Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 5:03 PM

Hi all, we have new Haggle with Virgin guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 25-08-2015 at 4:06 PM.
Page 4
    • carlsorff
    • By carlsorff 11th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    carlsorff
    Just been chatting to VM. I cancelled a month ago all my £55 package (200Mb, TV medium, and phone line weekends) because it was going up to £67. Obviously no way Im paying all that. So they lowered the price to £48 by ditching the phone line, BB from 200 to 100, and TV from More TV to Mix TV. Didn't realised that it was a really bad deal till I looked and compared bills. Luckily I was in the cooling off period and today definitely cancelled. The guy on the phone talked so badly about Vodafone BB, Sky and BT that he nearly convinced me to stay paying even more! After telling him I shopped around he asked me how much was going BT to charge me, I answered £52 for 76Mb, TV with BTsport included and landline with weekend calls. His answer was "sorry but not, can't match it. Virgin Services will be disconnected in 7days.

Dont mind to be disconnected actually, but after 6 years with them I have not been offered anything honest. Just £4 less by ditching the phone and downgrade TV & BB. Really?? Treating customers like stupids it's not good.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 12th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 4,587 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    latecomer
    Guys, there is a current issue with the Tivo boxes at present.

A recent software update was done in prep for the launch of the new V6 box.

This update has effected older Tivo 500mb boxes. It's slowing them right down and causing menu issues.

Newer boxes it is not effecting. They will not swap your box though.

A new update is being worked on to resolve the issue.
    Originally posted by JB162
    To be honest it doesn't matter what the cause is - Virgin CS are happy denying anything is wrong with them in general and suggesting booking engineer visits to take a look.

I'm waiting for my call back tonight regarding my cancellation and will see what they say. My BB is down to 2-3Mbps download - even the upload speeds are better than this. Tivo is almost unusable at times.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 12th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    I complained to Virgin via Resolver about the 6th price hike in 3 years.

Got a callback, I said how disappointed I was, I said it was unaffordable.

I was paying £43.75pm for 200mbps Internet only and was out of contract.

Guy offered me a few things but the "best" was 50meg @ £30 something (I lost interest after he said 30). I said just cancel it because I'm fed up of constant price rises.

I refused all offers and he said he'd call back. He did...and proceeded with disconnection! I can't believe he didn't have a better offer.

Oh well.

Haven't had a retentions call yet. I'm due to be cut off on 21st. Perhaps going the Resolver route wasn't the best way? Should they have tried to ring me back by now?

Shame that SSE broadband/cashback deal ended, that was superb.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 12th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    • 4,587 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    latecomer
    I got a call tonight but just as I was putting childto bed to asked him to phon back in 30 mins - still waiting 4 hours later! I'm sure they will phone back another night.........
    • JB162
    • By JB162 13th Oct 16, 12:12 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162

Guy offered me a few things but the "best" was 50meg @ £30 something (I lost interest after he said 30). I said just cancel it because I'm fed up of constant price rises.

I refused all offers and he said he'd call back. He did...and proceeded with disconnection! I can't believe he didn't have a better offer.

Oh well.

Haven't had a retentions call yet. I'm due to be cut off on 21st. Perhaps going the Resolver route wasn't the best way? Should they have tried to ring me back by now?

Originally posted by darkh0rse
    If Complaints have been involved, Customer Relations (Retentions) will not get involved. Therefore you will not get a call.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 13th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    cjdavies

Oh well.

Originally posted by darkh0rse
    Never had my callback and I was offered the same, I had to phone 4 hours before being disconnected and mine was never a complaint.
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 13th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    darkh0rse
    Hrmm. I did wonder about complaints/retentions. Ta folks.

I can hang on a little while with 4G to see if they ring me after disconnection.

I'll let you know if they do ring me back!
    • TP32
    • By TP32 29th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TP32
    Cancelled my virgin media today paying mid 50s for mid range tv and 150meg bb and weekend calls. Wanting a decent deal with sky sports so hoping for a call back. Rang Sky for a check price to use against Virgin and have offered me Complete TV Bundle with all movies and sky sports HD and box sets etc with unlimited fibre bb for £58.34/ month. Would switch now if it wasnt for the slower internet. Lets see if I can haggle Virgin down a bit if they call back...
    • Virgin_haggler
    • By Virgin_haggler 1st May 17, 11:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Virgin_haggler
    Hi,
    We have the Virgin fibre 100mb/s deal which costs £45 p/m and is coming up for renewal next month. I want to reduce our cost but I can't see any competitors offering the same speed. How can we reduce our bill?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 1st May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Mister G
    First thing to ask yourself is - do you really need 100Mb?

If not, then the BT Wholesale 76Mb product, offered by a number of ISPs (BT Infinity 2) may well be fast enough for you.

Obviously you need to know if it is available in your area by putting your phone number/postcode into samknows.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

This will then give you a bargaining point with VM.
    • Virgin_haggler
    • By Virgin_haggler 1st May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Virgin_haggler
    We rely on the 100mb/s for streaming as we don't have tv. We aren't looking to reduce speed.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 1st May 17, 12:56 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Mister G
    We rely on the 100mb/s for streaming as we don't have tv. We aren't looking to reduce speed.
    Originally posted by Virgin_haggler
    Even 4k UHD only needs 25Mb.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/what-broadband-speed-do-i-need-for-skype/

I suppose if you are watching four 4k streams at once, then you may need 100mMb.
    • Virgin_haggler
    • By Virgin_haggler 1st May 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Virgin_haggler
    Fair enough. Still not looking to change though.
    Is there any point moaning about the new customer offer being better value and emphasizing customer loyalty, etc?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 1st May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Mister G
    Is there any point moaning about the new customer offer being better value and emphasizing customer loyalty, etc?
    Reading the other posts on here, probably not.

It appears that you really need to threaten to cancel (or actually do it) to get a better deal.

Hence the reason for getting prices from other providers, even if you have no intention of going to them.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 1st May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    victor2
    Every year I find out what competitors using BT's fibre are offering and tell Virgin that. Doesn't matter if the alternative is a bit slower, just say you can live with it for the price. You've little intention of leaving anyway, but it is usually enough to get you a reasonable offer to keep your custom. May involve a new 12 month contract though, so bear that in mind.
    Works for me.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th May 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Has anyone managed to get a good existing customer deal on broadband and phone in a cabled area recently?

I just tried with a first general enquiry and was offered 12 month discounts around the 25% mark off standard prices. That didn't seem very generous to me, especially looking at new customer prices elsewhere.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • dave_dph
    • By dave_dph 6th May 17, 6:39 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    dave_dph
    Hi EachPenny

Have a look at the recent posts in the Virgin Retentions thread. I seem to recall someone posting £21 per month for phone and broadband which was offered by Outbound Retentions.
    • thor
    • By thor 7th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    thor
    Eachpenny, I got decent deal in March. 70Mbps/M+ Tivo and weekends landline for a total of 31 quid a month for 12 months.
    • Dobbiesox
    • By Dobbiesox 11th May 17, 11:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dobbiesox
    Snaggled Haggle with Virgin
    I have been with Virgin for many years and have phoned them annually to renegotiate my monthly bill. I haggled each year because I could not afford the continual price rises over the years. So last year, to reduce my package, I got rid of the extra Tivo box and later in the year I managed to get a £13 discount (£10 loyalty discount and £3 extra discount) for the phone, Medium + TV and broadband bundle and a £20 refund in my account. The £10 discount finished in Mar 17 so my current monthly payment is now £52.48 which in my view is expensive since I don't use the phone line and Virgin make it more expensive if you have a bundle without a phone line! That aside, on the whole, they were always good at renegotiating their deals which is why I stayed with them. However today, after phoning and speaking to the retention team, my view has changed. It is clear that Virgin has its customers at a disadvantage because VM can offer faster download speeds than any of their competitors, meaning that customers have no option but to stay with VM if they want to maintain the speed they have grown used to and pay whatever price increases virgin puts into effect. In my view they are taking advantage of their current superior status by ignoring customer loyalty and opting to hike their prices. I phoned twice today and spoke to two different people. The negotiating was extremely disappointing because there wasn't any. I tried every angle but they would not budge!!- Here's the offers: Firstly, they no longer do my TV package but can offer me a bundle, with less TV channels than I presently have, called Mix TV for £49 per month. Mmmm if my Maths serves me correctly that's a £3.48 difference between what I pay now and what I could be paying if I get the new deal with less TV channels - Apparently this includes a discounted rate too, since I am such a "loyal customer!" Alternatively, I could have broadband with phone line at £38 or broadband only at £32.25! New customers are being offered £42 month for faster gaming package, broadband and TV and Virgin seem more than happy for their existing client base to go elsewhere or pay more for less by staying with them!! On a final note: I was informed by a customer service advisor today that their discounts could change on a daily basis. So, perhaps if I phone in a couple of days time, change my accent and wear a false beard, I may get a better deal!! Or maybe I should cancel and then join as a new customer (wear a false tash this time). Ok! I can't help being disgruntled, but I don't like companies twisting and changing their packages constantly, then offering me less, at higher prices and confusing their consumers with packages which are not clear and straight forward.
    Lastly, In all the years I have been with Virgin, every time I negotiated a discount and received a price drop, I could guarantee that within a couple of months or so, a letter would arrive saying how they are increasing their prices by a few pounds to improve their service! I look forward to the day when Virgin competitors introduce a superior internet connection and can go head to head again! Or may I should not care and move to the Himalayas, rear Yaks, read books and write good old fashioned letters! One thing I can be sure of is that my days of being loyal to companies such as Virgin are numbered, especially when I don't feel valued!
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 12th May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    duggan1
    Seems like going in with the attitude that you are entitled to a discount is likely counterproductive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,352Users online

Martin's Twitter