Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 23Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 5:03 PM

Hi all, we have new Haggle with Virgin guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 25-08-2015 at 4:06 PM.
Page 3
    • idrewuk
    • By idrewuk 15th Feb 16, 2:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    idrewuk
    Hi all. I'm about to give the cancellation method a go myself! Can I just check in, am I able to 'cancel the cancellation' within the 30 day period? I don't actually want to stop the service, it's just a way to haggle!
    • idrewuk
    • By idrewuk 23rd Mar 16, 11:39 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    idrewuk
    Can anybody confirm if the cancellation period of 30 days can be cancelled itself?

ie, I'm going to cancel in the hope of getting a better deal but, if they don't contact me, I want to be able to stop it actually being cancelled!
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 23rd Mar 16, 12:25 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    visidigi
    Can anybody confirm if the cancellation period of 30 days can be cancelled itself?

ie, I'm going to cancel in the hope of getting a better deal but, if they don't contact me, I want to be able to stop it actually being cancelled!
    Originally posted by idrewuk
    yes...you can cancel during the cancellation period.
    • andyca
    • By andyca 23rd Mar 16, 1:42 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    andyca
    All those who managed to get a reduced rate, make sure you go back and check your bills. I waited 2-3 months before I realized the new rate was not going to be applied and when I phoned up to complain they said the price offered was on their system but they couldn't do it at that price anymore and I was 3 months in to my new 12 month contract at full price!

I got them to reduce the cost but it was still £5 per month more than we had agreed. I logged a complaint and was told it was my fault for not checking my bills!
    • itstheone
    • By itstheone 27th Mar 16, 3:55 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    itstheone
    Ive called them today to see if I can reduce my bill and its now been cancelled from 2nd march. I only wanted it Reduced abit not cancelled.
    Now I'm searching for other deals. Cant believe they wouldn't offer me any kind of deal on the phone. After being with them for 9 yrs.
    Originally posted by MARIADANCER
    I never got offered anything after 20+ years. I'll never get their TV back again now.
    • playfull_monkey
    • By playfull_monkey 15th May 16, 8:22 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    playfull_monkey
    Decent deal I think
    Had to cancel a contract and sign up to sky to get a good deal (cancelling sky was easy).

Ended up getting
    Xl tv
    L phone
    150 mps broadband
    Extra box
    Sky movies (no hd).

All for 62 per month. Original offer was for 83 per month and the closest on sky of could find was 55 but wasn't unlimited broadband (and a 50 setup fee). Was happy to go with sky but for the hassle of changing an extra few pounds wasn't much. Also the virgin includes bt and had faster broadband.

It was only the outbound retentions who could offer the deal though not the team you call up to cancel with.
    • Gunny
    • By Gunny 26th Aug 16, 3:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gunny
    Just did the disconnection dance with a very nice guy at Virgin

Paying £66 at the moment for 70 meg broadband XL tv and a phone i never use.

Had all my info laid out in front of me,for £50 with Sky but there Broadbands rubbish and no bt sports,also had the Virgin page in front of me saying if i was a new customer i could get the big Kahuna for £50.

He said the best from Sky will be 40 meg i said that will suffice(though it wouldn`t)
    I asked for the big Kahuna for £50 for 12 months like a new customer no chance

Manged to get a £50 credit ,upgrade to 100 meg, and my bill down to £61.48 till February then £64.48 for 18 months i would have been going up to £71 in november with the price increase,not bad when you factor in the £50 credit..Was no way i was getting anymore
    • YorksClare
    • By YorksClare 29th Aug 16, 1:17 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    YorksClare
    I recently got fed up with my VM package. I have had 20Mb broadband, medium TV and a landline (supposedly free weekends and evenings) for years, but the price has really crept up. Usually I pay about £70 per month.

Called VM, said that I am not up for being charged any more money because it is not worth it, especially as my old modem cannot work with a Wi-Fi converter and the TV box kept freezing up.

I was told that my basic package costs £57. Really? Because I hardly ever make any phone calls during the hours when I would incur a charge under the terms and conditions of the evenings and weekends deal, and yet my bill is rarely under £70!

The lady on the line promised me a TiVo box and Superhub 3.0 for a rate of £54 per month. The box and hub arrived fairly quickly and were a doddle to set up. It seems to be working on the bill front as well!
    Last edited by YorksClare; 29-08-2016 at 1:24 PM.
    • katjavm
    • By katjavm 20th Sep 16, 1:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katjavm
    Haggle with Virgin Media
    I just called Virgin Media (after reading this article, of course :-), and they offered me £9 per month off my monthly bill (for 6 months) + a better landline package :-)
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 20th Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    AndyPK
    What "better landline package" ? less LR
    free calls ?
    • fastford
    • By fastford 28th Sep 16, 8:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fastford
    getting a new deal with the price rise
    So like a few i was annoyed at Virgin's Price rise, even tho i was assured when i renewed only 2 months ago my price was fixed for 12 month (which it wasn't) and even tho i was already on a Loyalty discount the rise would of been over 10% of my bill, after ringing the cancellation department and getting no where i told them to cancel my services as the person on the phone didn't want to know and wouldn't offer me any discount what so ever. Knowing that i have 30 days to cancel my cancellation, i left it and didnt bother ringing back,after a week i received a phone call from retention dept asking why i was leaving, and what they could offer for me to stay, ive got my bill £10.50 cheaper then the price rise will be (would be £36.50) for 12 month and a upgrade on my equipment free, just remember if they wont offer you what you want when you get through to the cancellation team cancel it and wait for retention to ring you back after a week or 2 and if all else fails you can also phone them to tell them your staying.
    • bubblegun
    • By bubblegun 29th Sep 16, 3:37 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    bubblegun
    All those who managed to get a reduced rate, make sure you go back and check your bills. I waited 2-3 months before I realized the new rate was not going to be applied and when I phoned up to complain they said the price offered was on their system but they couldn't do it at that price anymore and I was 3 months in to my new 12 month contract at full price!

I got them to reduce the cost but it was still £5 per month more than we had agreed. I logged a complaint and was told it was my fault for not checking my bills!
    Originally posted by andyca
    Legally they cannot do this!

If it's noted on your account they should credit the difference so over a 12m period you don't pay any more or let you leave without penalty.

You need to escalate a complaint.

I see this is an old post!
    Last edited by bubblegun; 29-09-2016 at 3:38 AM. Reason: Old post
    • MrCinnamon
    • By MrCinnamon 5th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrCinnamon
    Success
    My package was going to be over £80/month. I called them and negotiated a reduction to £41/ month for 6 months then £51 for 12 months. The package has changed as I do not watch many (or any!) non-Freeview channels so reduced TV package from top to bottom-of-the-range. Broadband is still 200 Mbps. Line rental included.

• TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 7th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    Is everybody happy with the Virginia media Tivo box? I've had it for 3 years and from the beginning it was sluggish, the recent firmware update has made it worse. There are so many posts about the frustratingly slow box it's not my imagination.
    Ask those who post here a question .... who are you?! Consider vested interests before believing comments made by people here. Many are 'buy to let' landlords.
    Peace.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    My package was going to be over £80/month. I called them and negotiated a reduction to £41/ month for 6 months then £51 for 12 months. The package has changed as I do not watch many (or any!) non-Freeview channels so reduced TV package from top to bottom-of-the-range. Broadband is still 200 Mbps. Line rental included.

Originally posted by MrCinnamon
    not aimed at you.

When I rang them 28 days ago, I wanted BB only at 50Mbps best they could offer was £31.25 no chance, notice given, cancels on Monday and no callback
    • Daz2009
    • By Daz2009 8th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Daz2009
    Is everybody happy with the Virginia media Tivo box? I've had it for 3 years and from the beginning it was sluggish, the recent firmware update has made it worse. There are so many posts about the frustratingly slow box it's not my imagination.
    Originally posted by TickersPlaysPop
    It's crap and yes it's got worse since the update.
    That's one of the reasons I'm going back to Sky
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 11,350 Thanks
    worried jim
    not aimed at you.

When I rang them 28 days ago, I wanted BB only at 50Mbps best they could offer was £31.25 no chance, notice given, cancels on Monday and no callback
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Got 100mbps for £17.99 pm, just told them that's the plusnet price and I would be leaving for them as fed up of being ripped off.

I binned the phone line- never use it.

I binned TiVo and got a second hand BT Youview box off eBay for £48 and it does everything that I need, has all the channels I ever watch combined with my excellent Amazon Prime I have everything I need.

Should have done it years ago.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 8th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    datlex

Yes can be sluggish. Particularly I find if you try to use I Player or the red button or Netflix. Takes ages to load. Still where I am not practical to have Sky TV and the broadband speed via BT lines is under 5mbps.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 10th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    Legally they cannot do this!

If it's noted on your account they should credit the difference so over a 12m period you don't pay any more or let you leave without penalty.

You need to escalate a complaint.

I see this is an old post!
    Originally posted by bubblegun
    Legally they actually can do this!

The law allows for mistakes and all Virgin will say it's been a mistake and apologise.

Even if it goes to a CISAS complaint, CISAS can not force Virgin to honour these deals. See it happening all the time.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 10th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    Guys, there is a current issue with the Tivo boxes at present.

A recent software update was done in prep for the launch of the new V6 box.

This update has effected older Tivo 500mb boxes. It's slowing them right down and causing menu issues.

Newer boxes it is not effecting. They will not swap your box though.

A new update is being worked on to resolve the issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter