Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 2:28 PM.
Page 5
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 5th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Does your £25.99 deal include any free landline phone calls?
    • Rosie 321
    • By Rosie 321 10th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosie 321
    Long story short, having got only £4/month off with haggling with BT, switched and phoned BT to ask about old btinternet.com email and was told if only I'd used 0800 587 7218 for renewals I'd have got a better deal. So said try me, within cool off period, and got line rental, evening and w/e calls and broadband for £19.99 month and BT will back date it to mid September when my previous contract was due to be renewed so in credit for line rental paid in advance for in August and September bills... which made it worth more than switching since I'd been silly enough to somehow miss renewal date. If I'd switched I'd be paying the same for 12 months starting from now, so cheaper to get credit with BT. But next year...
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 10th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Ian011
    With BT's inclusive Evening and Weekend deals, you will be paying more than £7 per hour for weekday, daytime calls. Contrast with £8 per month for Unlimited Anytime calls.

Additionally, BT remains the only major landline provider to NOT offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers. This cannot last for much longer. Ofcom cut wholesale rates to make this possible.
    • hollyk1982
    • By hollyk1982 16th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hollyk1982
    Tried Haggling doesn't work!
    Just called BT as my B/B and Line rental package is going up to 49.99 per mth.

Explained that i had compared deals and wanted to move to plusnet who are offering the same deal for £29.99 per month (+£25 activation Fee).

The guy was helpful and polite but all the time i got the impression he was trying to sell me more products not reduce the amount i pay.

In the end he offered me a 2yr contract at £38.99 per month. still £9 more expensive than Plusnet. Then he came out with a classic line "how do you know Plusnet are reliable?" which i replied " they should be there are owned by BT!"

After much more debate and attempts to haggle he still wouldn't budge and suggested i move to plusnet.

success stories of haggling are probably result of someone being on a standard deal that is way more expensive than it should be and BT just putting them on the most competitive deal they can offer, in my opinion that's not haggling, haggling is when you manage to get them to better if not match the best deal on the market.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <success stories of haggling are probably result of someone being on a standard deal that is way more expensive than it should be and BT just putting them on the most competitive deal they can offer, in my opinion that's not haggling, haggling is when you manage to get them to better if not match the best deal on the market.>

Thats just not true as hundreds of posts on here will confirm .
    My own negotiations over the last three price rises have resulted in lower than current year charges . Never ever been on a standard contract either .
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 16th Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    Just called BT as my B/B and Line rental package is going up to 49.99 per mth.

Explained that i had compared deals and wanted to move to plusnet who are offering the same deal for £29.99 per month (+£25 activation Fee).

The guy was helpful and polite but all the time i got the impression he was trying to sell me more products not reduce the amount i pay.

In the end he offered me a 2yr contract at £38.99 per month. still £9 more expensive than Plusnet. Then he came out with a classic line "how do you know Plusnet are reliable?" which i replied " they should be there are owned by BT!"

After much more debate and attempts to haggle he still wouldn't budge and suggested i move to plusnet.

success stories of haggling are probably result of someone being on a standard deal that is way more expensive than it should be and BT just putting them on the most competitive deal they can offer, in my opinion that's not haggling, haggling is when you manage to get them to better if not match the best deal on the market.
    Originally posted by hollyk1982
    What you've posted is probably a familiar story to what many people get from BT, as it just seems down to pure luck whether people get offered a deal or not. The only other thing for you to do is take the plunge and go ahead and sign up for plusnet (or whoever), and you might get an offer from BT to stay with them. There's no guarantee though, despite what some people say on here.

I managed to get a deal surprisingly easily last year, however, it turned into a bit of a nightmare before I actually got it (I had similar conversations to the one you had, and being told I couldn't possibly have been offered the deal I said as they couldn't discount it to any less than £38.99). So this year, I'm going to phone them once, and then just move unless they give me what I want. They are not worth the hassle.
    • Goldust
    • By Goldust 20th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Goldust
    I'm just over a month off the end of my BT deal so it's haggling/leaving time!

Saw above someone had used 0800 587 7218 to get a good deal.

I have a letter from BT asking me to "review my options" on 0800 678 1961.

Is the first number legitimate? I'm not sure what my best strategy is. I'm coming off the back of their Black Friday deal from last November...
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 20th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pauleb80
    My experiences of haggling with BT aren't great. For about a month (as coming to end of new customer offer) I tried to haggle with them but the best I ever got was £30 for unlimited fibre broadband and weekend calls - which was the same package I was on but only paying about £18 as a new customer. I actually said I'd be better off leaving and coming back in a years time as a new customer and they agreed. Crazy if you ask me. Left for Sky (who I'd been with previously so know it's good here) and got unlimited fibre and line rental for £16. That's almost half price of BT's best offer. Granted no calls but never use the landline anyway. I may or may not return to BT in a year depending on offers available at that time.
    • HaggleThemLow
    • By HaggleThemLow 20th Nov 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HaggleThemLow
    I was in the middle of a 2 year deal and phoned them to ask if I could cancel because of the upcoming price increase.
    Was offered an upgrade to fibre which I accepted, had a few problems with the order process though, which resulted in me getting the price down even more.

Net result
    Unlimited 52mb BB incl LR, no installation charge, £23.99pm
    BT sport £3.75pm
    Both fixed for 18 months
    £9.99 for router delivery.

I stick with BT for my broadband because of the BT sport and have always been able to get a good deal for both.
    • HATTERS81
    • By HATTERS81 20th Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HATTERS81
    Hi, I received the BT price increase email about a week ago and my contract will be going up by £5.25 a month which I'm obviously not happy about. I'm sure I read somewhere that if I sign up to a new 18 month contract my deal which I'm on now will be frozen with no price increases? Not sure if I've got that right? My increases are broadband & calls £2.50, BT Sport £1.25, BT Sport HD pack £1.50.
    Thank you in advance
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 21st Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    You need to phone them up and say you are thinking of leaving because of the price increase and ask them what they can do for you. It appears that if you do agree a new deal with them, and question the upcoming price rise, they will likely say your price won't go up in January. I don't think they offer to freeze prices for the length of your minimum term contract, just that they won't put your price up in January.

Edit: I've just renewed as they offered me the same deal I had last year, and got a deal on my mobile contract with them. Future price rises will affect the price, but when they happen you can just phone them again to renegotiate.
    Last edited by mac.d; 21-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    • Goldust
    • By Goldust 23rd Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Goldust
    Same as a few of you in here I got the bare minimum from BT to stay. £30.49 a month for Infinity 2 (I think - said I wasn't bothered about that) and they wanted £7.50 for BT sport but that's not HD.

Apparently free BT sport is for new customers only! So I'll be off thanks for nothing BT...
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 28th Nov 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    suejb2
    B.t
    You need to phone them up and say you are thinking of leaving because of the price increase and ask them what they can do for you. It appears that if you do agree a new deal with them, and question the upcoming price rise, they will likely say your price won't go up in January. I don't think they offer to freeze prices for the length of your minimum term contract, just that they won't put your price up in January.

Edit: I've just renewed as they offered me the same deal I had last year, and got a deal on my mobile contract with them. Future price rises will affect the price, but when they happen you can just phone them again to renegotiate.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    I telephoned at the weekend to ask if my parents can leave their contract without charge because of their price increase . He said yes but only within 39 days of receiving the email regarding the increase.
    I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 29th Nov 17, 10:00 AM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please >

NO as the account has not been informed of any increase .
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 29th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    suejb2
    Bt
    <I don't remember getting any email I heard about the increase on here.

Can I still leave in contract without fee please >

NO as the account has not been informed of any increase .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Thanks for the swift reply. Will they be informed at some point so I can then make an informed choice to stay or leave?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 29th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    They will be informed. Just be aware, it can be sent either by email or a letter, and everyone with BT will get one before the end of December. Make sure you check the email address that BT have on your parents account, just in case they did get an email and its been marked as spam or something. If you don't receive anything by the end of the year, I'd contact them again and say they must inform you and you haven't received anything but you are aware the prices are going up because it states it on their website so you want to cancel.

BT - Price changes 7 January 2018
    Last edited by mac.d; 29-11-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 29th Nov 17, 1:15 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Mogley
    Just attempted a haggle with BT after receiving my notice of price rises yesterday. I currently have BT infinity 2 £34.49, Entertainment Max £11.00 and weekend calls £3.00. Total £48.49/month. The best they could do was match my existing deal less £3.50/month for free BT Sport for 12 months on Entertainment Plus. This was not good enough compared to other deals that are around at the moment so I have cancelled and gone to Talk Talk.
    There was not much haggling involved because, with BT's current pricing structure (because of the rising cost to them to supply BT Sport), I think he could tell that he could get nowhere near £36/month. This is for Fastest Broadband, TV plus with entertainment, kids channels and £120 cash back via TCB. This deal suits my family's needs perfectly.
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 29th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Thanks for the swift reply. Will they be informed at some point so I can then make an informed choice to stay or leave?
    Originally posted by suejb2

It might be on their BT account page .
    • murph0
    • By murph0 30th Nov 17, 1:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    murph0
    BT not moving
    After being on FTTC Infinity 2 for a few years along with Youview TV and never having received a new hub 5 or smarthub (hub 6) or youview box upon recontracting I decided that I wasn't happy with the latest price increases.
    They wanted to charge me for Sports recently so I dropped that and had knocked a little off my infinity 2 price taking it to £47.50 per month and £2.50 off of my TV taking it to £7.50 which gave me a total of over £58 with evening and weekend calls.
    I phoned to see if I could get any sort of price drop considering everyone on the cheaper infinity 1 is being upgraded to infinity 2 speeds for free so I pay for infinity 2 for some extra cloud space which I have no use for.

After mentioning that Talktalk were doing the same infinity 2 package for £27.50 and saying I don't expect them to match it but I was unhappy paying for infinity 2 when people paying less for infinity 1 were getting the same speeds I hoped they could drop me to infinity 1 for a bit of a price drop.
    They said it would cost me £1.50 more to drop to infinity 1, lol. After another 20 minutes or so of back and forth with them offering to drop my TV and save me £7.50 while holding the current prices for the rest I said I would have to leave and was then put through to retentions.
    The acrington retentions office gave me short shrift after I explained my position from scratch yet again saying I was on the best deal and they couldn't budge on prices at all. Needless to say I asked to leave early without penalty due to the price increase and he put it through.
    I then completed the TalkTalk sign up for £27.50 for 76mb fttc plus £7.50 for anytime calls. I'm just happy I hadn't paid the extortionate sum for FTTP and had been stuck with BT.

After all the money BT saved by not giving me new hubs etc, over the years or prepaid debit cards from me leaving and returning I'd have thought they would have dropped my price a little and still made a lot more from me than their customers being charged current prices.
    • NikiG
    • By NikiG 30th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NikiG
    Upset with BT
    I have been with BT for 30 years and am now paying £53 for 76MB Broadband + TV Essentials. It seems that every so often I get offered a free upgrade and then in my next contract renewal I have to pay the full price for that bundle (was getting 52MB and was then upgraded for free to 76M). My current contract ends June 2018. I received the email saying my bundled would increase by £2.50 pm in Jan unless I signed up to another 18 mth contract.
    So I called BT to see if they would give me a cheaper deal. I was told that they could not offer me anything less and if I left BT I would have to pay a termination fee. Asking why I couldn't get their advertised £33.83 package or at least something similar they said its only for new customers. I was then advised that because of this call, I now had 30 days to either accept their terms or leave and pay the termination fee - I felt threatened.

Last year I had a stroke and this year I lost my job (although I don't claim benefits). Despite telling the BT lady this, that I needed to reduce my costs, she continued to insist I could not renegotiate my bundle. Apart from leaving BT I don't know what to do next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin