Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 9,688Posts
    • 24,705Thanks
    benbenandme
    The next chapter ....
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    The next chapter .... 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM
    Hello and thanks for popping by; some of you may know me already, I've been here quite a while although not recently. Its a good time for me to return, things are starting to get sorted again in my personal life and I'm ready to start logging things here again to eep me on the straight and narrow.

I'll be honest, I'm not a dfw but I think of myself as one as I was a single parent for years, and am again now. I am pretty good with my money, I am an obsessive list-maker and I am a geek who enjoys all stuff financial

Over the next few days I will be getting my head round where my finances are currently, setting a few goals and getting ready to go back to work next week, (I work in a school so have been enjoying 6 weeks off ).

Today I have bagged up the contents of our penny jar (£130 ) which is split between me and Mr S (my lovely man, we have decided to split and he is moving out soon but we're hopeful we'll remain friends). I've also written a lovely long list of things I need to do before I go back to work next week, I've crossed several bits off already. I have also just put on the 9th and final load of washing wince we returned from camping at the weekend. Lots of ironing to look forward to there then

I'm off to my kettlebells class in a couple of hours then will carry on sorting out stuff tonight.

Please stick around and chip in whenever you like
    Save £6k in 2016: £8654 / £6000 #116
Page 38
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Sep 16, 8:50 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all I had an unexpected viewing yesterday - I missed a call from the estate agent, called back within 5 minutes and they said someone had come into the office wanting to view so they had taken them round (I live 500m from their office) unfortunatley I have had a busy week and was leaving the tidying up until the weekend, so there were coffee cups around, unmade beds etc Never mind, I have another viewing this morning too, hopefully they might be interested

Ds is going out with his mates today, I'm seeing my bestie to do more planning/sorting for the Christmas fair. We have now got the raffle tickets ordered, so that's one major job out of the way

Moneywise nothing else to report at the moment, I do have a mountain of surveys to get through in my inbox, I may do a few this morning and then plough through the rest tonight.

The flat is now clean and tidy, I just need to hoover through and take the rubbish out.
    • LABMUM
    • By LABMUM 17th Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    LABMUM
    I have just read your diary from the beginning and have subscribed. Can I ask what app you use on your phone to track your expenses?
    EFC #185 - £220.00/£1000
    £2.00 Savers #95
    50p Savers Club #8
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hello Labmum I use one called Spending
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 24th Sep 16, 7:59 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, another weekend rolls around Ds is going to his Dads in a bit, then I need to hoover through and go out as I have a viewing at 11. I need to go and get Mum a birthday present (for tuesday) then it's an afternoon of watching Soccer Saturday for me Tonight I'm going to bestie's house and we're getting the raffle tickets ready for distribution as they arrived yesterday It's all starting to become a bit real now
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, apologies for no updates for a week, it's been a crazy busy week at work and ds has been having meltdowns again so all in all its not been great However, the weekend has arrived again and it's a new month too, so time to get things straight and in order.

The plan for the weekend looks like this:
    • Do a Tesco food order for delivery tomorrow
    • Deliver leaflets
    • Ironing
    • Clear washing basket
    • Find ds trainers
    • Cancel ds old phone contract
    • Chek MOT due date
    • Winter Fair stuff
    • End of month banking
    • Clean kitchen
    • CLean bathroom
    • Clear all surveys
    • Catch up with all ds homework

Ds has lost his computer / xbox due to his behaviour so I may be in for some grumbly moments this weekend too He;s currently out doing his paper-round and it's chucking it down and thundering ... it was fine when he left the house so he only has a hoodie on rather than his coat, I have a feeling the novelty of his paper-round might be starting to wear off now
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 44,860 Posts
    • 155,438 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes. Paper round novelty wears off soon.
    I sometimes used to drive my DS round
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    He came back thoroughly drenched, I wrung his trousers out before chucking in the wash He got paid today (£23) he gave me £10 towards his box live and £10 to go in his savings, leaving him with £3

Tesco order is done, being delivered in the morning, now I'm going to do some surveys, the weather forecast say the rain will stop around 11 so we'll go and do the leaflets then.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Surveys are all done
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Do a Tesco food order for delivery tomorrow DONE
    Deliver leaflets 200 DONE, LOADS MORE TO GO
    Ironing
    Clear washing basket
    Find ds trainers DONE
    Cancel ds old phone contract
    Chek MOT due date
    Winter Fair stuff
    End of month banking HALF-WAY THROUGH
    Clean kitchen
    CLean bathroom
    Clear all surveys DONE
    Catch up with all ds homework

Time to put my feet up on the sofa with Soccer Saturday for the next couple of hours
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Grrr the one morning in a fortnight when ds and I can have a lie-in and the damn battery in the smoke alarm decide to start running out and beeping at 6.15am, meaning I have to get out of bed, find a screwdriver, clamber on a chair and disconnect the damn thing GRRRRRRRRR

So, I've had my bath, ds is vegging on the sofa, time to get dressed and get on with the day. Plans today include more homework with ds, more leaflets with ds, taking the dog to be groomed, tesco shopping being delivered, buying a new battery for aforementioned smoke alarm, ironing and no doubt other such exciting stuff
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    And another week has flown by It's been busy at work, ds and I have both had colds and the dog still hasn't recovered from the groomers last weekend

However, on the bright side my favourite football club have donated £500 to our pta fair We've also acquired a few other prizes for the raffle and have started selling the tickets too, so things are starting to get going now

So this weekend ds is going to his Dads in the morning, I will be doing fair stuff most of the weekend. The flat has been tidied tonight, the washing machine is on but the basket is overflowing still. So, it will be the usual routine of cleaning, washing, ironing, dog walking, food shopping, clearing surveys, catching up on sleep and chilling out, but this week there isn't any premier league footie to go with it
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Oct 16, 8:01 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    All surveys done, banking sorted - csa, wages and money from Halifax account moved into savings
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning, so I took the dog to the park this morning and he still wasn't right, so we went to the vets and he has infected anal glands and a temperature So he now has a weeks worth of antibiotics and antiinflammatories and I need to take him back on wednesday to see how he's getting on

I also took ds school shoes back to M&S as the sole fell off last week, they refunded no problem, although I duly spent that on a couple of jumpers
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 9th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Yesterday we made quite a bit of progress with the fair - we now have a comprehensive to do list of everything we need to get done before the event - absolutely tonnes to keep us busy!!

This morning I have done 2 lots of washing, cleared up, now I need my shower then hoover through etc before ds is due back at 11.30. I may go and get the dog from Mums this morning and take him down the beach for a bit.

Ds has broken the pedal on his bike, Lord knows how, it's literally snapped in half so that needs fixing too. I popped into Sainsburys last night and got some food bits to keep us going so no food order being delivered today.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    And another week has passed ... ds has not been good this week, he is excluded on monday so I will be staying at home with him too He is a very stroppy teenager at the moment, I text his Dad yesterday to let him know and he hasn't even bothered to reply yet

Tesco shopping should be here within the next half an hour, then it's an afternoon of watching soccer saturday and hoping we can pick up three points

I had another viewing yesterday but haven't heard anything yet, guessing they weren't interested either.

This morning we went and registered at the cash and carry, so that will be useful for the Pta. Guess I should go for another weekend to do list
    • Washing mountain
    • Ironing
    • Unblock blocked toilet
    • Tyre puncture (yet again)
    • Fix lights on bike
    • Clear surveys from inbox
    • Ds homework x 6
    • Find Mums shopping list
    • Order flush for toilet (ds managed to knock it off AND flush it away
    • Move ds paper-round money into his savings
    • Christmas shoebox
    • Start xmas shopping planning
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    All surveys cleared from my inbox, £11 withdrawn from one survey site, off to update signature Oh and Bournemouth are winning 4-1
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 16th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Update time:

Washing mountain - one load to go
    Ironing
    Unblock blocked toilet Done
    Tyre puncture (yet again)
    Fix lights on bike
    Clear surveys from inbox Done
    Ds homework x 6 - 4.5 done
    Find Mums shopping list
    Order flush for toilet (ds managed to knock it off AND flush it away
    Move ds paper-round money into his savings
    Christmas shoebox - Bought half of the stuff
    Start xmas shopping planning

Oh, and Bournemouth won 6-1 in the end Happy days here

Today I am going to try and clear most of the list above, take the dog for a decent walk and do some housework. I also need to go and buy a chicken as I forgot it from the tesco shopping for todays roast
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning, so today is a work from home day and it feels very strange. So far I have cleaned and tidied the cupboard under the sink and the hall cupboard. I have also finally installed the printer that I bought about 6 months ago so at least now I can print homework off for ds.

I am going to sort my banking in a bit, I have a few other bits and pieces to fit in too; pay in 2 x cheques, take the bike to the shop for a puncture and lights, get bestie's son a birthday present for Wednesday, buy a 9v battery for the smoke alarm.

Other than that it will be a bit of housework, work emails, some Winter Fair work too.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 9,688 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've paid in the cheques, we go back and collect the bike in twenty minutes, all ds work is done, ironing is done, I've had a bath, paid ds paper-round money into his savings. So all that is left for today is to make dinner, watch the footie tonight, and potter
    • Alisonpennypincher
    • By Alisonpennypincher 17th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    Alisonpennypincher
    Sounds like working from home is productive for you BBaM. Hope that your dog is better now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter