Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    • 477Posts
    • 1,805Thanks
    bellevie
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life
    • 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life 23rd Aug 15 at 9:38 PM
    I'm a single parent to 1 child.

I work for a public sector charitable organisation, whom are making major changes. There are a few jobs remaining, though we have all been guaranteed the same job & pay if we transfer to the northern office...200 miles away.

So after a few weeks of thinking it over, I am becoming more and more certain its the way to go.

As a single parent, where I am, I will never be able to afford a home of our own. Its quite an important goal to me, it doesn't need to be big, a small 2 bed terrace or flat will suffice. I would just like some security for DD's future, for my old age, and some space within the monthly budget to save for uni costs, or help her with her own deposit so that she isn't struggling into her 30's as I have done.

So, I have decided I will either:
    1) Take the offer and move up early part of 2016, renting initially with a view to having a deposit sorted within 3 years.

2) Get a better paid role in the southern office save some more, find a different job and move in 2 years, perhaps slightly more choice in where I move to? Though DD will be 2 years older so I am conscious that this may impact her more later than me.

Either way, I am moving. Our current life in this lovely, beautiful town is just not financially sustainable.

I'm starting my moving fund at £210.64, no set target yet just as much as I can so that I rely on the relocation package as little as possible.

Here goes........
    Last edited by bellevie; 24-08-2015 at 8:14 PM.
Page 22
    • Plush
    • By Plush 6th Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Plush
    DD after being so isolated for much of her life suddenly is part of this gigantic crew of young cousins. I keep waiting for a melt down, or some form of jealousy.....nothing! Its as though she has been waiting for something like this her whole life.

As have I truth be told. I didn't realise just how much of a gap there was in my life waiting to be filled by someone like him.

So...in February 2018 a long 9 years since I last lived with someone....he is moving in!!!

I am looking forward to this new chapter of our lives, exciting times ahead!!
    Originally posted by bellevie
    Congrats and best of luck!

I don't know you (haven't been following your diary until now), but this part of your message gives me so much hope, especially the first paragraph... I am in a very similar situation you were in, but 5 years single and more debt. Do you mind me asking how old is your DD?
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 8,406 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh Bellevie that's wonderful - so pleased for you all!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• bellevie
    • By bellevie 10th Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    bellevie
    Thank you

DD is 9. She had plenty of male role models in terms of her godfather, uncle and one of my closest friends but we only really see them individually a few times a year due to distances. So DP is the first male to have full involvement.

Its gone unbelievably well, never could have imagined something like this just slotting into place.

I was single a long time, the relationship ended whilst I was pregnant. It was quite a traumatic break up so I just couldn't entertain dating for quite a few years afterwards. When things started to fall into place, I lost my nan quickly followed by my mum so it set me back a few years. I just needed to focus on each day as it came.

It was only last year, a colleague showed an interest, it lead to a few dates not going anywhere but made me think OK,....maybe I can do this.

I tentatively signed up to online dating, I was on and off for a year maybe. I had a habit of signing up, then running after a couple of weeks. Re-attempting a couple of months later. Not because of bad experiences it just seemed so alien to me.

I met a couple of nice people for one off dates, no one I clicked with.

DP was the 3rd person I met, we chatted for a good couple of months, he put no pressure on me to meet which I found quite refreshing. We met for a walk around a duck pond the most relaxed and easy date I've ever had. We clicked from the start, which freaked me out a bit. I realised I wasn't going to be able to run from this one...not that I let on.

He said I kept him on his toes quite a bit, which he had never experienced and he liked. I didn't realise it at the time, but looking back I really did give him a bit of a hard time. I kept a real distance emotionally, part of that was DD, but I think also maybe some kind of subconscious testing to see what he was made off? He definitely proved himself anyway
    Last edited by bellevie; 10-12-2017 at 9:50 PM.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    November 88%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 10th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    bellevie
    Just returned from a long trip for a funeral on DP's side, it was a beautiful service, the sun that came out on that day I felt was little sign.

We left this morning after an initial shock that we might get stuck when we woke up to inches of snow. We waited for the ploughs and gritters to arrive then set off home before it could resettle.

We took my car this time instead of his van, it made the driving easier on us both sharing the journey but we worked out my car is slightly more expensive in terms of fuel.

The weekend was a bit rushed so aside from the food at the funeral we pretty much lived off fast food :/ I don't think I could manage another burger for at least 6 months. Im really not used to it, DD & I would go to mc ds maybe once a month if that. DP eats it regularly and with the stops at services each way wanting something hot there wasn't much choice available.

It was back to a good home cooked meal tonight though, so smiles all round

I have a day off work tomorrow. I need a small food shop and to find a birthday cake for DD! 9 years.....I can barely believe how fast its gone.

A couple more Christmas presents for DP's side. I done mine months in advance, he is lastminute.com. I'm going to have to put in some work there
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    November 88%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin