Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    • 474Posts
    • 1,794Thanks
    bellevie
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life
    • 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life 23rd Aug 15 at 9:38 PM
    I'm a single parent to 1 child.

I work for a public sector charitable organisation, whom are making major changes. There are a few jobs remaining, though we have all been guaranteed the same job & pay if we transfer to the northern office...200 miles away.

So after a few weeks of thinking it over, I am becoming more and more certain its the way to go.

As a single parent, where I am, I will never be able to afford a home of our own. Its quite an important goal to me, it doesn't need to be big, a small 2 bed terrace or flat will suffice. I would just like some security for DD's future, for my old age, and some space within the monthly budget to save for uni costs, or help her with her own deposit so that she isn't struggling into her 30's as I have done.

So, I have decided I will either:
    1) Take the offer and move up early part of 2016, renting initially with a view to having a deposit sorted within 3 years.

2) Get a better paid role in the southern office save some more, find a different job and move in 2 years, perhaps slightly more choice in where I move to? Though DD will be 2 years older so I am conscious that this may impact her more later than me.

Either way, I am moving. Our current life in this lovely, beautiful town is just not financially sustainable.

I'm starting my moving fund at £210.64, no set target yet just as much as I can so that I rely on the relocation package as little as possible.

Here goes........
    Last edited by bellevie; 24-08-2015 at 8:14 PM.
Page 21
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 8th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Yesterday turned out to be a lot better than expected. DD loved her first level 2 Ice Skating class, learnt 3 new things within 30 minutes I was truly amazed.

Our next trek turned out to be a 7 hour round trip, but it was a fantastic day, I took my friend along for company & he made me laugh until my belly hurt.

I'm paying for it now, so so so tired!

Today was busy, but productive. 2nd yearly review tomorrow, the one for my first job went fine. I'm expecting this one to be good too.....well I hope so!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 12th May 17, 7:24 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Busy but enjoyable week.

Yearly review was good, it felt good to get such good feedback on my work.

Wednesday I helped out on a school trip to a museum, 6 hours with 30 8 year olds and I was truly ready to sleep the second I walked through the front door. I genuinely do not know how teachers do it!

Back to work and the last two days where insanely busy.

Monday I haven't got many appointments, its generally a visiting day but my cases are up to date. I may have a few things come in over the weekend but if not I will start the steps on a project I have been mulling over.

Tomorrow DD has swimming then a birthday party to attend. Sunday is Ice Skating....she still asks what we will be doing in between things! I'm quite happy to chill out, catch up with things around the house but she would be out every minute of every day if she had the chance.

No spends planned things are tight, but only 8 days til payday!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 14th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    I was pleasantly surprised to check my senses account (givaudan) and see I had 8000 points! Redeemed £5 amazon voucher boosting my total to £16.98, forgot I even had anything in both my amazon & senses account.

S&S I had 25000 points so I requested £20 argos vouchers, amazon was out of stock. I will put them towards the Christmas/birthday collection.

Weekend has gone well, DD enjoyed her clubs & the party, Little trip to the park today enjoying the gentle sunshine.

Next weekend will be the first in a few that we haven't had anything to do in addition to swimming & ice skating, I'm secretly looking forward to it. I say that, when DD is asking me for the 80th time what we are doing in between her clubs I will probably wish we did have something else planned!

Payday in 6 days, seriously looking forward to that....not that it will be availably for unplanned spends, every penny is allocated. This month will be the last payment towards our summer break (UK based again) and a huge chunk will go towards summer holiday childcare. So it will go out as fast as it comes in, but at least for around a week I feel relatively wealthy!

I need to get back into Ynab again. I lost the download when I had to carry out a factory reset on PC. Im sure I will have the original license number in my email somewhere, I may start that tonight.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 16th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    3 money saving things today today.

1)Cancelled my 4 weekly bin cleans, price was going up by £2 I was looking for anyway to cut back and this is something I could really do myself even if its not quite as good a job.
    2)Called up and requested a water meter earlier than planned. Expecting to save a minimum of £10 per month hopefully more, my bill when DD was a baby was something like £12 a month! Its currently £33!
    3)Purchased my lunch & snack for the whole week - 30p! Small loaf of bread, pate and a pack of choc bars - pate on toast is my usual lunch at the minute, chocolate for my 3pm dip. £2.50 of nectar vouchers helped granted!!!

Its pay day on Friday and it cannot come soon enough.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 23rd May 17, 10:34 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi Bellevie, Your DD makes me laugh so much wanting to do so much during the day. My DD used to be like that but now she is older she is a proper home bird.

I'm glad to hear that you are still saving towards your moving fund, our moving has been mostly for the best. Unfortunately we have had to rehome Mr D which broke my heart but I know is being looked after better than we ever could. The dogs just didn't get along at all when we moved in. Heartbroken.

We have prom to look forward to next month and DD is hopefully in line for an apprenticeship but also has a place at college if it doesn't happen.

I am the same with a few tight months until August, but with the new job came a good pay rise as I have gone full time so after August I should only have two debts left.

The ice skating sounds really good, we are quite a way from the nearest local ice rink. We did have a birthday party for DD about four years ago though and it was quite reasonable. Taking a mini bus full of teenage girls and skating with them was hilarious. Luckily my friend has a bf at the time who had a mini bus so they came along too. I then took them all home and did nuggets and fries and they loved it. Could be an idea for a future birthday.

I'm hopefully going to be sticking around now as I really need help to get though these next few months.

Take care.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £104.63 DEBT 2 = £853.00 DEBT 3 = £297.41
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £700.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £3150.00 DEBT 9 £22419.88
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 27th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Hi Tink,

Its great to hear from you!
    I am sorry to hear about Mr D, I truly am. I'm glad that you found a good home for him though.
    DD has been talking about a skating party for her birthday, and it would be quite nice in December. The prices seem reasonable, so I will consider it though I really need to see how the next few months go.
    Fantastic news on your DD's apprenticeship & college opportunity, never a bad thing to have options.
    Congratulations on your new job, you will have your deposit saved in no time at all.
    I will catch up on your thread today, hope you are enjoying the weekend!

xx
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 27th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Busy week at work. I done so well with my cheap lunches (peanut butter on toast) Friday however I just couldn't take anymore toast, I needed caffeine but was too hot for tea so I opted for a Sainsbury's lunch deal. I hate getting these when I compare the prices of my weekly toast, but I think my body was short on all the bad stuff I needed to get through the day!

Just a week since payday, all bills out leaving just enough for food & petrol in account.
    I did transfer my childcare savings right away, put a higher amount in my help to buy isa.

I even managed to get out for a date, my second in 2 months get me!!! It went well, he wasn't my type - kind, relatively attractive but just no romantic spark for me. Still another not so scary date makes me a little less hesitant to accept other offers.

The babysitter is a lady who works at the after school club, she charges £5 per hour and both times I have been back within 2-3 hours. It has been nice to have me time, and to feel a little bit excited again.

I done a recent softener test for the survey company, today just received quite a large bottle of biological liquid to review. As well as the reward points it has saved me on both occasions adding those items to my shop (which were running low - super timing!)

I have an assignment to get on with for my course, I'm struggling to start myself off. I know once I start it will flow but the opening paragraph always seems to be the hardest. I might have to focus at other parts and work a little backwards otherwise I will end up running out of time. Its a biggy, but it covers multiple areas.

I will aim to make a start this week.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 28th May 17, 2:57 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    DD woke with a rash, the suncream I picked up in a rush - amber soleil hypo allergenic - she has reacted to. Like prickly heat rash almost all over her face. Grr. I will pick up a mini handbag size tube at Mr T I think save wasting so much money.

Ice skating was good, I cannot believe how good DD is on ice now. We didn't stay long as her friend wasn't skating after lessons, I think she felt a little lonely.

Yesterday on a trip to the park, we bumped into DD's school friend who has just moved round the corner to us, it was a funny surprise, I don't know the mum other than to say hi to. I saw her frequently at the after school club & breakfast club, then I kept seeing her on my lunch break in a different town to the school & my home, then the other week at DD's friends party (the birthday child is not in DD's year so I knew no one else at the party).
    It turned out they have the same dog as Mr T, though being a mixed breed their dog is very different, in size and a lot calmer! She did have over 2 years on Mr T though, I cannot wait until he is as calm as that!!!!

Anyway, I discovered she too is a single parent and has bought a house jointly with her mum locally. After congratulations this did lead to a mini rant from me about the shocking house prices at the minute, then I got back home and straight onto rightmove, ranted a little more in my head.

On the plus side, I did manage to put the maximum amount into my htb isa this month, I haven't managed that in a little while.

I'm not sure I will manage the same in June my mileage has been quite low this month, but hopefully I will be back on track for July.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 31st May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    I jinxed myself.

I do this almost every year without fail, quietly congratulate myself on zero sick days then something happens.
    This actually started the weekend, my back was unbelievably sore, bad each morning better by afternoon. This morning though was shocking. I struggled to get out of bed, I couldn't bend to get my shoes on. Let out a little internal cry with every step or movement I made (for fear of terrifying dd)

Luckily, Wednesday being my half day I wasn't overly worried thought I will take the max paracetamol, ibuprofen by midday I will be fine.
    Was I heck.
    I managed to get an apt at the doctor, acute lumbar spasms he diagnosed prescribed co-codamol, said keep as active as you can but nothing OTT. Oh this may make you drowsy.
    I worked out my hours, I had left enough time since my early morning meds, so took one instead of the two recommended. I was a bit surprised that the had given the maximum strength but he insisted nothing lower would work.
    £8.60 that prescription cost - I cannot remember the last prescription I had, I'm pretty sure it was around the £6 mark though.
    Well I'm glad I disregarded his advise and took one. Within an our of taking it, I felt like I had the gas and air tube taped to my mouth, I felt dizzy, my brain was foggy, it reminded me of being drunk - its a long long time since I have been drunk (years) but I remember the feeling clearly.
    I drank coffee and walked around impatiently hoping it would calm down before work - no chance.

So that's it, my first sick day (for myself) in almost 2 years I think and I call in not because of my actual illness, but because I feel as high as a kite....

I couldn't help but giggle telling my manager, I hope he knows me well enough to realise I was sincere.

Its starting to wear off a little, as it does I feel 'normal' but in pain
    I have to collect DD from the holiday club in a bit - I don't know how I got her there this morning, she looked quite scared to find me pushing against the wall and blowing at it
    I was actually thinking back to my 'deep breathing' during giving birth, the pain was on contraction scale, I figured it was worth a try, the alternative would have been to cry, collapse and not move an inch until the pain subsided.
    Getting to the car was an issue, but once I had awkwardly got in sitting tightly in the seat was the most comfortable I had been for 9 hours, I didn't want to get out of the car again.
    Oh and I had to pick up some shopping, aldi was right next to the pharmacy so whilst it was being sorted (so pre co-codamol) I thought I will do a quick shop, see me through til the weekend.
    I don't know what shoppers thought of me, hanging onto my trolley for dear life.

I can see the funny side to today, but if I laugh the pain starts to shoot down my back, so I wont laugh today. Hopefully I will be laughing tomorrow.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 31st May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    oh poor you bellevie, back pain can be hideous. Hope you feel better soon

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 1st Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Thank you Rosa, miles better today
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 1st Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    So, I slept solidly, and woke able to move a lot better than yesterday.

Ibuprofen was enough for the pain and I got to work and through the day fine. I couldn't quite believe the difference, I felt ancient when I woke yesterday.

Long weekend now. Off to visit family tomorrow expensive weekend in fuel costs alone, only a day trip though. They have a puppy who wont cope with Mr T just yet.

I will aim to finish first draft of my essay this week too. Then I will have a week to review and edit if needed.

Not much else to report atm, just a 'plod along' week really.
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 4th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Day trip done, just shy of 3 hours each way we didn't hit major major traffic, just a little slower around an airport which was to be expected - its been far worse on previous trips.

Another visit gets me back on rightmove, helptobuy etc. I do it every time, a pointless exercise until I have my deposit, which is taking a painfully long time. On the other hand it keeps me motivated.

I'm hoping the work related course I am doing will help me secure an internal transfer. I will be seriously comfortable for the first time in my life if I can transfer across to the other office on same pay.

I'm always reminded by my manager however that no one has left that office in over 10 years - I can see why

In the south its a high turnover, and I think purely the cost of living pushes people out. The pay is good for the location but for us singles its still a push. 3 people in the past few months from my team have left, two them right out to cheaper locations.

Im loathed to move into yet another rental, all those fees & removals. I'd rather hang tight until I have my deposit - that is unless a shockingly cheap property comes up that would allow me to save more & recover those fees within a year. I do keep an eye out just in case.

Just had tea, craving something sweet. Not a lot in, but we have eggs, milk, flour & nutella.....pancakes!!!!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 4th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi Bellevie

I hope you have started that essay lol.

I can really sympathise with you regarding the pain you were in. DD is having trouble with her knee again and I'm at my wits end trying to find an answer.

I don't blame you for keeping an eye on Right Move, a cheap property might just pop up, you never know. You are doing really well with your deposit though.

Hope you are all ok and have had a nice weekend.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £104.63 DEBT 2 = £853.00 DEBT 3 = £297.41
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £700.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £3150.00 DEBT 9 £22419.88
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 5th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Thank you Tink.

I thought the same when I read about your DD's knee popping, I dread to think of the pain she was in

I did start my essay, made a good start paused to get some figures from work but the people handling the trial I wanted to report on are on annual leave, so I need to re-write abit. I will refer to the original trial as it is a good idea and focus heavily on another area.

I need to make some good headway on it this week, will set aside time Wednesday morning.

Deposit is ok, so so slow. The target % on my signature is just this year's target - if I reach 100% by the end of the year it will be 33.33% of the total target, 2019 will hopefully be my year!!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 5th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    So my rightmove fix this weekend resulted in multiple excel pages.
    Balancing the cost of staying local to moving away but travelling in to the same job.

I have looked at various possible employers for the sector I work in and my employer is completely the best paying at the minute.

All situations however indicate, not much difference at the end of the month. What I save on the total monthly cost of a shared ownership property is going to be eaten up by petrol cost the further I moved out. Its a shocking difference per month though, a 2 bed flat here £1100 per month (shared ownership), 60 miles out £500-£600 flats / houses. I couldn't consider a long commute until DD didn't need childcare, even then I don't want her home for hours on end after school because I am stuck on a motorway following an accident.

The alternative is to have my money by summer 2019 (2 years!) and if I haven't secured a transfer look for a new job in a chosen cheaper area, and take a paycut.

If I hold on one more year, so 2020, my car finance will be finished and that year September onwards childcare costs will also come to an end which will work well affordability wise.

The big question in all cases, is how much the landlord plans to increase the rent by, so I have to be prepared to move into another rental, even if I don't want to as large increases could make it very difficult to continue saving.
    A lot of what ifs in my plan, I don't like what ifs. At all.

Inset day for us today. Waiting for the water meter man so still up early, oh well at least I can take a cheeky nap a little later, I think I will need to!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 7th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Successful shop this morning came in at 24.07 - we didn't need meat or laundry items, always helps!

I should be writing my essay but I just cannot get my head into the right gear.

I just want a hot bath and to lay down. I don't feel ill but I don't feel like Im running at 100%.

I will settle for a hot shower as I have work in a bit, after that I might even feel refreshed enough to get some work done on my essay!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 11th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Busy weekend with a party thrown in between swimming and ice skating.

I had to redo a huge chunk of my essay as I just couldn't get the stats needed. I generated my own report and used figures from that - slightly different than originally intended. Two more sections to do and I am roughly 1/2 the way through the word count target.

I will try a little more tonight, though it may be more reading than anything else. Tuesday I am in the office all day, watching a conference by VC, its an all day thing, so I hope there will be some times I can progress a little further, if not Monday & Tuesday night will be dedicated to completing it.

I had my 1:1 with one of my managers Friday. I woke very upset at the election results, well I had woken at 3am unable to sleep so monitored all the way through. I am a complete lefty, all for equality. I understand some people's reasons for voting right, but I see so much hardship surrounding me it really does make me sad that they have the power to inflict so much against public services which lets face it have hundreds and thousands of low to middle income people employed, whilst giving tax cuts to the people who really do not need further tax cuts.

I didn't realise how much I was upset by it, it all came out, I sobbed like a baby for a solid hour or more. All my fears came out, more than I ever knew I had its like they were buried deep down and that day they flooded my brain and I just couldn't escape them.

No spend weekend.

I am not sure I will be able to add to my h2b isa this month my spreadsheet is very stretched - its not a surprise, I will need to be booking the summer holiday childcare which does wipe Junes budget every year.

July we have our break away - Monday to Friday, a cheap UK holiday park deal that I have been paying a little towards every month. Its half board, I opted for that I as managed to get a week when kids ate free, and last time we done that we spent easily less than £50 in spending money for lunches, ice creams, the odd signed photo etc.

I have another week off end of August, no trip booked for that we just cant stretch to it, but I wont have childcare bills to cover in august as it will have been prepaid so we should whether permitting be able to stretch to a possible theme park visit, swimming, day trip to the beach etc.

Skating will continue every Sunday throughout the summer, swimming will stop though DD will get to go daily M-F as part of the holiday club whilst I am at work.

Hoping for a NSW, aside from food shop top ups which will need to be done on my lunch break as I will be at work Wednesday morning.

I am looking forward to a week of sunshine as predicted, about time
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 14th Jun 17, 9:16 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    bellevie
    Good start to the week, change over to my second job and within an hour I know its going to be a difficult few days. Back to back difficult conversations over the next couple of days, no doubt to be on the receiving end of some angry words. Its hard at times to take that without taking it personally. Hopefully in amongst that will be some nicer conversations, to take the edge away....well I hope so anyway!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

499Posts Today

4,940Users online

Martin's Twitter