Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    • 438Posts
    • 1,678Thanks
    bellevie
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life
    • 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life 23rd Aug 15 at 9:38 PM
    I'm a single parent to 1 child.

I work for a public sector charitable organisation, whom are making major changes. There are a few jobs remaining, though we have all been guaranteed the same job & pay if we transfer to the northern office...200 miles away.

So after a few weeks of thinking it over, I am becoming more and more certain its the way to go.

As a single parent, where I am, I will never be able to afford a home of our own. Its quite an important goal to me, it doesn't need to be big, a small 2 bed terrace or flat will suffice. I would just like some security for DD's future, for my old age, and some space within the monthly budget to save for uni costs, or help her with her own deposit so that she isn't struggling into her 30's as I have done.

So, I have decided I will either:
    1) Take the offer and move up early part of 2016, renting initially with a view to having a deposit sorted within 3 years.

2) Get a better paid role in the southern office save some more, find a different job and move in 2 years, perhaps slightly more choice in where I move to? Though DD will be 2 years older so I am conscious that this may impact her more later than me.

Either way, I am moving. Our current life in this lovely, beautiful town is just not financially sustainable.

I'm starting my moving fund at £210.64, no set target yet just as much as I can so that I rely on the relocation package as little as possible.

Here goes........
    Last edited by bellevie; 24-08-2015 at 8:14 PM.
Page 18
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 24th Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Thank you Rosa!

Tink I have been the same, we do have a small garden so I can get stuff out today, but when I cant I have sheets over doors, things on radiators, dinning room chairs, stair banisters etc. My shower pole isn't fixed to the wall, its a pressure fit pole so it wouldn't be able to take much weight! I originally got the dryer when I was in a flat expecting to be there for a lot longer.

In the height of winter I just remembered, weirdly things didnt take too long to dry as the heating was up high last year. Its on wet days or weekends when its not cold enough to put on the heating that things take forever and I end up re-washing towels as they take so long they loose the fresh smells!

Anyway the dryer I decided its not a necessity anymore, I could live without it, so I will stick to the free repair whilst its on offer and if I need to get rid of it in the future, whilst Im in the house I wont bother to replace it.

I think I'll have to invest in a fire extinguisher for my peace of mind though. I should have one anyway so I wont delay any longer!
    2016 Savings target....
    Sept 2016 - 43%....better get a move on
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 24th Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    I might be able to tuck a little more into my savings! I sent my car in for a brake check due to an intermittent squeal. They said brakes & discs are fine, they have ground it down a little to remove a lip as they dont look like they need replacing yet and they suspect the lip was causing the squeal - no charge! If issue continues then I might need to have pads & discs. I had set that money aside in preparation for replacement brakes so that I didn't need to pull it out of savings.

I will keep it in my esave for a few weeks, check the problem has stopped then move it across to the isa.

DD has had a growth spurt, leggings I bought her just a couple of months ago are already too short. They will be moved over to her 'sleep wear' drawer. The issue is she is just so slim if I go up to age 8 they will be so baggy. She has requested some jeans this year - I always get them but they are rarely worn. I think the girls in her class are getting more into fashion, so she of course is reviewing her wardrobe! The current jeans are too short, I will cut them down for shorts next summer, and I will grab her a couple of pairs from primark in my lunch next week.

I looked at that discount shopping through the car finance company, it is good discounts ranging from 4%-8% in the supermarkets & highstreet stores I shop in. My bugbear is the first cards have a delivery charge which means they wipe out the savings unless you are topping up with a massive amount. Once you have the cards however, you can register them online and top them up at a discount. So I had the idea I will pick up a couple of gift cards in town, top up with a minimal amount in store, then start moving my esavings (set aside for Christmas/birthdays) onto the relevant cards, so I will have got interest on them (albeit minimal interest) plus I will be paying less to top them up so saving more there!

That's my theory, though I have seen shops can drop on and off, Tesco were on last time, now they are not. Sainsbury, morrisons, newlook, primark, argos etc are all in the list at the moment. Argos makes complete sense, I get DD a lot from there - board games, puzzles, arts etc.
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 24th Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Bellevie I can't believe I haven't even thought of buying a fire extinguisher. I do worry a bit when I smell a burning smell and worry more due to the people in the other three flats. They are nice people but you just never know do you. I panic thinking they might have left a chip pan on etc. Over thinking but I think having a fire extinguisher is a must in a small flat. Just a matter of where I put it now.

Well done on the savings on the car. It's good if you keep going to the same garage. Where I have mine MOT'd I get a small discount on the price every year and if ever a bulb goes I nip up there and they change it for free.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 25th Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    I wont tuck away that money too soon, I popped out yesterday to get Mr T some more food - and to check the squeal - its definitely still there though it sounds slightly different.

The garage wont have heard it as it can take a good 5-10-15 miles before it starts to kick in
    I've been googling more and some suggest dust/rust in the rear drums, there would be a labour charge to take them apart and inspect. Anyway, its under warranty, and the ford garage did tell me it had been fully checked & serviced before I got it. I emailed the sales rep, and if I dont hear back I will take it down there in the week. If its going to be something that needs investigating I wont be paying out labour if I dont need to!

The above garage is a good one Tink, they've been honest about a few things not needing doing when other garages have insisted they did etc. The bug bear is they are not in walking distance to my home or work so it means holding out til a Saturday which grates on me!

I popped into the next sale after our stop at pets at home, I got DD some jeans and a top - using money I still had on a refund card, I had completely forgotten about it so wasn't sure how much money was on it, it was a nice surprise to find it covered it all.

Today we popped out to the little Tesco's express for milk, bread, yogurts £2.87 spent. Its becoming a habit, because its just the way the cycle has happened I never need those items on a Wednesday, and I cant really go without them from Sunday - Weds due to packed lunches etc. I actually quite like our little routine, especially if we have nothing planned. DD took her bike out, she hasn't been on it in months as her helmet had broken and I've only just replaced it. She done very well, just that little growth between riding has enabled her to get a good push to start herself off! We will do that every Sunday now, its an easy bike ride for her, with a few little roads to cross so it will help perfect her safety skills.

Its a sunday, and as normal all I can think of is new home new home new home, so I will indulge my rightmove cravings and see if I can come up with another way out of this rental trap!
    2016 Savings target....
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 28th Sep 16, 11:05 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    My morning off, food shop came in at £27.18. I even managed to get milk today - I didn't needed it but it was dated for use by 8th October and was 5p cheaper than the corner shop!
    Bread was too closely dated so will still need to restock that on sunday along with DD's yogurts!

So I am taking the plunge....or maybe dipping my toe in? I have set up an online dating profile!! I set one up a few weeks ago, left it up a few days then freaked out and took it back off then put it back on and back off etc. I gave myself some time to take some deep breaths and its back up! I have had a couple of nice messages, I am intending to stick at it and just get used to talking for now! I will take it at my pace, and I have roped a friend into helping me! I think I will ask him to read over some messages before I consider meeting people to get a males perspective on any potential dates! Its that step that I think freaks me out. I'm fine talking to people, but then I think about a date and I havent been on a date in so so so so long I just go into mini internal meltdown!
    I will never snap out of it though unless I dive in, so I have decided....I will go on a date before 2017! Just one! Ok it might take me right up to 31st December to pluck up the courage to accept a date but as long as I get out once, it will be a step in the right direction!
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 28th Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Well done Bellevie on the dating site. A lot of my friends 'found' their husbands on line.

My secret indulgence is Right Move too. Even looking at houses I would never, ever to able to afford. I looked at one recently that had 54 pictures, couldn't believe it but it was a 6 bed lol.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 2nd Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    A good week this week, kept to my shopping budget, no unnecessary spends - though I have been soooooo tempted with dates coming up!!

I should have had a lunch date tomorrow, but I just wasn't expecting it to be so soon and panicked. We have swapped numbers with a view to re-arranging soon. That wont be so bad, if its a lunch date I will be in workwear which is always reasonably nice.

Another person I have spoken to, I dont think anything will come of it due to the distance, but we can talk for hours so we have moved to WhatsApp - just friendly conversation, and I think that's all it will be, but its nice

I have a day off on Friday for inset day, which is when the car will finally be looked at.

I found my old satnav, and I have decided I must get rid of all these old phones, any money I get will go towards the boots I want for winter
    2016 Savings target....
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 5th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Food shop came in at £31.
    I have Friday off as its inset day, but car will be in garage getting brakes looked at (warranty)

In other news, the lunch date never did get re-arranged - because the WhatsApp conversation continued with the long distance guy and he wants to travel down to meet! Im not a serial dater type, so dont feel comfortable arranging multiples. I seem to have a better rapport at least on the phone with the long distance guy. He is around 3 hours away, so we have pencilled in a date for Saturday, DD will be going to her school friends for a few hours.

I'm very nervous, especially as he is travelling so far, it's not someone round the corner who might just do so for the sake of it, so it feels like the pressure is on! I cant be having a freak out given the trouble he is going to, so I am attempting positive thoughts!
    I am worried as we have very different lives hobbies etc, so I cant help but wonder if he has this picture of me in his mind that just isn't accurate. I was honest to a T in my profile, and I have given him more info since that, so I hope he isn't disappointed.
    He has such an interesting life, is super confident and I am the reverse!

Fingers crossed....I keep calm enough to actually let the date go ahead!
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 6th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Bellevie don't panic and just enjoy your time out. You might have different lives but opposites attract and if he didn't like what he sees and knows about you he wouldn't be coming all that way.

At least he is coming to you. The idiots I met on there a couple of years ago always expected me to travel. Hmm do they not know I'm a MSE'er lol.

Have a good time and can't wait to hear about it.

Tink xx
    • luffa
    • By luffa 6th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    luffa
    In other news, the lunch date never did get re-arranged - because the WhatsApp conversation continued with the long distance guy and he wants to travel down to meet! Im not a serial dater type, so dont feel comfortable arranging multiples. I seem to have a better rapport at least on the phone with the long distance guy. He is around 3 hours away, so we have pencilled in a date for Saturday, DD will be going to her school friends for a few hours.
    Originally posted by bellevie
    I've been on a dating site and apps on and off since 2013. Absolutely ever single guy I met (and also my work colleagues who are on Tinder) are meeting multiple people at the same time. I don't, I'm like you - I just can't - but I'm still single I did have one long term-ish relationship in these past 3 years, but we ended it.

Also, I wanted to say that it's easier, mentally, at least for me - to not consider the first meetings dates. Only after that 1st meeting it's a 'date' for me. A no pressure 30-min friendly coffee meeting is all it takes to know if you want a date or not. No need to stress about what to wear, just do it at lunch time or right after work on your way home. Pictures online and whatsapp conversation can be misleading...

All the best
    Last edited by luffa; 06-10-2016 at 1:51 PM.
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 7th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Thank you both!

Originally a lunch date was in mind for any other potential dates, I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to think about clothes as I always dress smartly for work, and I would be time restricted.
    In this case because of his distance, it just wasn't doable.

Yes, I know in person will be completely different than on the phone, at least to start. We WhatsApp most of the time, and have spoken on the phone a couple of times. I've got to consider what to wear, worry about a bad hair day, stumble in conversation ...eek the list goes on.

Im not cut out for these kind of dates! I will go ahead, as we have spoken a lot, and I genuinely want to meet him - I definitely wont go on any further dates with others though, I cant handle the pressure :/
    2016 Savings target....
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 9th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    So the date didnt go ahead - not for my panic, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly relieved as well as disappointed.
    He has applied for a job in another country - we actually come from the same country, both ended up living up here, but he has been backwards & forwards to a 3rd country that he can see himself settling down in. He was still open to meeting as the job wouldn't start til sept 2017, he is in education.
    He was shortlisted for interview.
    I suggested it should be cancelled as if he didn't get this job he would probably be looking for every opportunity to head back to this country anyhow. He agreed.
    We then spoke for quite a few hours Friday night, and by yesterday our original date night we had come up with a deal, if this job doesn't go ahead we will meet up.
    It buys me more time, which I feel a lot better about.

This weekend has been quite an expensive one. Taxi from the garage cost £17 instead of the £12 quoted on the website! I tried to argue it but in the end thought I shot myself in the foot by not asking for the price on the phone. So I paid up and we then got the train & walked 2 miles to collect the car!

Yesterday, feeling a little down about the date - I genuinely have been switching from relief to what if!! Also feeling guilty about cancelling dds play date I took her into town. We went into the build a bear factory. I had agreed on a budget, but the stupid sales rep kept asking DD, before asking me if she wanted extras, heart beat, scents etc. DD's face would light up therefor making it even harder for me to say no. I could feel my anger quickly escalating. After agreeing to the heartbeat I had to tell her to stop as we had a budget. They then tried again at the til, I had to put my foot down. Still came out £37 pound poorer. I will never take DD into that store again. DD of course is delighted, but I am furious at their sales technique, it was a cruel type of pressure to apply - who wants to see their childs face crumble!
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    That is awful about the build a bear factory. Hard pressure sales on kids is totally wrong, but you are right, it is done because then if we say no we feel guilty.

I'm not sure whether to say sorry about the date not working out or that it's a good thing lol. I think you have done the right thing though because if he is offered the job there are no long term prospects (unless long distance relationship). I could cope with one of those lol. I think I'm done now with dating, I am finally in a happy place and at my age I thought I would have learnt a few lessons. I seem to attract idiots though or people who need fixing. This is no longer my problem if I stay single lol. Keep trying the internet dating though, Mr Knight In Shining Armour might just be round the corner. You never know.

Tink xx
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 11th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Im off the site Tink!! Still talking to the man, its been around 3 weeks now. We will arrange a date soon but if that doesn't pan out I'm in no rush to re-sign up, it felt so abnormal on there!

I'm starting to be a little keener on this guy, slowly but surely. Its funny, I have a completely English accent as I have been here since I was a toddler, he has been here 4 years so still has a full on accent - and its HIS accent when he speaks ENGLISH that makes me go weak at the knees
    One of his first WhatsApp messages before we spoke on the phone later on was a little recording so I could hear his accent, then a little video of him playing a musical instrument, I thought he was showing off, until a friend pointed out that this is what being 'wooed' is, never been wooed in my life let alone over WhatsApp!! What my nan would say if she could hear me now It makes me wonder, just what he would be capable of in real life, he is definitely raising my expectations higher a little each day

In other news, I came home to a nasty surprise from Mr T, after he wolfed down an entire pack of custard creams that DD had left on the side

Car is squeak free!
    I spent £2.30 on lunch after being very disorganised - I had no excuse, DD was off yesterday with ear infection, I had plenty of time to prepare but just didn't!

Tomorrow is shopping morning, so I will put little more thought into my purchases. Aiming for under £30.
    2016 Savings target....
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 12th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Shop came in at £41, because I treated myself to the ''me before you'' dvd - it feels like it only came out two minutes ago, I thought I'd be waiting to see it until next year at least!
    I am going to save it until my birthday so I have something to look forward to.

Im super tired today, I could easily go back to bed for a little while before work, but things need doing....so I will get started before sleep becomes too tempting!
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 13th Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    All sounding good with the man Bellevie, how exciting.

Must be the week for it. Mr D was so naughty last week to the point I could have cried. I still love him to bits though.

I like the idea of a birthday treat, I guess I should class my new coat as a christmas treat lol.

Tink xx
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 15th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    I couldn't wait and am now watching the film! Not how I imagined it reading the book, but OK so far.

I need a coat too tink, Im still wearing my light mac, bulking it up with cardigans underneath but it wont last much longer!
    I just cant find something I like, I have an idea in my head but the style just doesn't seem to be out there. It might have to be an ebay hunt.

Im hesitating about the nice man I've been speaking to. Its becoming more and more apparent how much he wants to go to the 3rd country, so I know if this job doesn't happen it will be a matter of time until he goes. I have backed off, still friendly but made it clear I'm not looking to take it further. He has been a gentleman as always.

I have hovered, turned the sofa round to our 'winter' position & am now going to watch the remainder of the film, browse rightmove, helptobuy and check my accounts!
    2016 Savings target....
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 18th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    I have hovered, turned the sofa round to our 'winter' position & am now going to watch the remainder of the film, browse rightmove, helptobuy and check my accounts!
    Originally posted by bellevie
    This so reminds me of my mum. She always used to move the furniture round in winter so we were closer to the open fire lol.

I miss being able to move things around. This flat is sooooo small. Things might be changing soon though!!

Tink xx
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 24th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Its been a crazy couple of weeks.
    I had 2 family members come to stay from Thursday to Sunday. I was still at work, so they went sight seeing in London on Friday, Saturday we all went into town light shopping & a Chinese buffet. Sunday was chilled as they left after lunch.

I went to bed exhausted, and woke up aching all over - just in time for 3 days annual leave grrrrr happens every time without fail.

Car squeal had returned although different to the first sound, I took it back in today they opted to completely replace the brake pads. Im a little confused as I'm sure there was a lot of life left in them. However if the noise has gone, and it hasn't cost me a penny I am not complaining

I've seen the coat I want, this is a traditional style that previously has been out year after year - this year the only place I've seen it is house of fraser - £80! Its far more than I ever spend on winter coats, so I will continue the hunt for a cheaper version. I've exhausted cheaper shops, supermarkets and have looked in other general highstreet stores, nothing remotely similar! Its a plain, classic style for goodness sake, I do not understand why there are so few of them around.

First car payment comes out tomorrow. Will be an interesting month getting used to that amount leaving my account!

DD chose my birthday cake, a £2.65 tescos finest white chocolate and strawberry cake! Its the perfect size for 2 of us and I am looking forward to tasting it. I was going to give her £5 to buy my something, but there is nothing that I want, aside from a permanent home so we chatted and agreed it would make more sense if I put that little bit of money away in our savings. Not that it will make much difference, but I was proud of DD for coming to the realisation that it made sense.

I wonder if she will let me off buying her presents in a few weeks time
    2016 Savings target....
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 2nd Nov 16, 11:37 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    bellevie
    Its truly a testing month.

We have had 3 birthdays in October at work, £5 per collection, 1 leaver another £5, winter coat £31 from tescos, (used some vouchers towards it) plus a trip to see family, it was my brothers 30th & my nieces birthday leaves me juggling money around from my small savings to make sure I dont hit £0 in either bank account.

Another bugging issue, 3 of my usual Christmas club providers are not covering the days between Christmas & new year - they are working days! All the other parents have also requested them off, so my boss has said we may have to take one day each, I dont quite understand the need to be in the office, we are mobile workers our landlines are connected to our mobiles so we are contactable where ever we are.

I have one last club, the most expensive that hasn't yet released its hours, Im keeping my fingers crossed, otherwise I might have to pay a babysitter which will work out even more expensive.

My Christmas money was used to backfill for most of the above, so my usual savings for November will have to replace my Christmas money. I have managed to get DD a few things already through the vouchers I have saved on Amazon, and I am hoping to use very little of the budget to cover the rest in the hope I can still tuck a little bit aside.

I am waiting to see if my landlord will be in touch to increase the rent by a further 5% this year. Its really stressing me out.

Ive been looking endlessly but I would have to go 20 miles out to get a cheaper property, and the local schools next to the cheapest properties either dont have an afterschool club that runs til 6, or dont have a breakfast club. It would need to be considerably cheaper in order to justify increased petrol costs.

I would need around £3000 to move, admin & reference fees, advance rent & deposit & removals - but by the time I reach that amount, I would be within touching distance of the deposits for shared ownership so I would hate to through £500-800 on removals and £400+ on the agency fees only to then move again in a year or 2.

Im going to be using a lot of deep breathing to get me through the next couple of months :/
    2016 Savings target....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter