Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 255Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 65
    • issy001
    • By issy001 28th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    issy001
    Sky Package
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could give some advice on what to do please:

I am not currently on a contract with sky per say- I'm paying around £34.99 for broadband and line rental/ evening and w/end calls.
    We have an old Sky box- the black one (with no card inside, so we only get the free channels).

Now, I don't watch Sky myself, so I dont need a particular bundle, however my mum wants access to the indian channels that have recently moved onto sky, as before we were able to get them free- but will now have to opt for the ORIGINAL BUNDLE. I'd like both broadband and TV to be with them preferably.
    I have telephoned Sky twice, they have offered me what they say as 67% off.. thats one (BB at 12months) and (TV at 18months).

Both times speaking to retentions team- at then end of last month and then again today.

1st deal was- FREE BB 12MONTHS, £15.00 p/m, LINE RENTAL, £2.00 p/m for EVE & W/END CALLS...ORIGINAL BUNDLE 18 MONTH CONTRACT- (from £22.00 TO £7.43 p/m). TOTAL 24.43 a month, free installation of box and free router.

Called today and the lady offered me 67% off, again one as 12 months and 18 months
    but something way more than what the other guy offered I rang initially..

Now, does anyone know if I can ask them about setting me up without the SKy Q box- can I still use my old box?

Has anyone else had better offers at all? and are they able to give me the two packages as a 12month or 18 month, not different..?

I would be grateful for your feedback guys- thanks
    Also, they cannot take away the old sky box can they? nothing works apart from the normal channels...?
    Last edited by issy001; 28-09-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    The old box is yours but given the offer I'd snatch their hand off. Just renegotiate the BB in 12 months time.
    • issy001
    • By issy001 28th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    issy001
    The old box is yours but given the offer I'd snatch their hand off. Just renegotiate the BB in 12 months time.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Aw, thanks, however that offer was a month ago and I didn't take it up because the 12 month and 18 month annoys me, that I'll have to deal with SKY twice.. when it comes to it, the lady from sky phoned back just now, but I mentioned the old box and see if we did not require a SkQ one, we then got cut off, but I doubt she'll be able to offer me the same as I mentioned earlier in the post. Hopefully
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    I noticed that they are intending to stick £25 quid on the 3rd Nov billing date. The service carries on until 12th Nov.

So I can phone and cancel that extra lump?
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    It's the end of your minimum term you need to know which doesn't tie in with your bill date (approx 2 weeks after?). My bill runs from the 2nd to the following 1st but my end of minimum term is the 14th. You can schedule a cancellation at any time for the end of your minimum term so you don't pay ETC's.
    Thats a great help - my Nov 3 bill is £25 pounds, but the service stops on 12th Nov.

So you are saying I can cancel the service to avoid that extra £25 ?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thats a great help - my Nov 3 bill is £25 pounds, but the service stops on 12th Nov.

So you are saying I can cancel the service to avoid that extra £25 ?
    Originally posted by applicationcen
    It's usually 30 days minimum cancellation term so if you haven't already cancelled you'll be paying it anyway.

Edit: have you seen this link given earlier by someone else for automatic 50% off for 12 months?

sky.com/stay50
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 12-10-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    It's usually 30 days minimum cancellation term so if you haven't already cancelled you'll be paying it anyway.
    I cancelled 25th September, saying to them to kill the service 2nd or 3rd Nov. That would give them their 31 days notice.
    I was a bit confused that they said oh it will be the 11th Nov when it stops.

Then I get an email form them saying it will be the 12th Nov, and the final bill will be £25 for a few days service.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I cancelled 25th September, saying to them to kill the service 2nd or 3rd Nov. That would give them their 31 days notice.
    I was a bit confused that they said oh it will be the 11th Nov when it stops.

Then I get an email form them saying it will be the 12th Nov, and the final bill will be £25 for a few days service.
    Originally posted by applicationcen
    Sorry, we passed when posting but I edited my post,

Edit: have you seen this link given earlier by someone else for automatic 50% off for 12 months?

sky.com/stay50
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    Sorry, we passed when posting but I edited my post,
    Well - I just got off the phone with someone who confirmed the Nov - Dec billing period at £25 is an error, so the available bill I can see on my account details is an error.

The person confirmed that the contract ends on the 11th Nov 2017, having been started on the 11th Nov 2016.

They confirmed that the outstanding amount should be approximately 9 days at the monthly rate of £14.00 = £4.06

They said that their billing process is done on my account on the 20th of each month. The bill should be calculated and correctly presented after that date.

Ill check back then.

However - that 50% link is very interesting. It is approximately what they are trying to charge me on the current (erroneous) bill! Thanks for the link
    • Wallhart
    • By Wallhart 12th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Wallhart
    Since negotiating my 60% + 25 credit for tv I have faced two issues and I'm guessing this is Sky using Underhand tactics here as I've never had this before.

Firstly it's been a real battle to get the 25 quid applied. Started off with them lieing about it being agreed. Then it has somehow not been applied. It's taken 3 weeks to get it applied to the account.

Sexondly, I have just had tv confirmation and it states the minimum term as being 18 months rather than 12. 12 was agreed. I suspect that 12 months is the discount and they are trying to swindle people by putting them on 18months. This is for HD+.

If this is how they want to operate I'll leave then for good. Typical short mindedness by a desperate management it seems. If this is something being done widespreadly there's going to be a lot of bitter customers leaving them.

Just a warning to make sure you get everything in writing.
    • DarkHarlequin
    • By DarkHarlequin 12th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DarkHarlequin
    Since negotiating my 60% + 25 credit for tv I have faced two issues and I'm guessing this is Sky using Underhand tactics here as I've never had this before.
    Just a warning to make sure you get everything in writing.
    Originally posted by Wallhart
    I think it really depends on the agent on the other end. Just resubbed on exactly the same deal as you - 60% off box sets with cinema, £25 credit - and all gone through absolutely fine. Also on a rolling contract.

Seems YMMV when it comes to who you talk to, but hope you get sorted in any case.
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 26th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pauleb80
    I'm on a TV deal with Sky that I'm happy with (60% off and rolling contract). My broadband is with BT and that deal is coming to an end. I called Sky today to see what they could offer me to switch my broadband and the best they could do was £30 (unlimited fibre) which is the same as what BT are offering so no point switching. That said paying £70 for my TV and broadband is too much so I need to do something. 2 questions therefore: (i) has anyone seen a better Sky deal for unlimited fibre? (ii) I'm thinking of threatening to cancel the TV to see if that will magically produce a better broadband deal from Sky, does anyone have experience of that? Thanks.
    • wapow
    • By wapow 29th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    wapow
    I think it really depends on the agent on the other end. Just resubbed on exactly the same deal as you - 60% off box sets with cinema, £25 credit - and all gone through absolutely fine. Also on a rolling contract.

Seems YMMV when it comes to who you talk to, but hope you get sorted in any case.
    Originally posted by DarkHarlequin

Hello

Did you ring Sky or did Sky ring you?
    How many weeks into cancellation?

Regards
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    (i) has anyone seen a better Sky deal for unlimited fibre? (ii) I'm thinking of threatening to cancel the TV to see if that will magically produce a better broadband deal from Sky, does anyone have experience of that? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Pauleb80
    Sky's best deals peaked just before I was able to consider applying. For instance my sister got ADSL and anytime calls for £20.50/month (Phone/ADSL part was £15),but the base price then went up to £18 ,also requiring that you upgraded or renewed your tv. I didn't get to test haggling a price with altering the tv, as I got tired of the phone queue so made a deal with PlusNet.

You can't threaten Sky, as they are well aware that a lot of people say they are leaving just to be given a better offer and actually have no intention; hence some have no offer or a very poor one.

Most good deals are after you cancel and go through with it, but I'm under no illusion that they will repeat mine from last year, but genuinely intend to stay away if not bribed enough.
    • Money Man
    • By Money Man 4th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Money Man
    Anyone getting anything better than 40% off tv package?

Cancelled a month or so, received a 40% off mailshot so far, nothing else...

Giving consideration to switching to BT to get recording functionality back and being able to pause live tv
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 4th Nov 17, 10:58 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Futuristic

Giving consideration to switching to BT to get recording functionality back and being able to pause live tv
    Originally posted by Money Man
    I got 40% for my Sky Q tv package (just the basic tv), had boxsets deal last year so I just went with this since its on 31 day rolling contract. I will try get a better deal again on Black Friday, I assume they will have new/existing customer deals then
    • Money Man
    • By Money Man 4th Nov 17, 11:03 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Money Man
    I got 40% for my Sky Q tv package (just the basic tv), had boxsets deal last year so I just went with this since its on 31 day rolling contract. I will try get a better deal again on Black Friday, I assume they will have new/existing customer deals then
    Originally posted by Futuristic
    Ok, thanks for the response, I need sports too so will look out for the Black Friday deals...
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 4th Nov 17, 11:26 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Boohoo

Originally posted by Money Man
    I have posted in the Retentions thread about this.
    I was offered 40% without asking but they would not go any higher or offer credit. There is a 50% off link on Sky website but a few people have had trouble getting this offer as Sky say it's finished or not for them.
    As for Black Friday deals were they any good last year or were the deals just small discounts?
    I don't recall if they did any deals last year.
    • Money Man
    • By Money Man 4th Nov 17, 11:52 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Money Man
    I have posted in the Retentions thread about this.
    I was offered 40% without asking but they would not go any higher or offer credit. There is a 50% off link on Sky website but a few people have had trouble getting this offer as Sky say it's finished or not for them.
    As for Black Friday deals were they any good last year or were the deals just small discounts?
    I don't recall if they did any deals last year.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    Thanks, never realised there was another thread, will check it out now
    • hedgwedgy
    • By hedgwedgy 5th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    hedgwedgy
    Recent Sky Q haggle I now want 2 more mini Sky Q boxes without paying £99 fee
    Hi,

Just thought I'd post my annual haggle with Sky. I do this via the live chat every year as its easier to do and if I don't have any success I can just close the conversation politely and go back in to get a adviser who will haggle. I always try to haggle the first time and then if they don't budge cancel my TV package all together. I then wait a day or so for the offer to come through on the Sky box and not on my web account as the offer seems to be greater through the box, or I see what other people have been getting and tell a white lie saying I've got x% offer off. Obviously nothing ridiculous because they'll know its not a true offer.

So on to this year. Renegotiated on 19/10/17. Was previously paying £75 in total for Sky HD+ with Sports, Sports HD, Box Sets package, Unlimited Broadband (cant get fibre in my area), Anytime Calls. I was happy to pay this price at the time.

I wanted Sky Q this year as I like what you can do with it. I now have Sky Q router (had the rubbish one before and said I had connectivity issues. I didn't, just wanted the better router) Sky Q 2TB box with one mini box, Sky Box sets, Unlimited Broadband, Anytime call for £65 a month in total. 12 months offer, 18 month Sky Q contract, will obviously cancel or renegotiate at the end of the offer. I didn't pay anything for equipment or install.

In my area I could get exactly the same broadband and talk package with John Lewis for £25 with a 12 month contract. Sky were going to charge me £37 for the exact same thing. Sent the link for John Lewis on the chat. Initially said nothing they can do. I point out that new customers get £50 Mastercard credit. They gave me £50 credit and discounted my packge to £25.60. I was happy with that as near enough the same as John Lewis.

I wanted Sky Q but had read you had to pay for install and equipment. I also knew that because I wanted the latest stuff I would probably have to downgrade my package. I mentioned that I've been with Sky for a long time and that I am a platinum member on the Sky rewards app. I also kept mentioning new customers don't pay for new equipment. In the end I removed my sports package as I don't use that very much, and can go to the pub to watch it for a year. I'm happy with the deal I got and will keep doing the same thing every year. Worst case scenario is to leave Sky all together and join with my partner or sons name. I know technically this is not allowed but have done this in the past with no issues. Just use a different card to pay with.

My tips would be to be polite and persevere. If you don't get what your happy with keep trying with another adviser till you do. I end up telling them what I want and for how much and leave it up to them. Use the threat of Netflix etc.

I now want 2 more mini Sky Q boxes and want to know if anyone has avoided paying the £99 fee. I'm trying to get it without paying as I don't see why I should pay £99 for something I don't technically own. Installation is plug in and press the WPS button.

I had my Q setup today. Everything works fine. I got the engineer to make sure the signal was fine in the other 2 rooms. So I can install it on my own.

Thanks for any replies in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin