Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 63
    • cornish1
    • By cornish1 6th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cornish1
    Sky retention fail
    We've been with Sky for 11 months, £55 per month for unlimited fibre BB, Q box, Sports, Cinema, Box Sets the works ... great newbie deal ...

It was going to double in price next month so tried using MySky messaging app (waste of time) and a couple of calls before someone v helpful tried all they could but even ditching Cinema could only bring it down to £84 per month.

Have switched to BT for next 12 months using latest deal link (£42 per month ish with £100 Mastercard). Will miss Sky Sports but will have BT Sport and will try Sky again same time next year.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We've been with Sky for 11 months, £55 per month for unlimited fibre BB, Q box, Sports, Cinema, Box Sets the works ... great newbie deal ...

It was going to double in price next month so tried using MySky messaging app (waste of time) and a couple of calls before someone v helpful tried all they could but even ditching Cinema could only bring it down to £84 per month.

Have switched to BT for next 12 months using latest deal link (£42 per month ish with £100 Mastercard). Will miss Sky Sports but will have BT Sport and will try Sky again same time next year.
    Originally posted by cornish1
    The good deals don't come from calling to deal. They come when you actually cancel or ,even better, let the service go off. (just tv of course)
    • vix2000
    • By vix2000 6th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    vix2000
    So I have checked the Sky website, and for a new customer (account was previously in daughters name) they are doing the box set at £25 instead of £38, free 2tb box and mini box free with £65 installation, then £12 a month multiscreen (is it £12 for any amount of mini boxes?). So that would be £65 up front then £37 a month, £47 with movies.

But we keep getting the 60% off offer by email to return. so we could get multiscreen and movies, £38 + £10, for £19.20 a month plus £12 multiscreen, total £31.30, but adds up over 18 months to £284.40 saving. Does anyone know what would be the best price we could get the equipment for as an existing customer?

Do they usually have better deals in the run up to christmas, or does it get more expensive as more people want it at christmas?

There is no quidco cashback I can see at the moment, but there is the £50 recommend a friend.

Any advice or opinions?
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 6th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    JamesN
    From what I've heard, its £12 for several miniboxes, I think there is a limit as to how many you can have but i'm confident its more than one. The only thing is you'd need to pay for the additional miniboxes (as in a one off fee).

There is a lot of talk that you can renew at the 60% discount and then upgrade your sub to sky q and pay some one off fees but maintain the 60% for 12 months. However, the Sky Q contracts are on 18 month deals which leaves 6 months at full price. There is also talk you could renegotiate at 12 months but I'd check all of this with your sky advisor before going ahead. I'm in the same boat but reluctant to do it as the negotiating power is much less at 12 months with another 6 to go.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    From what I've heard, its £12 for several miniboxes, I think there is a limit as to how many you can have but i'm confident its more than one. The only thing is you'd need to pay for the additional miniboxes (as in a one off fee).
    Originally posted by JamesN
    There's no additional upfront charge for the first mini box but it does add £12 a month to the cost. If adding more (up to 4 in total) then they charge £99 extra per added box but for the same monthly £12 fee.

There is a slight catch in that you can only watch on two TVs at the same time with the 1TB box, or three TVs at the same time with the 2TB box.
    • vix2000
    • By vix2000 7th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    vix2000
    Just re-read the emails and it says 60% off any bundle, so I'm assuming that doesn't include movies?
    • Jimbeef
    • By Jimbeef 13th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimbeef
    Haggling in progress - advice needed
    Now then i have a dilemma:

Joined Sky last year on a mega deal (think the guy was on something) - Sky Q 2TB box for £30, free install, 1 x multiroom, Sports HD, Cinema, standard broadband and phone line = £55 a month for 12 months.

Now my 12 months is up it's going to be about £120 a month - no chance. Rang retentions to cancel TV, they said the best they could do "considering my opening deal" was knocking off sports and cinema (we don't use them, didn't even ask for them at the start), £5 off broadband and £8 off box sets. With the discounts it means my monthly is £72.39 (box sets £30.40, multiroom £12, line £18.99, bband £5, HD £6).

Do I take it or cancel and hold off in case something better comes along during my notice period? I said I would discuss with my other half and she was ok to put a note on my account to keep the offer open for a bit.

Also, the woman said that price included £6 for HD, I don't remember seeing that on my bill when everything else is on there, paid for or not. Is it a thing?

All help and advice is much appreciated!!
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 13th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Mchambers

Joined Sky last year on a mega deal (think the guy was on something) - Sky Q 2TB box for £30, free install, 1 x multiroom, Sports HD, Cinema, standard broadband and phone line = £55 a month for 12 months.

Now my 12 months is up it's going to be about £120 a month - no chance. Rang retentions to cancel TV, they said the best they could do "considering my opening deal" was knocking off sports and cinema (we don't use them, didn't even ask for them at the start), £5 off broadband and £8 off box sets. With the discounts it means my monthly is £72.39 (box sets £30.40, multiroom £12, line £18.99, bband £5, HD £6).

Do I take it or cancel and hold off in case something better comes along during my notice period? I said I would discuss with my other half and she was ok to put a note on my account to keep the offer open for a bit.

Also, the woman said that price included £6 for HD, I don't remember seeing that on my bill when everything else is on there, paid for or not. Is it a thing?

Originally posted by Jimbeef
    Cancel you TV package asap. You will then see at least 50% off offered for TV.

I have done this silly game with sky now for several years.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Definately cancel to get a better deal, I think the HD addition is for sport HD so you'd lose that if not keeping sports.(why it's an additional cost defies all logic)
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    As in the previous post, I was going to mention HD only being needed for viewing HD sports . If you have Boxed Sets that package allows you to view everything else offered in HD or 3D.

I'm going to cancel mine (Boxed Sets and Cinema) and let it go off, only returning for a very good offer or it's dust off the Humax again, as Sky really is just a luxury. (I fully intended to stay away last year, but was lured back by 75% off)

I'm having to sort ADSL and line in the next few weeks (ie stay with PlusNet or return to Sky),but my thread hasn't brought forth any of the information asked for.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 14-09-2017 at 3:41 PM.
    • Jimbeef
    • By Jimbeef 13th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimbeef
    Well it seems a though the masses have spoken, let's cancel and see what turns up in the next 30 days or so!

Let's hope they're feeling needy...
    • Jimbeef
    • By Jimbeef 14th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimbeef
    Forgot to ask, is it better to leave it until an offer comes through or go on livechat in a week or so and try to open the haggle doors again?
    • Jimbeef
    • By Jimbeef 14th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimbeef

And so the result: Rang the TV cancellations number specified on the haggling tips page on here, got put through to retentions who offered a better deal than before but still not great. Stood firm and said no, cancelled, then went on to livechat to "double check" a couple of my rights during the notice period, got the 50% off everything (apart from line rental) offer. Means I get to keep my whole package and it is only costing me a few quid more a month than my introductory contract. Decided to go with that, since the current trend is that it's generally harder to get more out of them. Personally happy with the result.
    • MDL74
    • By MDL74 15th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MDL74
    I"m on the full package and was paying about £42 pm with 50% off and discounted multiroom.

I've now cancelled and quite fancy upgrading to Sky Q.

Firstly, i was offered same TV package and free installation and extra box but paying £72 monthly which is more than i want to pay. What's the best i can hope for having already cancelled?

Secondly i have a loftbox so i can send the signal from the main sky box to other TVs.... does the Sky Q box allow an aerial out signal?
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 40,183 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Beware those who are calling, speaking to "Retentions" - once a new deal is agreed (in my case a deal fractionally cheaper over 18 months than the comparable "New Customer" offer for our package) they then inform you that there is now a "£10 account admin fee" for making an alteration to the account. I made clear that I was extremely unhappy with this - not least that it was not mentioned until after the new package deal had been settled on (although not put through the system).

I can't see anyone else has mentioned this on here in recent times - has anybody else encountered this or do I need to get back onto them about it I wonder. (I agreed it in the end reluctantly as I didn;t have a choice if I wanted the 18 month deal.)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Beware those who are calling, speaking to "Retentions" - once a new deal is agreed (in my case a deal fractionally cheaper over 18 months than the comparable "New Customer" offer for our package) they then inform you that there is now a "£10 account admin fee" for making an alteration to the account. I made clear that I was extremely unhappy with this - not least that it was not mentioned until after the new package deal had been settled on (although not put through the system).

I can't see anyone else has mentioned this on here in recent times - has anybody else encountered this or do I need to get back onto them about it I wonder. (I agreed it in the end reluctantly as I didn;t have a choice if I wanted the 18 month deal.)
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Yes, it's known about. You should have really just refused to pay it there and then , they're not going to let you walk for a tenner. Some people have had success after the fact by complaining via email to the CEO's office(?).

I was having a live chat this week where they offered me unlimited fibre for £25 a month (same as the present new customer deal) but with a £10 'activation' fee. I wasn't interested anyway but you have to be wary of them slipping it in at the last moment.

Edit: the email address is Jeremy[dot]darroch@bskyb.com
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 15-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I notice that the activation fee for new customer ADSL has gone up to the fibre price of £19.99.

I am deciding whether to stay with PlusNet(who suddenly did me a 1Mbps increase on 4) or return to Sky, but suspect the fee consists of £9.99 for the modem and £10 admin, which I've never paid before. This will be a haggle point as I have a Sky modem and on top of this extra £10 would need to pay a £30 cease fee to leave PlusNet ,but again, the latter may not offer a good retention deal.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I notice that the activation fee for new customer ADSL has gone up to the fibre price of £19.99.

I am deciding whether to stay with PlusNet(who suddenly did me a 1Mbps increase on 4) or return to Sky, but suspect the fee consists of £9.99 for the modem and £10 admin, which I've never paid before. This will be a haggle point as I have a Sky modem and on top of this extra £10 would need to pay a £30 cease fee to leave PlusNet ,but again, the latter may not offer a good retention deal.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    If they drop the monthly fee as an offer you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'activation fee' will rise.

It's £19.95 'set-up' for ADSL & Unlimited Fibre but £59.95 for Limited Fibre & Unlimited Fibre Max.

It'll change again next week no doubt.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 40,183 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yes, it's known about. You should have really just refused to pay it there and then , they're not going to let you walk for a tenner. Some people have had success after the fact by complaining via email to the CEO's office(?).

I was having a live chat this week where they offered me unlimited fibre for £25 a month (same as the present new customer deal) but with a £10 'activation' fee. I wasn't interested anyway but you have to be wary of them slipping it in at the last moment.

Edit: the email address is Jeremy[dot]darroch@bskyb.com
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks for that - in the conversation I had refusing to pay it wasn't an option as he was very clear that he wasn't going to activate the deal we'd just agreed without it - the deal was what I wanted - and I didn't want to risk having to renegotiate all over again having already spent nearly an HOUR on the phone to them! (Plus, there are always ways around these things afterwards if you're prepared to make a bit of noise!)

Might try the email approach though - thanks for that!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • scottyboydfc
    • By scottyboydfc 18th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scottyboydfc
    Just over a week into my cancellation period now. Live chat initially offered me 30% off my current Boxsets package but with no discount on the multiroom subscription. I received an email offering 40% off, yet still no discount on the multiroom.

Sky have just called to offer 50% off but again no offer on the multiroom. Told them politely that I wouldn't be accepting until they could match my current 50% off everything deal.

Here's hoping that they do before 6th October, which is when it is scheduled to go off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,602Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin