Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 62
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 22nd Aug 17, 11:39 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    shaggy
    Agree with Beckric.
    Realised that my package was old, and rather costly, so looked at new offers. Spoke with Sky a number of times and they weren't able to offer me a package even as cheaply as a new customer?! In the end, I've cancelled because it seems a bit ridiculous that they weren't willing to offer me a new customer deal after 6+ years custom.

Cancelled last Friday, but haven't had any contact regarding 'Return for XX% off' or anything of the sort. Wonder whether I even will...
    Originally posted by nicktheory
    you will. Just let the Sky switch off....
    • RavenQueen
    • By RavenQueen 23rd Aug 17, 10:50 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    RavenQueen
    We were wanting go back to Sky after being with Virgin and were hoping to get a good deal but we haven't been offered anything amazing to be honest. As there was a crossover between switching to Sky, they still class us as a returning customer not a new customer. Does anyone know if they give you a new HD box or do you just keep the old one?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Aug 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    We were wanting go back to Sky after being with Virgin and were hoping to get a good deal but we haven't been offered anything amazing to be honest. As there was a crossover between switching to Sky, they still class us as a returning customer not a new customer. Does anyone know if they give you a new HD box or do you just keep the old one?
    Originally posted by RavenQueen
    There are no new HD+ boxes, they'll try and get you on the Q system (which costs more )
    • nicktheory
    • By nicktheory 23rd Aug 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nicktheory
    Got offered 50% off TV for 12 months, but the broadband and line rental etc the same, and they wouldn't upgrade me to SkyQ, so I'd be on the old hardware.
    Doesn't come in much less than the new customer offers, so said not to bother. Best they could do was offer a £10 credit on the account... shameful. Especially given that will be eaten up by the £10 admin charge...
    • nky225
    • By nky225 23rd Aug 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nky225
    been onto sky today as a platinum 13 year customer.
    Ive got the original Sky+ HD box from 11 years ago thats failing on a daily basis plus a 2nd old sky plus box.

Currently on variety bundle with sky sports pack and im paying £71.50 a month with a second box.

Spoke to retentions told them i want to upgrade my package to box sets, sports, sports hd pack, with Sky Q 2tb and a second Q box after id spoken to the live chat team yesterday. the live chat had offered exactly what i want for £65 a month with £70 one off fee for the boxes and told that if i wasnt happy with the price to speak to the cancellations team and they would reduce it.

Retentions said theres nothing they can do with Sky Q and didnt even give me the option to take it!
    They tried any way possible of getting me to reduce the content in the package, which i didnt want, and then came up with that the best they could do was £59.85 a month, only a 16% saving!

Needless to say i didnt take it, im checking other options but think i will be cancelling later this evening
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 23rd Aug 17, 6:10 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Mchambers
    been onto sky today as a platinum 13 year customer.
    Ive got the original Sky+ HD box from 11 years ago thats failing on a daily basis plus a 2nd old sky plus box.

Currently on variety bundle with sky sports pack and im paying £71.50 a month with a second box.

Spoke to retentions told them i want to upgrade my package to box sets, sports, sports hd pack, with Sky Q 2tb and a second Q box after id spoken to the live chat team yesterday. the live chat had offered exactly what i want for £65 a month with £70 one off fee for the boxes and told that if i wasnt happy with the price to speak to the cancellations team and they would reduce it.

Retentions said theres nothing they can do with Sky Q and didnt even give me the option to take it!
    They tried any way possible of getting me to reduce the content in the package, which i didnt want, and then came up with that the best they could do was £59.85 a month, only a 16% saving!

Needless to say i didnt take it, im checking other options but think i will be cancelling later this evening
    Originally posted by nky225
    Cancel and u will get at least 50% off your tv.
    • Smithy225
    • By Smithy225 24th Aug 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smithy225
    Cancelled. Account page only showing 30%, should I hold off?
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 24th Aug 17, 7:05 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    craigr98
    Cancelled. Account page only showing 30%, should I hold off?
    Originally posted by Smithy225
    To get the best offers you have to let the services stop i.e. let Sky switch you off. 30% off is very poor.
    • vix2000
    • By vix2000 29th Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    vix2000
    My daughter had sky when she lived with us but we cancelled when she moved out. We now have phone and fibre from BT. We are constantly getting the 60% off offer through the post. However, we would also be classed as new customers, so would be grateful for any advice on the best deal we could get. We would like sky Q 2tb and one multi room. Bit confused with tv packages now, but not bothered about sport. (don't know where movies come into it these days as can't see anything on the sky website!!!)

Originally Posted by deanos View Post
    Sorry if it's not clear, I currently have Sky box set half price at £19 a month until 2022 on a 1 month rolling contract with a standard sky hd box

I have upgraded to sky q and keep the box sets at half price until 2022

They have charged me £30 for a 2tb SkyQ box and a SkyQ mini box one off payment instead of £115

I will pay an additional £12 for multi screen

So I will be paying £31 a month in total, after 18 months I can cancel multiscreen if I wish as that part is for 18 months

This looks like a great deal but how would you go about getting it, better as a new or existing customer?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Aug 17, 2:51 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum

Due to the complete lack of contact I decided to ring them & was offered 50% off the basic packages but was told there was no way they would be able to offer anything like the 75% deals that some are reporting.
    Originally posted by beckric
    My 75% offer was last November and stated as only being available until the end of December, so I'm surprised that it went on as long as it did.

I only returned as I got Boxed Sets and Cinema for a very low price (was happy enough with free and Smart tv with the Humax) ,so don't expect to be returning after this year's cancellation, as they surely won't repeat the offer.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Aug 17, 3:43 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    My daughter had sky when she lived with us but we cancelled when she moved out. We now have phone and fibre from BT. We are constantly getting the 60% off offer through the post. However, we would also be classed as new customers, so would be grateful for any advice on the best deal we could get. We would like sky Q 2tb and one multi room. Bit confused with tv packages now, but not bothered about sport. (don't know where movies come into it these days as can't see anything on the sky website!!!)

This looks like a great deal but how would you go about getting it, better as a new or existing customer?
    Originally posted by vix2000

I think the 50% off for 5 years was probably a mistake, as they certainly did offer a small reduction fixed for 5 years (via email).

The site is complicated, but you'd probably get a good deal if you still have the old dish and HD+ box, as they don't have to send anyone out.

The site is a mess, giving the impression that to have tv as a new customer you have to take mobile or fibre, with ADSL only mentioned on the phone/Broadband section.

It looks as if they are going for the tv and some kind of phone combination (mobile or fibre with no mention of ADSL: useless if you can't get fibre) being the only option for any wanting tv.

There's a note that says something like 'Just tv for me' but when you follow the link ,it once more adds mobile.

I have tv until December, but if I rejoin for phone and ADSL in October, it looks like it may not be possible to cancel tv for a better price as no fibre or mobile is needed in the deal.

This is even more complicated than the broadband/line combination confusion. The site seems to change every few days (I note that bundles including cinema with original days seem to have gone with bundle meaning 'with phone' ,now.)
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 1st Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Hello.

I don't know if this is a new Sky trick but i will tell you my latest dealing with them.
    My 60% discount on Variety, sports and cinema comes to an end on October 14 paying £27.20 and £12 multi on top.
    I checked my August bill on 14th and noticed it will be £119 taken on the 28/08. On checking Sky have stopped the discount on month 10 and not month 12.
    Used the Sky app but never got reply back for 8 hours so tried on 15th and after lots of messages Sky made an error and was told all bills will be sorted for the next 2 months.
    Today Sky took the £119 so i called them and the man looked into it and as bill was generated Sky cant change it but it will be refunded next month.
    During the talk the advisor said i got a text from Sky saying the on 15th saying new offer applied to my account of 60% discount for the next 6 months as Sky can't do 1,2 or 3 months discount only min 6 months.
    I am not sure if this works in their favour to stop people leaving as the date he gave me is the same date as my fibre,calls and line rental min contract ends so maybe a new Sky trick.
    Anybody else had this in the last month?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hello.

I don't know if this is a new Sky trick but i will tell you my latest dealing with them.
    My 60% discount on Variety, sports and cinema comes to an end on October 14 paying £27.20 and £12 multi on top.
    I checked my August bill on 14th and noticed it will be £119 taken on the 28/08. On checking Sky have stopped the discount on month 10 and not month 12.
    Used the Sky app but never got reply back for 8 hours so tried on 15th and after lots of messages Sky made an error and was told all bills will be sorted for the next 2 months.
    Today Sky took the £119 so i called them and the man looked into it and as bill was generated Sky cant change it but it will be refunded next month.
    During the talk the advisor said i got a text from Sky saying the on 15th saying new offer applied to my account of 60% discount for the next 6 months as Sky can't do 1,2 or 3 months discount only min 6 months.
    I am not sure if this works in their favour to stop people leaving as the date he gave me is the same date as my fibre,calls and line rental min contract ends so maybe a new Sky trick.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    That's just a genuine mistake by the sound of it from when you last renewed. Since it's only for 6 months is it a rolling monthly TV contract?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 1st Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Hello.

About this time last year there were a number of people who reported that Sky were offering discounts for 10 months on 12 month contracts -suspect that they recorded your deal incorrectly at the time.
    Hadn't heard of a 6 month extended offer anywhere - as per last post ,is it a rolling monthly contract? Otherwise you could be tied in at full price for a further 6 or 12 months
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 1st Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    That's just a genuine mistake by the sound of it from when you last renewed. Since it's only for 6 months is it a rolling monthly TV contract?
    About this time last year there were a number of people who reported that Sky were offering discounts for 10 months on 12 month contracts -suspect that they recorded your deal incorrectly at the time.
    Hadn't heard of a 6 month extended offer anywhere - as per last post ,is it a rolling monthly contract? Otherwise you could be tied in at full price for a further 6 or 12 months
    Sky have moved the goalposts further apart.
    I checked my account for futere months and still the discounts are wrong.
    Done a live chat and the outcome was bad. It is not a fixed term so that was ok.
    Bad news for me and maybe others is that Sky made the !!!!-up and the customer pays.
    My 12 month 60% discount contract ends 22 October but as the Sky computer didn't give the last 2 months at 60% and i contacted them their backroom staff applied the 60% discount to sports complete package and cinema but NOT variety.
    So my 12 month discount has now become a 10 month discount but the Sky rep said it was better for me. She said as the sports complete package had been applied the existing discount had stopped and Sky can do nothing about it.
    I was paying £12.80 for Variety now £35.
    Variety, sports, cinema was £27.20 with discount plus £12 multi is £39.20 plus £39.49 for fibre,rental and calls equals £78.69.
    August bill is £119.07 and September bill will be over £63 and Octobers will be £98 so i cant see how the Sky rep is saying i will save money for their !!!!-up.
    Sorry for long winded post but othe Sky customers should look at the bill to see if theirs is correct.
    I can leave on the 22nd October as i asked the rep so 22nd September i will call to cancel.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sky have moved the goalposts further apart.
    You know that is actually a good thing right?

The simplest solution for Sky would have been to apply a credit to your account for each of the last two months (very easily done by them despite what they said).
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 4th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    The simplest solution for Sky would have been to apply a credit to your account for each of the last two months (very easily done by them despite what they said).
    That is what i thought they would/could do.

I have seen on sky haggle thread some people are having the same issues as me. Also have been on skyuser, digitalspy and Sky's own help forum with the same issue and i/they think it's down to Sky doing the "new" sports complete package adding it the the account is canceling the discounts.
    I said before that it is a rolling discount but today i looked at my account the billing is different from 2 days ago and all the credits and refunds to me don't add up.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 4th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    This is a link to the same issue as i and other people are having but Sky think it's ok to do.
    • davehills
    • By davehills 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    davehills
    Well, our Sky TV finished a few days ago; best offer we have had is 30% (Or 40% when we called). It seems that Sky have tightened up on their retention offers!

Bye Sky!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Well, our Sky TV finished a few days ago; best offer we have had is 30% (Or 40% when we called). It seems that Sky have tightened up on their retention offers!

Bye Sky!
    Originally posted by davehills
    If you try multiple times a day you'll get differing offers, its a game of perseverance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin