Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 55
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 12th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    beaker141
    I had a proactive letter from Sky today telling me my current offers are ending and they've put me on new offers for 12 months with no contract.

Its a clever idea, as it seems reasonable I'm tempted to avoid the hassle of trying to get more off them. Last year I went through with the cancellation until they offered a decent deal.

I was on Discounted line rental currently 7.40 increasing to 9.49
    Fibre unlimited currently 10 increasing to 12
    Variety pack was 12.80 increasing to 16
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 12th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    shaggy
    Depending on your definition of a 'really good deal' you can get a very decent offer without switching off, although there's no doubt that you really do need to schedule a cancellation to get anywhere. I got 60% and £50(?) credit over a month before my switch off.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    you can get a decent offer before switching off , definitely.
    But you'll need a switch off to get even better offers.

For example, I got the full Movies + Sports HD + family downloads package for £18.50 a month, PLUS £50 credit. No contract.

Someone I know working in Sky was telling me to go through them for a good deal on Sky Q (50% off) but when they heard about my package they just said stick with that

I was only without sky for about a week or so. not a huge deal with a Smart TV you can while away the boring hours watching IPLAYER, Youtube etc.
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 12th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    you can get a decent offer before switching off , definitely.
    But you'll need a switch off to get even better offers.

For example, I got the full Movies + Sports HD + family downloads package for £18.50 a month, PLUS £50 credit. No contract.

Someone I know working in Sky was telling me to go through them for a good deal on Sky Q (50% off) but when they heard about my package they just said stick with that

I was only without sky for about a week or so. not a huge deal with a Smart TV you can while away the boring hours watching IPLAYER, Youtube etc.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I was about to ask this question. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned cancelling, which I've done, is the best way to get a good deal. I was just wondering if you had to wait for the service to have actually stopped before approaching Sky or whether just the act of cancelling triggers the better offers when chatting with the 'return to sky' people?
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 12th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    Anyone managed to get a good Fibre Unlimited deal recently...they don't seem prepared to give more than £7.50 off the £38.99 price and seem quite happy to see me go to BT?
    • browner448
    • By browner448 12th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    browner448
    [QUOTE=Krinkle;72828495]Anyone managed to get a good Fibre Unlimited deal recently...they don't seem prepared to give more than £7.50 off the £38.99 price and seem quite happy to see me go to BT?[/ QUOTE]

I got fibre unlimited for £6.01 on Sunday. Couldn't get any discount on line rental or calls as had an existing deal already but advised to call as soon as those offers end.
    • astra46
    • By astra46 12th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    astra46
    I was offered Fibre Unlimited, All calls and Line Rental for £17.40 a month, tempted as i pay a fortune for a slower Plusnet service.

What are SKY Broadband like?
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    I was offered Fibre Unlimited, All calls and Line Rental for £17.40 a month, tempted as i pay a fortune for a slower Plusnet service.

What are SKY Broadband like?
    Originally posted by astra46
    I'd be interested to hear how Sky Broadband compares to my Virgin Broadband if anybody has tried both.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 13th Jul 17, 2:09 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Just gone into MySky (2 days after cancelling) and have a "50% off any Sky+ bundle for 12 months" offer! However, even after reading the conditions, I'm not sure whether this means I get half price on my £12 Sky Multiscreen and my £6 Sky Sports HD Pack or whether it just relates to the £74 for the Box Sets with Sports and Cinema Bundle! If they are included the cost is down to the £46 a month I paid last year which I would be happy with but, if not, it's still up to £55 a month. I now see it specifically excludes the Sky Sports HD package so that £6 will not be halved and I'm guessing that the multiscreen won't be either so it looks like the offer is £55 a month. Maybe I'll hang on for another couple of weeks and see if they offer anything better.
    Last edited by moneyfoolish; 13-07-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    shaggy
    I was about to ask this question. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned cancelling, which I've done, is the best way to get a good deal. I was just wondering if you had to wait for the service to have actually stopped before approaching Sky or whether just the act of cancelling triggers the better offers when chatting with the 'return to sky' people?
    Originally posted by joshardy
    cancelling triggers your details to be passed on to another department, who will probably bombard you with phone calls trying to keep you as a customer, but I dont think you'll get better than 50% or 60% via this dept - I've tended to ignore most of these calls and not answer them so as not to waste yours , or their time. I only got one call from them , a Derby number, when I cancelled back in March.

For the best offers, you simply HAVE to let the service switch off. Then your details go to another team, the winback team or whatever theyre called. Once your service is switched off, call or use the 'if you've left in the last 6 months' chat link on your My Sky, and with a few mins of chat, and persuasion, and polite chat, you can get 75% off. Just be polite and firm. Say you want such and such package, but you had to cancel as you cant afford the price rises. What can they offer? THey may give you 50% or 60% intially, in which case cut to the chase and say your friend got 75% off with some cash on top!

Generally, they will give you the deal, depending on how desperate the person on the other end is to meet his targets.....

This is my experience anyway. Others like on the Hot Uk Deal Sky thread report other strategies, but this has worked for me this year. Last year I got 50% off box sets package plus £100 but I didnt wait for the sky to be switched off.... This year i got 75% off plus £50 credit for the full movies + sports and that actually worked out cheaper than a lower package last year LOL

Who knows how long this discount business will last, but to be honest, I'm happy to leave Sky completely and just get Netflix for my TV show fix, we already have iplayer on the TV for the BBC catchup so its not a really huge deal losing sky in this day and age. I will happily leave if i dont get the discount I want ....
    Last edited by shaggy; 13-07-2017 at 2:38 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just gone into MySky (2 days after cancelling) and have a "50% off any Sky+ bundle for 12 months" offer! However, even after reading the conditions, I'm not sure whether this means I get half price on my £12 Sky Multiscreen and my £6 Sky Sports HD Pack or whether it just relates to the £74 for the Box Sets with Sports and Cinema Bundle! If they are included the cost is down to the £46 a month I paid last year which I would be happy with but, if not, it's still up to £55 a month. I now see it specifically excludes the Sky Sports HD package so that £6 will not be halved and I'm guessing that the multiscreen won't be either so it looks like the offer is £55 a month. Maybe I'll hang on for another couple of weeks and see if they offer anything better.
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    Chances are that you'll need to be more proactive than just waiting for a phone call unless you're happy for it to turn off.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 13th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Chances are that you'll need to be more proactive than just waiting for a phone call unless you're happy for it to turn off.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks I'll get a 60% off offer when I log into MySky which would make my total bill £47.60 a month and, if so, I'll accept that without any negotiation.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 13th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Just got home from picking my son up from the station and my wife tells me that Sky telephoned while I was out and will ring back at 19:00 tonight! I wish my negotiation skills were up to scratch!
    Last edited by moneyfoolish; 13-07-2017 at 6:11 PM.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 13th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Got the call and accepted £52 a month which is a 43.5% discount on everything including multiroom and sports hd. Could probably have declined the offer and got more but have got to the stage where I just wanted it over so have accepted the offer! I was aiming to get to my last year price of £46 but only a £6 a month increase so not too bad. For other people with more tenacity than myself I recommend continued refusal until nearer (or after) the cancellation date.
    Last edited by moneyfoolish; 13-07-2017 at 7:43 PM.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 14th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    shaggy
    Got the call and accepted £52 a month which is a 43.5% discount on everything including multiroom and sports hd. Could probably have declined the offer and got more but have got to the stage where I just wanted it over so have accepted the offer! I was aiming to get to my last year price of £46 but only a £6 a month increase so not too bad. For other people with more tenacity than myself I recommend continued refusal until nearer (or after) the cancellation date.
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish

CORRECTION ...

AFTER the cancellation date
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 14th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    CORRECTION ...

AFTER the cancellation date
    Originally posted by shaggy
    Agreed - for anybody with more stamina than me!
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 15th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Good advice holding out until after cancellation date, but what happens with Sky Q ? The box has to be returned so I cannot see them wanting to give you a better deal when it has been returned, also, you will need an engineers visit to reconnect another cost.

Will be a brave person trying to wait it out after you have cancellation date.
    • davey.m
    • By davey.m 15th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davey.m
    Put my request in to sky 2weeks ago, due to go off 3rd sept, advisor could not match my current deal so I cancelled, logged into my sky the day after and have 50% off for 12months that does not include multiroom or HD, I have sky Q also and sky advisor told me they would send out pre paid parcels for my 2 q boxes and I had 90 days to return these?
  • saintscouple
    Got fed up of waiting for an offer of more than 50% advertised on their website, so googled 'come back sky' and came accross this page with a live chat link https://secure.sky.com/mysky-extras/coming-back-to-sky.
    I am still in my cancellation period and not had my services terminated yet, and didn't want the break in service, especially being a legacy customer with sky q.
    Anyhow managed to go from 50% discount to 60% with a £50 account credit and on a rolling contract, so no tie-ins.
    Happy with that.
    • davey.m
    • By davey.m 15th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davey.m
    Cheers for the Link, got the same deal and can keep my current free multiroom discount till December and the discount on the HD which was to expire early sept
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sky Q discounts, good to know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,969Users online

Martin's Twitter