Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 54
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Already just reading these I feel ripped off! I pay on average £30-£35 a month give or take (and usually it's give). I don't have a TV and don't have fiber (it's not available where I live). It's just a basic landline (which I do actually use if only to be contactable- weekend calls free) and basic internet. I've been with Sky for about 15 months now.

I'm wary of moving, I have been with BT, PlusNet, Talktalk and even tried Virgin (never again) and unreliable is too small a word for any on that list...when I had a contract with o2 I found I had the best and most reliable service...then they sold to Sky. I'm wary of moving elsewhere but really need to lower the cost.

What/where exactly do I do to get my bill lowered? Is it best to phone or use the online chat? I'm not sure by reading because it's not always clear which route people took. Is it better to try on a certain time of the day or day of the week? I'm used to just jumping ship at the end of 12/18/24 months rather than haggling so any tips would be appreciated!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    If you're out of contract (or coming up to it) you first need to research how much the other suppliers would charge you including Virgin (doesn't matter if you won't use them). That gives you ammunition.

People have had success using every method of contact but you won't get a good deal in your first call or chat, it needs perseverance.

There's new communication methods now too (not sure if you can renegotiate through them though). You can use the My Sky app on Android/iOS, SMS or Facebook Messenger.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Websites/Sky-s-messaging-service-the-new-easy-way-to-contact-us/td-p/2583924
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 11th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Every chance I'd have thought. That's a poor offer btw.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    What would be a decent offer compared to the original £92? I thought my offer last year of £46 was pretty good. However, I can't risk not having TV as my wife would be very miffed! If I could get the current offer of £62 down to last year's £46 I would be happy enough. They've already lobbed on a £20 admin fee which I suppose they'll still take even if I tell them to cancel during the cooling-off period and, no doubt, if I then got a lower offer they'd probably add another admin fee!!!!
    Last edited by moneyfoolish; 11-07-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 11th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    What would be a decent offer compared to the original £92? I thought my offer last year of £46 was pretty good. However, I can't risk not having TV as my wife would be very miffed! If I could get the current offer of £62 down to last year's £46 I would be happy enough. They've already lobbed on a £20 admin fee which I suppose they'll still take even if I tell them to cancel during the cooling-off period and, no doubt, if I then got a lower offer they'd probably add another admin fee!!!!
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    Well, I 'cancelled' and had to wait about 3 weeks before I got a 60% banner come up on my sky page...I went on chat and finally managed to get the full package inc HD sport and multiroom for £44 a month...rolling one month contract...no admin fee. I don't enjoy this process as I find it a total pain, but it's a necessity due to Sky's ridiculous prices! You should go back on the chat, explain the situation, say (...if you want) that your wife is livid at you paying so much and that you wish to cancel as £46 is as high as you can financially go. They're unlikely to give it to you but you should at least wait it out until a few days before cut-off day to see what might be offered. The discounts do tend to come and go on your homepage...may need to clear cookies if one you want to settle with disappears? You can always cancel the cancellation on the very last day if you 'chicken out'

...oh, and I also got a £50 credit as I had a light-hearted moan about the cost of multi-room and extra cost for HD sport.

...£62 is too much though, you should get it for less eventually... ...and as for the admin charge, tell them to stick that...total nonsense!!!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sorry, probably my fault. When I said a poor offer I was referring to their latest 'best we can do'. The £46 was good.

I'm in the same boat as you with the wife and she wasn't happy at the end of last year when I scheduled a cancellation but I got 60% plus credit about 5 or 6 weeks before it was due to turn off. I use live chat normally and get all the other offers around in a text document so I can copy & paste into chat, that gives them a target to meet. I think it took me 2 or 3 live chats (2 phone calls were a waste of time) before I was happy.

Of course when their phone line prices went up this March(?) I had to do it all over again for the BB/line costs but I again got what I wanted plus credit. It's purely perseverance that gets you the decent deals without actually losing the service.
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 11th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    Of course when their phone line prices went up this March(?) I had to do it all over again for the BB/line costs but I again got what I wanted plus credit. It's purely perseverance that gets you the decent deals without actually losing the service.
    How do you go about getting a good BB & Talk deal? I've been trying over the past couple of days as my Fibre Unlimited & line rental is due to spike back up to £38.99 next month! Both Sky chat and live phone are being particularly hopeless so far...first offer £7.50 off, second £5 off, third £7.80 off and today's latest was £7.50 off. They really will not budge and cancelling is a bit dodgy as you may end up having to pay a re-activation fee if your new supplier can't take over in time. I'm reluctant to go to BT as they have such a lot of negative feedback but I did use them for the comparison...I quoted their monthly cost after cashback as £19.64 and in all the Sky chats and calls so far I've been actively encouraged to go with BT...truly bizarre!

...to cap it all whilst on the last phonecall I was checking my MySky page and there was an offer of £10 off my Fibre plan, even though the guy on the other end of the phone insisted that £7.50 was the very best that was possible...what an irritating company!
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 11th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Sorry, probably my fault. When I said a poor offer I was referring to their latest 'best we can do'. The £46 was good.

I'm in the same boat as you with the wife and she wasn't happy at the end of last year when I scheduled a cancellation but I got 60% plus credit about 5 or 6 weeks before it was due to turn off. I use live chat normally and get all the other offers around in a text document so I can copy & paste into chat, that gives them a target to meet. I think it took me 2 or 3 live chats (2 phone calls were a waste of time) before I was happy.

Every time I've tried "Live Chat" on my laptop today it is "Currently Offline"!!!! It looks as though I might have to telephone.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 11th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Well, I 'cancelled' and had to wait about 3 weeks before I got a 60% banner come up on my sky page...I went on chat and finally managed to get the full package inc HD sport and multiroom for £44 a month...rolling one month contract...no admin fee. I don't enjoy this process as I find it a total pain, but it's a necessity due to Sky's ridiculous prices! You should go back on the chat, explain the situation, say (...if you want) that your wife is livid at you paying so much and that you wish to cancel as £46 is as high as you can financially go. They're unlikely to give it to you but you should at least wait it out until a few days before cut-off day to see what might be offered. The discounts do tend to come and go on your homepage...may need to clear cookies if one you want to settle with disappears? You can always cancel the cancellation on the very last day if you 'chicken out'

...oh, and I also got a £50 credit as I had a light-hearted moan about the cost of multi-room and extra cost for HD sport.

...£62 is too much though, you should get it for less eventually... ...and as for the admin charge, tell them to stick that...total nonsense!!!
    Originally posted by Krinkle
    Where are these discounts shown as I've never seen any when I sign into MySky?
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 11th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    From what I remember they appear somewhere on the Sky homepage or your MySky page...at the top I think...but only after you've given your 30 day cancellation notice.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 11th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    Every time I've tried "Live Chat" on my laptop today it is "Currently Offline"!!!! It looks as though I might have to telephone.
    find the link to livechat via the 'if youve left within the last 12 months' - that one is usually available more often and they have the leeway to give you better discounts!!!
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 11th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    Spent an hour on Sky Live Chat! They finally came up with a "fantastic" deal which was £58 a month instead of £62 but for less packages and functions! Told them to proceed with cancellation so we will see if I get any other offers! Otherwise I get switched off on August 11th.
    Last edited by moneyfoolish; 11-07-2017 at 5:27 PM.
    • makemesumdosh
    • By makemesumdosh 11th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    makemesumdosh
    Just logged into mysky, went to cancel broadband and tried chat.
    it took me to a page for free broadband unlimited if I pay for line rental £18.99 and sign for 12 months.
    always had broadband for free and called 2 weeks ago and best offer was 50% of broadband.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 12th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Space Captain
    Currently on
    Sky Broadband Unlimited - FREE
    Sky Talk Line Rental £17.40
    Sky Talk Line Rental Discounted - £10.00
    Total £7.40

That deal was ending in August so I rang first and then used online chat to cut a deal for another 12 months. Have accepted
    Sky Broadband Unlimited £2.50
    Sky Talk Line Rental £18.99
    £50 credit to my account
    They wouldn't go any lower than this and I have been happy overall with the broadband service.

I might go for the fibre option next year.
    • dondo
    • By dondo 12th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    dondo
    Right- maybe a bit of a daft question but will ask anyway

I have a discounted deal (not as good as some posted on here though) and am out of contract in the middle of next month and am more than happy to cancel TV (need broadband for work)in order to get a better deal.

My question is- do I have to wait until after my contract expiry date to cancel and, therefore, pay a non-discounted rate until my cancellation kicks in and I'm cut off?

Thanks
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Right- maybe a bit of a daft question but will ask anyway

I have a discounted deal (not as good as some posted on here though) and am out of contract in the middle of next month and am more than happy to cancel TV (need broadband for work)in order to get a better deal.

My question is- do I have to wait until after my contract expiry date to cancel and, therefore, pay a non-discounted rate until my cancellation kicks in and I'm cut off?

Thanks
    Originally posted by dondo
    No, you can schedule a cancellation at the end of your minimum term at any time. The trick is convincing the person you're speaking to that you can do this as they'd rather pass your request on to someone else as it affects their retention stats.

In your case that wouldn't be a problem anyway.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 12th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    Spent an hour on Sky Live Chat! They finally came up with a "fantastic" deal which was £58 a month instead of £62 but for less packages and functions! Told them to proceed with cancellation so we will see if I get any other offers! Otherwise I get switched off on August 11th.
    as repeated numerous times on literally every page in this thread, dont waste time 'threatening to cancel' in the hope they will offer you a better deal. No need to spend an hour 'cancelling' at all. Just simply cancel, and reject any deal they give you and say you dont have time and would like to proceed with cancelling.

Its only AFTER you get switched off, that you get the really good deals.
    • Niki Wright
    • By Niki Wright 12th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Niki Wright
    Sky contract issues
    Major success in haggling, but "they made a mistake"......
    Back in March when Sky raised their prices, I followed Martin's tips on haggling and managed to get a great deal that I was happy with which consisted of: Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited (discounted by £10 a month) sky talk (pay when you use it) and sky line rental, discounted to £12.40 a month. I said I didn't want any TV at all, but the sky advisor offered me a free Sky + subscription (which I think was for a year). This meant that I would be paying £22.40 a month. They sent me a letter confirming that the Broadband, talk and rental packages were for 18 months.
    Having now done my quarterly accounting, I have discovered that they are charging me £10 for the Sky + subscription. When I rang Sky and told an advisor I didn't want the TV package, she said my broadband and line rental price would have to go up as the offer I was given was not valid. I even spoke to a Manager and she said she had no button that she could press to offer the original price, and that as they had made a mistake, I can leave my contract. I don't want to leave - I just want what was promised to start with! Can they do this mid contract?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 12th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Back in March when Sky raised their prices, I followed Martin's tips on haggling and managed to get a great deal that I was happy with which consisted of: Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited (discounted by £10 a month) sky talk (pay when you use it) and sky line rental, discounted to £12.40 a month. I said I didn't want any TV at all, but the sky advisor offered me a free Sky + subscription (which I think was for a year). This meant that I would be paying £22.40 a month. They sent me a letter confirming that the Broadband, talk and rental packages were for 18 months.
    Having now done my quarterly accounting, I have discovered that they are charging me £10 for the Sky + subscription. When I rang Sky and told an advisor I didn't want the TV package, she said my broadband and line rental price would have to go up as the offer I was given was not valid. I even spoke to a Manager and she said she had no button that she could press to offer the original price, and that as they had made a mistake, I can leave my contract. I don't want to leave - I just want what was promised to start with! Can they do this mid contract?
    Originally posted by Niki Wright
    I remember others on the forum saying that they had been offered SKY+ recording facilities free of charge (without a Sky TV Contract) when they renewed phone/broadband deals - so sounds like they're stitching you up - unless that was only offered for customers who paid full price for line rental??
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 12th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    Originally posted by Niki Wright
    use the letter as proof of what they agreed.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    as repeated numerous times on literally every page in this thread, dont waste time 'threatening to cancel' in the hope they will offer you a better deal. No need to spend an hour 'cancelling' at all. Just simply cancel, and reject any deal they give you and say you dont have time and would like to proceed with cancelling.

Its only AFTER you get switched off, that you get the really good deals.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    Depending on your definition of a 'really good deal' you can get a very decent offer without switching off, although there's no doubt that you really do need to schedule a cancellation to get anywhere. I got 60% and £50(?) credit over a month before my switch off.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    use the letter as proof of what they agreed.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    Sky are not disputing what was offered, they're saying they can't give them the BB discount without paying the £10 for Sky+ functionality.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,238Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin