Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 53
    • walmon1900
    • By walmon1900 4th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    walmon1900
    Just cancelled via online chat.
    Within minutes got offered 50% off on mySky- should I hold out for more and maybe a Sky Q box?
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 4th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    Just cancelled via online chat.
    Within minutes got offered 50% off on mySky- should I hold out for more and maybe a Sky Q box?
    Originally posted by walmon1900
    as stated many times in this thread - hold out for more. Let your sky switch off completely, then go on the live chat and say you want to come back. Dont accept anything less than 75% off. If you persist, they may even give you £50 on top.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 4th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Space Captain
    If you click through on their website saying you want to cancel your fibre, they offer it for £10 per month. Not sure what they offer if you're only on broadband though.
    Originally posted by andrewmp
    Just broadband unlimited. No need for fibre at the moment.
    • allthatmularky
    • By allthatmularky 4th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    allthatmularky
    75% off plus £30 cashback
    Thanks cancelled Sky and went through online chat and got 75%off plus £30 cashback.
    Wanted a new sky hd box - had an ancient 40gb box - and just the sports pack. Had been offered 60% off the variety and sports pack - but Sky wouldn't go to 75% on this.
    However they offered new box and free fitting,HD, cinema,boxsets and sports for £24.50 for 12 months - pushed and got £30 cashback - so £22 all in.
    Not bad for 20 minutes on their online chat - thanks for the advice on this thread - and hope my information can help others.
    • astra46
    • By astra46 5th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    astra46
    Ive contacted Plusnet twice and told them i was leaving was offered Fibre, line rental and Unlimited Calls for £34 18 month contract.

Im not in contract so can leave when i wish.

SKY offered me the same package for £28.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 6th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    those on Sky Fibre - how good is their router range? I have a fairly large house, with large garden and wondered if its as good as the BT one?
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 6th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Fonque
    I moving into a new flat and I need broadband, so I'm not a returning Sky customer.

Throught the Live Chat I picked the current offer for the 12 month Broadband Unlimited package (for which I pay the 18.99 Line Rental) and had added Evening and Weekend Calls for Free (usually £4 a month) and I mentioned that I saw some price comparison websites were offering a £75 prepaid Mastercard for new customers, which was also chucked in.

It's not a huge discount, but for my first time setting up a utility, I quite chuffed that I negotiated a little something. Maybe next time I can do better and get a great discount when the contract ends...
    Do not make any sudden moves.
    • Thea
    • By Thea 6th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Thea
    What am I missing/ Doing wrong
    Gave my notice to Sky, was paying just over £50 a month and not gettinf much for it. Cancelled and they would not drop below £40 eventhough I was willing to change the landline to them.

So it was turned off the beginning of the week. Tried live chat- would only go down to 38.80 and that did not include the basic tv package. Told them I had a budget and could not afford it- recommended I just got tv and left the rest!

Am I missing something, or should I just look elsewhere. Currently surviving on freeview and my dongle.

• shaggy
    • By shaggy 6th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    shaggy
    Gave my notice to Sky, was paying just over £50 a month and not gettinf much for it. Cancelled and they would not drop below £40 eventhough I was willing to change the landline to them.

So it was turned off the beginning of the week. Tried live chat- would only go down to 38.80 and that did not include the basic tv package. Told them I had a budget and could not afford it- recommended I just got tv and left the rest!

Am I missing something, or should I just look elsewhere. Currently surviving on freeview and my dongle.
    Originally posted by Thea
    Did you try live chat option 'if you've left in the last 12 months' option? They have much more authority to give up to 75% off. S
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Originally posted by Thea
    Since the basic TV is just £22 a month what exactly are you going for at the offered £38.80?
    • Thea
    • By Thea 7th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Thea
    £38.80 was offered for Sky fibre unlimited and phone with the sky mobile which is apparently free. Told them sky mobile was not needed as already on a fantastic black Friday deal.

• joshardy
    • By joshardy 10th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    joshardy
    Wish I'd read this thread a week ago. Cancelled Sky (on the full package) and got a letter asking them to call to discuss new offers. Got 50% off (which I can't really complain about) but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so thinking I'll get back in touch via the online chat and ask, as I'm in my cooling off period, would they offer free installation and maybe upgrade to Sky Q. What's the worst they could say??
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 10th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    I've got the whole TV package including all sport, films, etc and muliroom (TV in 2 different rooms) and last year cancelled when the price was £92. A day before the end of the notice period they offered me it for £46 which I accepted. This year I called them and told them to cancel again as it was too expensive and they offered me an £8 reduction which I refused. They then put me onto retentions and I said I didn't want to pay more than £46 but was only offered a reduction from £92 to £62 which I accepted but it is an 18 month contract. I have 31 days cooling off and I'm now thinking that 18 months is too long and that the reduction is not enough. What are the chances of them re-negotiating if I withdraw from the contract during the cooling off period?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I've got the whole TV package including all sport, films, etc and muliroom (TV in 2 different rooms) and last year cancelled when the price was £92. A day before the end of the notice period they offered me it for £46 which I accepted. This year I called them and told them to cancel again as it was too expensive and they offered me an £8 reduction which I refused. They then put me onto retentions and I said I didn't want to pay more than £46 but was only offered a reduction from £92 to £62 which I accepted but it is an 18 month contract. I have 31 days cooling off and I'm now thinking that 18 months is too long and that the reduction is not enough. What are the chances of them re-negotiating if I withdraw from the contract during the cooling off period?
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    Every chance I'd have thought. That's a poor offer btw.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Wish I'd read this thread a week ago. Cancelled Sky (on the full package) and got a letter asking them to call to discuss new offers. Got 50% off (which I can't really complain about) but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so thinking I'll get back in touch via the online chat and ask, as I'm in my cooling off period, would they offer free installation and maybe upgrade to Sky Q. What's the worst they could say??
    Originally posted by joshardy
    I think the house move is free anyway so don't let them use that as a tactic.
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 10th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    joshardy
    It's saying £35 for a house move on the website - I'll keep you posted!
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 10th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    joshardy
    Sky playing hardball on the move cost and no upgrade to Sky Q! Just cancelled and will go for a 'come back to Sky' option and hopefully haven't just cut my nose off to spite my face!
    • astra46
    • By astra46 10th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    astra46
    Ive just had SKY Q fitted. Too late to see if i can get a better deal? Or do you get 14 days to cancel?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    csgohan4
    got free line rental and broadband for 10 pounds a month, had free broadband and line rental last year. Took me calling every day and cancelling before the contract finishes end of the month.

For some reason Sky chat doesn't work for me, the button doesn't light up to click it, maybe they banned me for getting deals
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 11th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Already just reading these I feel ripped off! I pay on average £30-£35 a month give or take (and usually it's give). I don't have a TV and don't have fiber (it's not available where I live). It's just a basic landline (which I do actually use if only to be contactable- weekend calls free) and basic internet. I've been with Sky for about 15 months now.

I'm wary of moving, I have been with BT, PlusNet, Talktalk and even tried Virgin (never again) and unreliable is too small a word for any on that list...when I had a contract with o2 I found I had the best and most reliable service...then they sold to Sky. I'm wary of moving elsewhere but really need to lower the cost.

What/where exactly do I do to get my bill lowered? Is it best to phone or use the online chat? I'm not sure by reading because it's not always clear which route people took. Is it better to try on a certain time of the day or day of the week? I'm used to just jumping ship at the end of 12/18/24 months rather than haggling so any tips would be appreciated!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,004Posts Today

9,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin