Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 50
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 4th May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    Went on the 'Chat', best I was offered was 50% off TV (...excluding multi-room of course) and 20% off BB and line rental...wouldn't budge at all from that so I cancelled! I shall have a look at any offers that come my way in the cancellation period but am resigning myself to Freeview and amazon Prime for the near future...may also get Netflix... ...fed up of having to go through this faff each year, they really should look at their pricing and try to actually encourage people to stay this way...and stop using the Premiership as an excuse to push the prices up each year, I don't have the sports channels as they are ridiculously priced...I'll get my footie elsewhere for a lot, lot less thanks!
    • roryog
    • By roryog 5th May 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roryog
    Thanks - having spoken to BT I'm limited somewhat, as my area isn't yet cabled up for Fibre (BT/Sky) or for Virgin Media full stop. So my only alternative from Sky for everything is to move the broadband & phone line to BT, albeit cheaper than my breakdown costs with Sky.

Has anyone else been in this limited scenario? I won't go telling Sky this but I imagine they might already know...
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 5th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 4,990 Posts
    • 5,142 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I left Sky last month when I moved into an area where I can't have a satellite dish.

I've just received an email from Sky offering:

Come back to unmissable shows at an unbelievable price with 60% off any Sky TV Bundle.
    Hurry, offer ends 18 May 2017
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    True. I'll call them when I get the oportunity and see if the retentions dept can do something about this package they gave me. Im happy with the cost, just not happy about the sneaky way theyve managed to separate Sports HD with everything-else-HD.

My package even includes £50 credit on top as I rejected the 75% offer at first !! (see my posts earlier in this thread!)
    Originally posted by shaggy

As you have been retained, retentions are no longer interested, so won't offer anything extra, free.

However, I took cinema and Boxed Sets (with HD) and can view any film or programme transmitted in HD (don't actually need it as we don't have a large enough screen for it to matter), but not Sport as I don't have that package.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th May 17, 4:02 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Thanks - having spoken to BT I'm limited somewhat, as my area isn't yet cabled up for Fibre (BT/Sky) or for Virgin Media full stop. So my only alternative from Sky for everything is to move the broadband & phone line to BT, albeit cheaper than my breakdown costs with Sky.

Has anyone else been in this limited scenario? I won't go telling Sky this but I imagine they might already know...
    Originally posted by roryog

You don't have to go specifically to BT. You can take ADSL from another provider (eg Talktalk, PlusNet, EE ) that covers your area and the only one you can't access is Virgin.

We don't have fibre (city area) but will have in the next couple of months (or so they have been saying for a number of years), though the exchange is enabled.

We have the Virgin cabling from the Cable and Wireless days (but Sky cut the cable to use their more attractive internal box, at my request),but don't need the very fast broadband or their high prices.

After a poor offer from Sky (It was poor then ie just free ADSL, following a few years of free ADSL and half price line), I moved to a cheaper deal with PlusNet (who aren't cheaper, now) but the service ( customer and actual product) are not as good as Sky's.

Providers do know what other services you can get in your area and do know what the others have on offer. My daughter-in-law told me this when she, briefly, worked for BT.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 05-05-2017 at 4:05 PM.
    • DannyJrm
    • By DannyJrm 7th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    DannyJrm
    I have been paying £70.99 for Variety Bundle, Sky Fibre unlimited and Line Rental. I only thought yesterday that we were paying a lot and found this forum! I contacted them today via online chat and they best the gentleman could offer was around 40% discount for TV bundle and £5 off Sky Fibre monthly - currently at £20 a month. I told him no and he went ahead with cancellation of TV package as I asked. I left it about 1 hour and went back to online chat and informed them that I currently have an offer on My Sky for 50% off for 12 months and wondering if they could beat that. They lied and said that was the best offer to which I said a friend had been offered 60% with credit, they told me they are unable to do this offer anymore to which I said Goodbye.
    They then asked me to wait while they asked their 'supervisor' and came back with an offer of 60% discount to TV package and 50% off Sky Fibre which saves me £30 a month, no credit but i'm not too fussed! I'm tied into this for 12 months which we don't mind as were planning to stay with Sky regardless.
    Quite happy with the deal!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I left it about 1 hour and went back to online chat and informed them that I currently have an offer on My Sky for 50% off for 12 months and wondering if they could beat that. They lied and said that was the best offer to which I said a friend had been offered 60% with credit, they told me they are unable to do this offer anymore to which I said Goodbye.
    They then asked me to wait while they asked their 'supervisor' and came back with an offer of 60% discount to TV package and 50% off Sky Fibre which saves me £30 a month, no credit but i'm not too fussed! I'm tied into this for 12 months which we don't mind as were planning to stay with Sky regardless.
    Quite happy with the deal!
    Originally posted by DannyJrm

They didn't lie, as the better offers come after having the tv service switched off, but did you lie about the 50% offer on your account ?
    • cheekyreddevil
    • By cheekyreddevil 7th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    cheekyreddevil
    Cancelled my Sky a few days ago, on the phone he offered me 50% off for £48 a month, yet I am paying £42 a month already!!!!.. Told him no thanks, said ok bye.
    Went on my sky page and right away got a 50% off for 12 months. Will wait till June and see what happens..
    • donblako
    • By donblako 10th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    donblako
    Price guidance
    Help needed. I've just given notice on max TV costing 88 from memory. Already being offered 50% off.

Ideal scenario is I can upgrade to Sky Q 2TB and extra box with unlimited fibre (this is on notice with talktalk) and full Tv? What's the best way to go about it!

Appreciate the input
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 10th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    Cancelled Sky around a week ago and now have 60% off offer showing on MySky page. I'm kinda tempted but this discount doesn't include multiroom (...why the hell not?) and, whilst considering to go for the Sports package (...is that still £28? ...which would make it £11.20) Shaggy goes and tells us that you have to pay EXTRA for the HD...what a confusing bloody ripoff!!!

...I may have to go on the chat to see if a cash credit can absorb that extra fee but they very rarely give discount on multiroom!
    • lynanne
    • By lynanne 12th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lynanne
    Sky offer went up!
    Hi all contract was up so decided to shop around got a good like for like deal £20 cheaper than what I was paying sky. So contacted them to cancel offered a deal for £10 less than we are currently paying said no so brought it down to almost our best deal then said would give us a credit on account for difference. Ok we said when billing came through this bill was only that price for 6 months then it went up by £10. Not having that we thought so phoned to cancel again.
    they then offered us 40% off so I asked what that would come out at per month It was more than the offer we had from them originally. So no I said wont be staying you dont seem to know what you are doing. Not heard a word since.
    • Archie Jnr
    • By Archie Jnr 14th May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Archie Jnr
    Managed to haggle £18.99/month for Sky Fibre Unlimited (38Mb) on a 12 month contract after mentioning MSE's deal with BT for the equivalent of £17.32/month (with the £200 prepaid Mastercard). Pleased that the haggling worked for once!
    • surfboard2
    • By surfboard2 17th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 48,344 Thanks
    surfboard2
    Managed to haggle £18.99/month for Sky Fibre Unlimited (38Mb) on a 12 month contract after mentioning MSE's deal with BT for the equivalent of £17.32/month (with the £200 prepaid Mastercard). Pleased that the haggling worked for once!
    Originally posted by Archie Jnr
    Any calls included?

Was this on chat or the phone?

With our broadband contract coming to an end, i was actually thinking of moving to BT for fibre, but if offered a good deal would stay.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Any calls included?

Was this on chat or the phone?

With our broadband contract coming to an end, i was actually thinking of moving to BT for fibre, but if offered a good deal would stay.
    Originally posted by surfboard2

I wouldn't imagine that calls were included, as Anytime costs £8/month and that offer equates to free fibre, which is very good, nowadays.

I used to pay £16.70 for line ADSL and Anytime calls (free ADSL and half price line), but those days, when you could separately haggle on internet and line , seem to have gone with the new 'benefit' of combined prices.
    • Scientomology
    • By Scientomology 23rd May 17, 6:36 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Scientomology
    Doesn't always work...
    Sky TV + Broadband (ADSL2+) + Calls were £60pm (£32pm TV)

Called to ask for an offer otherwise to cancel and they mentioned that I have been a customer for 16yrs so surely they could get me a 'good deal'.

They offered for 18mths:
    • Cut the £32 TV Variety package to £19.60
    • Offered Fibre Unlimited for £11.01 (£8.99 off £20 standard)
    • Waived the £50 Fibre setup
    • Line rental at £18.99

New monthly charges: £899.10pa (£49.59pm)

Added £10 admin fee
    Router P&P charge for £9.95

Actual charges: £919.05pa (£51.05pm)

I accepted but rang a few days later to mention that I could get better deals on the Fibre elsewhere:

EE: £21.44pm x 18mths

Also that they offer £22.22pm for new customers to Sky..

They told me they could not offer me a better deal than they have offered already, but tried to persuade me to stay by mentioning that Sky have been working on a 'Loyalty Scheme' which will reward people for being with Sky for years. Apparently, this will be brought out in the next 6 months so I should wait and I surely will get a better deal.

I did not want to be stuck in an 18mth contract paying them nearly £10 more waiting for some crappy dangling carrot loyalty scheme so decided to switch to a new provider for the Fibre but keep the Variety package.

I think because I am on one of the more basic packages, I'm not making them much money so they won't rush to keep me.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd May 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 18,327 Thanks
    mije1983
    Called to ask for an offer otherwise to cancel
    Originally posted by Scientomology
    This was your mistake. The front line staff don't have the ability to offer the large discounts. You actually need to set your cancellation in motion. It's then that the decent offers start coming in.

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We tell people over and over that 'threats' to leave are pointless. You have to cancel and go through with it for the best offers.

A few days without tv (actually not without as you can still view the free channels) will not harm anyone and switch on,if you get a good offer,is instantaneous.
    • m5hit
    • By m5hit 26th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    m5hit
    Just had my annual ding dong with SKY cancelled almost a month ago and the deal I have just negotiated (day before expiry!) is a 60% discount with a small credit, as below (pasted from chat):

Box Sets Bundle @ £38.00 pm
    Sports & Cinema Pack @ £36.00 pm Sky Sports
    HD Pack @ £6.00 pm
    Multiscreen 1 @ £12.00 pm

So your total monthly cost will be £92.00 per month. ==== If you rejoin Sky now with me I can offer you a flat 60% off on Box Sets, Sports and Cinema package for 12 months. So you just pay £47.60 a month for full 12 months offer period. (Saving you a massive £532.80 over a year)

Plus £20 Bill credit as a good will gesture.
    • Krinkle
    • By Krinkle 26th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Krinkle
    How did you manage to wangle the £20 credit? To be honest it really annoys me that they won't discount the multiroom cost and the HD for sports charge is !!!!in' obscene!!

...my cancellation comes into effect next weekend, I still have the 60% offer showing on my MySky page...tempting, but even better with a credit...so how d'ya do it?
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 26th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Tried my annual "cancel please" call yesterday, they offered 40% off but with a £10 admin fee and a new 18 month contract/commitment. Went through various options but couldn't come to any agreement.

Offer was Variety pack with sport and HD for £45.30 a month. Was told a note would be put on my file and no further discounts will be offered, so looks like bye bye Sky.

Have they really toughened up on retention deals or was it just pressure to sign up there and then?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,872Posts Today

6,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin