Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 195Posts
    • 63Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 24
    • bemaking
    • By bemaking 22nd Sep 16, 9:54 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bemaking
    Fitzkepp,

Indeed contact via live chat to discuss.

Mention the 'mail' you were sent as well offering 60% and the £50 credit.

Also state you'd like this on monthly rolling contract. So you have some firepower when that annual increase inevitably occurs.

They should put it through no problem.

Should the sky operator fail to do this politely decline the offer and try again in an hour with new operator.

I did this last night and it worked first time. I should also admit also I never got a mail offering £50 credit.
    • Fitzkepp
    • By Fitzkepp 22nd Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Fitzkepp
    Fitzkepp,

Indeed contact via live chat to discuss.

Mention the 'mail' you were sent as well offering 60% and the £50 credit.

Also state you'd like this on monthly rolling contract. So you have some firepower when that annual increase inevitably occurs.

They should put it through no problem.

Should the sky operator fail to do this politely decline the offer and try again in an hour with new operator.

I did this last night and it worked first time. I should also admit also I never got a mail offering £50 credit.
    Originally posted by bemaking
    Just had the conversation.

Got 60% off the TV package for 12 months, half price on Sky Fibre Unlimited for 12 months, and a £50 credit on the account.

Didn't get the rolling contract but I can live with that, still a hefty real-terms 50% reduction in monthly cost.

Thanks for the advice and useful thread guys!
    • ferrett1961
    • By ferrett1961 24th Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ferrett1961
    Just thought I would share this as Sky is not the be all and end all.

Nearly 4 months ago I cancelled and let Sky TV end as they would not match my previous discount of 60%. My bundle was family and sky sports with HD. I have had several phone calls since but until a call today they would only match the 60% deal and I found I was not missing Sky that much so declined. I am using Now TV to get the main drama channels and I am getting these for £4 per month using tickets bought on Ebay. Sports is a little bit more expensive...a weeks pass normally costs about £7 but I only watch major events like Golf tournaments. Football does not interest me so I doubt Im spending more than £10 month on TV anymore

Today I had a phone call and the CSR eventually offered me family and sky sports with HD for £23.80 per month with a £100 credit. This equates to just £15.47 per month (les than 25% of normal cost) and there is no contract. I have not accepted yet as I want to think about it and CSR is ringing back on Wed. Just need to evaluate whether I miss the pause and record options on the live TV. Not sure I do that much.

Certainly mentioning Now TV made a big difference to what I was being offered.......Now TV is effectively Sky.

Good luck all.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Sky staff have a habit of not keeping their promise to call back about your haggle.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 24-09-2016 at 3:38 PM.
    • ferrett1961
    • By ferrett1961 24th Sep 16, 5:06 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ferrett1961
    Lol.

Quite possibly but not that fussed to be honest.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Put in my cancellation this morning via live chat. No real offers -best was existing package 18% overall discount for 10 months ( actually 20% off TV packs,no discount on HD pack) .
    Interestingly, for the first time in 4 years NO attempt to offer me anything on broadband or phone rental.
    Now for the wait..............
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 26th Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Just thought I would share this as Sky is not the be all and end all.

Nearly 4 months ago I cancelled and let Sky TV end as they would not match my previous discount of 60%. My bundle was family and sky sports with HD. I have had several phone calls since but until a call today they would only match the 60% deal and I found I was not missing Sky that much so declined. I am using Now TV to get the main drama channels and I am getting these for £4 per month using tickets bought on Ebay. Sports is a little bit more expensive...a weeks pass normally costs about £7 but I only watch major events like Golf tournaments. Football does not interest me so I doubt Im spending more than £10 month on TV anymore

Today I had a phone call and the CSR eventually offered me family and sky sports with HD for £23.80 per month with a £100 credit. This equates to just £15.47 per month (les than 25% of normal cost) and there is no contract. I have not accepted yet as I want to think about it and CSR is ringing back on Wed. Just need to evaluate whether I miss the pause and record options on the live TV. Not sure I do that much.

Certainly mentioning Now TV made a big difference to what I was being offered.......Now TV is effectively Sky.

Good luck all.
    Originally posted by ferrett1961

But this is a no brainer.
    You just cancel again once your £100 has been consumed.
    Free for 4 months.
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 26th Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    Put in my cancellation this morning via live chat. No real offers -best was existing package 18% overall discount for 10 months ( actually 20% off TV packs,no discount on HD pack) .
    Interestingly, for the first time in 4 years NO attempt to offer me anything on broadband or phone rental.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Try talking to T/talk. I was amazed when they offered me £43-70 per month for Skysports, anytime calls, unlimited b/band and line rental.

I then phoned Sky who the offered me £9.99 per month for anytime calls, unlimited b/band and line rental. I quickly accepted the offer.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Sep 16, 5:26 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Try talking to T/talk. I was amazed when they offered me £43-70 per month for Skysports, anytime calls, unlimited b/band and line rental.

I then phoned Sky who the offered me £9.99 per month for anytime calls, unlimited b/band and line rental. I quickly accepted the offer.
    Originally posted by stephenliverpool1
    ......can't include b/band and phone because I've paid 12 months LR upfront in July and have a very good 24 month deal on b/band from Plusnet -free for 18 months then 6 months at £9.99
    Just thought it was interesting that they didn't even float a possible BB/Phone deal -they have done on the previous 3 negotiations!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Sep 16, 5:42 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    teddysmum

Am I reading this correctly ?

TalkTalk wanted £43.70 for line, ADSL and anytime calls (including mobile) with Skysports.

I assume : line rental £17.70, Plus tv (includes Anytime calls and ADSL ) £20, Sports £11 .This comes to £48.70, so what was the £5 reduction on ?

Then Sky offered free Anytime (Extra?) calls, free ADSL and just £9.99 for line rental, but did this depend on your taking a tv package plus Sports as well (obviously costing more), as otherwise it's not comparing like for like ?
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 26th Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    TalkTalk wanted £43.70 for line, ADSL and anytime calls (including mobile) with Skysports.

I assume : line rental £17.70, Plus tv (includes Anytime calls and ADSL ) £20, Sports £11 .This comes to £48.70, so what was the £5 reduction on ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    No idea...this is what T/talk offered !

Then Sky offered free Anytime (Extra?) calls, free ADSL and just £9.99 for line rental, but did this depend on your taking a tv package plus Sports as well (obviously costing more), as otherwise it's not comparing like for like ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I already have a 50% off deal for my TV package; including Skysports. This expires later this year and I will make sure Sky renew is with another 50% off deal; otherwise I will cancel it.

I am on a 12 month contract for my phone, b/band and line rental, which is separate from my TV deal, where I am not in contract.

For info, I was with Plusnet for b/band and phone. After my deal with Sky, I have now left them.
    Last edited by stephenliverpool1; 26-09-2016 at 6:11 PM.
    • miamoo
    • By miamoo 26th Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    miamoo
    I am rubbish at haggling, but I managed to get my full sky package inc multi room down from £92 a month to £41.60 a month, 12 months, no new contract.
    Included in this is multi room which they have reduced to £6 a month, which I can remove/re add at any point if I want to reduce the monthly bill further to £35.60. They also gave me the next months sky bill completely free.

I'm happy with this price, there is no way I will be paying £90 odd a month ever again!
    £100 - £10,000
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    teddysmum
    No idea...this is what T/talk offered !

I already have a 50% off deal for my TV package; including Skysports. This expires later this year and I will make sure Sky renew is with another 50% off deal; otherwise I will cancel it.

I am on a 12 month contract for my phone, b/band and line rental, which is separate from my TV deal, where I am not in contract.

For info, I was with Plusnet for b/band and phone. After my deal with Sky, I have now left them.
    The deals are separate, but they sometimes say they will make you a very special offer if you re-order tv , too.

Last week , on cancelling tv, I was offered tv and the ADSL calls and line for £2 more than just the ADSL calls package and line price; but full price, which I said I had no intention of paying.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 27th Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    60% off for 12 months already showing via the Sky box,altho' nothing on MySky; I'll give it until the day of switch off to see if I get offered a bill credit as well
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 27th Sep 16, 4:52 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    ......can't include b/band and phone because I've paid 12 months LR upfront in July and have a very good 24 month deal on b/band from Plusnet -free for 18 months then 6 months at £9.99
    Just thought it was interesting that they didn't even float a possible BB/Phone deal -they have done on the previous 3 negotiations!
    Interesting.

As I advised, I was with Plusnet until I moved my b/band and phone to sky. I had been with Plusnet for almost 2 years. They were very good and offered me some good deals. For my last deal, I was lead to believe by them that I had paid my line rental upfront for 12 months. By chance, I found that this was incorrect and cancelled my alleged contract penalty free after the recent P/net price rises. I offered P/net the chance for renewal if they could match sky. They refused to do this so byeeeee lol !!!!
    • FrozenChicken
    • By FrozenChicken 28th Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FrozenChicken
    Tried my luck again on Live Chat, bearing in mind they've probably got quarterly targets to hit.

Got offered:
    60% off TV
    50% off Multiroom
    £100 bill credit
    No contract

Hope that helps as a benchmark
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Sep 16, 7:36 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Following my email offering 60% off until 30th September, I now have a letter extending the offer to 3rd October.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 28th Sep 16, 9:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JP1978
    Does the board think that the call centre staff look to see if your house can get Virgin before they offer a deal.... ie, if they know you cant get Virgin, do they keep their prices up?

I ask as we will be going to Sky soon as we are moving house to a non Virgin area....

Also, BT fibre checker says approx 5 months until the area is on fibre - so if I do a deal when we move in, will I be able to upgrade to fibre as soon as its ready or will I have to wait for the 12 month minimum term to expire?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Sep 16, 11:30 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I imagine they do know, as my daughter-in-law used to work for BT and said call centre staff have a list of the offers from other companies, so know if you are bluffing.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 28th Sep 16, 11:45 PM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 16,879 Thanks
    mije1983
    Does the board think that the call centre staff look to see if your house can get Virgin before they offer a deal.... ie, if they know you cant get Virgin, do they keep their prices up?

I ask as we will be going to Sky soon as we are moving house to a non Virgin area....

Also, BT fibre checker says approx 5 months until the area is on fibre - so if I do a deal when we move in, will I be able to upgrade to fibre as soon as its ready or will I have to wait for the 12 month minimum term to expire?
    Originally posted by JP1978

I don't live in a Virgin enabled area, and have never found the need to quote Virgin prices to obtain a 50 or 60% discount.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,443Posts Today

6,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin