Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 21st Aug 15, 3:37 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    Haggle with RAC, AA & more
    • 21st Aug 15, 3:37 PM
    Haggle with RAC, AA & more 21st Aug 15 at 3:37 PM
    Hi folks,

We've just written a new guide - Haggle with RAC, AA & more - please take a look and we would love to hear your feedback and successes.

Thanks,

MSE Rebecca
    Last edited by Former MSE Rebecca; 21-08-2015 at 4:13 PM.
Page 1
    • womanly-panther
    • By womanly-panther 12th Sep 15, 1:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    womanly-panther
    • 12th Sep 15, 1:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 15, 1:29 PM
    Got my RAC renewal through at £147, a quick call to RAC later & they offered me 30% off - new price £103!
    • rugger
    • By rugger 12th Oct 15, 4:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rugger
    • 12th Oct 15, 4:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 15, 4:02 PM
    Our RAC renewal of £185 has just been reduced to £119! Thanks for encouraging me to haggle.
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 7th Dec 15, 7:33 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    onashoestring
    • 7th Dec 15, 7:33 PM
    50% off AA renewal
    • 7th Dec 15, 7:33 PM
    Time for AA renewal. Have been AA customer for several years and happy with their services but not their renewal price.

For single membership, vehicle cover & home start was initially quoted £127 .34 . Did my homework, RAC would give me this cover for £77 plus £20 gift voucher. AA then offered £95.50 with the same offer fixed for next year as well. Turned this down , pointing out new customers are being offered this cover for £77.
    AA reduced the quote to £82. Refused this as still more than RAC.
    AA then agreed to undercut RAC £62.59.

Sucessful haggling over 50% discount.

Give it a try.
    Last edited by onashoestring; 23-12-2015 at 8:20 AM.
    • David 67
    • By David 67 12th Jan 16, 10:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    David 67
    • 12th Jan 16, 10:47 AM
    43% reduction.
    • 12th Jan 16, 10:47 AM
    My £148 RAC renewal arrived, so I checked with AA and Greenflag. The £58 cashback that you showed appears to have finished, but RAC matched the £84 quote from Greenflag, giving me a 43% reduction in the cost. Thank you.
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 13th Jan 16, 1:32 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Mr K
    • 13th Jan 16, 1:32 PM
    • 13th Jan 16, 1:32 PM
    No need to bother with haggling.

Just keep switching provider every year. You end up getting cover for next to nothing plus cashback. I've been a new customer with the AA now 4 times.
    • discountcrazy
    • By discountcrazy 15th Jan 16, 3:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    discountcrazy
    • 15th Jan 16, 3:48 PM
    Got better price even after taking cashback into consideration!
    • 15th Jan 16, 3:48 PM
    RAC breakdown renewal was £114 for 12 months cover. AA after cashback would have been £55.17. However as I'd also given Green Flag and Auto Aid quotes, and threatened to leave, RAC renewed for 14 months at £55.
    Success! Thanks to Martin and his team.
    • TheScoop
    • By TheScoop 30th Jan 16, 11:26 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    TheScoop
    • 30th Jan 16, 11:26 AM
    • 30th Jan 16, 11:26 AM
    10 minutes on the phone to RAC and reduced premium by almost 40%.

I was clear from the outset what my target price was (using cashback site to get realistic alternative premium). I didn't accept the first offer of 25% discount using the phrase "I'll have to go away and think about that". A quick referral up to the manager and I got to within £3 of my target without the hassle of switching providers and waiting for the cashback.
    • MotorsRock
    • By MotorsRock 9th May 16, 11:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MotorsRock
    • 9th May 16, 11:52 AM
    • 9th May 16, 11:52 AM
    Last year's renewal was ridiculous, so I haggled and paid £80 for Home Start, Roadside and Relay but for one named vehicle only as I never drive anyone else's car.

This year they wanted £129.70 for the same, a 62% increase. The higher insurance premium tax accounted for only £4 of that.

Haggled and they quickly took it down to £85 i.e. same as last year apart from the tax, which is not their fault.

Result! Chapeau !
    • Billoonatic
    • By Billoonatic 22nd Jun 16, 11:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Billoonatic
    6 Mins saves 25% (= £62) and same price for next year too
    Win Win.
    Thanks
    • cag1665
    • By cag1665 2nd Aug 16, 9:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cag1665
    Worth haggling
    I have just joined the RAC. Thought i would phone them rather than do it online and give it a try. Got personal cover for both my son and myself for £130 instead of £150 for full cover. Some may say it's not a lot but still it's a saving.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Aug 16, 9:48 PM
    • 25,859 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    £65 off my RAC renewal again this year. Pain having to haggle each year, but i know every company will be the same.

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • EssexBiker
    • By EssexBiker 3rd Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EssexBiker
    Result
    I have just had an upbeat conversation with an RAC rep.

After 5 years of membership the renewal for a very basic policy was coming at £145.

I mentioned that I could get homestart and onward recovery too from the AA for just £135 and they matched it.

To be fair, I have needed the RAC to assist 3 times in 5 years both with the Bike and (former) car and they have given, spot on service.

I think, as per the suggestions in MMSE's advice is to keep the conversation positive, upbeat, friendly and somewhat guarded.

HAPPY BUNNY.....
    If you want it to fit, it will
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 3rd Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    LABMAN
    GreenFlag was ~£50 for me for Recovery Plus on renewal in March...no haggling required!
    Je suis Parisien
    • Rosemary
    • By Rosemary 1st Dec 16, 10:22 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Rosemary
    Reduced AA fee.
    Got the renewal letter which said it would renew automatically - not on your life! I check every policy when it comes to renew for the best deal. I rang the AA and got it down from £146 to £85 for the year, and they said that the fee would be fixed for next year's renewal too! Sad bit is I did it by phone so could not take advantage of cashback. Best deal would have been to cancel completely and sign up fresh!
    • mufi
    • By mufi 1st Dec 16, 12:43 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    mufi
    Just about same result as Rosemary, though she's obviously slightly better at it than I, as only got it down from £147 to £88 (home start/onward journey etc cover), plus forgot to fix it for next year. Damn!
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 1st Dec 16, 2:24 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 7,924 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Slightly staggered by the prices in this thread. I've used Green Flag on various cars for about ten years and have never paid more than £100! That's for the top-but-one cover level that includes homestart and nationwide recovery (ie breakdown in Scotland and insist on being brought home to Essex).

Green Flag are invariably cheaper if your car is less than ten years old, I've found. The AA and RAC have fixed prices for everyone for the same level of cover. Green Flag are insurance-based and quote based on what car you've got and how old it is.

When I had my oldest car, I found that at about the ten-year-old point they became as expensive as the AA and RAC. For cars younger than that though, I've always found them to be significantly cheaper.

I've had several call-outs over the years and they've always come quickly. They don't have their own branded vans like the AA and RAC. They have a network of local garages and they'll send someone out from the nearest if you break down. They've always got me going again.

At the very least, if you don't want to switch, get a quote from them and use it to haggle with AA/RAC.
    • 4legs
    • By 4legs 1st Aug 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    4legs
    Gave DirectLine (GreenFlag parent Co) a call carried out the Haggle process got £48 knocked off - good Eh - thanks to you all...joe
    • malkypaul
    • By malkypaul 9th Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    malkypaul
    Hi All

You must all be made of money to pay the AA/RAC exorbitant rates, I am with AUTOAID and just renewed for £43:21p annually, It does everything that RAC/AA do but MUCH CHEAPER cos it's an insurance against breaking down, If you have a relatively reliable vehicle, Why pay exorbitant prices on something you may not use.
    Malkypaul
    • glosjools
    • By glosjools 11th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    glosjools
    Breakdown Insurance
    Just about to renew with Start Rescue for £25.91 for the year. I called them out a couple of years ago... had my credit card all ready to pay for the 'rescue'... they said' It's OK, nothing to pay, we'll claim it directly from Start'. What more could you want?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin