PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How many times a week/month do you go food shopping?

Options
I am trying to shop weekly, but i end up having to go 2-3 times a week for fresh fruit and veg (we get through a LOT of F&V).

How often does everyone else food shop? Is once a week 'normal'?
Just curious really.

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As and when it is needed, veg is normally bought on the day (unless I have to stay by the work phone over lunch), meat is picked up twice a week, Monday and Thursday.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Usually twice a week, I tend to go when I am needing bread, everything else can usually wait until then :)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We grow all our own veg and freeze it for the rest of the year and most fruit as well. I shop every 8 days and usually work it into a day out with OH as I don't drive. I can recommend the book "Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half" by steve and Annette Economides which saved me a fortune when I read it. I also have built up a large store cupboard and run 2 freezers which are both full. All on just a pension so I think I do quite well.
  • Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Hello - good question and I suspect some answers will depend on location of shops. I have easy access to shops so I go every Saturday morning for all groceries and toiletries etc, but I buy meat online every 3 months and freeze it. My fresh fruit and veg stay fresh all week in the drawers in my fridge and I freeze bread and buy long life milk so I don't have to go shopping again. :D
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • MrsPepperpot
    Options
    We go once a week. We normally have to top up on milk and a loaf of bread towards the end of the week. I meal plan and we have a spreadsheet with everything we use on it and we tick what we need. This works quite well ... but only if I remember to look in the cupboards and not try to guess! :rotfl:
    Sometimes it just is
  • happydays89
    Options
    I go about 5/6 times a week.just grab fruit and veg when it's reduced to 10p a pack, freeze or dehydrate it.
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Almost every day.. I've tried weekly shoppings but food never lasts so long, so I pick fruit and veg every day on my lunch break and then meat/fish the day I'm going to cook it.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a tad complicated, but I'll try and simplify it.:o

Farmers market - once a month, first Sunday of the month.
    This is for: Cheese, Eggs, Bread flour, Honey and our one-a-month treat of unpasteurised cream.
    There's a second Farmers Market on the 3rd Sunday we can go to if we need emergency supplies of any of the above (as this month - we've gone through a LOT of eggs because I have a crop of mouth ulcers so am eating soft food)

Fruit & Veg market - once a week, every Saturday.

Coffee beans - on average once a month, from Wh!ttards; we buy 500grams at a time.

Everything else - I make a list, and when there's enough on it to be worth going OR we need something fairly urgently (usually milk) we shop.
    First port of call is @ldi, thenT£sco. Things I can't get in either of those, I send Mr LW to Morribunds in his lunch break (they have a branch close to his office).

This may be three visits (one to each SM) in one week, or I may go 3 weeks with only needing to get Mr LW to swing by @ldi for milk and butter on his way home; it varies tremendously.

I keep the freezer stocked and the cupboards have a good supply of tins and dry goods, and when something is used, I immediately put it on the list to replace it.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tend to go most days, partly because I love the challenge of picking up a bargain. The upshot is that there are enough supplies here to withstand Armageddon. Seriously though I rarely buy anything at all unless it is reduced or Aldi's special 6, etc. and shop much less often in winter when it's all a bit of an effort. As I work at home the interaction with the till assistant might be the only human contact I have on rare occasions.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually go to ALD1 once a week for most things; farmfoods every couple of months for freezer stuff, n the Asian supermarket every couple of months for dried pulses, slices and herbs:j it's much easier now i'm only having to please myself :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family