Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mapryan
    • By mapryan 7th Aug 15, 4:17 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 23Thanks
    mapryan
    0 WOW
    Airbnb does not give an option to pay in the local currency on credit card
    • 7th Aug 15, 4:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Airbnb does not give an option to pay in the local currency on credit card 7th Aug 15 at 4:17 PM
    When I buy something in another country, for example a Ryanair flight from Germany to London, the option is there to pay either in Euros or Sterling. However, Airbnb doesn't give you this option but always forces you to accept their conversion, even though the price can be shown in the local currency when it's booked.

Is this legal under EU law? Do they have to offer me the ability to pay in the local currency? I would imagine if they didn't have to then Ryanair wouldn't be doing it!

Thanks
Page 2
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    dj1471
    There's been a more recent thread on here somewhere.

You are paying in the local currency as far as credit card company rules are concerned because Airbnb have a UK company that manages their payments.

I agree that this is a scam. I suggest not using Airbnb.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    buglawton
    I only spotted the Airbnb currency scam after making a lot of effort locating an Airbnb rental and messaging with the owner. A bit late to back out by then.

But scams have consequences. As with the Ryanair partner seating proximity scam, where I now don't look at Ryanair first anymore, next time I will check Flipkey and Homeaway first.

In fact I had a reasonable booking with Homeaway once before so it'll be worth the effort. And I intend to pay in native Euros!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

1,227Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin