Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dericS
    • By dericS 1st Aug 15, 2:51 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    dericS
    Smart meters - what is the catch?
    • 1st Aug 15, 2:51 PM
    Smart meters - what is the catch? 1st Aug 15 at 2:51 PM
    Hello

I have received 3 letters from my energy provider recently urging me to install smart gas and electricity energy meters. I have done a bit of research on the pros and cons and actually think the idea is a rather good one. I like the notion of 'saving' by isolating the times when usage is heaviest and targeting ways of reducing consumption (or changing my habits to use energy at cheaper times).

However - there are several concerning 'cons' to this which I wanted to get other views on - specifically, the notion that energy companies can save costs by being able to remotely read meters - not in itself a bad thing - but will these cost savings be passed on to the consumer? Additionally, I am disturbed by the prospect that energy companies could tailor our bills so that they could charge us more for heavy usage even when we are not using the energy at peak times.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of smart meters, whether anybody has already installed them (and what savings have you made?!) and whether it really is a viable option to revert back to the existing meters if smart meters do not work for you?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Page 8
    • JDC2017
    • By JDC2017 12th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JDC2017
    LOL - I'm obviously making a complete hash of the explanation.

Thanks to badmemory for summing it up nicely.

The old gas meter and its earthing bond to a pipe was 'compliant'.

The new gas meter and its earthing bond to a pipe is not 'compliant'.

Eon Customer Servies are back at work today so I will be trying to have the work evaluated.
    John
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 12th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Originally posted by JDC2017
    Compliant to what, and certified by who?

npower replaced all their gas pipework up to our gas meter. Additionally, the gas meter was replaced with a new gas meter approx four years ago so the gas meter and its pipework had previously all been thoroughly tested, checked and passed by experienced engineers.
    No mention here about the electrical installation being checked by electrical engineers.

handed me a card headed 'Safety Notice' which went on to state that: 'It appears that the gas installation pipework fitted at your property may not have Electrical Equipotential bonding correctly fitted . I am required under section 18(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998 to advise you that the Electrical Installation should be checked by a competent electrical contractor.'
    So they haven't said it's non compliant at all, they're just advising you that it might be.

What is relevant is whether the bonding itself has changed, and not whether what you're being told about it has changed. If they really have left the bonding in a different state to what they found it then you have grounds for complaint if it's non-compliant, but it's not at all clear from anything you have said that that is the case. So far we have 'not necessarily' compliant before the change, and 'may be' non-compliant after the change, and no real idea whether the actual wiring has been changed at all.

I find it difficult to imagine that they would have removed the bonding from the old pipe and not replaced it on the new one. If they have left it off, then you have grounds for complaint, but if they have replaced it, then it's unlikely it's any more or less compliant than it was before they came.
    Last edited by jack_pott; 12-06-2017 at 10:44 AM.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters

I'd recommend raising this directly with our smart teams. Contact details are on our website under 'Help and Support.' They'll raise a complaint, investigate the job done and offer a resolution. They'll also be able to help you understand the meters better and, if required, arrange further instruction.
    Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    LOL - I'm obviously making a complete hash of the explanation.

Thanks to badmemory for summing it up nicely.

The new gas meter and its earthing bond to a pipe is not 'compliant'.

Eon Customer Servies are back at work today so I will be trying to have the work evaluated.
    As I mentioned earlier JDC2017 (post #132). Best to go directly to our smart teams with this (contact details are on our website). Customer Services won't have the necessary access to help here and will put you on hold whilst they connect you. Will save you a bit of time waiting on the phone.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,197Posts Today

6,979Users online

Martin's Twitter