Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,711Posts
    • 11,816Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 65
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Is it just me, or does anyone else look at that image and start to picture their girls' legs, just to mentally check .... !?!

I am sad to report that I lost one of our two oldest girls a week or so ago from ascites. I thought she was just getting slow and a bit down, which some of the others have done, and they perk up again in a couple of weeks or so - so I was just coaxing her along thinking things would change. Then one day when I picked her up I noticed how little flesh she had on her, but her abdomen was swollen and seemed to distress her when I pressed it, and she was panting. Cue frantic looking up on the internet, and then phone call to OH to buy a syringe since he was out! Unfortunately it was too late for her, but at least we now know, so that is *another* thing to look out for.. At least she had a good life, was totally pampered, and a great character
    Originally posted by vjm63
    Hi vjm63

How sad that you have lost one of yours . Never gets any easier each time does it? But, as you say she had a good life with you and was totally pampered. Like mine spoilt rotten I guess too!!

With regards of what happened to her as you say at least you now know in future what to look out for. Same goes for the other hen keepers that post on our hen thread.

The trouble with hens and their pecking order is that the top hens always get food and those much lower down in the pecking order more often than not get less than their fair share. This can make some of them that were maybe originally at the top of the pecking order get a bit down and they go quiet. It is always best to pick them up to see if anything is going on and they get a cuddle at the same time. You can't always see what is going on though so best just to monitor them over a few days and check that they are eating and drinking ok as that is always a good sign.

Oh and yes I was mentally checking my girls legs after seeing the image too. Maybe I think it is just a natural thing for us to do after seeing it.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 19-11-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 8 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 19th Nov 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 4,157 Thanks
    Beckyy
    vjm63, sorry to hear about your old girl!

Personal opinion - would you hold off leg rings while treating scaly leg mite or do you not think it matters?

My new hens are very hard to tell apart and it would be helpful to put leg rings on, but I've not in case it causes irritation or rubs off the ointment/spray. I'm maybe over thinking it though!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    vjm63, sorry to hear about your old girl!
    Personal opinion - would you hold off leg rings while treating scaly leg mite or do you not think it matters? My new hens are very hard to tell apart and it would be helpful to put leg rings on, but I've not in case it causes irritation or rubs off the ointment/spray. I'm maybe over thinking it though!
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    My personal opinion is that I wouldn't put leg rings on them until the mite problem has fully cleared up. I think perhaps that it could irritate the area more which is already irritated from the mite problem they have.

HTH

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 23rd Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    We have brought another very old ex batt indoors this morning. She is nice and snug sitting by the stove eating the odd piece of sweetcorn, bless her!

She came out of their hotel this morning but didn't venture any further than the hens coop in to the garden. Poor little thing just stood there huddled up trying to keep warm and hadn't eaten any breakfast as her crop was totally empty when we picked her up

I was dreading this winter for my remaining exbatts cos they are all very old now

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 23rd Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Hi Edwink
    Story to hear about your elderly hen. Hopefully she might shake it off with the heat and the mealworms. She’s being pampered and that’s the main thing.
    Mine are still trying not to get blown around by the gales and actually managed a couple of hours of bathing in the sunshine this afternoon. Now there’re looking cold though and ready for bed.
    I hope she gets better. Bless her little heart.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • edwink
    • By edwink 23rd Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Edwink
    Story to hear about your elderly hen. Hopefully she might shake it off with the heat and the mealworms. She’s being pampered and that’s the main thing. Mine are still trying not to get blown around by the gales and actually managed a couple of hours of bathing in the sunshine this afternoon. Now there’re looking cold though and ready for bed. I hope she gets better. Bless her little heart.x
    Originally posted by StarShapedPeg
    Thank you StarShapedPeg. She is fast a sleep in front of the kitchen stove tonight where I can keep an eye on her, bless her. Gave her some tonic in some water and she has had some of that plus the sweetcorn I gave her earlier.

Mine had a sunbathe too today in the sheltered areas of our garden . They tucked themselves in any crevice they could find to keep warm when the wind really started around here. At one time I found 3 hens and my beautiful Cockerel all huddled up together and bless the Cockerel he was standing right in front of the 3 girls keeping the wind off of them What a clever thoughtful boy he is, bless him.

Hope it is not windy tomorrow like it was here today, fingers crossed.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 23rd Nov 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Our little oldie hen has gone to hen heaven. She was quite old for an ex-batt although I don't know exactly how old she was

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • SisterAnna
    • By SisterAnna 24th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    SisterAnna
    My neighbours friend had some ex-battery hens once. They were with her for nearly two years and she was so sad about loosing them. When the 4 had gone she went bought some and they she said are now 5 years old so are obviously lasting quite a bit longer that the battery hens she previously had. As an animal lover I find it sad myself that they don't live to a real old age but think it is wonderful that most of you guys on here have them or have previously had some.

I really do like reading the hen stories on here especially of what the ex-battery hens get up to. Considering the lives that they originally had it is nice to know that they do thrive when people like yourselves who take them in. I wanted to add a smiley face at the end but don't know how to do it.
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 24th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Rest in peace, little one.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 27th Nov 17, 7:33 AM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Sorry to hear about your oldie hen, Edwink.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 29th Nov 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 6,320 Thanks
    ali-t
    Sorry to hear about your oldie. I haven't been on here much recently. Always sad to hear of a loss xx
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 12:33 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Apologies in advance if this is an insensitive question, but when you've kept hens that are more as pets than for eggs, what do you do when they die? Iyswim
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 29th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Apologies in advance if this is an insensitive question, but when you've kept hens that are more as pets than for eggs, what do you do when they die? Iyswim
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    No problem with you asking Pyxis.

We always bury ours in our garden because we have the space to do that. Will we run out of space one day? Maybe not sure but will have to cross that bridge when we come to It Still have plenty of room at the moment I'm pleased to say.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 29-11-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Dec 17, 6:39 AM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Am sure people on this thread know about this, but just in case......

I found it on the Alphabetty thread in the Arms. It's on this weekend.

http://nationalshow.poultryclub.org

Last edited by Pyxis; 02-12-2017 at 6:59 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 2nd Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Am sure people on this thread know about this, but just in case......
    I found it on the Alphabetty thread in the Arms. It's on this weekend.
    http://nationalshow.poultryclub.org

Thank you so much for posting this information Pyxis.

I am no where near Telford but perhaps others on here are and would like to go.
    Love the little trio of chicks. Have a funny looking dancing one in return.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 2nd Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    BBC NEWS artical on-line today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42208550

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    BBC NEWS artical on-line today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42208550

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    Is th bird flu thing still ongoing?

Are free-range hens still not allowed outside?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 2nd Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Is th bird flu thing still ongoing?

Are free-range hens still not allowed outside?
    Hi Pyxis

Free range poultry are allowed out since the ban was lifted earlier this year. Thankfully we have not got bird flu in the UK right now. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we don't get it here again.

Ours are free range but luckily for us we have a 23ft x 12ft chicken wired enclosure including a wired roof. So when the ban was introduced we completely covered the top over with tarpaulin and attached two layers of fine netting all the way around the sides. Its like a play ground in there with objects to climb on, logs to pick at, cabbage, lettuce and courgettes hanging from string. Somewhere for them to dust bathe and 2 outdoor shelters with perches in them and of course their overnight hotel which is actually not in there but attached to the side. Oh and a wooden bench for me to sit on for cuddles with them. So although mine were in they were actually out IYSWIM.

It wasn't so easy for those that don't have a massive coop as we do. Covering over a much smaller area would have been a little dark for their hens unless they were able to cover over and secure clear plastic sheeting.

I just hope a new ban is not introduced over this winter.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 02-12-2017 at 6:43 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 31,173 Posts
    • 114,916 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Henny cuddles sound nice! Especially if they also make those little clucking noises!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 2nd Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    edwink
    Henny cuddles sound nice! Especially if they also make those little clucking noises!
    Oh they do make those noises they really do. Plus the try hard to find things to eat in my hair and peck at my wedding ring because it is shiny. Funny lovable little things they really are.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 02-12-2017 at 7:56 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin