Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,666Posts
    • 11,729Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 63
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    I think she must have been egg bound!
    I feel rather dreadful for not having picked up on it sooner. She seemed fine in herself, was eating and drinking, just wouldnt support her own weight and kept her toes curled. Her comb and wattle were still a nice blushed pink....

Her back end seems a little mucky (not badly) today, but id put that down to her having been sat in the same spot for days so effectively just sitting 'in it'. I'm going to bring her in for a bath shortly so clean her up, and hopefully she'll continue to improve.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Hi CAFCGirl

So glad she is improving that's great.

Please don't be hard on yourself regarding not knowing what was happening with her. Remember all of us, yes all of us have had to learn about what is happening with our hens mostly by experience. We can read as much as we like about hens and their ailments/health before we bring some home and not take in all we have read. We are really not supposed to know it all, honestly we are not. I had to start somewhere too! When my very first rescue hen died after being with us for only 6 months I remember ringing up the rehoming lady in tears saying I could have done more and why has she gone to hen heaven so quickly. It was this lady that reassured me and said even she had to learn by experience too and that these rescue hens often die prematurely and that I had done nothing wrong whatsoever.

Best thing you can do for her now as a responsible hen keeper like you are is to keep a very close eye on her to make sure she is still improving. When you bring her in for a bottom/feather wash today have a good feel around her vent area and underneath to get a idea what she feels like. This will give you confidence if the same happens to her again because you will be able to pick her up and see if she feels differently to how you remember she felt underneath whilst cleaning her up. Hope that makes sense.

You are right in the fact as she was sitting around her bottom will get mucky as she is sitting in it and the best you can do for her is to clean her up as it would be too much for her to clean once she gets over this.

As I said we have all had to learn mostly by experience and this is the reason I started this thread several years ago. I was still learning by experience myself then and I wanted to be able to help others along, learn more myself and also share hen/duck stories to make it fun too. So please don't beat yourself up about it. Chin up your ickle feathered friends wouldn't want to see their mum sad would they?

Take care

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 10 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 8th Oct 17, 10:40 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    vjm63
    I am so pleased, CAFCGirl, that your girl got herself sorted. As Edwink said, it is all a learning thing with these obsessions hens of ours!

I have nursed all my girls except the new Rhodies at one time or another, sometimes several times, and for some it works so I did what was needed, other times they left me - but at least I have known I tried, and each time I learn a little more. One I have now is called Dodo because she was the first to get poorly - not eating, drinking, very floppy - but I coaxed her back with lots of attention and warm watery mash - hence the name!

Just last week one of the 2 1/2 year olds was just sitting, very listless, comb darkening at edges, she did not perk up overnight, so I made up warm watery mash of their food with added poultry zest, and then caught her and was coaxing her to eat, sitting on my lap. This three times a day, thinking at least with some warmth, food and water in her she can have a chance at fighting it off. She did - she is now back to trotting across the lawn towards me and the treats tub when I call them, right as rain! I think she quite enjoyed the personal restaurant, frankly.

Someone mentioned egg size earlier, which I meant to comment on. My Rhodies lay eggs in the mid 40s gramme wise, whilst the Bresse lay 50- 69g typically, when they can be bothered. The biggest egg we have had so far is 93g - it barely fitted in the egg carton where I store them! I think I started weighing them just to see the difference, not sure - but it is fun to have a record of the girls in so many ways! Today they re-discovered the grapes on the grapevine, soon after followed by the old still standing sweetcorn - after that was a lie down in the sun - they probably needed it!
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 9th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    vjm63
    Just me again, because I appear to have a hen that crows!- anyone else had one?

I know that she is a girl, because she is one of my original four from 2015, and we had plenty of days with four eggs from them, plus I know I saw her actually laying several times. She has been moulting / with quite a bare bum for months - I think the others could have pecked out the pin feathers - but has seemed fine otherwise. I know she was laying off and on in July, despite lack of feathers, and she is probably top of the pecking order.
    Recently she was droopy, and was the one I was hand feeding last week. Now she goes very upright, flaps her wings and starts crowing! Maybe she is taking the concept of boss-hen to heart
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    Just me again, because I appear to have a hen that crows!- anyone else had one?

I know that she is a girl, because she is one of my original four from 2015, and we had plenty of days with four eggs from them, plus I know I saw her actually laying several times. She has been moulting / with quite a bare bum for months - I think the others could have pecked out the pin feathers - but has seemed fine otherwise. I know she was laying off and on in July, despite lack of feathers, and she is probably top of the pecking order.
    Recently she was droopy, and was the one I was hand feeding last week. Now she goes very upright, flaps her wings and starts crowing! Maybe she is taking the concept of boss-hen to heart
    Originally posted by vjm63
    Hi vjm63

You are right she is taking the concept of boss hen to heart. We have had a couple of hens like that over the years. They do look so funny when they stretch to be the tallest, flap their wings about like mad and try to let out this funny crowing sound. She will settle down after a while when she becomes top hen as mine have down over the past.

Funny little things these hens are don't you think?

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 09-10-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 13th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    Its gone all quiet on our hen thread so I hope everyone is ok plus your feathered friends too of course.

My girls and boys are plodding on ok thankfully. I have a couple of slower ex batt hens so it is to be expected, bless them. All eating well which is great.

Our poor Cockerel has lost some weight as he is such a polite generous boy and keeps giving his food especially the treat food to his girls. Anyway went up to let them out the other morning and as usual the hens come flying out literately and the poor Cockerel turned round to also come out and as he did he slid through the perching bars. Poor little thing was dangling with his wings spread out on to the bars. Hubby raced in to their hotel and lifted him out of the gap no problem and put him on the floor. Bless him he was flapping about and lost a couple of his pretty feathers in the process. He has been with us for 2 years now and lost weight last summer too but nothing like this happened to him then, thankfully. Maybe he just lost his footing whilst turning round in there.

Last cut of the lawn this week so my girls will miss their pile of cut grass over the Winter But neighbour is cutting hers too so they will get a much bigger pile this time That should keep them happy for a while.

Hope all is good everyone. Take care.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 13-10-2017 at 5:06 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 17,613 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Chicken Stew is now fully recovered thankfully!

You wouldn't know a thing had happened to her!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • edwink
    • By edwink 15th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    Chicken Stew is now fully recovered thankfully! You wouldn't know a thing had happened to her!
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Aww that's really good news bless her. It must be all that tlc you gave her. Didn't know her name was chicken stew

Have had another ex batt loss during the night. She didn't go up on to the perches in their hotel at bed time last night but climbed in to the nesting box instead. Hubby found her this morning still in the nesting box so She must have gone in her sleep. Bless her.

Off too change my signature yet again.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 15-10-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 15th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    orangecrush
    Oh Edwink I’m so sorry to hear about your loss! It sounds like she went peacefully though.

CAFCgirl I’m glad your lady recovered! I love her name
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 15th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    orangecrush
    We had one of our newbies at the vet this week. Integrating the two newbies to our chunky chicken has not gone well! Chunk has taken a particular dislike to the older newbie, and gave her such a pecking on the head that the poor thing ended up with an enormous abscess that the vet had to drain. She’s in solitary for the moment while she is on antibiotics. We got some bumpa bits for Chunk but she just pulls them off... We don’t have the room to permanently segregate them until we get a new run built later this year.

In other news, what do you make of this odd behaviour: one of the newbies is very young, was still cheeping when we got her. When the others go for dust baths, she tries to climb on top of whoever is bathing. She’s also tried to get under the wing sometimes too. Is this what chicks would do with their mothers? It’s really funny to watch!!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 16th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    We had one of our newbies at the vet this week. Integrating the two newbies to our chunky chicken has not gone well! Chunk has taken a particular dislike to the older newbie, and gave her such a pecking on the head that the poor thing ended up with an enormous abscess that the vet had to drain.

In other news, what do you make of this odd behaviour: one of the newbies is very young, was still cheeping when we got her. When the others go for dust baths, she tries to climb on top of whoever is bathing. She’s also tried to get under the wing sometimes too. Is this what chicks would do with their mothers? It’s really funny to watch!!
    Originally posted by orangecrush
    Such a shame you have encountered problems introducing 2 new hens to Chunk (naughty Chunk). It looks as though Chunk wants too have the very tiny hen to herself and doesn't want the other hen that she came with around her. So she is pecking her to keep her away from the very tiny one hence the constant bullying/pecking at her head. Poor little hen how is she now? Are the antibiotics kicking in well/abscess healing ok?. I'm sure this will settle over time as it normally does when they learn to tolerate each other. Thankfully I have not had this happen with introducing new hens. I'm wondering if it was because as you say one of the introduced hens was so very tiny, who knows? Difficult to pin point why really this has happen to the degree it has.

With regards to the very tiny hen sitting on and under the wing of others. I think because she is very tiny she is maybe looking at them as her mother or something. Mother hens always tuck their young underneath them or under their wings for warmth. She should stop doing this as she gets older.

Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know. It should all settle down with them.

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 16-10-2017 at 4:06 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 16th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Orangecrush, I hope your newbie is doing okay now. Speaking of newbies, how do others quarantine new hens for introducing to the flock?

If I'm honest I never have previously, however one was an emergency rescue and the others came from a trusted supplier. I've been looking at taking on more hens and have found some locally but from a person rather than supplier and I'm cautious as I don't have a 2nd coop to quarantine in.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    Orangecrush, I hope your newbie is doing okay now. Speaking of newbies, how do others quarantine new hens for introducing to the flock?

If I'm honest I never have previously, however one was an emergency rescue and the others came from a trusted supplier. I've been looking at taking on more hens and have found some locally but from a person rather than supplier and I'm cautious as I don't have a 2nd coop to quarantine in.
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Hi nice to see a new face on here.

With regards to introducing new hens it is often recommended that you keep them separate from your others for a while. This is so they can get used to each other before they are actually all put together.

We have introduced new hens by keeping them in our duck run for a while. That way they can meet each other through the chicken wire fence without having a go at each other physically. But, this method is not available for everyone if they don't have a sectioned off area to put them.

We have also introduced a single hen straight away by putting her on the hens perches when they all go to bed. That way they have the chance to snuggle up together for the first night. She came out in the morning with the others and we kept a very close eye on them for the first few days and she was fine.

We have also and very bravely might I add introduced 15 rehomed hens with our existing 11 ex batt hens and there were quiet a few feathers flying around and some pecking going on for about a week or so. But, it soon settled down with no injuries, thank fully.

So in all honestly I personally don't think there is a right or wrong way to introduce them. Some say keep separate and some say put them together and they will soon sort themselves out. But, as you have obviously read they can and will hurt each other until the pecking order has been reached. The thing is we can't be there every minute of the day to supervise them can we?. We definitely had to take the chance with introducing the rehomed 15 hens but we were here with them all day but not every minute.

If you have any more questions please feel free to just ask. We are a friendly bunch on here. We a happy for you to join in if you have the time to post about your hens and their antics

Hope that helps.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; Yesterday at 11:43 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 17th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Hi all
    With intergreting new hens, we’ve always put the new girls into the coop at night when the others were already in bed, like that they wake up together and think it’s always been like that. Never had a problem before but I think my girls are remarkably laid back and either don’t remember or don’t care
    x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • thehenfather
    • By thehenfather 17th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thehenfather
    Hi everyone wondering if you can offer any advice. I will be taking over a friends flock in a few weeks time. They have kindly offered all the equipment they have. However im looking at building a decent run and wondering if you can offer any advice experience on the matter?

Looking at 7 birds. Will be getting 2 coops and a smallish run. Already have a medium sized coop and a medium run. Thinking of doing away with most of the runs and having a large enclosure. Im just struggling with the structure. We have issues with rain so think it needs to be covered.

My initial ideas are a run of around 10ft x 8ft potentially going up to 12ft x 12 ft. Concretting in 6x 4"x4" fence posts to a height of about 6 foot. A pent roof covered in clear corrugated sheeting. About a 1ft baseboard going around the base to minimise freaking the dog out. In my head its fairly substantial and will last a few years at least. Theres going to be weak points like the wood sitting on grass but i dont think i have the time or money to sort this right now. Do things sound ok? I dont want to build it for it to blown down in the first wind. Some is ee seem incredibly over engineered others look like matchsticks.

Is there any other ideas? Got 7 birds to house, needs to be sheltered as the ground can get pretty boggy, im budget and time restricted, DIY or off the shelf options considered. Thank you for taking the time to read.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone wondering if you can offer any advice.
    Originally posted by thehenfather
    Hi and welcome to our hen friendly thread

Size wise I personally think you have good sizes in your head for a start. Height wise if you can I would try and go slightly bigger. From what I understand you can get 4 x 4 fence posts in 2 or 3 metre lengths off the shelf. If you were to get the 3 metre lengths say you have 2ft in the ground that will leave you with more height room although you probably wont need that much so just cut a little off the fence posts. Just enough to stand in there yourself and not walk around bent over. Because I can assure you trying to clean/rake their run out permanently bent over would not be very comfortable at all. My advice would be to make the standing height ample to stand up in with a few inches to spare.

Always with hens you need to think about their safety when it comes to foxes/badgers etc. So for us as we back on to woodland we cemented out chicken wire in to the ground all the way round their hotel and their coop. Although we may get a fox in our garden there is no way on this earth the fox will be able to dig under the fence and get to the girls whilst they are sleeping at night. So it is always an extra safety feature if you have the time/money to do this. We did this by fixing chicken wire all the way around the lower level leaving half of it in the ground and loaded with broken bricks on top. Then concrete was poured over the top of the bricks. Then later we added a higher layer of chicken wire and again until we got to a height we could walk under standing up obviously attaching this to the posts as we got higher. For the top we also covered that in chicken wire as foxes can and will climb in order to get in and will break through a plastic roof given the chance to do so. You could cover all the roof in chicken wire for their safety and then cover say half or three quarters in plastic roofing to shelter them and the ground. Hens love to sunbathe so I would leave an area not covered at the end except for the chicken wire of course so they can sunbathe. Hope I have not confused you with all of that.

With regards to DIY runs etc. The manufacturers never consider head height for us humans plus ease of cleaning/raking out that we need to do on a regular basis.

Hope that information is useful to you. Come back and ask any further questions no matter how small/silly they may seem. There is always someone on here that will be able to help as quite a few of us have a fair amount of experience behind us now.

Hope all goes well.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin