Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,653Posts
    • 11,709Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 60
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 30th Aug 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 6,310 Thanks
    ali-t
    massive drop for the numbers but we don't know how old some of ours are so some might be too young and some might be too old. 15 hens and usually 3 eggs but yesterday only 1! Lots of feathers lying around the runs in the enclosure so quite a bit of moulting going on.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • skipton
    • By skipton 30th Aug 17, 11:42 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    skipton
    Hi Everyone
    Not been on here for a long time. Sorry to hear about your losses.
    I now have only 7 girlies, a fox came and took one while they were out freeranging and I was in their pen on the other side of the fence! I get 2 to 5 eggs a day but there seem to be an increasing number of feathers around so the big moult seems to have started.

If anyone is interested this is a link to a lovely lady, Anna Breytenbach, who is able to communicate with animals. It's quite moving seeing her interact with them. I'm not having much luck with my girls so far but I keep trying.
    https://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/animal-communicator-anna-breytenbach/#comment-14778
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 31st Aug 17, 1:19 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 17,605 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    4 hens, who are all about 2-2 1/2 years old now, and for the past week 1 egg a day, had 2 days of nothing at all!

No moulting that I can see, no feathers dotted around. In fact they all look quite fluffy at the moment. I did wonder if they were getting too fat, but haven't changed their feedings, or levels of treats. Maybe I've slighted them in some small way and this is my payback?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • edwink
    • By edwink 31st Aug 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    4 hens, who are all about 2-2 1/2 years old now, and for the past week 1 egg a day, had 2 days of nothing at all!
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    NOTHING AT ALL OMG!!!!!

I actually think what you said about them in post #1179 is correct.
    They have definitely gone on strike

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 31-08-2017 at 7:58 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 11 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 31st Aug 17, 8:36 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 3,547 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Ours have dropped off a lot too.. I think we're battling a mite infestation
    We've sprayed, and powdered, so just waiting to see if that has any impact. Bless them, still as curious and friendly as ever, and they burst their way out of the run for their favourite dust bathing spots it's so lovely to see.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8789 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 31st Aug 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    Ours have dropped off a lot too.. I think we're battling a mite infestation
    We've sprayed, and powdered, so just waiting to see if that has any impact.
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    Don't forget to check under their perches once your girls have been in for the night for a while. You can do this by wiping a piece of dry kitchen towel along the underside of some of their perches and checking the paper towel to see if it is red. The mites feed off the girls blood during the night and then crawl back in to their hiding places especially under the perches until it is time to feed off of the girls again. Horrible little things they are!

I hope what you have done so far is working because they are blooming hard to get rid of as many of us on here know too well.

Let us know how you get on if you have time please.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 1st Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 17,605 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    DS has been desperate to make a cake, which requires 3 eggs. Poor kid has been waiting for days!

• StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 1st Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Thank you for the suggestion about Victoria plums, Edwink.
    It's on my list to order today so it will be ready to go in, in autumn.
    My three are back to being broody again, can't seem to snap out of it. The two are definitely broody, but the third one I think is just pretending to keep the other two company!
    At least it means the garden is getting a break from their relentless dust baths. They're extending their bathing areas into giant pools now, I cringe when they dig up the lawn, but i could watch them for hours! They are blissful in the sunshine
    xxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 1st Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    vjm63
    Mine are picking up a bit now, but were pretty lazy regarding laying throughout the summer - from 5 who should be laying, often only 1 or 2 eggs, and the most consistent layer was one girl who has been in perpetual moult since March! She is in charge, but her bald posterior is a site to behold!

Anyway, we have now had 2 eggs (28g and 37g) in last fortnight from the 4 Rhodebars (21 weeks old) so I hope they will get into the rhythm of it soon. Which leads me to ask - are other people's hens vocal when laying, or not?!

I ask because was sitting there this morning, knowing one of the Rhodebar girls was laying, and she was kicking six bells out of the bedding and nestbox, scratching loads, and doing a strange growling purr at times, Then just strolled out for water afterwards. Others just sit there totally zenned and quiet for ages after laying, or even when they have not laid an egg. I have also had a couple that get totally hysterical sometimes, rushing in and out of the coop and going around in circles in the run, back in to check nestbox is still there, back out again, and finally one girl could seemingly actually lay in less than three minutes at times!

Is it just me?
    • edwink
    • By edwink 3rd Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    Lost another rescue girl today Went up to tuck them in to bed tonight and found her in the doorway of their hotel Sad loosing two within 2 weeks

Off to change my signature again

Hope everyone and their hens are doing ok.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 3rd Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    So sorry Edwink.xxx
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 3rd Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 6,310 Thanks
    ali-t
    Sorry to hear this edwink. At least she had a good life with you. Xx

Ours are still here but strange behaviour from some of the newbies who don't want to sleep in the coops and root on top of them. I thought after a few weeks of being put in the coops at night they would do it themselves but we are having to put them in every night.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 3rd Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    So sorry Edwink.xxx
    Originally posted by StarShapedPeg
    Sorry to hear this edwink. At least she had a good life with you.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    Thank you both of you x x I do feel very sad about it tonight I really do. It does help though to be honest when I post about my loses on our thread.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 3rd Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Ali, I had the same problem a year ago with one of mine, they all used to go in together and I'd find her on top of the coop later on. It turns out she was being bullied by one of the girls, so my husband built a little divide between the roosts in the coop so they could both be sleeping on the same perch but not see each other. It seemed to work well for them.

The one that was sleeping on the top was the forth in a trio, so always got the raw end of every deal.

Could it be that they are being picked on?x
    • edwink
    • By edwink 3rd Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    Ours are still here but strange behaviour from some of the newbies who don't want to sleep in the coops and root on top of them. I thought after a few weeks of being put in the coops at night they would do it themselves but we are having to put them in every night.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    Yes that is very strange behaviour. I have never heard of hens doing that before. Normally after you have put them in once or maybe twice they know exactly where they are to sleep at night. Intelligent little things they are, well normally anyway.

As you say strange behaviour Not sure what you can do really except keep putting them in, in the hope they do it themselves eventually.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 5th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 17,605 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    2 egg day! FINALLY!

Still 2 of them are freeloading clearly but at least there's some eggs in the house now.

• edwink
    • By edwink 8th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    What a blooming miserable day my girls are having here today. Lots of places for them to shelter from the rain and wind but I can't help feel sorry for them when they huddle together under a bush tying to keep warm.

Just cooking them a pot of wholewheat spaghetti so that should get them running about in all different directions with their pieces dangling from their beaks.

How is everyone else getting on?

*CAFCGirl*... any more eggs yet ? Enough to bake that cake I hope!

*Ali-t*... that strange behaviour still going on?

*vjm63*... in answer to your question on vocal laying some of mine have been exactly the same. One hen we lost last year was the noisiest layer ever we could actually hear her from the house and it would go on for ages and ages. Our beautiful Cockerel used to shoot up the garden so fast to their hotel to check to see if she was ok. It was so funny watching him with his big feet running up there, bless him. We still get the odd noisy layer but nothing like from that noisiest hen.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 08-09-2017 at 1:50 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 9th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 17,605 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    The cake was finally made, and eaten.
    The egg basket looks very forlorn indoors though with two eggs in it. Im used to it being stacked 2 layers of eggs

Had 2 yesterday but nothing the day before. Their run has become increasingly muddy so this weekend I think I'll be donning my wellies and 'going in'. I'll replace the flooring and give it a good shovelling. I think now is the time for a cover or some sort over it too for a little bit of rain protection.

• laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 9th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi

I am really enjoying reading everyones comments We are new to keeping chickens and have 4. Two point of lay (hei hei and Esther) and two ex bat (Glenda and mable) .

I will subscribe once I get to a PC- always looking for goof tips for myl girls
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 11,709 Thanks
    edwink
    The cake was finally made, and eaten.
    The egg basket looks very forlorn indoors though with two eggs in it. Im used to it being stacked 2 layers of eggs
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Yay!! Glad the cake was finally made. But, eaten already? Obviously cakes don't last long in your house.

Hi
    I am really enjoying reading everyones comments We are new to keeping chickens and have 4. Two point of lay (hei hei and Esther) and two ex bat (Glenda and mable). I will subscribe once I get to a PC- always looking for goof tips for myl girls
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    Hi laurenh1

Lovely to have a new friendly hen keeper on our thread. The more the merrier I say .

Love the names you have for your girls.

Any questions you have just ask away as there will always be someone on here that will help you cos we are a friendly bunch .

Look forward to hearing about the antics your girls get up to .

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 09-09-2017 at 1:17 PM. Reason: Spacing

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin