Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,581Posts
    • 11,532Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 56
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 11,532 Thanks
    edwink
    Dust baths can be the size of craters once they find a spot hens do like a social bath, with all bundled in together if they can . My garden used to be on different levels till the hens moved in, now I have terraces . They aren't too happy ATM as their spot that's seen them through since winter has been fenced off for re seeding, so their new to them area is now causing a fence to collapse where they have dug so deep

I don't think anyone can appreciate how much space hens need and how much destruction they do to a garden until they get them.
    Originally posted by Cupcake Returns
    Nice to have a new face to our hen thread, welcome.

Talking about craters I have two huge ones in my garden you can literately get 4 to 6 hens in at any one time. They have been flicking soil everywhere this past couple of days. The area where my hens dig is shaded by bushes and an apple tree so nice cool soil under there for them. They have also been digging and bathing area in the soil by a fence in our garden so I actually had to fill it back in and place a brick there because in a day or so they were nearly in to our next door neighbours garden. Aww bless them!!

Agree about the destruction of ones garden. In the end with our garden we fenced the section off by our house with netting so we could have a piece to ourselves without the poo, discarded feathers and anything else they care to leave behind. We have a cottage style garden whereby the plants die off over the Winter and reshoot again in the Spring. So we allow our hens and ducks in to our garden too during the Winter and I am not joking but they can all demolish a 25ft x 15ft lawn in one week. Then it is a mud bath for the rest of the winter until it reshoots again. Then in Spring we have to add some new grass seed to the areas that have been scratched to bits.

Oh the joys of owning hens Not to mention the fresh eggs that are bright orange just like the sun. Who could ask for more? I adore my hens, absolutely adore them.

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 16 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Nice to have a new face to our hen thread, welcome.

Talking about craters I have two huge ones in my garden you can literately get 4 to 6 hens in at any one time. They have been flicking soil everywhere this past couple of days. The area where my hens dig is shaded by bushes and an apple tree so nice cool soil under there for them. They have also been digging and bathing area in the soil by a fence in our garden so I actually had to fill it back in and place a brick there because in a day or so they were nearly in to our next door neighbours garden. Aww bless them!!

Agree about the destruction of ones garden. In the end with our garden we fenced the section off by our house with netting so we could have a piece to ourselves without the poo, discarded feathers and anything else they care to leave behind. We have a cottage style garden whereby the plants die off over the Winter and reshoot again in the Spring. So we allow our hens and ducks in to our garden too during the Winter and I am not joking but they can all demolish a 25ft x 15ft lawn in one week. Then it is a mud bath for the rest of the winter until it reshoots again. Then in Spring we have to add some new grass seed to the areas that have been scratched to bits.

Oh the joys of owning hens Not to mention the fresh eggs that are bright orange just like the sun. Who could ask for more? I adore my hens, absolutely adore them.

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    No one who doesn't keep hens can understand how bloody dirty they are

I thought once the dog died my house would be spotless. Not a mission Now is coated with shavings,straw and poop

We spend a fortune on chicken wire as they dig deeper and deeper. Luckily our neighbour keeps hens so is understanding when he finds half of ours in with his. But the rear of our land looks like steptoes yard with ad hoc fencing

And lawn No such luck. Between the hens eating it and scratching it up and the amount of water used on it washing off poo for when the grandkids are here, it's kind of non existent

I love my girls, but at the same time they are a tie. No lie ins as they want out at dawn. No late home in the evenings as they need a head count, perched ( if they don't know how) and locked in. Weekends are spent cleaning them out, taking the waste to the dump and trips to the timber yard for shavings to keep their run clean and free of mud.

And of course there's the infliction that is known as chicken math. Start of thinking 4 is more then enough, then deciding how little garden one actually needs as more and more gets taken oven by the ever increasing flock
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 22,354 Posts
    • 85,447 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Posted this on another section but was re-directed here:

Any advice?
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    I'm really pleased you took mine - now you're in though, you'll never leeaavvee [goes into terrible air guitar solo]. I haven't been around chickens for years, but I still lurk [hi guys ] just to hear the tales of how these stupid, clever, near psychopathic little dinosaurs drive their staff to distraction. Not enough about cats being bullied relentlessly by them, in my opinion, though. Or how, if you get the right accommodation and you have time to waste, if you stay there for long enough you can catch an egg as it's laid and gently squeeze and it'll harden with your finger marks in them. Or how you'll find yourself able to tell from the racket they make whether it's a egg the size of a Tyrannosaur's, a visiting animal or they're just hot, tired, bored and grumpy. Whilst you are still in the kitchen trying to have a cuppa undisturbed.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 20th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Jojo, the grandkids love to catch a new egg and put nail designs on them

As for the poor cat, well he knows to just sit back when they barge in the back door to raid his bowl

As for the noise generated when a egg is laid, well you would think the noisier they are the larger the egg yes? Not one girl of mine. Omg she was going potty 'Buck Buck bucking ' at the top of her voice for about 30 mins after laying so I went and checked, and thought a sparrow could have laid bigger
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 22,354 Posts
    • 85,447 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Jojo, the grandkids love to catch a new egg and put nail designs on them

As for the poor cat, well he knows to just sit back when they barge in the back door to raid his bowl

As for the noise generated when a egg is laid, well you would think the noisier they are the larger the egg yes? Not one girl of mine. Omg she was going potty 'Buck Buck bucking ' at the top of her voice for about 30 mins after laying so I went and checked, and thought a sparrow could have laid bigger
    Originally posted by Cupcake Returns
    Yes. Buck-buck-buck-buckbuckbuckBWAAAARKBWAAAAARKBWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Most Rhodies - something the size of a Goose Egg. One, something the size of a marble.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 21st Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    It's my Rhodies that have slowed down laying, one is 3.5, the other 2 are 2.5. Such beautiful birds
    I've a couple of leghorns, really lovely birds but very skittish a couple of bluebells, lovely grey/blue and first in the line for anything The amber stars are the boldest, soon as the back door is ajar, in the kitchen they are, eating the cat food. Just got some daisybells, they are just maturing. Very friendly and amazing colours. The green that highlights the black is just an amazing jade, but then there's purple in them as well. And lastly, my fav, a single Sussex. Lays the most lovely eggs. And looks like how a chicken should look iykwim . I'm waiting for a couple more as they are very popular and the fella I buy from just can't keep up with demand. He owes us a few as we hatched a couple of brahamas last year who turned into really good specimens and gave them to him for showing and breeding from.

I'm thinking of building up the flock next year but in order to do so will need to use the front garden. It's all grass and trees ATM so plenty of space. Not sure what the neighbours will think though...........
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 21st Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 22,354 Posts
    • 85,447 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I had to explain to the OH why so many chickens are called Elvis today.

Don't ask how we got onto this subject.

For a country lad, he's a bit vague sometimes.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

6,438Users online

Martin's Twitter