Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,584Posts
    • 11,544Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 55
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Having some concerns about on of the ladies. She's hiding in the coop again. Similar to what she did when she was being pecked by the others but they appear to just be leaving her alone. She's on the roost bar and not nestling in the nest box so I don't think she's gone broody. I've been taking her some water and food in there. She seems 'well' no marks, injuries, etc, vent all clean, she's just staying in.... I'm not sure if I should turf her out and shut the coop up to encourage her out or what?
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    How is the situation with your little hen now? Any change? It is really difficult to know what to suggest to be honest. If you get her out and stop her from getting back in she could well get picked on again. On the other hand if she stays in even with a little food and water she will become weak.

I would be inclined to get her out but keep a very close eye on her to see how the others react. There may be a bit of pecking initially but that could only be temporary when she is first back out.

What is happening at the moment with her? I do hope she is ok!!

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 29-05-2017 at 8:57 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 15 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 30th May 17, 7:55 AM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 17,527 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thankyou EdWink.
    I did turf her out into their run, but mainly so I could poo pick. She did get a little harshness from one of the others, and tried running off scared. So I left her to it for that day and took her food and water in there.

Next day I kept the sliding door closed an opened the main side door, so 3 jumped out from there and she was mostly sitting in the doorway watching (but at least was getting some sunlight). She came down a few times, and rushed out when I gave them some corn late afternoon (which was mostly to see if I could entice her out), and she came and drank and ate. She's also done the same this morning.

They'll all be turfed out into the main garden later as I need to deep clean their run and their coop and I'm hoping with the increased space and shenanigans to get up to they'll leave her alone.

So with any luck, its improving. Not sure if the glorious hot weather we've had has made them a bit poor tempered and grouchy - I know it has me LOL

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • edwink
    • By edwink 4th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

Sad news here because we lost one of our little rescue girls yesterday. She had been quiet for while which normally happens when they are on their last days. Bless her.

Most of my rescue girls are of the same age so I could lose a few of them this year . They normally live around 18 months to 2 years after rescue as a rule. The last lot we took in was in March 2016 and we still have some left that we took in the year before. We have only one purchased hen left now and she is coming up to 6 years old. We have both said next time we decide to get some more we will buy some and then after that have some more ex batt girls. Even after all these years we still find the loss of any of them really hard but as friends have said to us we must look back at the lovely free range life we have given them in their retirement. Still hard though. Just me being a big softie really.

How is everyone else been getting on and their girls and boys too? Lots of lovely eggs now the sun is shining? A few of mine are moulting so we are getting around 10 eggs a day from our hens and around 4 eggs a day from the 5 laying ducks. I just wish the ducks would lay their eggs in their hotel because it is like an Easter egg hunt here every day. Actually it is quite fun looking for them. We found 2 in between the two greenhouses yesterday. No idea how long they had been there. We often find one or two under a hedge we have at the top of our garden. Quite a lot actually are laid in our pond would you believe? When we cleaned it out last year we found 16 Aylesbury duck eggs at the bottom Have not cleaned out the pond yet this year because of my husbands accident to his arm/hand but he is now on the mend slowly so it will get done once he gets more movement in his hand. He is currently having intensive physio which is painful for him but it is helping him a lot. Bless him.

Catch up with you all soon

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 06-06-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 8th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 17,527 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Oh edwink - Im so sorry to hear of your loss.
    She had a wonderful life with you though and I'm sure her spirit will be ever thankful for the sunshine on her feathers and many days spent scratching in the dirt xx

• edwink
    • By edwink 8th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Oh edwink - Im so sorry to hear of your loss. She had a wonderful life with you though and I'm sure her spirit will be ever thankful for the sunshine on her feathers and many days spent scratching in the dirt xx
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Aww what a lovely thing to say, thank you for that. I'm really touched by that. Thank you again and have a (((HUG))) from me.

Weather not too good here today but at least the wind has died down. It has been so windy here so much so our Buddleia was blown down on to part of our growing potato bed. Was difficult cutting up the branches to get them off as I don't have a lot of strength in my back and my hubby is still recovering from his accident. But, we managed to clear it though thankfully. Now the only job we have to do is clear a big chunk of tree that came down from our neighbours narrowly missing our compost bins. Leaving that for another day as not it our way for the time being.

How is everyone else? What has been happening in your neck of the woods? Any new additions from anyone? Oh and don't mention eggs to me as we are having them eaten every day, not all of them but at least three or four. Trouble is it is difficult to know who it is because when we go to collect them the 2 hens are still in there munching on them. They shoot out as soon as they see us but we can't tell them apart from the others. I walk around the garden saying "and who's been eating my eggs" but none of them own up or mores to the point have no idea what I am going on about.

Take care all.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 08-06-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 8th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    ali-t
    We have red mite again. So not content with a fox getting most of the flock, the remaining 4 have been in an infested coop. The recent hot weather has led to an explosion of them. We have switched them to another coop and will aim to eradicate again. We have used the powder on the hens again too but it has been so rainy it won't have worked properly. Grrrrr, it never rains but it pours.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    We have red mite again. So not content with a fox getting most of the flock, the remaining 4 have been in an infested coop. The recent hot weather has led to an explosion of them. We have switched them to another coop and will aim to eradicate again. We have used the powder on the hens again too but it has been so rainy it won't have worked properly. Grrrrr, it never rains but it pours.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    Aww Ali-t poor you not again! Especially after having the problem with the fox too. You are not having a very good time of it are you? I really do feel for you, honest I do.

We had blooming Red Mite several years ago and they were an absolute menace to get rid of. We powdered and scrubbed the place down but couldn't get rid of them. Glad you have spotted it because hens can become very weak with a Red Mite infestation if not found early. The blighters hide under the hens perches and come out at night and feed on the hens blood. Horrible little things they are and so tiny too you can hardly see them. Glad you had another coop to use instead.

Please let us know how you are getting on. Have a cyber (((HUG))) from all of us one here.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 08-06-2017 at 9:57 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 9th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    vjm63
    Lovely to catch up on all the news - and I just thought I would let you know the latest shenanigans with us.

A couple of months ago we bought a couple of new young pullets because we'd had a run of losses - one of the girls just dropped dead one morning, one must have found and swallowed a piece of glass somehow or something sharp because she ended up coughing up blood... so I was feeling somewhat unhappy and worried as you can imagine when one of the remaining three went all droopy, not eating or drinking, tail down... ! So I persuaded OH we needed more to keep the what I thought would be remaining two company. Then the poorly one got better! I'd also already booked four new pullets (which we picked up age 10 weeks yesterday) so I now have nine - happy me!

But my girls just are not letting me relax - they had a couple of months barely laying recently for no apparent reason, one has a seemingly permanent semi-bald bum (but now she is laying well) and now the one that was poorly a couple of months back is laying shell-less eggs maybe every three to five days - which then get eaten!

Tell you one thing- these girls are wonderful, but sure keep you o your toes and worrying - it is as bad if not worse than children!
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 9th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    ali-t
    Thanks Edwink, we seem to have had a run of it lately but think it is all because we have got a bit lax. With the longer lighter nights and hot days they have spent less time in the coops so we didn't clean them out as frequently as they were barely in them. This in turn has meant the red mite has flourished so the big clean starts again this weekend. I am seriously thinking of binning the coop and buying a new one.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    A couple of months ago we bought a couple of new young pullets because we'd had a run of losses - one of the girls just dropped dead one morning, one must have found and swallowed a piece of glass somehow or something sharp because she ended up coughing up blood... so I was feeling somewhat unhappy and worried as you can imagine when one of the remaining three went all droopy, not eating or drinking, tail down... ! So I persuaded OH we needed more to keep the what I thought would be remaining two company. Then the poorly one got better! I'd also already booked four new pullets (which we picked up age 10 weeks yesterday) so I now have nine - happy me! But my girls just are not letting me relax - they had a couple of months barely laying recently for no apparent reason, one has a seemingly permanent semi-bald bum (but now she is laying well) and now the one that was poorly a couple of months back is laying shell-less eggs maybe every three to five days - which then get eaten!
    Originally posted by vjm63
    You've not had a very good time of it lately either. OMG what's happening? that's both you and Ali-t lately not having a lot of luck and having an extra work load with your girls.

The not laying recently for you was it because they were going through their moult maybe. We get a lot of bald bottoms around that time plus baldy other bits too and a few soft shelled eggs which also get eaten.

When you have any empty egg shells bake them up in your oven for a while and when very dry take them out and crush them up to add to your girls feed. We mix our crushed shells in to our girls pellets before feeding them so all of them get some extra calcium when they eat. The extra calcium will help avoid getting the soft shells.

Hope your new girls are settling in ok. You may get a bit of fighting initially but it always settles over time.

Keep us posted on what is happening.

Edwink x

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Thanks Edwink, we seem to have had a run of it lately but think it is all because we have got a bit lax. With the longer lighter nights and hot days they have spent less time in the coops so we didn't clean them out as frequently as they were barely in them. This in turn has meant the red mite has flourished so the big clean starts again this weekend. I am seriously thinking of binning the coop and buying a new one.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    Hi again ali-t

Hope your big clean is going ok for you. Not an easy job to do I know because we had to do it here with our Red Mite. Have to be honest and say we really struggled to get rid of the mite totally so got them a new recycled home to roost in at night and ended up burning the other one. To be honest though it was difficult for us to clean because the main door was so small my hubby struggled when cleaning it out. Our new one is so much better and has made life easier for us.

Don't beat yourself up about not cleaning them out so often because we do the same in the summer if we can. Especially because as you say they spend a lot less time in it because of the longer summer days. In the winter they are in it for hours so the mess definitely builds up more quickly then. All we do every day is clean the mess up from under their perches and add more shavings to their nesting box if needed and that's it until they actually need cleaning out thoroughly. We were cleaning them out weekly before the lighter evenings were here but not now.

If you are doing your deep clean today you probably have great weather for it. We have sun and blue sky here with only the odd cloud. Lots of sunbathing going on with my girls today. YAY!! I love seeing them flopped around the garden without a care in the world taking in the warmth. Bless them.
    Please let us know how you are getting on.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 09-06-2017 at 5:23 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 9th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    vjm63
    Thanks Edwink as ever for your sympathy - it does seem to go in phases with the girls being trying ...

I considered moulting for the bald one, but she has been like this for months - then again she does rather dance to her own music in life - her first proper moult was last spring and lasted ages, and then she moulted again in the autumn properly with her same age sisters! She lays eggs that range from 65g to 73g too, and is so talkative - I get a running commentary on life from her sometimes, and when I call them back to the run in the evening she will come in her own sweet time, after that worm she just found has been eaten....

The shell-less layer is also a character, who lives on her nerves a bit - she will sprint across the lawn for no apparent reason, then sprint back to her sisters - maybe just checking the coop was still there ... strange girl. The final older lass I have is the strong silent type - not slow at providing the judicious peck when little ones need to get out of her way, or sit as long as she wants in the coop after laying.

Then the two middle aged ones (not yet laying) are different again - Brownie the Welsummer is fairly zen like unless she is having a spat with her peer Speckles - who is my leggy supermodel who grumbles at anything I do and then jumps or stretches up really high for grass seeds - she is a white Sussex. Finally I have the four newbie Rhodebars, who have not shown their characters yet - and currently are separated in a different run because they are only about 10 weeks old. I must admit I am looking forward to training them to the treats tub so I can have all nine out on the lawn roaming - nothing like a bunch of chickens hurtling towards you to make you feel wanted!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jun 17, 5:37 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Thanks Edwink as ever for your sympathy - it does seem to go in phases with the girls being trying ... I considered moulting for the bald one, but she has been like this for months - then again she does rather dance to her own music in life - her first proper moult was last spring and lasted ages, and then she moulted again in the autumn properly with her same age sisters! She lays eggs that range from 65g to 73g too, and is so talkative - I get a running commentary on life from her sometimes, and when I call them back to the run in the evening she will come in her own sweet time, after that worm she just found has been eaten....

The shell-less layer is also a character, who lives on her nerves a bit - she will sprint across the lawn for no apparent reason, then sprint back to her sisters - maybe just checking the coop was still there ... strange girl. The final older lass I have is the strong silent type - not slow at providing the judicious peck when little ones need to get out of her way, or sit as long as she wants in the coop after laying.

Then the two middle aged ones (not yet laying) are different again - Brownie the Welsummer is fairly zen like unless she is having a spat with her peer Speckles - who is my leggy supermodel who grumbles at anything I do and then jumps or stretches up really high for grass seeds - she is a white Sussex. Finally I have the four newbie Rhodebars, who have not shown their characters yet - and currently are separated in a different run because they are only about 10 weeks old. I must admit I am looking forward to training them to the treats tub so I can have all nine out on the lawn roaming - nothing like a bunch of chickens hurtling towards you to make you feel wanted!
    Originally posted by vjm63
    Absolutely loved reading your post. Great descriptions of all your girls especially the leggy supermodel one. What characters you have at home with you. Good luck with the four new Rhodebars and don't forget to come back with your character descriptions of them when they have settled in nicely.

One of my hens was a real character. She was a very skittish White Star and I remember still the day we collected her along with 7 others. I picked her up and she flapped her wings and tried to bite me. Boy did she give me a nip on my arm I still remember it all from all those years ago. After she did that to me I said to my husband ok this one is called Asbo and the name stuck. She was very nervous hen and skittish all her life but I could completely calm her down when she was dust bathing. I would sit with her and slowly cover her in soil so only her head was visible. She would close her eyes whilst I massaged her back with my fingers and as soon as I stopped she would open them again and just stare at me until I started to massage her again. She would sit like that for ages bless her. She is no longer with us but I adored that little hen.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 10-06-2017 at 5:39 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 18th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    Lost one of our little rehomed hens yesterday. Like they normally do she was quiet for a couple of days so I brought her indoors and she went to hen heaven during the night. I have so many old girls now so I do think our loss will be a little high this year. As ex-batts only live for around 18mths to 2 years after rescue to be honest they are all doing well and I really make sure they are enjoying their retirement with us. Treat, treats and more treats!!

Boy has it been hot today and I have to say I am not liking it one bit. I don't tolerate the heat very well these days . Our hens were sunbathing all over the garden today. A couple of times we thought a couple of them had fainted as they just flopped on the path but on closer inspection they were laying there with their wings and legs spread out taking in the warmth of the sun. My god they do worry me sometimes when they do that.

How is everyone else and their feathered friends. Too hot or enjoying it???

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 18-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 18th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    ali-t
    Ours are loving it. Very glad to be out the rain finally.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 17,527 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I don't think mine know what to do with themselves or all this sunlight.
    Theres been lots of groove digging and lounging. I've made them an ice treat following something I saw on Pinterest. Hope it works LOL

• anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 19th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Posted this on another section but was re-directed here:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I'm in a position to buy some chickens.

I've been looking at this coop: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141975960306
    They do a 4 nest version (£200) and a 6 nest version (£240).

I haven't got money to waste as I'm looking at spending a good bit of money on a shed, but I don't know what size I should go for. I'm thinking the 6, although we'd only start off with three chickens. I don't know if we'd ever have more but I don't want to get the 4 nest version, then decide in a few years time that I should have got the 6 nest one. Maybe we would only ever have four at one time.

So does anyone have any advice on which I should get?
    I'm not asking for someone to predict the future, just any advice on what you have/had or mistakes you would have changed if you'd known.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

One reply person said they started with 4, then sold the eggs and now have a small flock.

I can't imagine us selling the eggs (although I would be open to it, just don't know how to start), but we may get another couple of chickens.

The way I see it is that if I got the 6-berth coop, we'd be running at 50% from the off.

Any advice?
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    It's not a small flock, it's just 13 ATM Eggs are sold from the doorstep, an honesty box system . As I said on the other thread, hens don't lay forever, I have seniors who rarely lay now but will be with me for a few more years before they fall of their perch

As before that coop is not fit for purpose. They are very badly designed. 3 hens only need one nest box, what they do need is space to move around in, and perching space. Where are your hens going to be comfortable in wet windy weather or snow? That little run area will be stripped of grass in just a couple of days and be covered in poo. They can also dig out under and vermin and foxes can dig in

Bored stressed hens peck each other and can do a lot of damage. It's not for clothing caged hens have their beaks clipped . They also need space to move away from each other. The pecking order can result in one hen bearing the brunt, hens are quite brutal

As previously said, a shed or play house is the better option and a self build run, making sure the chicken wire is well buried in. You will need some shade for them as well, they don't do well in the heat and prefer to dig out a dust bath it lie in

Gumtree and free cycle are places to look for sheds. They are usually offered for free if you go and dismantle. Only yesterday one was being off loaded at my recycling centre
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    edwink
    So I'm in a position to buy some chickens. I've been looking at this coop: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141975960306
    They do a 4 nest version (£200) and a 6 nest version (£240).

I haven't got money to waste as I'm looking at spending a good bit of money on a shed, but I don't know what size I should go for. I'm thinking the 6, although we'd only start off with three chickens. I don't know if we'd ever have more but I don't want to get the 4 nest version, then decide in a few years time that I should have got the 6 nest one. Maybe we would only ever have four at one time.

So does anyone have any advice on which I should get?
    I'm not asking for someone to predict the future, just any advice on what you have/had or mistakes you would have changed if you'd known.
    I can't imagine us selling the eggs (although I would be open to it, just don't know how to start)
    The way I see it is that if I got the 6-berth coop, we'd be running at 50% from the off. Any advice?
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    Hi and welcome to our hen friendly thread.

We started of with 12 hens and always said we would keep around that number. Then guess what? we got some more and then some more. We ended up with 26 hens and 7 ducks at one time. They really do grow on you honest they do.

I really think that if you have the space a small shed with a run would be much better. All you would need to do is install some perches inside and attach a nesting box. The beauty of a shed is that you can stand up in it to clean it out. Alternatively, go for a much bigger hut and attached run. Whatever you do please give them as much space a possible.

If you had a coop such as the one in your link you would have to think about moving it around your garden as the ground will become extremely baron in no time. Hens like to make themselves sometimes deep dust baths so can you imagine having one or two dusting holes made in a coop of that size plus a food bowl and water all in that space not forgetting the hens too. It really wouldn't leave much room for them to walk about freely at all and if that becomes the case they will fight and start picking on each other.

Whatever you decide to do you should seriously think about your new hens safety by way of securing the boundary of the coop to stop foxes and rodents burrowing underneath the wire.

Also another thing to factor in is the ease of cleaning their coop and hut out. If you need to scrape and clean the ground where are your hens going to go whilst you do this? The side door of the coop in your link is a great size for access for humans to go in and clean it out but I can just see the hens escaping when I look at the picture of the coop itself.

If you get a surplus of eggs you could always think about selling them to friends or neighbours and put the money towards the hens feed, bedding or vets bills. All of those do not come cheap. One of our neighbours often gives us sweetcorn, greens and grapes so we happily give her a box of eggs as a thank you.

I think one thing to remember the smaller the space you are going to give them could mean more than once a week cleaning. Do you have the time to clean them out twice a week if their coop is small?

If you go down the route of buying a small shed and adding a chicken wire run you should seriously think about burrowing the chicken wire in to the ground as deep as you can dig. We actually cemented our chicken wire in the ground as we back on to a common and were very fearful of the foxes up there.

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 19-06-2017 at 8:31 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Dust baths can be the size of craters once they find a spot hens do like a social bath, with all bundled in together if they can . My garden used to be on different levels till the hens moved in, now I have terraces . They aren't too happy ATM as their spot that's seen them through since winter has been fenced off for re seeding, so their new to them area is now causing a fence to collapse where they have dug so deep

I don't think anyone can appreciate how much space hens need and how much destruction they do to a garden until they get them. I never understand how these plastic igloo thingies have taken off, I feel so sorry for the hens, reminds me of caged hens

I love my girls. Yes I'm running out of room yet I want more. I love how they escape over the fields and can be seen walking in line up the lane for a little adventure yet come running back the minute I whistle. I love how the minute I turn my back they have snuck in the house and finished to cat food for him and cleaned my floor of crumbs

What I hate is keeping the water unfrozen in the winter, having to clean them out every few days because they won't go out. Having to treat them for lice and mites. Wash pooey bums when one gets an upset tum. Sitting up all night when one is on its way out, not being able to help an egg bound hen. Finding out all the eggs hatched are cockerals and having to dispatch them

Sounds like I hate the wee critters, I don't, I get a lot of joy and pleasure from them. Only I went into keeping them with eyes wide shut. They are wide open now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,155Posts Today

7,729Users online

Martin's Twitter