Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,602Posts
    • 11,595Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 52
    • edwink
    • By edwink 18th Feb 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Latest Update on the Avian Flu
    Avian Flu confirmed at a farm near Redgrave in Suffolk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/controls-for-avian-influenza-introduced-around-site-in-suffolk

My girls are thoroughly bored but I am doing my best to keep them amused. I filled their hanging basket with broccoli today instead of greens to give them a bit of variety. I also sieved the soil mix in the hens dust bath today and they thought that was quite amusing. They kept running under the sieve and picking bits up. They stopped dust bathing in there as the soil was clumping together because of the damp weather. As soon as I left the coop 3 of them jumped in to it so I was pleased about that.

I am more concerned about my ducks than the hens to be honest. Not much I can do to keep them amused. They have a big container in their run full of fresh water which is changed every day but only a couple of them will bother to have a splash about in it. I have to put the others in there and make them stay for a few minutes and keep covering them with the water. At least when I do that they have a good old preen so that keeps them occupied for a bit.

How is everyone else and their feathered friends?

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 18-02-2017 at 8:51 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 14 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Feb 17, 7:44 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 17,555 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Mine have been fighting
    Well I think one of them is bullying the others. Broken wing feathers, spots of blood, lots of smaller feathers littering the run floor.
    Is it boredom that causes that? Any suggestions?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Feb 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Mine have been fighting
    Well I think one of them is bullying the others. Broken wing feathers, spots of blood, lots of smaller feathers littering the run floor.
    Is it boredom that causes that? Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Hi

You will always get one who is top hen in the bunch. I would say yes they are probably bored. Have you tried hanging corn on the cob from their run roof or broccoli, cabbage or bits of cauliflower. Another thing you can do is get a small empty water bottle and drill holes in it. Fill it half full with dried corn seeds so it rattles. Put in on the run floor and when you do shake it a little until some of the corn comes out so they get the idea there is something nice in there for them. Having a top hen I would put several of these bottles in there so top hen gets one and the others can play with the other one.

Hard to know what to suggest besides the above without knowing what your run is like. Can you explain what is like and I might have some other ideas for you. If yours has a low roof it might be difficult to hang things from it for example so could you give me some idea of size/height, just roughly will do?

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 17,555 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thanks Edwink

They have an old walk in polytunnel which is about 2 m wide, by 3m long, which then has an extra 1m section connection to their coop whch has a 'mini run' underneath is.
    The polytunnel is half height so about 1m high and the extra section is about 70cm high.
    They had a whole cabbage to play with yesterday and apples on garlands the day before. The worst of it seemed to happen same day as the apples. I put 4 in so everyone had one.

Theyve been having pellets and then corn and greens later in the day. Theres also a peck block in there with them but they dont seem too concerned by that. Theres hanging CD's too. Maybe tonight I need to go in there and shift everything about to new positions. They have my sons old garden table and bench to perch on/investigate from higher. They had a whole bag of straw tipped in to claw about in too about a week ago.....

My poor little Nugget and Dipper look like they've been beaten up. Stew seems to have escaped (and is the bigger of all of them) and just potters about all day.... Naughty Chicken Pie!

• edwink
    • By edwink 20th Feb 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Thanks Edwink They have an old walk in polytunnel which is about 2 m wide, by 3m long, which then has an extra 1m section connection to their coop whch has a 'mini run' underneath is.
    The polytunnel is half height so about 1m high and the extra section is about 70cm high.
    They had a whole cabbage to play with yesterday and apples on garlands the day before. The worst of it seemed to happen same day as the apples. I put 4 in so everyone had one.
    Theyve been having pellets and then corn and greens later in the day. Theres also a peck block in there with them but they dont seem too concerned by that. Theres hanging CD's too. Maybe tonight I need to go in there and shift everything about to new positions. They have my sons old garden table and bench to perch on/investigate from higher. They had a whole bag of straw tipped in to claw about in too about a week ago.....
    My poor little Nugget and Dipper look like they've been beaten up. Stew seems to have escaped (and is the bigger of all of them) and just potters about all day.... Naughty Chicken Pie!
    Maybe some hanging corn on the cob might help and hanging greens. Just make sure they are hung in different areas of the coop. Also small water bottles with holes drilled in with dried corn in them, that could add interest for them maybe. I know my girls love them as I am constantly filling theirs up again

Your coop size is plenty big enough for 4 of them. Maybe no more apples for them if that is causing them to fight. If their fighting is trying to establish a new pecking order it will settle down.

Please let us know how it is all going. Fingers crossed changing it all around will do the trick.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 20-02-2017 at 9:51 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 21st Feb 17, 8:07 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 17,555 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Oh I dont think it was the apples that caused it. Just that I noticed the damage to 2 of them on the same day I'd put the apples in, but I'm pretty sure it was there before the apples went in.

• edwink
    • By edwink 21st Feb 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Latest I have seen on the Avian Flu. Mainly talking about large scale farmers labelling their eggs as free-range or not etc. etc.

I am a little confused about my ducks and their pond not being fenced after reading this. The article mentions that ponds should be fenced once ducks are allowed out but there is no mention of back garden ducks in this article only commercial. I know some of you have ducks so does anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39037406

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • rhosynbach
    • By rhosynbach 21st Feb 17, 7:47 PM
    • 7,296 Posts
    • 113,680 Thanks
    rhosynbach
    sorry to sound daft but do we have different rules in England and Wales then, as that seems really daft that we have to keep them in but over the border can go out from 28th feb we also have forms to fill in . the information being put out is not actually very clear.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 21st Feb 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    sorry to sound daft but do we have different rules in England and Wales then, as that seems really daft that we have to keep them in but over the border can go out from 28th feb we also have forms to fill in . the information being put out is not actually very clear.
    Originally posted by rhosynbach

I agree it is not all that clear! I checked on the map from the link I posted in post 1021. From the top of the page to the 3rd paragraph down there is an interactive map which is highlighted that you can use to check to see what is happening where you live. From what I can see not all of wales has the ban extended all though I could be wrong as the map is a little difficult to follow if you don't know the area you are looking at. The same goes for England with its many areas which have an extended ban.

Others were chatting on this thread the other day about the boundary in their area being a river and those on one side the free-range ban ends on 28th Feb and those on the other side of the river still have to keep their poultry in.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 22-02-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 22nd Feb 17, 8:33 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 277,935 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I need hen help please

One of my girls was acting weird this evening. Very sluggish and not interested in corn. She laid an egg in the run, stood up and kind of barked. She then ran into the corner and the others were pecking at her back end. She was bleeding. I quickly separated her from the rest of them and she went into the nest box. I shut it all up while I sorted out the broody cage and a box, I was gone for no more than 10 minutes. I went in to get her and shed laid a soft egg. Two eggs within 15 minutes!

I brought her home and cleaned her up and she's sleeping at the mo. I can't tell whether she's prolapsed or not.

Have any of you had anything like this before?
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 22nd Feb 17, 8:48 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Hi Dizzy
    Had something very similar, my little bantam was acting very strange, this was about a year ago, tired and disinterested and refusing to move off her perch. I popped her in a dry box when I realised she was leaking from her bottom, within an hour she'd laid two soft shelled eggs and was back on her feet within a couple of hours. I gave her some heat when she was sleeping just to do something to be honest, pretty sure it didn't make any difference though. Thankfully she was fine.
    My first thought that she'd prolapsed though.
    I hope your girl gets better. x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • edwink
    • By edwink 23rd Feb 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Dizzy

I have only just seen your post. Poor you and how worrying it must have been for you last night. How is your hen today? Hopefully as StarShapedPeg has said it is the same problem she had with one of her hens and her hen was fine within a couple of hours after it happened. It must have been such a relief to hear that within 15 minutes from another hen keeper on our thread. Well done for posting so quickly StarShapedPeg
    Please let us know how she is getting on when you get a minute.

Big (((HUG)))

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 23-02-2017 at 7:19 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 23rd Feb 17, 9:29 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 277,935 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Thank you both!

She's doing a lot better - when I got home at 6ish tonight she was actually sitting down, something that I'd not seen her do all of last night she's much perkier and more verbal than last night too lol. We gave her a warm bath earlier so I could clean her undercarriage. She enjoyed that hugely

I still can't make up my mind if she's prolapsed or not it looks sticky out but she's completely bald around her bum so it would stick out anyway. The top half of it looks very bruised. We are keeping her here tonight then taking her back to the others in the morning, where she'll stay in her cage for another day or so until we are happy that all is gonna be ok. We are keeping her off the layers pellets so that she doesn't lay an egg and end up back at square one.

Fingers crossed!
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

• vjm63
    • By vjm63 24th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    vjm63
    Hi All,

I just thought I'd share a bit of happy after the wind, rain, avian flu etc that have cause mayhem lately! When I woke up it was sunny, so I decided to put down some wood sh where the girls like to shelter on sunny days - there were already dustbath indentations there. This is the result - a group of very happy girls who couldn't care tuppence I was within a few feet of them taking photos! Normally they would be heckling me for attention when I was that close!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 28th Feb 17, 7:24 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 17,555 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Today is the day!!!

• edwink
    • By edwink 28th Feb 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Today is the day!!!

Ready steady GO!!!!!!!!!

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 6th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

How are you all? and your hens & ducks too!!

Mine are allowed out now but we are still being extra careful with their feed etc. Normally leave the ducks bowl out for them with food in but it is now in the feed store during the day so the wild birds can not help themselves like they used to here. Also making sure that the hens troughs are empty in the mornings before I let them out to free range because some of the robins here have been known to nip in the coop and help themselves. (that reminds me I have a lovely photo of a robin standing in one of the hens feeding troughs which I took last summer. Will hopefully find it and post on here later)

It's difficult really isn't it because there are wild birds everywhere flying over the tops of gardens. I'm being extra careful not to encourage them to fly down and pick up some feed.

Hope everyone and their feathered friends are doing ok.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 06-03-2017 at 8:51 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 16th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 17,555 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Mine have all successfully learnt how to dust bathe now and have been enjoying this week of sunshine.

Production wise we've levelled out at 3 a day it seems, although we did get another 4/4 day! Theyre also getting bigger eggs now too. Finally got round to getting their ankle rings on now. Even though I can 9/10 tell whose who, it helps my son and husband.

Another positive is I tried my hand at sprouting some mung beans for them - beansprouts for everyone!

• edwink
    • By edwink 18th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    edwink
    I took this photo of this little Robin helping himself to our hens feed last summer. Cheeky little thing...

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 19th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 277,935 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I'm sorry ladies, I'm full of doom this afternoon

We lost one of our girls today

She was fine this morning. Went with the others and had a ramble around outside. I took a few pics of them all enjoying their freedom

We popped round at lunchtime to see one of the other allotmenteers and thought we'd check for more eggs and she was on her back in the little run, flapping. We thought initially that she was having a dustbath but quickly realised that she wasn't I picked her up and she died in my arms

It's taken two years less a week fir us to lose our first little lady

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

9,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin