Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,462Posts
    • 11,096Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 29-09-2015 at 5:31 PM.
Page 45
    • edwink
    • By edwink 16th Sep 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Lovely to have found this thread! From a newbie chicken and duck owner. We inherited them with the house we have just bought! I have 3 call ducks, 1 large white duck and 2 hens. No particularly good layers, 1 egg a day between all of them, no eggs now since 1st September, but I think it is because they are moulting like fury. I shall be on her with many novicey questions I'm sure
    Originally posted by suzialwaysbroke
    Hello suzialwaysbroke

Welcome to our very friendly hen, duck and geese thread. Please fire away with any questions no matter how silly you think they might be. Everyone on here is very helpful.

Your large white duck sounds like an "Aylesbury" duck to me. Do you know if it is male or female? If it has a bright orange beak and a curl on its tail feathers it would be a drake. Also it would have a "half a quack", in other words a very quiet quack. Do you know what breeds your hens are? If not what colour are they? We should be able to help you with that.

Moulting time is right upon us poultry keepers now especially as the weather warmed up for a while. Great for them as they will now grow a new winter coat which will keep them warm and comfy all winter.

Do you have any pictures you can post. Most on here love a picture or two.

Any idea how old they all are, roughly? Just to say don't worry if you get any funny shaped eggs as that happens to all of us. Just keep those for yourself that's what we do. Also don't worry about wrinkly eggs or ones with freckles on these come with old age of the hens. I personally love the wrinkly ones because it gives me the opportunity to draw a face on them and give them to someone as a quirky present. Often the wrinkles are only on one end so I make that the hair. Just a suggestion for a quirky birthday/Christmas present to someone if and when you get some of those. Although your hens may not be very old.

If your hens have rusty coloured feathers they could well be rescue hens. Normally Rhode Island Red Sussex Cross. Let us know what colour they are as that will help to identify the breed for you if you don't already know.

So glad you have decided to join us

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 16-09-2016 at 3:35 PM.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 16th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    I wanted to ask what is the best thing to treat/paint the coops with? Last year we used shed paint from wilko, but after loads of rain the coops always seem damp inside, even when they don't leak. Whatever I use they will have to go back in the same night. Thanks for any suggestions x
    Originally posted by jim-jim
    Hi

Can't really answer your question I'm afraid so I hope someone else will pop on here to give you a few ideas. I have had a quick look online and most poultry threads mention Cuprinol outdoor colour range. But, I myself would say that could be toxic to hens. I think some just like the outdoor quirky paint colours they have. We painted out hen hotel before our hens went in to the hotel they have now with a water based fence paint and 3 years down the line it has not washed off at all and has been great. I think we used a Ronseal paint from Wickes although I know other stores sell the same.

Edwink x
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Sep 16, 11:30 AM
    • 9,566 Posts
    • 21,345 Thanks
    suki1964
    Egg production is on the decline now the nights are drawing in and it's not getting light till 7 am I'm having to disappoint a lot of people who have been buying the surplus all summer. Mind the chicks are 13 weeks old now so it won't be long for them to start - if of course they are hens

Edwink, we have been inundated with double yolkers all year. During peak laying I was getting 4 a week. We even got 4 triple yolkers I won't expect them again. It's apparently not unusual for new layers to lay double and triples

Here's a picture

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 25th Sep 16, 10:58 PM
    • 9,566 Posts
    • 21,345 Thanks
    suki1964
    Sad times

My first egg bound hen

We noticed on Saturday she was hiding away in the nest box but didn't take much notice tbh

This morning oh woke me to say we had a poorly hen

Poor love was walking crouched and her rear was filthy

So I sat her in a warm bath and squirted olive oil up her vent Separated her and hoped all would be well. Whilst out, travelled to four towns to find Epsom salts.

Anyways home this evening. Another warm bath with the salts. Another squirt of oil up the vent and she's wrapped up lying under the rad in the kitchen with honey water and oiled food

She's drinking some if fed by a spoon but not eating

Vet opens tomorrow at 8.30 so will call then

I try to be 'hard' and think they are just hens, but I do love them to bits really

I'm sat here in the kitchen keeping her company till the morning

Fingers crossed xxx
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 26th Sep 16, 10:37 AM
    • 9,566 Posts
    • 21,345 Thanks
    suki1964
    Unfortunately she never made it

Her breathing became very laboured this morning around 8, was in the vets as soon as they opened, but as soon as he started to work on her, she threw up so we felt there was no point, it was going to be too traumatic for her, and she is now in chicken heaven

We done what we could for her and at least she didn't spend her last hours alone.

RIP Snowflake
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 26th Sep 16, 12:11 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    ali-t
    RIP snowflake, so sad when they go
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • oldandhappy
    • By oldandhappy 27th Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    oldandhappy
    Sorry to hear that....we lost one seems like a long time ago although the vet managed to remove the egg the chicken was too shocked I guess...nursed her through the night with food and water but she went also to chicken heaven before it got light.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    That is so sad Suki to have lost one of your girls. I am sure you helped her the best you could. Always a sad time loosing them. A (((HUG))) for you x
    Last edited by edwink; 29-09-2016 at 2:55 PM.
    • oldandhappy
    • By oldandhappy 30th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    oldandhappy
    Hi Edwink...Just to say our young Hens one is a cuckoo called cuckoo as well haha...she has always layed speckled eggs fro her first one...I noticed also that the young layers can lay some weired shapes and sizes and of course lots of double yokes.
    I miss our Call Ducks that are still in UK...and always surprised me that the boys where quiet quackers and the girls are so so loud quackers.....BW Dianne
    • edwink
    • By edwink 1st Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Edwink...Just to say our young Hens one is a cuckoo called cuckoo as well haha...she has always layed speckled eggs fro her first one...I noticed also that the young layers can lay some weired shapes and sizes and of course lots of double yokes.
    I miss our Call Ducks that are still in UK...and always surprised me that the boys where quiet quackers and the girls are so so loud quackers.....BW Dianne
    Originally posted by oldandhappy
    Hi oldandhappy

Is that cuckoo as in Cockerel ? Must tell you a story of what happened to us here many years ago. We decided to get some more hens but we wanted to buy some which were all different colours so we could name them easier. So off we went to buy them and on our return named them all. Although we love having the ex batts it was lovely to be able to give the new 6 hens names. A couple of months later we were sitting indoors and all of a sudden heard "C0ck a doodle doo". We listened and yup we heard it again. Went up the garden to see which one of the new ones it was and found it was the ginger and white one. So ok we though we now have a Cockerel.

A couple of weeks later the same happened again but this time it sounded slightly different. My husband said it looked as if we had another Cockerel. So up the garden we went again and waited to see which one it was and yup we had two Cockerels now.

Now this may seem as if I am making this up but hand on heart this is very real and certainly did happen to us. Several days later there was a lot of C0ck a doodle dooing going on up the garden but this time we were working on the veg beds up there. We then realised that the extra c0ck a doodle doo was coming from a third Cockerel. OMG we thought. Two of them had already started to fight over the past week and now we had a third one.

Thankfully we rehomed one with my brother and the other two went back to where we bought them from originally. They were rehomed from their place. So all was good!

We were new living here then and didn't know any of the neighbours so didn't want to chance our luck with having a Cockerel so felt we should rehome them all at that particular time. Many years later and getting to know the neighbours well we did a friend a favour and rehomed a cockerel for her. We checked with our neighbours first and all were fine about it. He is a really good boy and to be honest rarely makes any noise. Love him to bits x

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 01-10-2016 at 10:11 AM.
    • oldandhappy
    • By oldandhappy 4th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    oldandhappy
    Thats a great story and glad they all ended up in a home even if not yours..... We only ever had a cockerel once and it did not work out at all but he started off ok very timid and funny with his bowing down to the girls he would half lay on the floor looking so downtrodden..but he turned into a very demanding so and so...he turned on us also and he was like an actor...he had to go elsewhere and his next home he was ok with two other hens...maybe the ducks set him off...dont really know but he upset the hens and us within two weeks...Cuckoo is a speckled girl and gorgeous..Chickpea is black Madge is White and Henryetta is grey and large and 100% the boss! BW Dianne
    • edwink
    • By edwink 11th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Hope everyone is ok and their hens, ducks and geese too.

We now have a drop in eggs because of the colder weather. The hens have just started to grow new feathers for the colder months. I always worry more about my ex batts when the weather gets cold especially during the real cold months of January and February. I have a couple of hens, not ex batts, that are 5 years old now and they have definitely slowed down this year. Fingers and toes crossed they all fair ok this winter.

Been rather quiet on here lately. Hope everyone of you are still enjoying keeping hens, ducks and geese.

Let me know how you all are if you get a minute. Always love to hear from you all and hear your stories of your brood.

Take care all.

Edwink x
    • edwink
    • By edwink 24th Oct 16, 11:55 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

My girls are slowing down a bit now on the egg laying front now the weather is getting colder. Quite a few of them are moulting ready to grow new thicker feathers to keep them warm.

One of my girls accidently landed in the pond today. She saw me and flew over to see me but her landing was a bit shorter than she thought so she got very wet. I took her indoors and wrapped her in a towel to get the worst of the water off of her then sat her in front of the stove so she could get herself dry again. I gave her some food to munch on while she was warming herself and she appeared to have got over the initial shock of the cold pond water. We put her back outside with the others once she was dry. Bless her!! I don't think she will be flying over the pond to come and see me again. Lesson learnt I hope.

I hope everyone and their feathered friends are all doing ok. Let me know how you are all getting on when you get the time. I know how busy it can be when keeping poultry.

Take care all

Edwink x
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 27th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    vjm63
    Hi all,

Love reading all the stories, even if I do not add to them much! One that might bring a wry smile of understanding though: I've been letting my girls into the veg patch for the last month as things in there are going over. Normally they are in a fairly large run, but they love the extra freedom. First they discovered that there were not just worms etc, but a few late raspberries - happy chucks! Then they soon realised the sweetcorn was there - and within a week we were hardpressed to find an untouched cob for ourselves! I had planted a lot, so did not mind, and it was great to see the corn tops shaking on a no-wind day , and think - 'ah, there they are ...'

Now the corn is over and pulled up, to their mild confusion because they still head over there just in case, they have discovered my wild grape vine on a fence. The grapes are small and pippy, but apparently that does not matter. Seeing simultaneous jumping from chickens is hilarious, and they love exploring the ground beneath! Yesterday, however, Dodo excelled herself - she jumped and flapped just enough to get a good three foot up and land on a stem! Puzzled teetering, and then trying to pick grapes, before she eventually came down ... Crazy girls!

Anyway, I have a question. I am shortly to get three more girls, so what is the best way of integrating them? Same breed, and they would not be far off POL, so a similar size. I have a new temporary coop and feeders on order, plus we can block off part of the existing run they have so it can be two runs and they can see each other through the wire. I had thought to keep them separate for two or three days, then let them join together and see ho it goes - is that best? My current girls are my first hens, so I have never done this before - so any advice and things that have worked for you are appreciated!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 28th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Anyway, I have a question. I am shortly to get three more girls, so what is the best way of integrating them? Same breed, and they would not be far off POL, so a similar size. I have a new temporary coop and feeders on order, plus we can block off part of the existing run they have so it can be two runs and they can see each other through the wire. I had thought to keep them separate for two or three days, then let them join together and see ho it goes - is that best? My current girls are my first hens, so I have never done this before - so any advice and things that have worked for you are appreciated!
    Originally posted by vjm63

Hi vjm

I would do exactly as you are thinking of doing. That should work a treat. I have done the same every time I have introduced extras to my brood. So yes that will be fine.

The only thing you will find is that they will have a bit of a spat between each other through the wire which is a natural thing for them to do as will need to find the new pecking order between them.

When you let them all out together you will have a few fights on your hands. but, it often looks worse than it actually is because of a few feathers flying about. I stay with mine for an hour or so just to make sure things don't get out of hand and get too vicious. Then you can basically leave them to it. They will have a few scraps but it will normally be between the bosses of each lot. The pecking order is normally established quite quickly over a couple of days so just keep an extra eye on them during this time. It will all settle fairly quickly.

Basically the above is the worst that can happen sometimes it goes much smoother than that. As I have said I have introduced many more to my brood over the years and mostly it has been a little pecking, a few feathers missing and bullying then things settle.

We have found that now having a Cockerel has made adding more so much easier because he sorts the fighting out and tells them off. Bless him he is such a good boy.

Hope that is of some help to you. Just don't worry too much, most of it is just nature as hard for you as it might look at the time. They always, always settle and things will be back to normal in no time.

Hopefully others will come along and offer some advice too. But, lately the thread has been really quiet. Half term with children doesn't leave much time for some of the mothers to post. Plus others being away on holiday etc..

Take care and please let me and others know how you get on with them all.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 28-10-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 29th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    ali-t
    It has been all quiet on the hen front here. They are just clucking along nicely. Egg numbers are dropping with winter coming but all good. Hope its the same contentedness for everyone else.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • Better Days
    • By Better Days 3rd Nov 16, 3:17 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 12,508 Thanks
    Better Days
    All quiet here too. Getting 3/5 eggs most days. My neighbour sells the spare ones for me and then we make a donation to the BHWT.

Hermione is still a bit of a bully, but there is plenty of space for the other hens to get away from her. OH cleaned out their coop yesterday so they have nice fresh shavings now.

Local tree surgeon popped round with a load of wood chip last month so they have lots to scratch in now which they love. Also stops the run turning into the Somme when it is wet.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Nov 16, 4:07 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    edwink
    Local tree surgeon popped round with a load of wood chip last month so they have lots to scratch in now which they love. Also stops the run turning into the Somme when it is wet.
    Originally posted by Better Days

Great idea Betterdays. Our run was laid with stones years ago but now there is not a stone in site because they have all been buried. It gets so wet in there that my husband turns over the soil from time to time to help it drain. It is a nuisance when it keeps raining because it gets so soggy. Their run is quite big so that would be a lot of chippings just to cover the wet soil for us. We are unsure what to do for the best to be honest. Still thinking on it though. They are out and about in the garden all day so their feet stay dry thankfully.

Nice to see you posting as the thread has been so quiet lately. I was missing everyone and their stories of their feathered friends etc.

Take care

Edwink x
    • Better Days
    • By Better Days 8th Nov 16, 5:56 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 12,508 Thanks
    Better Days
    The wood chippings are just waste product as far as the tree surgeon is concerned edwink and I've found that a 'back of the truck' full goes a long way. Hens currently on a couple of inches of woodchip. Maybe worth exploring with local tree surgeons, they may drop of a load every time they go past yours until you have a enough. Really does help with the soggy ground.

The tree surgeon here lets me have the chippings for free, very moneysaving Just costs Mr BD's effort to barrow it round to the run.

Hens are doing well atm and don't to have been unduly concerned by the few fireworks last weekend.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Nov 16, 9:02 PM
    • 9,566 Posts
    • 21,345 Thanks
    suki1964
    We use wood chips as well

Unfortunately it's not free, but seeing as you have to take your own bags to the lumber yard and fill them yourself, it's not too dear

We fill a ton bag for a tenner. Lasts around 4 months before needing a top up
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter