Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 28th Aug 14, 9:49 AM
    • 2,702Posts
    • 1,032Thanks
    Ypaymore
    18185/1899/18866 no longer offer calls to 03 numbers.
    • 28th Aug 14, 9:49 AM
    18185/1899/18866 no longer offer calls to 03 numbers. 28th Aug 14 at 9:49 AM
    Just been testing them out and you get announcement saying they no longer offer calls to 03 numbers. This is now confirmed on there site.
Page 14
    • jimbo49
    • By jimbo49 17th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jimbo49
    using 18185 with Three mobile
    sorry if asking this here is not the correct place but here goes.

i have used 18185 for quite a long time on my landline and when i registered, added my mobile number too. i am with Three on PAYG and cant use 18185. is it because of being on PAYG, or being with Three or am i not dialing correctly? i want to call the USA, so do i dial 18185 001 then the rest of the number or do i dial something different?
    • TCA
    • By TCA 17th May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    TCA
    You need to use their freephone access number for mobile phones 0808 1 703 703 or local rate number 020 81 80 2828:

http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    • jimbo49
    • By jimbo49 17th May 17, 10:11 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jimbo49
    Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?
    many tnx for the info. i guessed i was doing something wrong but wasn't sure what
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 18th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 37,791 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I've been using this service for some years and find it fine.
    Sometimes I know it isn't connecting correctly because it tells me the wrong price!-e.g I know that calls to mobiles in Eire are 11pence per minute not 1 pence. Equally if it says 'There is no answer' after a couple of rings I just cut off and dial later.
    It has saved me a fortune dialling overseas numbers rather than use Talktalk.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • mama5405
    • By mama5405 9th Aug 17, 8:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mama5405
    Got my bill today, first bill for some time as I used TalkTalk for years, 18185 invoice says total £1.16 which is correct.

It also says at the bottom of the invoice: advertised tariffs include VAT.

My bill is for £1.79 + VAT 0.36 =£2.15

I don't understand why the amount difference and why they are adding vat to my bill. There doesn't seem to be a way of contacting customer services, so I will give them one more month and is the difference persists I will find another company.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 9th Aug 17, 10:19 PM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 5,194 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Got my bill today, first bill for some time as I used TalkTalk for years, 18185 invoice says total £1.16 which is correct.

I don't understand why the amount difference and why they are adding vat to my bill. There doesn't seem to be a way of contacting customer services, so I will give them one more month and is the difference persists I will find another company.
    Originally posted by mama5405
    Home telephone service is subject to VAT at 20%. All phone companies add this to your bill.

18185 don't invoice under a certain sum. You may have had previous calls that have accumulated and have just been included.
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery." Mr Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 11th Aug 17, 12:31 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    SpanishBlue

Their advertised rates already include VAT. They just show it separately on your bill.

Eg if your bill was for £1.20 they would show it as £1.00 + VAT = £1.20
    • mama5405
    • By mama5405 14th Aug 17, 7:39 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mama5405
    18185 don't invoice under a certain sum. You may have had previous calls that have accumulated and have just been included.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Thanks for your reply. Yes that is a possibility, in that case they should have made it clear.

As far as VAT goes, I am probably being thick, but when I call Italy it says 2p a minute, that is the advertised rate, so 36 minutes is: 36x2+4p= 76p, so far so good........, why add the VAT on top of that?
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Aug 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    UK and EU law requires prices to be shown including VAT.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 17th Aug 17, 12:06 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Thanks for your reply. Yes that is a possibility, in that case they should have made it clear.

As far as VAT goes, I am probably being thick, but when I call Italy it says 2p a minute, that is the advertised rate, so 36 minutes is: 36x2+4p= 76p, so far so good........, why add the VAT on top of that?
    As I stated above VAT is not added to that, it's already included.

An advertised rate of 2p per minute (which includes VAT) is actually about 1.7p per minute + VAT.
    • pgcemadness
    • By pgcemadness 8th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pgcemadness
    Catch 22 situation with 18185
    hi there
    I signed up to 18185 but have not been able to use the service as this pops up:
    Your 18185 account may possibly be blocked at the moment or in the near future, although you have paid all outstanding invoices related to this account.
    This is most likely caused by having another customer number with an outstanding amount.

Please ensure you pay the outstanding invoices for all your customer numbers to prevent your account(s) from being blocked (instructions how to pay can be found on the website by logging in with the respective customer number).

If you are certain you do not have any other customer numbers this may be a system fault; please contact customer services via the "contact us" option on the website and mention reference 'code 5'.

I have emailed numerous times and even managed to speak to a human but there has been no satisfactory response.
    When I try to unsubscribe the same message pops up, so I can neither use or unsubscribe from 18185.

Anyone else had this problem and did they resolve it? I am 100 per cent sure I have no debts with them or other companies.... Thanks.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 8th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    Is it possible that a previous owner of your telephone number had an account with them?
    • pgcemadness
    • By pgcemadness 11th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pgcemadness
    very possibly but not at all clear and no-one at 18185 is able to answer in any sensible way. The latest is that I insisted that the man on the end of the phone, who always claims that he cannot do anything, spoke to someone who agreed to call me on my mobile as a high priority. That was last Wednesday. I am still waiting...I just want to use their service!
    • Humdinger1
    • By Humdinger1 11th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Humdinger1
    Hi PGCE I had one day of successful calls with them (maybe 30 numbers in Ireland as part of a due diligence process) and every time afterwards I tried to dial I got a message implying that I'd somehow broken their ts and cs. Paid in full by direct debit so no money outstanding.

No explanation ever given and having scoured their ts and cs, I couldn't see where I'd gone wrong. Have you tried 123.co.uk as I've used them ever since and have never had a problem. I may be wrong but get the impression that 18185 is way out of its depth and can't really offer the service it claims. Good luck Humdinger
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 12th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Despite still advertising 1P a minute for UK calls on their website WHEN USING THE 0808 number, they are now charging 2P a minute plus the 4p connection charge.

It wasn't that long ago they charged 5P a call. Time to look for a cheaper alternative perhaps?
    • TCA
    • By TCA 12th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    TCA
    Despite still advertising 1P a minute for UK calls on their website WHEN USING THE 0808 number, they are now charging 2P a minute plus the 4p connection charge.

It wasn't that long ago they charged 5P a call. Time to look for a cheaper alternative perhaps?
    Originally posted by SpanishBlue
    I called a landline from my mobile yesterday using the 0808 number. The call lasted 53 seconds and was charged at 5p. i.e. 4p connection plus 1p per minute.

If you use the 0808 number from a landline I think you're charged 1.5p per minute plus a 5p connection charge.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 20th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just made a 30 minute call to Sky using 18185 from a landline - charged 49p which equates to 1.5p/minute plus 4p connection charge ?
    Also no cost message when the call connects.
    • TCA
    • By TCA 20th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    TCA
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Within your online account, in the telephone numbers section, you can tick a box to switch the message on and off for each of your phone numbers.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 20th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    polymaff
    I find that - perhaps when the called party answers immediately - you don't hear the initial message, even if it is enabled.

Anyone else ?
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 20th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Just made a 30 minute call to Sky using 18185 from a landline - charged 49p which equates to 1.5p/minute plus 4p connection charge ?
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Yesterday they finally updated their website (so have 1899).

If you use the 18185 prefix you are charged 1.5ppm

Use the 0808 number it's 2ppm (up from 1ppm)

In both cases you are charged a connection fee of 4p, not the advertised 5p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,986Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin