Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 20
    • newtonflotman
    • By newtonflotman 24th Oct 17, 11:53 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    newtonflotman
    Avoid this company! I've been with Origin for over two years now. I've actually previously recommended them on here. Now though they have had an 'upgrade' to their network. Routers have needed to be reset and they are using different servers. Whereas always had 63mb no dropouts, no get loads of dropouts and very slow speeds much of day. Max speed since setting change 52mb but regularly 10mb or less. Check their Facebook page, Twitter and Trustpilot it's a major issue. They've also started billing me monthly even though I've paid two years upfront. Plus today received bill for £402 for a months internet and a new line!!!!!! Incompetent is an understatement.

I know they used to use Plusnet Business broadband to bounce off, I have read on the internet they have changed over to Talk Talk to bounce off from. This has given them so much hassle they can't cope.
    Last edited by newtonflotman; 24-10-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    • ochiba
    • By ochiba 25th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ochiba
    Origin tried to force me to upgrade to fibre!
    I've experienced Origin customer service problems, billing errors, bogus charges for mid month activation, etc, since switching to Origin standard broadband and line rental, 12 months up front payment for £154.99 offer on 25.07.17. But Origin have stooped to a new low.

On the 25.09.17 Origin Broadband emailed a service update notification. On 29.09.17 I would lose my broadband connection and I would need to enter a new PPP username and password on my router to re-connect to their broadband network.

I noticed a significant drop in broadband speed (from a steady 17 mbps to less than 8 mbps) on 30.09.17, the day after making the changes to my router setup.

I monitored my broadband speeds over the next week and found that the broadband download speed was not too bad during the day (10 to 15 mbps) but it suddenly drops to 1.9 mbps between 7pm and 12pm every night, with a ping rate of 102ms. I notified Origin Broadband of the sudden loss of broadband speed in writing via their website Customer Portal "contact us” on 06.10.17. To date they have still not responded.

I phoned Origin Broadband 09.10.17 and spoke to their Tech Support. They went through the usual phone socket checks, then said that I should be getting a better speed and that there was a more direct broadband network connection to my house. They said they would adjusted the network connection and would call back in 2 days.

I monitored the broadband speed and found that I was still getting this sudden drop in ping time, broadband download and upload speeds between those very specific times.

Origin Broadband Tech Support phoned a couple of days later and said they had noted the sudden drop in service and they they wanted to try something else and would call me back the next day.

Three days later Tech Support called me. She didn’t tell me what she had tried to do to improve the broadband service. Instead she said that there was nothing they could do to improve it and that the nightly drop in speed was due to "network traffic during peak times". She then tried to pressure me to upgrading my broadband service to fibre at £25.99 per month.

I explained that I have had a consistently good broadband speed of 17 mbps at all times of the day and night for the last 10 years and that the nightly drop in broadband speed only started after the Origin Broadband router service update. She replied that she couldn’t comment on previous supplier’s broadband speeds (which was actually Origin's own download speed for the last month!) and again tried to force me to upgrade my broadband service. I was subjected to 20 minutes hard selling. I kept refusing to upgrade and eventually she told me she would pass me to a more senior member of their Tech Support. She told me I was the next in the queue and then I was left waiting on a silent phone line for 20 minutes.

The next person I spoke to introduced himself as a Second Line Tech Support. He agreed that the broadband speed problem sounded like a network issue and agreed that the sudden loss of broadband speed after the router changes was significant. He told me that the previous person I spoke to was First Line Tech Support. He said he would investigate and call back in 2 days. Needless to say I have not heard from him again.

The day after I refused to upgrade to Origin Fibre, my broadband download speed miraculously improved to a steady 13 mbps with a ping rate of 20ms regardless of the time of day!

Is anybody else being subjected to this hard sell?
    Ochiba
    • ochiba
    • By ochiba 25th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ochiba
    Origin Broadband tried to force me to upgrade to fibre
    I've experienced all the usual Origin Broadband customer service problems, ie billing errors, bogus charges for mid month activation, etc, since switching to Origin standard broadband and line rental package, 12 months up front payment for £154.99 offer, on 25.07.17 via MSE. But Origin Broadband have stooped to a new low.

On the 25.09.17 Origin Broadband emailed a service update notification. On 29.09.17 I would lose my broadband connection and I would need to enter a new PPP username and password on my router to re-connect to their broadband network.

I noticed a significant drop in broadband speed (from a steady 17 mbps to less than 8 mbps) on 30.09.17, the day after making the changes to my router setup.

I monitored my broadband speeds over the next week and found that the broadband download speed was not too bad during the day (10 to 15 mbps) but it suddenly drops to 1.9 mbps between 7pm and 12pm every night, with a ping rate of 102ms. I notified Origin Broadband of the sudden loss of broadband speed in writing via their website Customer Portal "contact us” on 06.10.17. To date they have still not responded.

I phoned Origin Broadband 09.10.17 and spoke to their Tech Support. They went through the usual phone socket checks, then said that I should be getting a better speed and that there was a more direct broadband network connection to my house. They said they would adjusted the network connection and would call back in 2 days.

I monitored the broadband speed and found that I was still getting this sudden drop in ping time, broadband download and upload speeds between those very specific times.

Origin Broadband Tech Support phoned a couple of days later and said they had noted the sudden drop in service and they they wanted to try something else and would call me back the next day.

Three days later Tech Support called me. She didn’t tell me what she had tried to do to improve the broadband service. Instead she said that there was nothing they could do to improve it and that the nightly drop in speed was due to "network traffic during peak times". She then tried to pressure me to upgrading my broadband service to fibre at £25.99 per month.

I explained that I have had a consistently good broadband speed of 17 mbps at all times of the day and night for the last 10 years and that the nightly drop in broadband speed only started after the Origin Broadband router service update. She replied that she couldn’t comment on previous supplier’s broadband speeds (which was actually Origin's own download speed for the last month!) and again tried to force me to upgrade my broadband service. I was subjected to 20 minutes hard selling. I kept refusing to upgrade and eventually she told me she would pass me to a more senior member of their Tech Support. She told me I was the next in the queue and then I was left waiting on a silent phone line for 20 minutes.

The next person I spoke to introduced himself as a Second Line Tech Support. He agreed that the broadband speed problem sounded like a network issue and agreed that the sudden loss of broadband speed after the router changes was significant. He told me that the previous person I spoke to was First Line Tech Support. He said he would investigate and call back in 2 days. Needless to say I have not heard from him again.

The day after I refused to upgrade to Origin Fibre, my broadband download speed miraculously improved to a steady 13 mbps with a ping rate of 20ms regardless of the time of day!

Is anybody else being subjected to this hard sell?
    Ochiba
    • newtonflotman
    • By newtonflotman 25th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    newtonflotman
    2ND line tech have never got back to me. I'm on 76mb fibre, always had a steady 63mb before setting change. Now I get high pings in evenings and dropouts, 1.8mb last night often below 40mb and now never above 53mb. Look at their facebook page everyone is in the same boat. Being on their highest package no hard sell to me but they just don't seem to care.
    • Orbitolina
    • By Orbitolina 5th Nov 17, 5:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Orbitolina
    1 yr broadband and landline, easy to cancel
    My current broadband and landline contract with Origin runs out in January and I'll need to look for something new in due time. There are a few things to consider:

- I need a landline as it's otherwise too expensive for my dad to phone me (he doesn't live in the UK and is too old to consider other options)
    - I'm currently applying for other work, but success might still be far away in my industry. Still I need to consider terminating my contract earlier. I know I have to pay for the rest of the contract but I don't want to end up with additional high costs. I read the other day that BT charges you for terminating earlier
    - happy with Origin? Hmm.. my connection is pretty poor at times, but I suppose every provider using the same infrastructure has the same issue in this building.
    - cashback would be nice, but most cashback deals seem to contain tv, mobile and other stuff I don't need. I really only need internet that is somewhat reliable and a landline.

What else to take into account? Can I tell a provider I want a new contract to start at a certain date and that internet is live then? I cannot affort not having internet at home for a while until the new contract goes live. So how do I do this?

Thanks a lot
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Nov 17, 8:25 AM
    • 9,972 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Termination is the months left on contract .
    New contract you choose new ISP and they do all the work .Service usually ends and taken over the same day .
    • Orbitolina
    • By Orbitolina 6th Nov 17, 9:36 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Orbitolina
    Great, thanks a lot. I never had to renew internet services as I move around quite a bit.

Right, so how do I find out easily which providers are cheap to cancel before a contract runs out?
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 6th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    artyclarty
    I am pretty sure that your contract is not ending in January, just that you are reaching your minimum term. You continue to be supplied your services until you give your notice and should be able to cancel with one months notice at any point when you need to move again.

There is no point in starting a new contract, that would most likely be a waste of money in your situation.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    wongataa
    Great, thanks a lot. I never had to renew internet services as I move around quite a bit.

Right, so how do I find out easily which providers are cheap to cancel before a contract runs out?
    Originally posted by Orbitolina
    Every supplier will charge you at least the monthly cost multiplied by the unused months in the minimum term if you cancel before the minimum term is up. Therefore the cheapest will be the one with the lowest monthly cost.
    • Orbitolina
    • By Orbitolina 6th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Orbitolina
    Yes, I know. And that is right and just of course. But I heard from some people that some providers charge extra on top of that to cancel a contract early, to disconnect you, for the router, and all other sorts of things. This seems to be the case with BT anyway. I'm not sure about others.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 9,972 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You should go back to these some people and ask them to clarify .
    If you cancel a first contract within the 12 month period its normal for an ISP to ask you to pay for any equipment provided .After twelve months its generally classed as yours .
    Though some ISPs may have different terms and only loan equipment .
    As said start from the beginning choose your supplier and check terms and conditions .
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 6th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi Newton,

If you need any help, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • draig34
    • By draig34 8th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    draig34
    Origin Broadband saga
    Without broadband for 3 weeks after empty promises of delivery, then they sent the wrong router, then send new router with only a street name as the address so took days of phone calls to track all this down.

They have compensated a months fee.

They promised to check the line and then call back but never called back etc etc

I will definitely be moving to another provider next year.
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 9th Nov 17, 1:09 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you have any outstanding issues, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Robisere
    Broadband: £140 for a year.
    Origin:

http://www.techradar.com/news/our-exclusive-broadband-deal-ends-on-thursday-only-140-for-one-year?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campa ign=19933&utm_term=9778888&utm_content=356237

Don't have any idea what they are like in terms of service or reliability, so maybe best to trawl the forum and check other reviews.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 29th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 7,476 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Origin:

http://www.techradar.com/news/our-exclusive-broadband-deal-ends-on-thursday-only-140-for-one-year?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campa ign=19933&utm_term=9778888&utm_content=356237

Don't have any idea what they are like in terms of service or reliability, so maybe best to trawl the forum and check other reviews.
    Originally posted by Robisere

After 70.00 cashback via TCB and 50.00 reward card Sky equates to 9.66 per month - 115.95 per year including one off costs.

After 110 cashback via Quidco Talk Talk Fast Broadband equates to 117.40 per year = 9.78 per month

In other news this is what search facility threw up

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5278762&page=20&highlight=originb roadband
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 29-11-2017 at 6:11 PM.
    Often what I dont say is more significant than what i do say ........
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,105 Thanks
    teddysmum
    After 70.00 cashback via TCB and 50.00 reward card Sky equates to 9.66 per month - 115.95 per year including one off costs.

After 110 cashback via Quidco Talk Talk Fast Broadband equates to 117.40 per year = 9.78 per month

In other news this is what search facility threw up

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5278762&page=20&highlight=originb roadband
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan

I don't know about the particular case of Sky, but you cannot always take money from TCB and the retailer.

When I went to PlusNet I had to choose between PlusNet's cheque or the TCB pay and took the former as it was more.

Often the TCB conditions for an offer say they do not apply if a voucher is involved. I bought a laptop from Medion and this item was reduced for a week, if you used a code specifically for the model bought ,which was on Medion's website. This meant that they reduced to pay TSB who refused to pay me.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 30th Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 7,476 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I don't know about the particular case of Sky, but you cannot always take money from TCB and the retailer.

When I went to PlusNet I had to choose between PlusNet's cheque or the TCB pay and took the former as it was more.

Often the TCB conditions for an offer say they do not apply if a voucher is involved. I bought a laptop from Medion and this item was reduced for a week, if you used a code specifically for the model bought ,which was on Medion's website. This meant that they reduced to pay TSB who refused to pay me.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I wouldnt have posted to say both incentives were available together if it wasnt the case, BT is the same cashback via cashback site plus a prepaid card via BT

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/sky-digital/

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/bt-total-broadband/
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 30-11-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    • Kurosh
    • By Kurosh 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kurosh
    Hello,

When I joined Origin Broadband I agreed to pay for 12 months up front, I paid this and since then it has been a dreadful experience whereby I regret that decision. If your customer records are maintained & up-to-date you should see that it took THREE ORDER attempts to migrate from my previous ISP (BT) to yourselves as your provisioning team messed up the order the first two times.

I then moved 8 months or so later, and I'm still without service , history is repeating itself. I was told today, the 5th of December would be my confirmed activation date. Due to my extremely low satisfaction and even lower levels of exception of the standard of service you offer, I thought to ring up the day before on the 4th December to merely 'double check' on you guys. I asked - as I haven't heard to the contrary - whether the line & broadband would be activated on the 5th as confirmed by text & email received previously, after an hour of being on the phone it was yet again confirmed that this order had failed and been forgotten about, it took me to chase things up to find out what was going on.

I then got texts & emails saying my router was on the way today (I already have a router and obviously it's useless if the line & broadband aren't active. I have now been told the 14th December is the new date, is it really this time? It literally is the 5th activation date I've received when the service should have only gone live twice, in my old house and now my new one, hence a 2 out of 5 success rate (40%). I literally don't have any trust in these communications from Origin, whether they be automated or from a human being on the end of the phone or social media.

I'm at the pathetic stage now of constantly ringing at my personal expense of time and money to chase Origin to keep updated on the slow, inefficient & unreliable service. My next port of call (and recommendation from Origin) is to ring up the day before again on the 13th December to double check on them.

How on earth is this acceptable or the norm if you take a quick glance at social media comments and forums?

I want to know how and when this will be sorted with the up most expedience along with a what goodwill gesture will be offered to redeem this situation? It was mentioned that "perhaps a better wifi router" would be offered as I've paid up front already and credit is not applicable. Is this true or another lie?

Yours faithfully,

Kurosh Jadali
    • benjus
    • By benjus 7th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 5,021 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    benjus
    I got the Origin prepaid deal for a year. I lasted about 8 months before getting sick of the shoddy service, dropped connections, constantly having to reboot the router (and sometimes not even working after that). In the end I just walked away and joined EE, even though I had only used 8 of the 12 months I'd paid for (I managed to persuade EE to count the wasted 4 months or so as a cancellation charge, so they gave me £50 towards it). I've had EE for about 6 weeks now and it's been very reliable.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

4,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin