Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 19
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 29th Aug 17, 5:26 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there

Sorry about that, but this is the standard lead time for a response from that email address.

Kind regards,
    Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Bluenikky68
    • By Bluenikky68 29th Aug 17, 11:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Bluenikky68
    Seriously? Abysmal service provision, unbelievable call queues, ......
    ....... uninformed Customer Service, unknowledgable Tech Support and now a 'cheating' billing department.
    All topped off with a reply from origincomplaints@origin-broadband.co.uk advising 10-14 days for an initial response!

Take a wild guess who I've sadly landed my dear old Mother with for her new ISP, LOL!

"Thank you for your correspondence Re: Billing 'error' and service failures
    Origin Complaints
    Tue 29/08/2017, 22:32
    You;
    Thank you very much for getting in touch. Please accept this as confirmation that we have received your email.
    Please be assured one of our Resolution team members will send an initial response within 10-14 working days.
    Kind Regards,"

> 6 weeks from paying 12 month advance payment to activation
    > Sent an N14 router instead of N16 (which they apparently want back at end of contract anyway, cheeky b@$t@rds )
    > Incorrect password sent with router
    > PPP password provided was completely wrong
    > Hours (literally) on hold trying to resolve first password issue only to spend hours more resolving the second one
    > Night spent away from home waiting for a promised urgent call back to my Mum's place - that never happened
    > D/D Notice just received saying taking ~£10 for partial first month broadband payment. News to me that they did this, then I see they've updated the billing FAQ to say that they're doing me a favour by charging me for something I've already paid for!
    > 10-14 days for an initial response to complaint? Perhaps Origin should move the people that clearly don't manage the call queues to dealing with email complaints instead. By this, I mean the call-centre managers and supervisors, not the agents that have to take the flack for the company's failures.

Sorry Mum, my bad ! What I want to know though is what other octogenarians, that are IT illiterate do if they don't have a son who is tech savvy? Really, how do people cope with this? She couldn't get on her knees and swap out cables, access master/ test sockets, configure a router and would never be able to tell a Tech Support agent that they need to look elsewhere than user error, h/w error or line faults! All of which Origin tried on me!!

Back to "THEM" though - probably best avoided unless you're lucky enough to get a swift transfer, the right passwords and never have to contact them - Keep a very close eye on your bills though. God help them if I don't get my cashback!

...... and BREATHE
    They laugh because I'm different; I laugh because they're stupid!!
    • Gandru
    • By Gandru 1st Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gandru
    62 days since I paid for a year in advance ...
    01/07/17 Ordered a year in advance via MSE. Payment taken, order confirmed - all looking good.
    22/07/17 (approx) No progress on portal, email to chase.
    31/07/17 (approx) No progress on portal or reply to email, called to chase. Order 'rejected' without any communication to me or apparent attempts to retry. Informed order will be resubmitted.
    05/08/17 Text received: 'Your service is now up and running. Your hub has been pre-configured, and should work straight out of the box'.
    07/08/17 Email received: '... your order has been rejected however, it has been placed immediately and you should receive a live date within the next 4-7 working days via text message'.
    07/08/17 Replied to email seeking reassurance that (amongst other things) my year in advance would start from the date that the sevice goes live AND I have received the hub.
    14/08/17 No reply, no hub. Called customer services who spoke to a manager - no updates but will follow up; 'should have go-live date by the end of the week'.
    I informed them if there is no live date by then that I would request a refund and cancel the service I ordered 45 days ago.
    I am patient, but not a fool. I've bough a year in advance from various companies for several years, and never had any problems like this. As I'm out of the year contract with my current supplier it's costing me £25.45 month, obliterating the savings I make on paying in advance (eqivalent to £10.42/month).
    The representatives I've spoken to are apologetic but sound like they know nothing will be resolved, emails go unanswered. I've wasted so much time and energy on this.
    I'll send a copy of this to forum@origin-broadband.co.uk, to cover all the bases ...
    Originally posted by Gandru
    01/09/17 ... finally online. The router I was sent was not correctly configured and the login details were also wrong. I had to burn an hour of mobile credit to sort it out because the Origin helpline does not work on my Origin landline. Origin have agreed to pay my out-of-contract charges with my previous provider, which is something. Speed performance seems okay but I haven't demanded much of it yet. Clearly not a rave review.
    • tonytubsh
    • By tonytubsh 9th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tonytubsh
    Origin
    Origin charge from the date of activation but they charge the full rates up until the 1st of the month so even if you have a cheap deal you can get lumbered with quite a bill on top. I paid my line rental up front and was then charged nearly £20 for the 20 days from my activation date until the 1st of the month. I was not notified about this clearly when I took up their offer and would have organised connection nearer the 1st of the month. Needless to say I will be following this up with the ombudsmen after getting no where when I complained.
    Don't be caught out.
    Other than that the service has been good.
    Last edited by tonytubsh; 09-09-2017 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Error
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 10th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 7,462 Posts
    • 9,622 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Origin charge from the date of activation but they charge the full rates up until the 1st of the month
    Originally posted by tonytubsh
    Yes, that is not acceptable, people pay for the service 12 months upfront at the time of ordering to start from the time the service/contract starts not pay year upfront and xxx days at full rate

https://www.originbroadband.com/packages/supersaver-deals

"We're offering 12 months unlimited broadband for a great price"

"£12.92 Equivalent Monthly Cost"
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 10th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    glider3560
    I heard back from Origin about my cashback. Apparently it would all be sorted with Top Cashback.

Eventually heard from Top Cashback. Rejected.

Clearly not all sorted. Another email sent to Origin, no reply as yet.

(Note I did leave Origin part way through the year, however they still pocketed the full 12 months from me, since I was contracted for a full year, therefore I'd still expect the cashback to be paid)

• Leonjvw
    • By Leonjvw 12th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Leonjvw
    Terrible Service
    I joined Origin on the 4th of August and went live on the 18th.

I received the router on the 21st and plugged it in later that evening and the following has occurred since:

Spent 1 hour 45 minutes on hold to speak to advanced technical support, only to be told I should try a new ADSL cable and filter as the one sent by Origin may be faulty - there was no adsl light on the router.

Bought a new filter and cable and tried the next day 22nd- spent another 90 minutes on hold for line tests - assured that service had been connected. Still no service.

Called Origin on the 23rd as they advised me that the router may be faulty, advised a new one would be sent out and I would get a delivery text like I did previously. Called again on 24th as heard nothing, advised it was being processed. Called again on 25th and told it was still being processed and I would hear something soon.

I purchased my own router as I didn't trust Origin would send me a replacement out, called tech support on 25th and they said it's an Openreach issue. Provided contact details for when an engineer could visit - Origin said someone would be in touch on 29th or 30th due to bank holiday.

Received an email from Origin on 30th advising issue still under investigation, despite fact Origin had run all tests possible and advised Openreach would be out asap. Received another email on 5th asking for times an engineer could come to my flat - I provided them for the second time and asked why I was having to do this again when I was told someone would be in touch. No response. Called customer services, no one said they could help and said only tech support could assist - I did not fancy spending more hours of my life on hold.

In summary:
    • Promised a replacement router - never arrived and no reason why
    • Promised Openreach would visit and Origin would confirm - no one contacted me
    • Provided availability to Origin twice - no response
    • Lodged complain - no response, but they do have a few days left to run.
    • Spent over 6 hours in total on hold - told average wait times were 5-10 mins for customer services.
    • Asked to leave Origin due to no service provided / no action taken - told it's Open Reach's fault, yet my contract is with Origin, not Open Reach. Is there a breach of contract here?
    • Had no internet for over 3 weeks and no one attempting to get in touch or provided update
    • Currently being billed for nothing.
    • Told it's up to 8 weeks to fix an issue - what am I actually paying for?!

I know the previous tenants who had internet with a different provider, Origin have claimed that there is a potential line issue yet the previous tenants had no issue prior to me changing providers.

In my experience the most unhelpful customer service I have ever experienced. They are happy to take your money but will do nothing to update you and promise you things they can not deliver. I wish I had read the reviews and will be going to another provider, should Origin ever get back to me in any shape or form. I am surprised they would treat new customers this way, or maybe it's the fact I am out of the 14 day cooling off period!
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 19th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    I've chased this up for you again. I'll be in touch by email once I hear back. Origin Broadband
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 19th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    I'd like to take a look at this and get you an update on your complaint. Can you email forum@origin-broadband.co.uk? Origin Broadband
    • ml66uk
    • By ml66uk 30th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ml66uk
    happy customer
    I'd have posted here if I hadn't been happy, so I suppose it's only fair to post when I am. I've been a customer for a week now, and it's gone far better than I expected. Just as fast and reliable as with BT and a lot cheaper.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 1st Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    glider3560
    I'd have posted here if I hadn't been happy, so I suppose it's only fair to post when I am. I've been a customer for a week now, and it's gone far better than I expected. Just as fast and reliable as with BT and a lot cheaper.
    Originally posted by ml66uk
    If you paid for the year in advance amd your service didn't start on the 1st of the month, come back here once you've had the first bill.

• Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 1st Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

Great to hear you're having a good experience with our service. If you ever need any advice in the future, feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 4th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Mister G
    Well, I've now been with Origin for just over a year now with no issues at all.

However, on Sunday my broadband started dropping out and the phone line became very crackly. Rang the Origin CS number at about 3.30pm and got through within 30 seconds. (Maybe I was lucky?)

The CS rep agreed that there was a line fault and would report it to Openreach.

I got a phone call this morning from the OR engineer who said that he'd found the fault in our local cabinet and had fixed it.

Everything is now all back to normal again.

Maybe some of the more expensive ISPs have better response times, but I've no complaints for the money.
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 4th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

Great to hear you're satisfied with your service from Origin.

We're always looking at ways to improve our service in the long term, so if you have any points or queries then just send us an email to forum@origin-broadband.co.uk and we'll make sure they get passed on to the relevant departments.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • marcustandy
    • By marcustandy 9th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    marcustandy
    I don't have the time to list everything but Origin have been truly awful to my 80 year old Dad. They have virtually 'bullied' him on the phone, once he's actually been able to speak with someone! He can't always wait 30 - 80 mins on hold!!

The latest one is Origin telling him that a wifi router has to sit next to the laptop and that 12ft away across the room is too far for a signal to reach his laptop. What utter crap!

Origin had his money upfront, and a lot of money too, and since then he has been treated appallingly. It make me so angry and so sad that any person or any company would treat 'vulnerable' persons this way. He's had so much downtime of his 'lifeline to the outside world', and so much stress and worry about it all, that he has now placed an order with another provider. He will lose a lot of money; he shouldn't have to but it seems he feels he has to escape all of the problems that Origin have caused him.

Truly, Origin is by far the very worst company/service I have ever known.
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 10th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you would like some help, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your account name, address and postcode so that we can investigate for you.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 17th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    aylesby
    Virgin Download Speed Colapse
    Over the last two weeks speeds in Area 20 ( South of Manchester) have fallen from 200+ to 30 for me. Their Speed forum is shows this to be national with many speeds in single digit. Virgin are too busy to accept contact to discuss this.
    I am leaving for a responsive supplier. Any suggestions
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 17th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you're currently looking for a supplier, we're always available to supply service. If you need any information, you can visit our website at www.originbroadband.com. Or,if you have any questions, you can send us an email to forum@origin-broadband.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 18th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you need any help, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • newtonflotman
    • By newtonflotman 24th Oct 17, 11:53 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    newtonflotman
    Avoid this company! I've been with Origin for over two years now. I've actually previously recommended them on here. Now though they have had an 'upgrade' to their network. Routers have needed to be reset and they are using different servers. Whereas always had 63mb no dropouts, no get loads of dropouts and very slow speeds much of day. Max speed since setting change 52mb but regularly 10mb or less. Check their Facebook page, Twitter and Trustpilot it's a major issue. They've also started billing me monthly even though I've paid two years upfront. Plus today received bill for £402 for a months internet and a new line!!!!!! Incompetent is an understatement.

I know they used to use Plusnet Business broadband to bounce off, I have read on the internet they have changed over to Talk Talk to bounce off from. This has given them so much hassle they can't cope.
    Last edited by newtonflotman; 24-10-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter