Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 12
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Suggest you sign up to Origin and see how you feel after three months. I`v been with them for three months and wish i could leave, but paid a year up-front.
    Originally posted by HERMITT
    My point was that MSE have no liability and legal action is expensive. I made this point on the 12th April to another poster who declared MSE should "do something" and that he was seeing a lawyer.

I'm not about to sign up to Origin Broadband, thanks anyway..
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 20-06-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
    You won't get a refund.
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
    • highland lass
    • By highland lass 21st Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    highland lass
    Complete incompetence from start
    DO NOT TOUCH

WORSE THAN THE OLD DODGY DIAL UP AND ATROCIOUS ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Paid up front for a year for broadband, line rental, calls then discovered no caller display - they then sent a bill saying they were taking this amount of money (a full months rental for everything + charge for caller display)
    I finally got through to call centre to advise them this figure was incorrect - with plenty of time for them to stop/alter payment - needless to say THEY DID NOT STOP THIS AMOUNT COMING FROM MY BANK
    On finally getting through to them once I realised they had taken this amount out of my account I contacted them and they advised they could not reinstate my money until nearly two weeks - I asked how can you take my money over the phone but you can not return my money the same way.
    After speaking to the COMMUNICATION OMBUDSMAN about the atrocious customer service and them also taking this money was advise to get in touch with my bank to raise an Indemnity Claim and to cancel my direct debit with them.
    They have finally returned the money they overtook but have still to sort it out

DO NOT TOUCH UNLESS YOU WISH TO SPEAK AND DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AS A CUSTOMER.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
    Of course you can move.

However, as I said in the first response, you won't get a refund of your advance payment.
    • snozzler29
    • By snozzler29 24th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    snozzler29
    disgusted by ORIGIN

4 hours on hold

no access to customer portal

3 weeks after activation date no internet service

was promissed 5gz wifi router by sales person and got a old technology router instead and told to pay £80 for a modern one

did i mention 4 hours on hold ?

minimum time on hold 30 mins , average time 1.3 hours or until phone battery dies or your ear becomes so uncomfortable you can no longer bare the phone against your ear so you put it on loud speaker and teh race begins between agent and battery death

they delete all negative remarks from their social media accounts so you only see the positives

all other major companies offer better equipment and customer service.Even talktalk were better than these cowboys
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 4th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    glider3560
    Trying to get hold of Origin to cancel my service as I'm moving.

Holding for 30 minutes or so each time. No answer.

• nojnojnoj
    • By nojnojnoj 7th Jul 17, 3:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nojnojnoj
    I'm Another gullible fool!
    I must vehemently endorse all the negative comments raised on this site and note this has been happening all year, possibly since December 2016, and as a previous poster pointed out, it is an odd 'coincidence' given they had a venture capitalist invest 3million early 2017!

I am at the end of my tether and after waiting 3 weeks for an acknowledgement to a complaint via resolver, am considering cancelling the direct debit, doing an indemnity claim and taking my chances!

It is diabolical that this company is able to act in this manner in this day and age, and just con customers right, left and centre, taking money, providing very little service and not responding to any issues via email or chat, and leaving customers waiting for over 2 hours (in my experience) on the phone only to then be fobbed off.

Please do not sign up with this company. With any luck they will go out of business soon and we can all be free!
    • Badger04
    • By Badger04 7th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Badger04
    Origin broadband almost fantastic
    I was forced to use BT for a year after superfast broadband arrived in our village. the cost included calls then went to £50+. I rang origin and did a great deal with them. if you pay up front, you get very low prices. hub and connections went well. Speed is exactly the same as BT.
    Have had as few billing issues since they started using the new portal, but these were sorted.
    Honestly, i am really happy with Origin. They are really trying to break the BT monopoly and if we only see people who have issues, others are not getting the true picture.
    I would recommend for you to give them a try. Set up and run on a monthly contract and if they prove reliable sign up like me for a longer period. I will use the money saved over 3 years for a holiday in Cyprus!
    • Badger04
    • By Badger04 7th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Badger04
    Origin almost fantastic - i have repeated this as i put it in the wrong place first t
    I was forced to use BT for a year after superfast broadband arrived in our village. the cost included calls then went to £50+. I rang origin and did a great deal with them. if you pay up front, you get very low prices. hub and connections went well. Speed is exactly the same as BT.
    Have had as few billing issues since they started using the new portal, but these were sorted.
    Honestly, i am really happy with Origin. They are really trying to break the BT monopoly and if we only see people who have issues, others are not getting the true picture.
    I would recommend for you to give them a try. Set up and run on a monthly contract and if they prove reliable sign up like me for a longer period. I will use the money saved over 3 years for a holiday in Cyprus!
    • ascii
    • By ascii 9th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ascii
    I signed up for Origin Broadband in March when they were running an offer that included a £200 voucher after three months, as featured on the Money Saving Expert website.

CLAIM a £200 shopping voucher three months AFTER installation. This is what makes the deal special though annoyingly, it’s fiddly to claim. You'll be sent an email after three months with details of how to choose the retailer you want the voucher for including John Lewis, Argos and Amazon. When you’ve selected one, you get an onscreen code to use.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170310023547/http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

It has now been over three months, and I have not received an email about how to claim the voucher. I tried emailing billing@origin-broadband.co.uk a week ago, but have not received a reply.

Did anyone else sign up for this offer? If so, have you received your voucher? If there is anyone from Origin Broadband on this forum, please could you chase up the matter for me.
    • FredTheBaddie
    • By FredTheBaddie 10th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    FredTheBaddie
    Well I've just emailed the complaints email address previously on the thread about the voucher.

Will give it a while for a response (have had an auto acknowledgement).

Or there's the mse@origin-broadband.co.uk email mentioned just now..
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 14th Jul 17, 11:58 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    I signed up for Origin Broadband in March when they were running an offer that included a £200 voucher after three months, as featured on the Money Saving Expert website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170310023547/http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

It has now been over three months, and I have not received an email about how to claim the voucher. I tried emailing billing@origin-broadband.co.uk a week ago, but have not received a reply.

Did anyone else sign up for this offer? If so, have you received your voucher? If there is anyone from Origin Broadband on this forum, please could you chase up the matter for me.
    Originally posted by ascii
    Hi,
    Thank you for getting in touch about your voucher.

We are currently contacting all customers who signed up to this offer to discuss what voucher they require.

Could you please email us at mse@origin-broadband.co.uk with 'VOUCHER' as the sub heading.

We will send a response, and then the team will contact you once we have check you are on our list, to find out what voucher you require.

Kind Regards,

Origin
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 14th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Originally posted by Badger04

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!! It is always lovely to read. We take onboard all feedback in order to improve where we can!

Thank You,

Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Christopher44
    • By Christopher44 14th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Christopher44
    Origin broadband
    I read the advice on this site a couple of weeks ago & signed up with Origin broadband & paid the 12 month line rental in advance !
    I was told it would take around 10 days !
    After that time without hearing anything I called there number & spent 2 hours on the phone with them !
    They said my appliction had been rejected !
    I had already paid them the 12 month line rental in advance & now my Sky bill for next mont with my old supplier is due !

So I have to pay Sky & I have already paid Origin for the next 12 months on the same line !

They have said they will resubmit my application But I'm still concerned here !

Martin Please Advise people with caution on here !
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher.
    • ascii
    • By ascii 14th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ascii
    Thanks for replying FredTheBaddie and Origin-Broadband. I emailed mse@origin-broadband.co.uk earlier in the week as suggested, and today received an email from Origin's marketing department asking which retailer I would like the voucher for. They say I should receive the voucher in the next 30 days.
    • petermasih
    • By petermasih 16th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    petermasih
    0870 number trouble!
    A friend has got in a mess about this.

Origin's call package info states

"Anytime Calls - £5.99 per month
    Unlimited minutes to 01,02,03, 0845 & 0870 numbers. Calls are chargeable after 60 minutes."
    Note: (apart from 60 minutes) no exceptions mentioned, no asterisks, no footnotes, no small print.

https://www.originbroadband.com/support/knowledge-base/phone/call-packages

HOWEVER in the terms and conditions there is a somewhat different story:
    "To offer a great deal to all of our customers, Origin Broadband offers a number of 'unlimited' call plans to various numbers. Examples may include unlimited 01, 02, 03, 0845 & 0870 numbers. Please note that while certain numbers are included within our plans at no extra cost, we would not include calls to adult lines, chat lines, xxx services within any type of limited or unlimited call allowance.
    Any 'NGCS' (usually 0845 or 0870) call which costs more than 12p per minute is not, and would never be included in an Origin Broadband call plan'. Only calls costing up to 12p per minute would be included."

You've guessed it. My friend only read the first bit, and for some reason he loves 0870 numbers - and now he's got a massive bill!

I've got lots of questions, but would appreciate any help with this one:

Did this term exist when he signed up in March? How can I get hold of a copy of the terms and conditions as they existed earlier this year?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 16th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    glider3560
    A friend has got in a mess about this.

Origin's call package info states

"Anytime Calls - £5.99 per month
    Unlimited minutes to 01,02,03, 0845 & 0870 numbers. Calls are chargeable after 60 minutes."
    Note: (apart from 60 minutes) no exceptions mentioned, no asterisks, no footnotes, no small print.

HOWEVER in the terms and conditions there is a somewhat different story:
    "To offer a great deal to all of our customers, Origin Broadband offers a number of 'unlimited' call plans to various numbers. Examples may include unlimited 01, 02, 03, 0845 & 0870 numbers. Please note that while certain numbers are included within our plans at no extra cost, we would not include calls to adult lines, chat lines, xxx services within any type of limited or unlimited call allowance.
    Any 'NGCS' (usually 0845 or 0870) call which costs more than 12p per minute is not, and would never be included in an Origin Broadband call plan'. Only calls costing up to 12p per minute would be included."

You've guessed it. My friend only read the first bit, and for some reason he loves 0870 numbers - and now he's got a massive bill!

I've got lots of questions, but would appreciate any help with this one:

Did this term exist when he signed up in March? How can I get hold of a copy of the terms and conditions as they existed earlier this year?
    Originally posted by petermasih
    I have the T&Cs saved from November 2016. There is no mention of the 0870 restriction.

• petermasih
    • By petermasih 16th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    petermasih
    Many thanks, Glider. Really appreciate you passing that on to me. A GREAT help.

Does anyone have a March or April incarnation of the Ts & Cs?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin