Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 12
    • richard9131
    • By richard9131 9th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richard9131
    Amazon Voucher claim?
    Anyone get the "Package - Origin Superfast Reward Deal" with the £200 voucher after three months of being signed up? I can't find anything on how to claim this, I thought I took a screenshot of the original MSE post about how to do it but doesn't look like i did! tried a few searches but can't find anything.
    On the note of it being any good, the jury is still out for me. I have had a few occasions where it's buffered when streaming but haven't used it enough to give a solid outcome. I did phone customer services this week on a different matter and got through straight away and they sorted my issue so that's a good start i suppose.
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 14th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    I don't usually post but have found origin very slow and unhelpful. Originally signed up in December and took 5 weeks to activate, supposedly this was due to the festive period. Speeds were quite slow for streaming but to be expected as not using fibre. Just moved house and notified them in advance, couple of weeks in and they are still processing my order with no idea of when the line will be live. Not allowed to cancel without paying the full 12 month contract and get charged £30 for the price ledge of moving (this is standard). Currently paying for no service. Have spoken to other providers who could have me up and running in 2 weeks so not sure if delay. Can't wait till December when I can leave, which is actually January as they charge you full cost for the first month but don't tell you that on sign up. I'm sure other providers aren't great but I would certainly stay clear. Customer services promise to call you back, never do and I usually get transferred to at least 3 people. There are lots of other deals available, I'd pay the extra money!
    Originally posted by Nicky.whitley

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to apologise for the fact you are having speed issues. This can be due a number of things and without looking into your account and performing any checks such as how far away you are from the exchange, or what settings your router is tuned into.

If I could please ask that you email us - mse@origin-broadband.co.uk and we will look into this as a matter of urgency.

Kind Regards,

Origin Complaints
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    don`T, I`M WITH THEM AND WISHED I WAS NOT. I paid a year upfront for fiber. Did-not go live for three weeks after the date i should have. They are still charging me for a per-portion of the line rental, i`v paid a year up-front. My phone bills are horrendous, two calls to China and two to Spain i did-not make cost me £18 pounds, last months calls cost £36 pounds on top of broadband. I still after three months and many phone calls cant get into the portal to check on what they are charging me. I`m going to cut my loses and move to another supplier. Hope this helps.
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    MSE have no liability, nor any ability to "do something".

That seems rather an expensive over reaction.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Suggest you sign up to Origin and see how you feel after three months. I`v been with them for three months and wish i could leave, but paid a year up-front.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 19,050 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Suggest you sign up to Origin and see how you feel after three months. I`v been with them for three months and wish i could leave, but paid a year up-front.
    Originally posted by HERMITT
    My point was that MSE have no liability and legal action is expensive. I made this point on the 12th April to another poster who declared MSE should "do something" and that he was seeing a lawyer.

I'm not about to sign up to Origin Broadband, thanks anyway..
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 20-06-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 19,050 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
    You won't get a refund.
    • HERMITT
    • By HERMITT 20th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HERMITT
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
    • highland lass
    • By highland lass 21st Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    highland lass
    Complete incompetence from start
    DO NOT TOUCH

WORSE THAN THE OLD DODGY DIAL UP AND ATROCIOUS ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Paid up front for a year for broadband, line rental, calls then discovered no caller display - they then sent a bill saying they were taking this amount of money (a full months rental for everything + charge for caller display)
    I finally got through to call centre to advise them this figure was incorrect - with plenty of time for them to stop/alter payment - needless to say THEY DID NOT STOP THIS AMOUNT COMING FROM MY BANK
    On finally getting through to them once I realised they had taken this amount out of my account I contacted them and they advised they could not reinstate my money until nearly two weeks - I asked how can you take my money over the phone but you can not return my money the same way.
    After speaking to the COMMUNICATION OMBUDSMAN about the atrocious customer service and them also taking this money was advise to get in touch with my bank to raise an Indemnity Claim and to cancel my direct debit with them.
    They have finally returned the money they overtook but have still to sort it out

DO NOT TOUCH UNLESS YOU WISH TO SPEAK AND DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AS A CUSTOMER.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 19,050 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
    Of course you can move.

However, as I said in the first response, you won't get a refund of your advance payment.
    • snozzler29
    • By snozzler29 24th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    snozzler29
    Advice over origin broadband deal gone wrong please
    hi i am new to the group and hope this is in the correct place

I joined up with origin broadband and 3 and a half weeks after my activation date i still had no internet access due to problems with the engineers they sent out either not turning up or not doing the work.Finally 4 weeks after my activation date i got a DSL light and the internet worked but it became clear that the router they sent me was not 5ghz capable which i was told it woudl be when joining up on the phone and is pretty much useless to me as 2.4ghz only delivers 20 mb over wireless depending on how well the signal can get through the walls making my 80mb connection pointless.I have tod them today that i am not happy and if they dont issue me a 5ghz router free of charge i will be leaving the contract and they say i can be held to the full 18 month contract.I spent 4 hours on hold on one occasion and have spent many hours on hold trying to sort this problem out as they dont have any contact informtion on tehir website for me to email them just a customer portal that wont allow me to register as the link they sent expired while i was waiting over 3 weeks for my internet to activate and teh request a new link feature dosnt work as the website is glitchy which they also claim to be working on.I have requested multiple times for them to send me my landline phone number , account details etc to no avail and they have now twice failed to call me back when they say the will.Its as though they are deliberatly dragging things out as long as they can so i cant walk away from the contract. Do i have grounds for walking away and if i end up been taken to county court by them would a judge accept my argument that over 3 weeks after my activation date with no service and substandard equipment provided when promised better as good reason.Also how do i tell them i dont wish to continue my contract as they have no means other than telephone that work to speak to them.They ignore facebook messages , remove unflattering reviews and comments from social media and despite asking still have not set up my login details on their customer portal thing which from what i read they also ignore.

Thanks for any advice or help i just want to use a more established company with up to date technology
    • snozzler29
    • By snozzler29 24th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    snozzler29
    if you call them even late at night expect at least a 1 hour wait and to be driven crazy by brian blesseds voice assuring you they will get to you and the same 4 songs driving you mental on repeat while on hold.Only the other evening i wa son hold for 4 hours.I ende dup taking my phone to asda with me , doing my shopping and then starting a night shift at work while waiting for customer support

3 weeks after activation i still had no internet access

sales reps lie about quality of router

they delete any negative comments from social media accounts they have so you only see their praises

if yo want a 5ghz router with a strong signal for wi-fi they wont explain to you until AFTER you have joined up and had your stuff installed that they want an extra £80 for a 5ghz router

avoid like plague your better off paying the little bit more for better custome service and up to date technology elsewhere
    • snozzler29
    • By snozzler29 24th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    snozzler29
    disgusted by ORIGIN

4 hours on hold

no access to customer portal

3 weeks after activation date no internet service

was promissed 5gz wifi router by sales person and got a old technology router instead and told to pay £80 for a modern one

did i mention 4 hours on hold ?

minimum time on hold 30 mins , average time 1.3 hours or until phone battery dies or your ear becomes so uncomfortable you can no longer bare the phone against your ear so you put it on loud speaker and teh race begins between agent and battery death

they delete all negative remarks from their social media accounts so you only see the positives

all other major companies offer better equipment and customer service.Even talktalk were better than these cowboys
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 24th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Timalay
    ISP's aren't responsible for wireless speeds, their far too many variables beyond their control (wireless channel interference, thicker walls to name a couple). If it is the former try changing the channel from automatic to either channel 1, 6 or 11, and see how it performs then. I had trouble a long time ago with Plusnet over wireless, and it fixed it.
    Also, do you have any proof that they offered you a dual band router, if not it'll be your word against theirs?
    Last edited by Timalay; 24-06-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 30th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    hi i am new to the group and hope this is in the correct place

I joined up with origin broadband and 3 and a half weeks after my activation date i still had no internet access due to problems with the engineers they sent out either not turning up or not doing the work.Finally 4 weeks after my activation date i got a DSL light and the internet worked but it became clear that the router they sent me was not 5ghz capable which i was told it woudl be when joining up on the phone and is pretty much useless to me as 2.4ghz only delivers 20 mb over wireless depending on how well the signal can get through the walls making my 80mb connection pointless.I have tod them today that i am not happy and if they dont issue me a 5ghz router free of charge i will be leaving the contract and they say i can be held to the full 18 month contract.I spent 4 hours on hold on one occasion and have spent many hours on hold trying to sort this problem out as they dont have any contact informtion on tehir website for me to email them just a customer portal that wont allow me to register as the link they sent expired while i was waiting over 3 weeks for my internet to activate and teh request a new link feature dosnt work as the website is glitchy which they also claim to be working on.I have requested multiple times for them to send me my landline phone number , account details etc to no avail and they have now twice failed to call me back when they say the will.Its as though they are deliberatly dragging things out as long as they can so i cant walk away from the contract. Do i have grounds for walking away and if i end up been taken to county court by them would a judge accept my argument that over 3 weeks after my activation date with no service and substandard equipment provided when promised better as good reason.Also how do i tell them i dont wish to continue my contract as they have no means other than telephone that work to speak to them.They ignore facebook messages , remove unflattering reviews and comments from social media and despite asking still have not set up my login details on their customer portal thing which from what i read they also ignore.

Thanks for any advice or help i just want to use a more established company with up to date technology
    Originally posted by snozzler29
    Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to apologise for the fact you had a delay in the start of your service with us, and further issues with your connection.
    If it is possible, could you please email your Name/Post code to 'mse@origin-broadband.co.uk' and this will be picked up urgently.

We have different options for you in regards to getting you a better connection, and I am keen to discuss these to try and resolve the issues you are having.

Kind Regards,

Hollie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • geordiepaul2001
    • By geordiepaul2001 2nd Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    geordiepaul2001
    Any origin broadband customers
    Hi all,

I've just went to switch to the Origin Broadband deal but I've been faced with three options when it comes to which router I want.
    I was going with Origin for the price of paying up front and don't want to have to pay £90 - £125 for a router if I don't need to.

The kids use the wifi for youtube on their mobiles, internet on the desktop computer. We use it mainly for downloading tv via sky and catchup services.

Is the free router going to be capable of this or do I need to look elsewhere?

Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 4th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    glider3560
    Trying to get hold of Origin to cancel my service as I'm moving.

Holding for 30 minutes or so each time. No answer.

• nojnojnoj
    • By nojnojnoj 7th Jul 17, 2:33 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nojnojnoj
    Be wary
    Hi

May I suggest you use extreme caution before signing with Origin broadband. If you use the search term Origin broadband complaints in google and click on the trust pilot reviews, you will get an idea of the current problems people are facing. Unfortunately I failed to read these first and I am now committed to 12 months and have had no end of problems and still waiting for an acknowledgement to my complaint from 3 weeks ago.

In terms of your question, the standard router supplied is an Asus, however the model is prone to drop outs as reviews of the model again on google will show (sorry at work and dont have the model number) and I regularly lose internet connection, so far about a dozen times in the 6 weeks of service. Wireless is fine albeit not as good as any other standard router I have had with other suppliers.

Good luck if you do choose to use this provider!
    • nojnojnoj
    • By nojnojnoj 7th Jul 17, 3:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nojnojnoj
    I'm Another gullible fool!
    I must vehemently endorse all the negative comments raised on this site and note this has been happening all year, possibly since December 2016, and as a previous poster pointed out, it is an odd 'coincidence' given they had a venture capitalist invest 3million early 2017!

I am at the end of my tether and after waiting 3 weeks for an acknowledgement to a complaint via resolver, am considering cancelling the direct debit, doing an indemnity claim and taking my chances!

It is diabolical that this company is able to act in this manner in this day and age, and just con customers right, left and centre, taking money, providing very little service and not responding to any issues via email or chat, and leaving customers waiting for over 2 hours (in my experience) on the phone only to then be fobbed off.

Please do not sign up with this company. With any luck they will go out of business soon and we can all be free!
    • nojnojnoj
    • By nojnojnoj 7th Jul 17, 3:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nojnojnoj
    Don't
    I advise to spend an extra £10 and get a reliable service with at least a modicum of communication.

You will likely have things go wrong, have at least half less broadband speed you have now and get no joy trying to contact them at all. There billing procedure is also a joke, you will be charged pro rata of the full rate for the first month, so if you connect mid month, you will be charged the full rate, not offer rate, but pro rata, but it seems this is more than the offer!

Just avoid unless you like a lot of hassle and stress!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,618Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter