Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 11
    • warwickbears
    • By warwickbears 19th Apr 17, 11:11 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    warwickbears
    I signed up with Origin Broadband on the 16th Feb and paid a year (£189.99) in advance - and then, other than a receipt for payment, heard absolutely nothing from them - no emails, no order number, no letters nothing.......

Phoned up a week later and after spending an age on the phone got an apology and was told they would chase up the order.

Another week went by and still nothing, following a bit of internet research I encountered other people who were experiencing similar issues so I phoned back up to cancel the order - I was promised a refund back to my credit card.

A week later having not seen a credit on to my credit card statement I emailed in to Origin and was told that the refund was being processed and it would take 10-14 days to process.

However still, 2 months after initially placing my order and after a number of chase emails, I still have no refund and nothing from them to ever acknowledge my email.

I will now be making a formal complaint and if this is not resolved I will be escalating to the ombudsman.

Very disappointed!
    Originally posted by chile_paul
    If you paid by credit card it may be worth giving your card provider a call, as you may have grounds for a 'chargeback' .
    • vauxhall1975
    • By vauxhall1975 26th Apr 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    vauxhall1975
    All i can say is dont touch with long barge pole sorry origin telephone service is nigh on non existent on 2 occassions trying to cancel due to poor service took 45 to 50 mins on hold to get through to a very unhelpful opetator who didnt care i wanted to cancel just said ok and cut me off ! Almost funny if werent for the fact i got a 45 pound bill for the call to their nunber for the effort !
    They dont state what speed you will get in terms and conditions anywhere and when questioned as to v low speed compared to old provider they said i would have to wait 14 days until it settled and i could only get max 5mb. Having cone from sky on 17mb i knew this to be wrong and their data source for max speed on lines is their own shoddy database not the official channels. Handy they said the 14 days knowing i would not be avle to cancel aftee that i waited 10 days with 5mb at most with online calls to tech dwpt to get them to speed it up. Said they couldnt my line couldnt handle more so i decided to cancel. Total rubbish. Ensure you keep track of the dates etc fibre would prob be fibe im sure but defo beware the standard broadband.
    V
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 26th Apr 17, 12:53 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Good afternoon,

I have just spoken to your representative, Mr Beetham, who has informed me that despite your company assuring me my internet connection would be up and running on 04/04/2017 there is absolutely nothing your company will do to get me connected before 27/04/2017, despite me being unable to work (and thus earn money and falling into rent arrears), as using "home internet for business" requires you, due to your "policy" to apparently do literally nothing to assist a customer who is paying for your non-existent service. Quite how you think not providing a service for nearly a full calendar month is acceptable is beyond me, and due to my circumstance the fact you have confirmed you will make no exceptions whatsoever to help me is simply mind boggling.

In addition, Mr Beetham informed me your company will not offer, even as a gesture of goodwill, a single penny in compensation for the 60 odd hours of wages I will have lost by 27/04/2017 due to being unable to fulfill my work commitments due to having no internet at home; and that doesn't even factor in the costs incurred due to the hours spent on the phone/inconvenience caused. I work part time whilst studying my MA part time, so money is tight for me & every penny counts, yet your company, despite being told repeatedly, have demonstrated zero interest/due care that not only is my job now hanging by a thread, but I will be unable to pay my rent and will fall into arrears with my landlord, leaving me facing possible eviction.

Despite me again asking Mr Beetham for the written business addresses of the two Origin employees named in my previous message, he was unwilling to provide me with them, so the "escalation" process appears to move up the hierarchy to the position of "Team Leader", but will not, for some reason, be permitted to go any further. I have asked Mr Beetham to outline your company's stance (i.e. the fact you are not willing to do a single thing to rectify a situation which is 100% your fault, or compensate me in any way) in writing, as I will be pursuing these issues with the Ombudsmen and will highly likely be pursuing legal action against your company.

I can only recommend any potential customers considering signing up with your company factor in you not only fail to provide the service you advertise, but also your "customer service"
    amounts to washing your hands of any issues/serious problems you have caused paying customers; apologizing yet doing absolutely nothing. Origin Broadband are a scandalous, amateurish outfit, who care not a jot for their customers and the problems they cause them, and I would again advise MSE users to avoid avoid avoid.
    Originally posted by DRJM

Good Afternoon,

A member of our complaints team has tried to contact you this morning regarding the issues that you are having. We are very keen to get this matter sorted for you.
    If I could kindly ask you check your email 'Junk' folder and any voicemail notifications.

Thank You,

Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • DRJM
    • By DRJM 27th Apr 17, 12:21 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DRJM
    I was eventually contacted by someone from your complaints department today, 23 days after the problems first arose.

I have been unable to 'check my email 'Junk' folder' as I have STILL have no internet access, despite you taking two direct debit payments from my bank account; and I have been unable to check my voicemail messages due to the fact I used my entire mobile call allowance on the phone to Origin (5 hours +, mostly on hold) .

I sincerely hope your representative will be forthcoming with an adequate offer of financial reparation due to my loss of earnings etc., as according to my solicitor, the Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards et al. I have a very, very strong case should I choose to pursue Origin Broadband through the courts.
    • VeniVidiVisafree
    • By VeniVidiVisafree 28th Apr 17, 5:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    VeniVidiVisafree
    ah hehehehe
    Origin Broadband advising customers to "CHECK THEIR JUNK FOLDERS IN THEIR EMAIL ACCOUNTS. .... WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS! priceless
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 28th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    I was eventually contacted by someone from your complaints department today, 23 days after the problems first arose.

I have been unable to 'check my email 'Junk' folder' as I have STILL have no internet access, despite you taking two direct debit payments from my bank account; and I have been unable to check my voicemail messages due to the fact I used my entire mobile call allowance on the phone to Origin (5 hours +, mostly on hold) .

I sincerely hope your representative will be forthcoming with an adequate offer of financial reparation due to my loss of earnings etc., as according to my solicitor, the Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards et al. I have a very, very strong case should I choose to pursue Origin Broadband through the courts.
    Originally posted by DRJM
    Good Morning,

Thank you for your response.
    I understand you have received the emails we have sent to you and have been responding via email, to a member of our complaints team - who is looking into this for you.
    We hope to have your matter resolved as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

Origin Broadband
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 28th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Origin Broadband advising customers to "CHECK THEIR JUNK FOLDERS IN THEIR EMAIL ACCOUNTS. .... WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS! priceless
    Originally posted by VeniVidiVisafree
    Good Morning,

We ask customers to check their email 'Junk' folder incase they have any filters on their mailboxes from 'Unknown senders'.

We understand many people have mobile data, with a mailbox linked to their phones so are still able to check and then respond via email, through their mobiles.

We then look at if any further costs for mobile data have incurred, and address this separately.

Kind Regards,

Origin Broadband
    • Lilley44
    • By Lilley44 11th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lilley44
    Just switched to origin, very disappointed!
    As soon as we connected the broadband constantly dropped out & we've now had zero internet for over a week.

Upon phoning customer service, I was on hold for the best part of 2 hours! They were unable to sort the problem & now want to send an engineer out....several emails later (with no reply from origin) & several calls later (being on hold 30 minutes or so each time before someone answered!) an engineer will be sent out, just waiting again for someone to contact me.....

During the couple of hours we had broadband when first setting up, speeds were VERY slow. Unable to watch videos due to horrendous buffering

& we're paying for this 'service'!.....

Prior to origin, we were with plusnet who weren't much better (unable to watch videos etc or update iPhones so had to travel several miles to find a reliable wifi connection!) They were slightly better at answering the phone though!
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 15th May 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    RichyRich
    I've had a real nightmare with Origin Broadband. My one year contract with BT ends today. Around 11th January I was starting to think about applying to a new provider after I called BT and they couldn't offer anything close to the best deals on the market. I looked at Origin and saw they were doing a cracking deal: £300 for two years' line rental and broadband plus about £35 in Quidco - fabulous.

I went through the application on the website and couldn't find where to select the start date - each time I've switched before there has been this option. Went onto the live chat who advised you can't do that through the website and need to call. Disappointing as lose the Quidco cashback but did it a few days later after being on hold 30 minutes. Made it very clear that my switch date had to be the 27th January or later.

A few days later I got an email from BT advising that my broadband, but not my line, would switch on 25th and as such I'd be charged £55 for equipment. I called BT who checked and advised this is correct. I tried calling Origin a few times but gave up after being on hold too long so emailed them. They replied indicating that they hadn't had a switch date through from OpenReach yet and that I would definitely not be transferred before 27th.

On 23rd I called BT to ensure the change had been made. They advised that the switch date was still showing as 25th and it was still showing as broadband only, and not the line so I instructed them to cancel the switch, which they did. I then called Origin Broadband to cancel it from their end too under the terms of the cooling-off period.

After a considerable wait I spoke to a gentlemen who became immediately confrontational and aggressive when I asked him to cancel the order and intended to place it again after 27th to avoid the £55 replacement fee. I was told that this was the third call he had received that day for the same reason and that BT have used similar tactics with other customers to stop them from leaving because they don't want them to go. He said he was looking directly at the OpenReach system and could see that the order was queued for the 27th. I asked why BT's system was showing broadband only and 25th and he said that BT say that to stop customers leaving. I asked him whether he was accusing BT of fraud - he did not answer. I had to ask him around five times to cancel before he eventually acquiesced to my request while still insisting that I would not be charged £55 by BT - an assurance he is unable to give because he does not work for them!

I will still be switching broadband but this experience has put me off switching to Origin. If this is how they talk to customers before they are onboarded I don't really want to get into bed with them for a two year term...and that's before we even get onto their hideously long telephone queues!

My refund will take ten working days, apparently. It didn't take them that long to debit my card!
    by RichyRich
    Ordeal! Origin never refunded me despite my chasing multiple times. Ended up requesting a refund from my bank and getting the money that way.

Raised a complaint which they partially responded to. They eventually admitted they were a few days early.

I ended up escalating to the Ombudsman. They provided me with their proposal today. They have concluded that there were three customer service failures and asked Origin to apologise and provide a modest goodwill gesture.

I'm happy with this and have accepted. I'm pleased that this has finally been brought to a conclusion, and have no intention of applying to switch to Origin again in the future!
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £7,614.32/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Still to save: £4,385.48
    This is the secret message.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 19th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Anyone here have experience with origin broadband?
    They seem to be £10 cheaper than other companies however the reviews online seem almost unanimously bad.

I am wondering whether to take a punt on them or not. I suppose £10 a month is not worth it if the service was terrible, which most reviews are saying it is and especially since I work online and need a reliable connection.
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 19th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    steveE2
    Plenty
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5278762
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 22nd May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    Six months later, my cashback has been rejected.

Not happy. Paid the entire year in full upfront.

Considering my options. Possibly investogating a Section 75 claim, since I paid the full amount on credit card.

• Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 23rd May 17, 12:25 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Six months later, my cashback has been rejected.

Not happy. Paid the entire year in full upfront.

Considering my options. Possibly investogating a Section 75 claim, since I paid the full amount on credit card.
    Originally posted by glider3560

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with us. I am keen to investigate these issues for you and for you to have a resolution quickly.

If I could please ask you send an email over to our complaints team, I will get the matter looked into for you straight away.

The email address you need is: origincomplaints@origin-broadband.co.uk

I apologise again.

Origin Broadband.
    • Shortmlc
    • By Shortmlc 23rd May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shortmlc
    Pants
    Changed to Origin after Martin suggested it because I was fed up with the BT Indian call centre. I am paying for fibre and have not yet exceeded standard BT Broadband speeds I.e less than 8 mb. Communication with these guys is almost impossible. I have managed to get them on the phone once after waiting half an hour only to get some guy just reading from a script telling me I should get at least 13 mb. In response to my slow speeds they asked me to test it at different times of the day. I did, sent them a full report and no response in a week. Now we have to reset the router most afternoons and some evenings just to get some broadband. Absolute rubbish and if I can find someone better I will move.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 31st May 17, 7:13 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with us. I am keen to investigate these issues for you and for you to have a resolution quickly.

If I could please ask you send an email over to our complaints team, I will get the matter looked into for you straight away.

The email address you need is: origincomplaints@origin-broadband.co.uk

I apologise again.

Origin Broadband.
    Originally posted by Origin-Broadband
    As expected, no response regarding cashback. Also no response to my earlier complaint about the incorrect bills.

Time for a chargeback or Section 75 claim?

• bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 31st May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 7,450 Posts
    • 9,611 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    As expected, no response regarding cashback.?
    Originally posted by glider3560

Claimed mine today after going the not so scenic route.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72507776&postcount=3473

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72523214&postcount=3478
    • softmind82
    • By softmind82 2nd Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    softmind82
    Worst Broadband how can i pull out ?
    Hi

I had worst speed of internet since moved to Origin broadband and lots of disconnection and sometime can't even browse webpages.

I get between 3-6 MBPS whereas i was getting 13 MBPS plus with plus net since moved over.

I complained them so many time and they only say you line is much stable at 4-6 mbps and they cant do anything.

I am with them since November 2016 wondering if there is a way i can pull out to other better provider without any penalty or we are covered by any consumer rights.

Please advice.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9,600 Posts
    • 3,921 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Key is how long is your contract .
    12 months from Nov16 or longer ??
    Solution is to pay your contract off and move .
    Origin are saying that your line is unstable and that they have lowered the profile to achieve a better connection .
    You should look at your contract and see if their is any minimum line speed .
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 7th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi

I had worst speed of internet since moved to Origin broadband and lots of disconnection and sometime can't even browse webpages.

I get between 3-6 MBPS whereas i was getting 13 MBPS plus with plus net since moved over.

I complained them so many time and they only say you line is much stable at 4-6 mbps and they cant do anything.

I am with them since November 2016 wondering if there is a way i can pull out to other better provider without any penalty or we are covered by any consumer rights.

Please advice.
    Originally posted by softmind82

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am sorry that you are having these speed issues, and I am keen to get these improved for you if i can.

If you would like to email me at origincomplaints@origin-broadband.co.uk.

I can check to see if fibre is available for you, and look to upgrade you to this until the end of your contract.

Please put the subject header as 'Money Saving Expert'.

Kind Regards,

Origin Complaints
    • Nicky.whitley
    • By Nicky.whitley 7th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nicky.whitley
    I don't usually post but have found origin very slow and unhelpful. Originally signed up in December and took 5 weeks to activate, supposedly this was due to the festive period. Speeds were quite slow for streaming but to be expected as not using fibre. Just moved house and notified them in advance, couple of weeks in and they are still processing my order with no idea of when the line will be live. Not allowed to cancel without paying the full 12 month contract and get charged £30 for the price ledge of moving (this is standard). Currently paying for no service. Have spoken to other providers who could have me up and running in 2 weeks so not sure if delay. Can't wait till December when I can leave, which is actually January as they charge you full cost for the first month but don't tell you that on sign up. I'm sure other providers aren't great but I would certainly stay clear. Customer services promise to call you back, never do and I usually get transferred to at least 3 people. There are lots of other deals available, I'd pay the extra money!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin