Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aletank
    • By Aletank 25th Jun 15, 8:07 PM
    • 512Posts
    • 169Thanks
    Aletank
    Tiled Replacement Conservatory Roof Cost ?
    • 25th Jun 15, 8:07 PM
    Tiled Replacement Conservatory Roof Cost ? 25th Jun 15 at 8:07 PM
    I have a 3x3 Victorian Conservatory with a poly carbonate roof, I'm interested in having the roof replaced with a tiled roof with a plastered vaulted internal ceiling with spot lights in.
    Has anyone had it done ?
    What did it cost ?
    I've contacted a local company but they want to do a site survey & I'm sure a high pressure sales job etc
    All I want is a rough price so I know if its a goer or not, the local company must know within a few hundred what a 3x3 roof costs.
Page 2
    • Aletank
    • By Aletank 4th Dec 15, 5:26 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Aletank
    Conservatory is 3.5 x 4.5. Agreed the price i was quoted was way too steep. My mate is having a double storey extension built at the moment so i'm going to ask his builder to quote for the same size (3.5 x 4.5) single storey extension. Cheers
    Originally posted by Kmilne
    I'd go for a single storey extension, plenty of windows with at least 2 Velux windows in the roof, small spot lights in the ceiling with a radiator plumbed into the system
    I'd be interested in your quote, just out of curiosity really & to compare to your £12.6k quote just for a new roof !
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Dec 15, 7:18 AM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I've been told that by adding a solid roof to the conservatory it then becomes classed more as an extension, hence change of use has to be applied for and it that also means it becomes subject to building regs.
    However, i'm not just taking their word for it, i'm also checking this out with my local council's planing and building control office.
    Originally posted by Kmilne
    That's right. But only changing the roof is not going to make it comply. Conservatories aren't built with proper footings for a start - which is quite a big stumbling block where building control are concerned!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Candice-Marie
    • By Candice-Marie 9th Dec 15, 1:54 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Candice-Marie
    Update
    Just popping back to say I'm DELIGHTED with my new roof. (I promise I would be honest if I had any misgivings).

I now use the conservatory as a reception room, which was impossible before, and it's now my favourite room in the house and has basically become an extension. It's just over 26 m2. The insulation appears to be doing its job very well temperature-wise, and there is no noise from rain. Previously, you couldn't have a conversation in there if it was raining, due to the noise, and the noise would also disturb the 1st floor bedroom that overlooks the roof. I've had the Building Regs certificate.

I can't escape the fact that the price was eye-watering, and if I'd wanted a conservatory, I'm sure I could have had a new one for almost the same price - but I wanted a room, not a conservatory, and that's what I've got.

Result =Happiness

I'll gloss over the major saga I'm having with Carpetright over the flooring...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin