Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • TNG
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:23 PM
    Dunno where you are, but try Mynow.co.uk and see if there's coverage in your area.

They do it
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
  • Uncle Fester
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:31 PM
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:31 PM
    Dunno where you are
    Originally posted by TNG
    Harmondsworth, West London (UB7)...Tried them, but No luck
  • TNG
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:34 PM
    • 13th Aug 07, 3:34 PM
    that's strange. i'm not far from there and that's who I'm with. i thought they did most of Middlesex...

Sorry
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
  • BritBrat
    • 13th Aug 07, 4:13 PM
    • 13th Aug 07, 4:13 PM
    Got a friendly neighbour who would share his connection with you?

If they are next door run a cable through a window and share the connection costs.
  • Uncle Fester
    • 20th Aug 07, 2:47 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 2:47 PM
    Anyone know of any others?
    • darwin-rover
    • By darwin-rover 20th Aug 07, 6:12 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darwin-rover
    • 20th Aug 07, 6:12 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 6:12 PM
    Virgin Media ?
  • christopher
    • 21st Aug 07, 3:21 PM
    • 21st Aug 07, 3:21 PM
    Nope.

You're at the mercy of locally-organised operations - one of my village's residents decided to go into partnership with a few other local people and, using his industry contacts and technical knowhow built up a regional wifi ISP providing broadband via directional wifi antennas on the roofs of our houses (with eventual connection to MANY DSL hookups in Bicester, all load balanced, very professionally done, entirely transparent to the end user etc)... Unless you can find a similar project, you're straight out of luck really, because there's just no money to be made in these kind of endeavours unless there's no alternative (fixed line) broadband available from the big players.

Finding a friendly neighbour and putting a fiver in his hand every month is probably going to be the most viable route for you to pursue.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 22nd Aug 07, 3:20 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    • 22nd Aug 07, 3:20 AM
    • 22nd Aug 07, 3:20 AM
    Anyone know of any others?
    Originally posted by Uncle Fester
    Virgin Media if your in a cable area.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 22nd Aug 07, 7:00 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Technically, the "find a neighbour" approach is actually illegal, although I'm not aware of any cases of residential internet sharing that have made it to court.

Another option is to use mobile-internet. As someone who is not technical, I can certainly recommend the T-mobile web'n'walk plus tarrif with free USB modem.

Check to see if you are in a high speed area - http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/c...reetcheck_link (look for 3G - High Speed Internet coverage)
    Where the 3G signal isn't available, and you're not in the coverage of a t-mobile hotspot then will automatically use the 2G signal which works at the speed of a dial-up connection.

If you are in a high speed area, this is a great way to get on line without any type of fixed phone.

Signing up to the offer below gets the modem free, 11 months at half price with the 18 month contract and £25 cashback is available via quidco.com. All of this cashback taken into account means a total cost of £18.75/month equivalent for High Speed Mobile Internet with a limit of 3GB per month.
    11 months half price: http://!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/t-mobile-3g-usb-modem.html
    £25 cashback: http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-co-uk/
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 22nd Aug 07, 7:11 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    Technically, the "find a neighbour" approach is actually illegal, although I'm not aware of any cases of residential internet sharing that have made it to court.
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    Never knew that. What legislation is this under? Does it mean it's illegal to run an insecure wireless network and if so, what is considered 'secure'?
    You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 22nd Aug 07, 8:35 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Never knew that. What legislation is this under? Does it mean it's illegal to run an insecure wireless network and if so, what is considered 'secure'?
    Originally posted by A Nice Englishman
    Many apologies. It was illegal until legislation in July 2003 actually theoretically permits broadband connection sharing - but it is down to individual ISPs as to whether they want to permit it in their own terms and conditions. May be worth asking your ISP whether they allow it.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 22nd Aug 07, 8:42 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    Thanks Stuart_W. I'm not thinking of sharing my connection but usually see several unsecured networks when I look. I just wondered if they were breaking the law (as well as being stupid!)
    You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
    • Forgetful
    • By Forgetful 1st Sep 07, 3:06 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 8,774 Thanks
    Forgetful
    here in Mancester u can get interet access without the need of a telephone line.
    Its called Eastserve.
    I would highly recomend it...althougth I personally do not use it anymore on teh basis it restricted me on my usage cos i download a lot.

Basically u get an aeriel fitted to the roof of ur house just like a tv ariel and the line coming from it is plugged into the back of ur pc which they come anf fit and very cheap.
  • balt
    Three are introducing a wireless modem for use anywhere, plugs into usb. £10 for 1Gb
    £15 3Gb
    £25 7Gb

Might be worth a look if you are desperate!
    Modem is free if you hurry on 15 and above.
    Just noticed this post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=539855
    Last edited by balt; 02-09-2007 at 3:16 PM.
  • ormus
    eastserve wireless BB only serves east manchester, around the new mcfc stadium area.
    and its expensive at 20 quid per month for 1 mb service.
    (installation is free though).
    Get some gorm.
  • littlemisscheap
    Three are introducing a wireless modem for use anywhere, plugs into usb. £10 for 1Gb
    £15 3Gb
    £25 7Gb

Might be worth a look if you are desperate!
    Modem is free if you hurry on 15 and above.
    Just noticed this post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=539855
    Originally posted by balt

Just wanted to add for anyone who claimed a free 3g card with their centrino laptops in the past (whether HSPDA or UMTS or other type) from Vodafone ...aka...me,me,me, you can in fact ring Vodafone Customer Services up to request a contract - the advantages are:-

1) You get to use the Vodafone network (I have checked this works for me)
    2) Vodafone have discounted it for me based on £15 3gb allowance from 3
    3) You can sign up to a 12 month contract instead of 3's 18 month
    • thebyp
    • By thebyp 9th Sep 07, 4:09 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    thebyp
    Originally posted by A Nice Englishman
    Its not illegal to run an insecure network, however it IS illegal to access somebody else's network without their direct authority. Yes people have been arrested for it as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2154015,00.html
  • penge
    that's strange. i'm not far from there and that's who I'm with. i thought they did most of Middlesex...
    Originally posted by TNG

I thought the same thing recently, because i was with MyNow and they terminated my service saying that it was due to coverage reduction and yet my friend who lives up the road can still get it. Mmm ... t'is strange indeed.
  • Ihatecameron
    Yes, if you have a wifi enabled laptop, you can now get wireless access from O2 and you do not need a landline. It works on a dongle that uses a sim card. The dongle costs £20 and you can top up the sim as you would on PAYG on a mobile phone. 1gb costs £7 at the moment which is more than enough access time for internet use for a month.
    The only drawback is if you do not use 1gb within a month, you can't carry it over to the next month. Basically it costs £7 quid per calendar month, if you top up 3 weeks into a month, that means you have the remainder of the month to use 1gb, from that perspective its a bit of a con but still far cheaper than standard broadband. Swings and roundabouts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,854Posts Today

7,439Users online

Martin's Twitter