Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st Jun 15, 2:49 PM
    • 760Posts
    • 1,445Thanks
    crunch_time
    Crunchy pays it down....20k...the final chapter
    • 21st Jun 15, 2:49 PM
    Crunchy pays it down....20k...the final chapter 21st Jun 15 at 2:49 PM
    Hi I’m crunch_time (Crunchy) and welcome to my shiny new diary!!

My first light bulb moment was about 5 years ago when I finished uni for the second time (1 year professional course) with no job and at the same time, my husband was made redundant. I owed nearly 11k spread across a loan, a credit card, a store card and 2 overdrafts. Husband was about the same with 10k of credit cards) so 20k between us. I got savvy with a spreadsheet and started my money saving journey.

Fast forward 5 years, a (frugal) marriage, 2 kids and a house move and although at our lowest our combined debt was 14k, we are now hovering around the 20k mark again. I know exactly what our debt consists of…

Loan - 16,190 - 8k of cars, 4k of old uni debt and the rest is husbands historic debt.
    Overdraft 1800 – to pay for the house move as we didn’t have enough equity in the house
    Bank of mum and dad 500 – same as above
    Husbands credit card - 300 – new suit, and watch
    My credit card - 2112 – Home office deposit (900), new camera 485, rest is some clothes bits, food and over budgeted petrol.

A year ago I discovered this forum and started a diary with the focus of paying down about 3-4k of debt before our second child was due in October, so we could then chuck more money at the mortgage so we could move. The diary is here…

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4995877&highlight=

A few months in we decided to move house sooner than expected and although we did eventually pay off the 3-4k of debt, we now have gone backwards slightly with the costs of moving and my then being on maternity leave. The diary is here…

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5144876&highlight=

I am about to go back to work after my second lot of maternity leave and now feel even more determined to become debt free. Why? I want to have adventures I’ve been putting off these last few years because we couldn’t afford them and show my children the world. We also want to pay down our mortgage so we can move to a bigger, more rural house in the future.

I’m not setting any time limits on this as life will happen. Life is steadier these days and we are not planning any more children. We will need a new car and I’m sure other obstacles will come up but I am determined to do this for my children’s future and myself to prove to myself that I can live without debt.

Who is with me???

Crunchy xx

Monthly achievements

Start debt - 20,936
    25th June 2015 - 20,552
    25th July 2015 20,339
    28th August 20,722
    28th Sept 19,393
    28th Oct 19,089
    28th Nov 20,248
    28th Dec 19,304
    28th Jan 17,238
    28th Feb 16,574
    28th March 15,881
    28th April 14,708
    28th May 13,667
    28th June 13,365
    28th July 12,220
    28th August 11,875
    Last edited by crunch_time; 28-08-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update monthly figured
    June 2014 23,555 vs Now 10,500 (Loan)
    Smashed my credit card for the last time 1275 PAID OFF!!!
    Next up - Husbands Credit card 1461
    0% Credit card 950/1096
Page 22
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 6th Sep 16, 10:22 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary,

I was thinking last night as I was cutting out some bunting for my kitchen that I should change my mindset so that I'm saving up to pay off my credit card once and for all. I'm quite good at slushing down the debts but quickly rack them up because my mindset is currently that I will pay for that next month. I usually have the money allocated its just that it could be going on better things.

Day 2 of school and I think DS is knackered already. Two tantrums in the space of 24 hours. Glad I'm off to support him through it though.

I thought it would be good to have a schedule at home so the kids and I don't get lost in a world of 'what to do next' so that's on the list of things to do today.

Also, the place I had a job interview for a few months ago is advertising for another position in an age group that is my speciality. Trying to decide whether to apply or not. If I do that's 2 jobs to apply for to start in January - progress.

Two days in on the spending diet and only bought milk and squash so far. Must remember to buy 2 lots of squash when I shop from now on. With husband and I both at home a lot of the time we are steaming through it and the basics range is soooo much cheaper than the leading brand in the local shop.

Off for a run shortly while the husband listens out for DD who is napping. I've been 8 times in 2 weeks so obviously mean business about shorting myself out. I am 1.5 stones heavier than before I got pregnant with DD. She is nearly 2 now and I cant seem to shift it. I don't feel any bigger just thicker around my middle. I have cut back on booze and started to track my food intake and I have noticed a difference in how I look anyway and seem to be getting slimmer but now its the wrong time of the month and its all a bit off kilter. So I'm running today and then HIIT training for the rest of the week as husband is away. Very grateful I can pop out when he is at home. I can run 3kms in 23 minutes which isn't too bad. I want to be running 10k in under an hour by the end of the year though. That's my target. And running is really making me happy at the moment. That runners' high is real people!!

Anyway have a lovely day everyone!!

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 14th Sep 16, 10:14 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary

Long time no speak! I've been busy settling the little dude into school and relaxing into SAHM status.

Positive things that have happened over the last week.

- Mortgage advisor asked us to do Experian reports and both of us are 999 rating!! Hopefully this week we will get a new mortgage sorted.

- I have reorganised our budget spredsheet to take into account our newly reinstated budget savings accounts. We now have accounts for....
    Home maintenance - 50 a month (saving up for landscaping next year and finishing painting the house inside)
    car maintenance - 50 a month
    Slush fund - emergency overdraft (left over money put into this to build it up to 50)
    Stuff we need to buy - 50 a month (wedding ring for the hubs, mattress etc.)
    Clothes - 100 (for all of us)
    Christmas and birthdays 155 a month (includes spending money for our Christmas holiday as well as Christmas presents and birthday presents for 3 of us. After Chrsitmas it will go down to 50 a month. I stopped our regular contribution early in the year so we could focus on getting the dent paid down.)
    Holiday fund - nothing at the moment - when I start work again most of my money after childcare will go into this.
    Swimming lessons - 45 a month. ( I have to pay a term up front so thought it best to start saving up now for Spring term. Eventually it will include DD swimming lessons and any other extra activities they do)

- I have put some bits on bay of e which are finishing today. Lots of bidding. All proceeds to go into clothes pot/paying off the sports bra which is sitting on my credit card.

- running is going well and really enjoying it. Except in this heat.

- ive started sewing again and thinking of starting up a sewing blog.

- I have applied for one job for January and am looking around another school next week.

Negatives
    - I'm struggling for money for food this month and having to raid the car maintenance fund - must try better next month. It doesn't help that its a 5 week month. Envelope system will be reinstated.

- still haven't managed to get any larger items on gum of tree. Will try harder.

Anyways have a lovely day everyone and hope you are enjoying the lovely weather. I'm looking forward to cooler wether now I must admit!

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 21st Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary!

Cant believe its a week gone by since I last posted! I like to move on with my life but sometimes I don't like how much it flashes before my eyes.

So I've basically been focussing on settling the boy into school still. He is doing full days now but will perhaps have a half day tomorrow and Friday. We off to the wedding weekend on Friday. I'm looking forward to it immensely!!

Positives
    - made 25 on ebay ......
    - added a health pot to my budget pots I posted about last week.
    - sending off application for the school I went to look at for a job.
    - another job has come up that I can apply for so that's 3 now. Hopefully ill get a hit.
    - I've decided not to start a blog but still do the sewing.
    - more stuff has been listed on bay of e.

Negatives
    - spent 6 out of my 25 ebay sales on wine.....
    - still having to use the car maintenance pot to pay for food but at least its not credit cards and I can build it up again.

Right I had better get on with that job application then.

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 27th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Afternoon diary,

I'm now up to 4 jobs to apply for!! Hurrah!!

We also had letters from our isa banks saying the annual interest rate was now a pittence. I checked my spreadsheet and we have about 1200 in both of ours combined - enough to warrant an 'emergency fund.'

I'm therefore seriously considering not saving anymore and chucking our monthly payments (140) towards the loan. This would take the total down to 10,245 before Christmas. It's not quite my dream but it's a start.

I'm not going to tell the husband as we agreed no more overpaying the loan. Tbh having such a massive debt is making me sick to my stomach and I just want rid of it now. I feel I owe it to my children to just get rid of it. Husband thought I was crazy to start saving regularly anyway.

If I overpay the loan like this it will be closer to 5k by the end of 2017. More if I overpay with some of my earnings too. So we can pay it off in less than 2 years and then save all that extra money from then on.

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 4th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary

Husband got paid on Friday so all pots topped up as detailed above. The loan is now down to 11,600 which is awesome!

The table and chairs is now down to 1092. At some point I would like to round this down so it is a multiple of 50 but for now it can stay how it is.

As for the other 2 credit cards I'm not going to put them on my signature as I think it will stress me out and I feel we will be going backwards. I have itemised everything on them and colour coded them so when there is money left over in the corresponding pots at the end of the month I will pay off what I can with that.

After lots of ups and downs over the last few months I feel I have finally made peace with where we are and our situation and no longer feel guilty about it. The loan is just going to run and I'm going to focus on frugal fun and budgeting for things - at least until I get a new job.

We have been approved for a new mortgage!!! 613 a month at 2.3% for 2 years. We are currently paying 800 a month at 3.89% so a massive improvement. Husband and I have decided to have a couple of months break from overpaying so we can save up for some bits and bobs that we need and pay down some debt.

Right I had better get on and do the banking.

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 7th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary!

I have a job interview on Monday! 3 days a week for my favourite year group. I'm very pleased and just being asked is a real boost in my confidence. So lots of prep this weekend for a competency based interview and half an hour teaching task!

Curried root vegetable soup is currently simmering on the stove - yum!
    I've decided to do slimming world while I'm off. I'm desperate to lose my 1.5 stone of baby weight that STILL hasn't gone. It's now or never. I'm about to do a meal plan and shop today with the eating principals in mind. Running is going well. I can run 3.3ks now (2 miles) without stopping so its time to up my game and start running longer distances. That's the plan for this weekend - 3 miles!!!

I need to go to the city tomorrow and get a few budgeted bits like presents and new shoes for DD.

On Sunday we are going for a walk with some friends at a lovely forest near us. Free parking and we will take a picnic so a NSD planned.

Happy weekend everyone xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 8th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Afternoon all.

2.7 miles run at 11.30 mins per mile. Ran all the way with no stopping. My pace was slower than normal but it felt good.

My plan this week is to do my usual route twice hopefully upping my speed and then try this route again next weekend, possibly in reverse.

I've also lost 1 pound out of 28 this week! Not bad considering I decided to do slimming world after I had been shopping so hadn't bought the right snacks!

My wine consumption is going to have to go down due to how many syns a glass is!! Husband is pleased as apparently it's me that drives this when we are at home!!

Popped I the city today and picked up the book I need for the interview and also started some Christmas and birthday shopping. All budgeted for! Pleased with myself!

Quiet night in planned tonight xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 9th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    abba1772
    Good luck for your interview on Monday xx
    BARCLAYCARD TO BE PAID OFF BY XMAS Sept 16: 2299 Now 93.85

POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 7445.53/ 6000
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 10th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I got the job!!!!

3 days a week and they want me to start after half term!!

Arrgghhhhhh!

So pleased though. Love the school. Apparently I came across really well and they think I will fit in well.....even though during the interview I actually said the words 'I'm really sorry. I talk too much.'' Ha ha ha!

Things are about to get busy!

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 10th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    abba1772
    Congrats on the job that's fantastic news xx
    BARCLAYCARD TO BE PAID OFF BY XMAS Sept 16: 2299 Now 93.85

POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 7445.53/ 6000
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 11th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Congratulations, fab news
    2025/3000 OH BC(32.50% PAID) 1600/3851 B/C (58.45% PAID)
    540/1000 Tesco (46% PAID) MBNA 3400/3795.64 (10.42% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D & MBNA PAID
    LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: 7565/31010.23 (75.60% paid)
    Mortgage - 85,000.00 (O/P 666.48 so far) PAYDBX 16 #006 - 14957.15/10000
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 12th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Thank you!

I felt awful yesterday - I headache that just wouldn't go away. Must be coming down with a cold or something.

Anyway, I still managed to get some bits done in my new project 'Getting myself organised so I can effortlessly work and be organised at home.'

- husband has got information for child card vouchers so hopefully this will make a bit of a saving.
    - DD booked into nursery from 31st October for 3 days a week.
    - DD settling in sessions booked.
    - forms got from school for DS to go into before and after school club
    - Name labels ordered for DD
    - Grandparents contacted to see if they can do a day or half a day of childcare if they want to.
    - excel spreadsheet done for the next 14 months until DD gets her free hours to show worst case scenario of childcare taken away from monthly earnings to prove to oneself that this is all worth it. It is - after childcare costs for the whole year I will earn over 7k before childcare vouchers and potentially grandparents helping out.

Still to do

- contact school re DBS check and days I can come in.
    - begin to tackle massive to do list of things I need to do to get ready for the big start date so I feel in control and unstressed.
    - organise DD's birthday which is coming up at the end of the month.
    - contact nursery to confirm everything.

I had better get a wriggle on then!!

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning diary!

I have come down with a cold overnight and feeling very under the weather. Will pop a lemsip in a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Husbands childcare vouchers will save us about 50 a month in childcare so very pleased with that.

I'm definitely starting on the 31st of October now as my dbs can be carried on from my last place. Now I know that for sure I can contact hr about childcare vouchers from me.

i had a big realisation yesterday that I need to seriously cut my to do list down. I had big plans for lots of projects to do in the run up to Christmas and there will be no time for all of it now.

Top project is getting the office organised so I'm ready to work again and hit the ground running.

Dds birthday is all planned now. Phew!

And lastly new mortgage paperwork has come through so it's all go!!

Latest mortgage payment has come out. Will update the figures in a bit.

Crunch xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    So mortgage is now 154,527 with 45,473 equity and 24,527 left to go before August 2019.

I cant remember whether I have mentioned this before but this deal is for 2 years at 2.13% costing us 613 minimum payment.

With no overpayments we will get to 146,278 by the end of the 2 years giving us 53,722 equity leaving us 16,278 to pay off before our target.

If we round up the monthly payment to 700 so an overpayment of 87 we will get to 144,147 by the end of the two years giving us 55,853 of equity leaving us 14,147 to pay off before our target.

If we round up the monthly payment to 800 so an overpayment of 187 we will get to 141,697 by the end of the two years giving us 58,303 of equity leaving us 11,697 to pay off before our target.

Lots of food for thought and as usual I am taking a while to decide what our strategy is!!

Crunchy xx
    Last edited by crunch_time; 15-10-2016 at 8:57 PM.
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Evening diary,

Just sat down with the husband for a very productive money chat and (long story short) we have decided that we are going to get rid of the loan by the end of 2017!! Feels so great to have him on board. He was the one for a while that wanted to overpay the mortgage which made me doubt all my budget stuff.

Very pleased that I now have a debt free date in mind now!! Once its gone that's it! I've been in debt for so long I cant remember not being in it!

Plan will come soon once I sort all of our childcare etc out.

I do hope you lovely readers will all stick around with me to help me see it through.

Lets do this!!!!!

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • louby40
    • By louby40 16th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    louby40
    Congratulations on the job! Are you job sharing? What age will you be teaching?

I've just moved up with my class into Year 1. Finding it all a bit overwhelming really, it's 5 years since I taught in KS1 so it's all changed.

I'm enjoying it though but doing a lot of work at home and not leaving school till 5pm most nights!
    Dec 16 Barclaycard 73 0% First Direct 1179 0% Parents 2125=3377
    Nov 16 Barclaycard 73 0% First Direct 1179 0% Parents 2425= 3677
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Car loan 5024 Mortgage 99,720
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 17th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Thanks louby40! Yes its a job share and its Year 1 too. I love that year group so very happy. Shame about bringing lots of work home. I'm not looking forward to that.

So I have been hard at work formulating a plan.

- I have upped the minimum payment from 275 to 300.
    - I have adjusted the amount husband pays into the joint account to reflect the lower level of mortgage and rounded it up to 200.

So 500 over the next 14 months would bring the loan down to 4600.

I have worked out childcare for the next 14 months at a crude level without discounts for childcare vouchers and also budgeted for a UK cottage holiday next summer. After all this is taken into consideration I should have 8430 left. So more than enough to cover the 4600 left of the loan.

Now to fess up to how much is on the credit cards....

Mine = 450
    Husbands = 169

I'm not too bothered about these at the moment. I really just want to get a move on with the loan. They probably cost us about 30 a month on min payments so I think I shall just let them be for the moment (of course try not to use them) and then once Christmas is over with and I have got to grips with paying for childcare I can start to tackle those as well.

So the nursery wants payment up front and the after school club wants payment in arrears so I think it will be a few months before I am paying on time for both.

After Christmas I shall make some more concrete plans like targets for each quarter or something.

Fore now its a case of getting to grips with the new job, meal planning and remaining in budget for Christmas... which is always hard to do.

Here are the loan payments for the next few months...

Currently 11,600
    Nov 2nd 11,100
    Dec 2nd 10,600
    Jan 2nd 10,100

So I wont be under 10k by Christmas but I shall be pretty close!

So I need to clear it all by 19th December 2017

10,100 divided by 11 pay days = 918 a month. Take off the 500 minimum payment and I will have to find 418 a month to make sure we stay on track.

Looking at the figures this is totally doable so long as we stay on track.

Watch this space

Crunchy xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 18th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I had a thought last night before I went to bed that we have the 600 sitting in our isa for our dog. I spoke to the breeder recently and it's not going to happen until closer to April next year so it's pointless that money sitting there doing nothing.

I'm going to take it and use it towards my first nursery bill due on 1st November for circa 800 then I won't get in arrears.

Thinking about it I could also use the 200 allocated towards the loan towards the nursery bill then I wouldn't get into arrears at all!

That sounds sensible. Shall put it on my list of things to do today.

Crunch xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 18th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Didn't manage to get it done today but will do tomorrow.

So a recap on the predicted loan values over the next few months after last nights realisation...

Currently 11,600
    2nd November - 11,300
    2nd December - 10,800
    2nd January - 10,300

it would be nice to start the new year at 10,000 exactly.....

Crunchy x
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 19th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Exciting news!!

My Pre-pregnancy jeans fit me again thanks to SlimmingWorld and running!! Dd is 2 soon so it's been a long time coming. It means I don't have to buy any more now at least until after Christmas!

We also had a meter reading and revised bill from our energy supplier and our bill has gone down 10 a month!! Husband and I both reckon we could get it down a bit more by using washing machine and dishwasher only in the depths of night so shall work on this.

I have also devised a new menu planning template that should work for us and stop us going over on our budget every month. This is the big one to tackle.

Hope everyone is having a good day xx
    0% Credit card 950/1096
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter