Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    jwil
    We are big on recycling and reuse in our house.

We cleared a relative's hoarded house with very little going to landfill. Everything was sent to charity, ebayed, car booted, freecycled or as a last resort recycled or binned. We donated their book collection and it is now in a national organisation's reference library in their name.

Much of our house has been furnished with second hand items from car boots and ebay. The same with a lot of clothing and toys.

My books come from car boots and I resell when finished. The same with toys. Clothing is usually donated to charity where they can resell the good stuff and get money for the rags.

I use cloth sanitary protection and used cloth nappies on both of my children. A great saving was made by using the same nappies on both children. I then sold them on again to be reused by someone else, saving me even more money, and them saving money by getting a good bargain.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 27th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I love your post jwil!

Do you have any idea how much the cloth nappies cost you ultimately, factoring in how much you got back for them too?

Has anyone else worked out how much you've saved using cloth nappies?
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 27th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 10,022 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Much of our house has been furnished with second hand items from car boots and ebay. The same with a lot of clothing and toys.
    Originally posted by jwil
    Brilliant. Can I just add if anyone has 'stuff' that may be a little too shabby for charity shops etc, that animal charities may very much welcome them, especially at this time of year as the cold weather approaches, so old duvets, towels, fleeces etc etc.. Or perhaps large plastic containers that might double as litter trays, like old washing up bowls.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 27th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 26,903 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    Cardew

Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Some figures here:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jul/04/nappies-which-best-disposables-reusables-cost-ethics

My son and Daughter in law have had twins and it was a heated debate between them.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,899 Thanks
    beanielou
    I get a lot of very awesome bargains from ebay.
    I recycle everything that I can.
    Just because I dont want something does not others dont!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    jwil
    Brilliant. Can I just add if anyone has 'stuff' that may be a little too shabby for charity shops etc, that animal charities may very much welcome them, especially at this time of year as the cold weather approaches, so old duvets, towels, fleeces etc etc.. Or perhaps large plastic containers that might double as litter trays, like old washing up bowls.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Good thinking, I think we did send some towels etc to animal charities, but the plastic containers wouldn't occur to me, thank you!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 27th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    jwil
    I love your post jwil!

Do you have any idea how much the cloth nappies cost you ultimately, factoring in how much you got back for them too?

I'm not sure to be honest. We did it from a waste point of view rather than a money-saving thing. We didn't have to worry about a bin full of stinky nappies which would sit in landfill for centuries.

It was only 2 extra washes a week at 60 degrees. I don't have a tumble drier so all nappies were line dried. So additional costs in that sense were minimal.

Using them for 2 children essentially halved the cost of the nappies. I sold some for more than I paid for them, others about half, and a few for minimal amounts.

I did use disposables too though sometimes, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 29th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Great ideas!

I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 29th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    It's the last day of Recycle Week this week. I know I'm preaching to the converted on the Green and Ethical board but for anyone else the end of Recycle week is hopefully just the start of a new waste reduction challenge

Join the MSE Forum
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 29th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 10,022 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    It's the last day of Recycle Week this week.
    Perhaps the idea could be used over and over again?

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Perhaps the idea could be used over and over again?
    Recycling isn't timely. Simplistic, I know, but the more we can encourage people to reduce and recycle waste the bigger impact we can have on peoples' pockets and our environment

Join the MSE Forum
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 10,022 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Recycling isn't timely. Simplistic, I know, but the more we can encourage people to reduce and recycle waste the bigger impact we can have on peoples' pockets and our environment
    Absolutely true. But just checking, you did get the joke?

What I've found funny is that my father complains about re-cycling, and all the bother etc etc, but growing up we re-used everything, and he was the master of recycling one item into another. He even admits that cleaning out the shed and throwing away all the bits of wood 'that'll come in handy one day' nearly brings a tear to his eye. So it's odd that filling a single bag (very easy recycling system in Cardiff) is seen as a pain. All a matter of perspective I suppose.

I'm in my element packing cardboard boxes flat. How sad.

• marrowgirl
    • By marrowgirl 3rd Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    marrowgirl
    just bumping this thread as I enjoyed reading it all and adding to the things I need to do. A few little ones from me.

*I use the oil cleansing method for cleaning my face and taking off make-up. A bit of coconut oil (decanted into a recycled face cream pot) and a flannel. I moisturise with coconut oil and use it on my hair too.
    *we have a veggie swap at work. Those of us with gardens or allotments bring in our excess veg/fruit and swap it for something we can use. It also means if anyone buys a 3 for 2 deal at a supermarket we can all take advantage of that too so none goes to waste.
    * our company is poor at recycling (I hate to see the skip outside) so my colleagues and I try to re-use what would get thrown away. E.g we use the plastic sheeting from packaging on our greenhouses or for covering our plants over winter. We do ask the boss before taking anything though!
    *we use Furoshiki (fabric wrapping) for presents. So far mine is just old scarves from charity shops but I want to try printing/painting on an old sheet and cutting it up (then overlocking on a sewing machine). Otherwise my pressies to people have tended to be "wrapped" in a pretty bamboo or canvas bag which they can reuse for shopping etc.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin