Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 6,066Posts
    • 10,147Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 36
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Another One Bites The Dust: Cost Of Wind Power Cancels Kansas Coal Facility Expansion

Even the Koch brothers with all their money can’t fight the benefits that renewable energy adds to a utility company’s bottom line.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hi All

Interesting comments from Rolls Royce following the offshore wind price mic drop ...

www.reuters.com

... don't think it'll fit at the back of my garage though! ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Some light reading on nukes if you can stay awake, but here's the bit on SMR's:-

The World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2017

Conclusion on Small Modular Reactors

Since 2015, when WNISR included a section on small modular reactors, there have been two kinds of developments. First, as we have documented above, a few SMR designs have progressed towards construction as well as completion; one SMR project (in China) is reportedly to start up in 2018. But the implication of this progress is questionable because of the second development, namely the decline in even the stated interest, let alone the actual market for SMRs that can be backed up with financial commitment. A good example of the decline in interest can be seen in the case of the HTR-PM being built in China. When construction of that reactor started, there was talk about building 18 more such reactors. That has vanished, presumably because of the realization of the high costs of electricity from these power plants. Unfavorable economics is also the reason for there being no market for the SMART reactor in South Korea.

The decline in interest in SMRs is, of course, related to the decline in the interest in large nuclear reactors as well. The problems associated with mPower and the Westinghouse SMR are, in the final analysis, related to the absence of a market for SMRs in the United States. Likewise, many developing countries claim to be interested in SMRs but few seem to be willing to invest in the construction of one.

This latter factor has made it more difficult, perhaps impossible, for any SMR design to become a commercial success. This is clearly illustrated by the saga of mPower. Despite the expenditure of hundreds of millions of dollars, some of the biggest companies in the nuclear business could not succeed in commercializing a reactor design that had been described by The New York Times as being in the lead in the race to develop SMRs, in part because it had “the Energy Department and the T.V.A. in its camp”.

Of course, with powerful entities like the U.S. Department of Energy continuing to financially support the construction of SMRs, it is possible that one or two SMR projects might even start getting built over the next decade or beyond. But it appears that such projects would have to be supported by government funding in a major way if they are to be completed. There is no sign at this point that SMRs could play any major role in tomorrow’s electricity generating business.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Renewable Energy Sources To Account For 85% Of Global Electricity Production By 2050

“Until 2050 the electricity share of energy demand will grow from 18% to 40% yet this transformation is not happening fast enough. Speeding up the acceleration of electrifying sectors like heat and transport will be one vital measure to put the brakes on global warming. The climate challenge is not an engineering challenge, but one of governance. We call upon all stakeholders to maximise the electrification of their operations.”
    So leccy is just a small(ish) part of the problem, but 85% of 40% is a massive increase by 2050.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    RE plus storage getting cheaper, and options greater than just Li-ion.

VIZn claims to deliver energy storage for renewables at record low price

Installing a 30MW, 4-hour duration VIZn zinc-iron battery storage system to a new 100MW solar PV plant could, through a US$0.04 power purchase agreement (PPA), result in a 7% internal rate of return (IRR), VIZn claimed. Energy-Storage.News was told by the company’s spokesman that this IRR included total turnkey costs and ongoing operational costs.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    For a quick(ish) lesson on RE today and the future, this article is absolutely great. Worth a read, and a click-on and ponder of each graphic, which are very educational.

Also worth noting the IEA projections. They expect solar to become the leading source of leccy in the future, despite all of their projections being linear, and massively wrong. Even in 2016 they were projecting annual deployments of PV of approx 50GWp pa through to 2040, but 2017 will be around 100GWp.

Epic — Wind Turbines On Steroids, + Idiotic Clean Energy Forecasts (Charts)

• Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 21st Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    For a quick(ish) lesson on RE today and the future, this article is absolutely great. Worth a read, and a click-on and ponder of each graphic, which are very educational.

Also worth noting the IEA projections. They expect solar to become the leading source of leccy in the future, despite all of their projections being linear, and massively wrong. Even in 2016 they were projecting annual deployments of PV of approx 50GWp pa through to 2040, but 2017 will be around 100GWp.

Epic — Wind Turbines On Steroids, + Idiotic Clean Energy Forecasts (Charts)
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Very interesting. And does make one wonder what on earth the government was thinking when it pulled the plug on much of it's RE support and threw it's weight behind Hinckley Point.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 21st Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 19,757 Posts
    • 90,261 Thanks
    michaels
    Industrial policy init.

This is curious:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-41346998
    Environmental protesters have climbed on to a ship at a Kent port transporting diesel cars from Germany.
    Greenpeace said campaigners had boarded the ship at Sheerness in Kent and were preventing the unloading of the cars.
    The group said it would not leave the ship until Volkswagen agreed to return the cars to Germany.
    More than 40 people are "attempting to immobilise all the VW diesel cars by removing their keys", a Greenpeace spokesman said.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 21st Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    zeupater
    Industrial policy init.

This is curious:
    Originally posted by michaels
    Hi

How things change .. I remember when you'd only ever see GreenPeace activists in VW Campers or Beetles, many sporting an eclectic mixture of necklace jewellery including the obligatory VW & CND logos ...

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    You're showing your age dear.. I believe VW had a new potential vehicle for that demographic at the recent motor show - an EV called Buzz, or something similar, ISTR. Those of us who wait for the second-hand market may have a long wait.

And thinking of waiting a bit, has anyone built an electric hearse yet? Ideal use, I'd have thought, not many motorway miles there..
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    And thinking of waiting a bit, has anyone built an electric hearse yet? Ideal use, I'd have thought, not many motorway miles there..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    The technology keeps coming to a dead end, sometimes several times a day.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    lstar337
    Industrial policy init.

This is curious:
    Originally posted by michaels
    Dupes falling for the anti-diesel manure being spread by the government and the press. Funny how government/press jump sides between which is more evil diesel or petrol, and the rubes simply follow, forgetting that only a few years ago it was a completely different story.

I drive a diesel, it has a lower C02 output than equivalent power petrols, does many more miles to the gallon, and has a pretty sophisticated particulate filter system too. I don't feel guilty for driving it. I spent every penny I had to buy a car that I was told at the time was the best for the environment at the price point, and I get pretty annoyed when people try to make out I'm doing something wrong. I did the best I could (I fit into the category of fuel poverty) at the time. I would love an EV, it would be perfect for my short daily commute, but how can a poor person manage it?

Still this current demonising of diesels while seemingly ignoring the equally awful petrol cars does a good job of drawing peoples attention away from government failures on the environment.

I am rapidly losing respect for Greenpeace. Each story I read smacks of an organisation that is more interested in making headlines than making a difference.

Sorry for the rant everybody.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 22nd Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    NigeWick
    I would love an EV, it would be perfect for my short daily commute, but how can a poor person manage it?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Autonomous electric vehicles providing Transport as a Service in about ten years time according to Tony Seba.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 27th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Some big investments in renewables, EV's and energy efficiency in France.

France to spend €7bn on renewables by 2022

The French energy revolution is gearing up: from next year begins a €20 billion investment plan that will steer €7 billion into the country’s renewable energy industry, with the remaining €13 billion intended to improve the nation’s energy efficiency and lower the carbon output of its vehicle fleet.

These encouraging investment goals are part of a wider €57 billion plan to boost France’s economy over the next five years, and the sum earmarked for clean energies has been welcomed by France’s wind and solar industries.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Wind Energy Could Power 30% Of Europe’s Needs By 2030, Reports WindEurope

The low, central and high scenarios are actually 21.6%, 29.6% and 37.6%.

[Curious that they all end in .6, isn't that a 1 in 1,000 chance? But I digress.]

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Promising news as CO2 emissions fail to rise again, suggesting a possible peak, rather than a one off.

Global carbon emissions stood still in 2016, offering climate hope

The flat CO2 emissions in 2016 follow similar near-standstills in 2014 and 2015. This lack of growth is unprecedented in a time when the global economy is growing. As the number of years of flat emissions grows, scientists are more confident a peak has been reached, rather than a temporary halt. In July 2016, senior economists said China's huge coal burning had peaked, marking a historic turning point in efforts to tame climate change.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 28th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    zeupater
    Some big investments in renewables, EV's and energy efficiency in France.

France to spend €7bn on renewables by 2022
    Hi

Interestingly that puts the scale of renewables in the UK into context ... Dong energy alone is looking to invest £6bn in the UK between now & 2020 .... dongenergy.co.uk press-release

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Some more good news for the UK.

New windfarm 'officially' opens, and it's got batteries.

GIANT VATTENFALL WIND FARM COMBINES BLADES WITH BATTERIES

and 2017 Q2 sets a new record for renewables contribution to leccy generation.

New renewable energy record set: 30% of all UK electricity from clean sources

• ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 28th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer

That Wind Farm is fairly close to where we live. We can see the turbine blades turning when we go for walks on the mountain we live on and from the top of the Dare Valley Park. Counted upto about 65 so far. They look quite impressive.

Good to know that some of the electricity we need to import if probably coming from them.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 28th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer

Item on the BBC local news tonight and on the BBC website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41417978

Like this comment:
    "I think they should all be painted green ( stems ) and topped yellow so they look like giant dafodils"
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 28th Sep 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    theboylard
    Item on the BBC local news tonight and on the BBC website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41417978

Like this comment:
    "I think they should all be painted green ( stems ) and topped yellow so they look like giant dafodils"
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    I read that end word as giant "sex toys"!!!

It's late. I'm tired having just got in, plus up early tomorrow - my eyes are obviously playing tricks on me!!!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,977Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter