Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 5,794Posts
    • 9,845Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 34
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 7th Aug 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    lstar337
    Now for the good news. We see these subsidies, but what we don't see are the externalities of FF burning, such as health costs on the NHS (subsidy for coal) and spending on AGW mitigation (such as renewable subsidies) which is a subsidy for CO2 emissions by FF burning.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Great! So government costs go down, but our costs go up.

A sort of stealth re-distribution of funds from our pockets into the back pockets of wealthy politicians.

This is good news Mart?
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 7th Aug 17, 1:48 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke

A sort of stealth re-distribution of funds from our pockets into the back pockets of wealthy politicians.

This is good news Mart?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    I think this is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read on these boards. Or am I missing the point completely?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Aug 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981

This is good news Mart?
    Hiya, perhaps something got lost in translation. What I'm saying is that whilst we see the subsidies for renewables, and hence we are told by the Torygraph that it's 'bad', what we don't see are the subsidies that go to FF's.

Since they both come from us, either openly as a levy on our energy bills, or 'less openly' as general tax and spend such as NHS health costs, or shortened lives, reduced earnings etc, then there is some balance ... in that as we pay more RE subsidies, we will hopefully pay less FF subsidies. Then eventually we'll pay very little RE subsidies, but still pay less FF subsidies.

So the good news isn't that we pay any of the subsidies, but that the increase in RE subsidies will result in savings elsewhere.

Though I appreciate I wasn't very clear, and this explanation isn't particularly good either.

[Edit: On re-reading, I can see that I failed to conclude that paragraph properly, to explain why it's good news, or at the least how the bad news is equalled out by good news. So I've edited the post and hope that it makes more sense now. M.]
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 07-08-2017 at 3:22 PM. Reason: Added an edit.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 7th Aug 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    lstar337
    I think this is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read on these boards. Or am I missing the point completely?
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    My interpretation of what Mart said (which could be wrong) is that the burning of FF goes down, therefore cost for other external services such as NHS (just picked as a quick example) goes down meaning lower outgoings for the government, but in return our taxes will not reduce (my assumption), in fact we are paying an extra tax on our energy bills.

More in, less out. The surplus no doubt finds its way in to a new duck pond for some incompetent plonker.

WOuld be interesting to see FF subsidies listed on the bill wouldn't it?
    Last edited by lstar337; 07-08-2017 at 4:02 PM.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Aug 17, 4:04 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    WOuld be interesting to see FF subsidies listed on the bill wouldn't it?
    Total gamechanger I suspect, nobody (give or take a few oddballs) would moan about RE subsidies ever again.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 7th Aug 17, 4:05 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    lstar337
    So the good news isn't that we pay any of the subsidies, but that the increase in RE subsidies will result in savings elsewhere.
    And my inelegant post was trying to point out that the savings will not likely be passed on to us, but be absorbed by the crooked in charge.

I'm glad green subsidies are happening, but the Torygraph seemed to be painting them in a bad light with all the blame going to solar and wind power.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Aug 17, 5:32 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Forget the title, the idea here is much bigger.

Solar and storage could save homes £600 each year, new report finds

The report, released by Swansea University’s Specific Innovation and Knowledge Centre, claims that an integrated system comprising solar PV roof installations, battery storage and solar heat collection technology on south-facing walls could cut energy consumption by more than 60%.

The findings are backed up by a working demonstration project completed on a school in Swansea. The ‘Active Classroom’, as it has been dubbed, has generated more energy than it has consumed since receiving the complete system six months ago.

It is also based on designs for a social housing development called Active Homes Neath, put forward by the housing association Pobl Group.
    The report goes on to claim that if 1 million homes were built in the UK to the same standard, peak generating capacity required would be reduced by as much as 3GW.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Aug 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    UK storage (just like world storage) is currently small, but gaining pace:

Utility scale pipeline offers a diverse future for UK storage

What we can learn from this landscape is that the market is continuing to transform and as projects move towards completion we are seeing a wider range of business models and applications. The installed capacity will increase quickly as we start to see the larger projects being completed and while we do expect to continue to see a range of sizes built, larger projects will account for the highest proportion of the overall installed capacity.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Aug 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Forget the title, the idea here is much bigger.
    Like the adverts on my tablet, save £350! when my energy bills are only around £250 a year.

Mind you, I'm cheating a bit as I have a nominal £10 a month budget line for my woodburning for firelighters, maintenance, a few briquets, new chain for the saw etc. This year my capital expenditure included a luvverly Fiskars splitting axe, and I'm wondering if I can hide it under 'Insurances' or 'Home Security'.

But yes, we should be doing so much better with new build, except we have such a limp and short-term government.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 10th Aug 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    zeupater
    Like the adverts on my tablet, save £350! when my energy bills are only around £250 a year.

Mind you, I'm cheating a bit as I have a nominal £10 a month budget line for my woodburning for firelighters, maintenance, a few briquets, new chain for the saw etc. This year my capital expenditure included a luvverly Fiskars splitting axe, and I'm wondering if I can hide it under 'Insurances' or 'Home Security'.

But yes, we should be doing so much better with new build, except we have such a limp and short-term government.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    ... firelighters ? ... that's a bit extravagant - must have money to burn ...

What's wrong with newspaper, sticks and bellows ? ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 11th Aug 17, 5:20 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Al Gore: Trump has failed to knock Paris climate deal off course

Donald Trump has failed to knock the Paris climate agreement off course despite his efforts to derail it, according to the former US vice president Al Gore.

“The US will meet its commitments [on emissions] in spite of Donald Trump,” he said in London, where his new film An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power was released on Friday. “Every other country has pledged [to combat climate change]. I think the psychological message is that the train has left the station. The signal sent to investors, businesses, individuals and civil society is extraordinarily powerful.”

He said the US president was now isolated and unable to prevent global action on climate change, despite his announcement of the US’s withdrawal from the 2015 Paris agreement.

“I was very concerned at his speech – I feared that some other countries would use it as an excuse [to delay or withdraw from the Paris agreement]. I was extremely gratified that the rest of the world redoubled their commitment to Paris,” he told journalists.

“I think he has isolated himself. Even today in the US, members of his own political party in the House [of Representatives] and the Senate are beginning to separate themselves from him, and why wouldn’t they?”

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Combination of new (and an old) articles that I've been pondering this last week, as they seem to suggest that the RE package is starting to close down the problems and 'holes' that are often used to attack it.

Costs won't fall for ever - But at £39/MWh they won't need to -
    Germany Awards 1 Gigawatt Of Onshore Wind, Costs Fall By 25%

Renewables can't stabilise a grid - AEMO Will Trial Ability Of Wind Farms To Stabilize South Australia’s Grid

Renewable subsidies cost a lot - Solar & Wind Subsidies = Less Than $0 In USA … Because Clean Energy Saves Lives!

We need huge rotational mass from thermal plants in case of a Black Start - First Black Start On Germany’s Grid

We need huge rotational mass from thermal plants to maintain grid frequency - UK to host Europe’s largest battery flywheel system

Renewables will need a lot of storage to make them viable - Morgan Stanley Predicts Market For Grid Storage Will Explode In Next 3 Years

But renewables costs don't include the intermittency costs that have to be added on - Solar intermittency costs removed by 2030 with the help of battery storage argues new report

None of it matters as China is opening more coal plants - China Halts Construction On 150 Gigawatts Of New Coal Power Plants

Oil and gas tax receipts help the UK - North Sea industry cost UK taxpayers £396m in 2016

Times they are a changin (still) 53yrs later!

• goodfella321
    • By goodfella321 31st Aug 17, 9:29 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    goodfella321

Originally posted by silverwhistle
    It's a shame the environment has to suffer for your low heating costs.

https://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/is-burning-wood-for-heat-really-green.html
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 1st Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pentland-firth-tidal-power-station-electricity-generation-energy-renewables-a7922141.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Nice to see something that isn't about Solar nor Wind.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 6th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    article suggesting 25pc-50pc reduction in energy bills possible if we upgraded and changed where appropriate.

Better energy efficiency measures could cut UK costs by £7.5bn

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    zeupater
    article suggesting 25pc-50pc reduction in energy bills possible if we upgraded and changed where appropriate.

Better energy efficiency measures could cut UK costs by £7.5bn
    Hi

Only £7.5bn ? ... If the consumption detailed in the site linked below were to become typical then 25%-50% is well short of the mark !!

Energy Efficient Home: Electricity Jan 2011-Sept 2017

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 6th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    theboylard
    Missed this a couple of weeks ago,

'Cyborg' bacteria deliver green fuel source from sunlight
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi All

Comparison of two US states view of a path to 100% renewable electricity .... https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060059627

I find the different approaches and source mixes interesting, however the variation in requirement translation & definitions is a little worrying .... and our Government encourages devolution of powers here ...

HTH
    Z
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    don't go counting those chickens yet, but monday could be interesting:-

DONG Energy urges government to confirm future for renewables scheme

Monday's auction results are expected to deliver proof of a stunning cost reduction in the offshore wind industry over the last two years, with some analysts expecting the average strike price to come in below the £70 per MWh mark. That previous auction in 2015 delivered an average strike price of £117 per MWh.
    for context this 15yr deal compares to the 35yr hinkley subsidy at £92.50. anything sub £90 would be remarkable this soon, and sub £80 astonishing. sub £70 ...... shirley not?

But Wright warned that further cost reductions will be contingent on there being a stable policy mechanism in place to give investors certainty over the industry's future.
    for context this requires a 'strong and stable' government policy on renewables in the uk ........ [insert your own jokes here]

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 9th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    NigeWick
    for context this 15yr deal compares to the 35yr hinkley subsidy at £92.50. anything sub £90 would be remarkable this soon, and sub £80 astonishing. sub £70 ...... shirley not?
    It'll be wind farms for Hinckley Point then? KoffKoff
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,535Posts Today

7,380Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin