Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 6,052Posts
    • 10,126Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 31
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Once again, I disagree. If government got their finger out (which they won't), I reckon it could be as little as five years.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    I admire your optimism, but I don't think that scale of deployment is possible. Over the last 10 years RE has gone from 5% of leccy generation to 25%.

I'm pretty sure we could double that rate, as off-shore wind is managing about 1% pa, PV did have a 1% year when about 4GWp was deployed, on-shore wind can do 1%pa, that's about 1.6GW of capacity roll out, and the tidal lagoon package might be manageable in 10yrs which is worth about 10%.

So that's 40% more in the next 10yrs, but only with massive support from the government, which seems unlikley, taking us to 65% RE for leccy by late 2020's.

We also have to consider how much other energy will move to leccy, such as EV's and domestic heating. Just the car fleet would add 20% to leccy demand, though hopefully it would also reduce demand by 10% for petrol/diesel refining.

I'd very much like to see a world without future nuclear as it's not clean, doesn't look cheap, and if something goes wrong despite the likelyhood being tiny, the effects and costs are staggering.

But, for me, if a country has nukes, and they are operating safely, then I'd say stick it out and keep milking the low carbon leccy for now.

But ..... I'm not disagreeing with the principle of what you are saying, I just don't know if the scale is possible, but would very much enjoy being proved wrong.

We've mentioned Tony Seba elsewhere, and his calcs on the disruptive effects of PV. He points out PV accounts for 1.5% of energy supply, but that the amount of PV has been doubling every two years, so theoretically, 6 to 7 doublings, could mean 100% of energy from PV by 2030.

Though it did occur to me that the factories wouldn't want to produce at that rate given that PV will probably have a 30 to 40 year life expectancy, as they'd have no replacement business/market by 2030 and most of them would have to close, but the theory is there, especially given the already very low price of PV and PV generation.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 14th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    NigeWick
    We've mentioned Tony Seba elsewhere, and his calcs on the disruptive effects of PV. He points out PV accounts for 1.5% of energy supply, but that the amount of PV has been doubling every two years, so theoretically, 6 to 7 doublings, could mean 100% of energy from PV by 2030.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Five solar doublings plus wind, wave, hydro & batteries and we should just about be there.

But as we've both said, the political will isn't there so it will be led by market forces as the costs come down for solar & batteries.

As an aside, I tried using the charger timer on my new Leaf and loaded up with Economy 7 from Ecotricity. Tootling round town is working out at a fracsh under 2p per mile. I'll now start charging using solar when my 4kW system is making enough for the car to take 3kW.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lstar337
    I refer you to what happened in New York and Washington a few years back. A light aircraft packed with explosives flown by a nutter taking off from a nearby small airfield would have no real problem. Or, they could buy an old armoured car/tank, pack that full of explosives and drive through the fence and brickwork.
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, just why would they bother?

Buy a small tank or aircraft, or simply do something else with just as much impact that requires neither of those things?

Simple choice really.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 15th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    NigeWick
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, just why would they bother?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    The clue is in the words "terrorist" and "terrorism" who are unfathomable as to what they will bother with.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    BNEF have issued their latest report on energy, New Energy Outlook 2017.

There's a look at it on Cleantechnica, which points out the simply staggering cost reductions expected for wind (especially off-shore) and PV.

Solar & Wind Costs To Plummet And Global Emissions To Peak In 2026, Forecasts BNEF

Bloomberg points out that solar energy is already as cheap as coal in countries like Germany, Australia, the United States, Spain, and Italy, but by 2021 solar is expected to be as cheap as coal in countries like China, India, Mexico, the UK, and Brazil.
    Similarly, costs for onshore and offshore wind are also expected to fall over the next few years. Bloomberg predicts that onshore wind energy costs will fall fast, dropping 47% by 2040, on top of the existing 30% price decrease onshore wind has seen over the past eight years. However, the bigger story is that offshore wind costs will absolutely plummet, dropping 71% by 2040, on top of existing price decreases we have already seen in places like Germany and the UK.

• michaels
    • By michaels 16th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 19,739 Posts
    • 90,113 Thanks
    michaels
    Five solar doublings plus wind, wave, hydro & batteries and we should just about be there.

But as we've both said, the political will isn't there so it will be led by market forces as the costs come down for solar & batteries.

As an aside, I tried using the charger timer on my new Leaf and loaded up with Economy 7 from Ecotricity. Tootling round town is working out at a fracsh under 2p per mile. I'll now start charging using solar when my 4kW system is making enough for the car to take 3kW.
    If you charge from a standard plug socket like us it only pulls 2.2kwh which our pv does this time of year between 11am and 7pm.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 16th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    If you charge from a standard plug socket like us it only pulls 2.2kwh which our pv does this time of year between 11am and 7pm.
    Originally posted by michaels
    I've got my 2.2kW EV charger connected to the auxiliary output socket on the proportional immersion controller. So whenever there is excess power available it can be used to charge the car. My aux out socket is not proportional so there is no problem connecting it to the car's charger.

The logic of my controller is such that if the solar panels generate more than 3kW excess (the immersion load) the aux socket turns on. When the car takes 2.2kW, the proportional controller cuts down the power to the immersion as necessary. Should subsequently the solar panel output reduce below 2.2kW, the aux socket turns off and all the excess power is diverted back to the immersion.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Drax may convert it's remaining 3 coal boiler units to gas:

Drax says may convert coal units to run on gas

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This action by China alone, may be enough to start the the EV disruption of the car industry. Once started it'll be unstoppable.

China: 12% Electric Cars By 2020 … Or Else

• michaels
    • By michaels 17th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 19,739 Posts
    • 90,113 Thanks
    michaels
    This action by China alone, may be enough to start the the EV disruption of the car industry. Once started it'll be unstoppable.

China: 12% Electric Cars By 2020 … Or Else
    I suspect China see electric cars as a way for their auto industry to leap-frog existing producers and spearhead a global sales push.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 17th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 19,739 Posts
    • 90,113 Thanks
    michaels
    I've got my 2.2kW EV charger connected to the auxiliary output socket on the proportional immersion controller. So whenever there is excess power available it can be used to charge the car. My aux out socket is not proportional so there is no problem connecting it to the car's charger.

The logic of my controller is such that if the solar panels generate more than 3kW excess (the immersion load) the aux socket turns on. When the car takes 2.2kW, the proportional controller cuts down the power to the immersion as necessary. Should subsequently the solar panel output reduce below 2.2kW, the aux socket turns off and all the excess power is diverted back to the immersion.

Dave F
    Originally posted by Dave Fowler
    Sounds like a good set up - if I was picky I might worry whether frequent on/off of the power whilst charging might be bad for the car charging unit or batteries.

Our set up is less flexible, the iboost in the loft sends export to the immersion and we plug the car in during the period when the panels could be producing more than 2kwh, possibly being a bit flexible depending on the level of sunshine and how much juice the car needs.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 18th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    NigeWick
    I suspect China see electric cars as a way for their auto industry to leap-frog existing producers and spearhead a global sales push.
    Originally posted by michaels
    That'll be partly it I believe. They are also aware of the pollution they suffered when becoming a global producer of stuff. Now they've made their money they are spending it on cleaning up their atmosphere with renewables & EVs.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Bit of energy saving, re-use, keeping cool .... tip here, and very cheap. You can keep the heat down by putting reflective foil over the windows ....

sounds like a bit of a fuss .....?

Well, check out Mart's tip (oh er missus) go to a cheapy store and buy half a dozen of those foldaway heat reflectors for car windscreens, they only cost about £1 each, have rubber suckers that stick easy to glass, and usually have elasticated straps to keep them folded away when not in use, which can be stretched around door or window corners, then closed in place.

They are long enough to cover most of a full length glass door, and two (landscape) should cover a pretty big window.

• theboylard
    • By theboylard 21st Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    theboylard
    Good tip Mart, but I think the tin foil hat brigade will be shouting!!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 23rd Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 19,739 Posts
    • 90,113 Thanks
    michaels
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40372613

Hinkley Point Deal Risky and Expensive
    Who'd have thought it?!

There is also the (low likelihood high impact) risk that one of the Canary Islands collapse and send a tidal wave along the S and W coasts of the UK - is this covered in the design?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 27th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/27/hywind-project-scotland-worlds-first-floating-windfarm-norway

Amazing. Did I post before Martyn? Whilst we're about it shall we have a sweepstake on who will be first to post below the line? I'm going for Raykalon..
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 27th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/27/hywind-project-scotland-worlds-first-floating-windfarm-norway

Amazing. Did I post before Martyn? Whilst we're about it shall we have a sweepstake on who will be first to post below the line? I'm going for Raykalon..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    You beat me, I had it lined up for a read, but got distracted arguing with the trolls.

I have to say I'm quite positive about the huge increase in negativity on the Guardian comments this last 12 months, as I suspect this is due to them having their backs to the walls and simply fighting like crazy as the weight of reality slowly crushes them.

Perhaps in 2020 they will still be explaining why RE and storage won't ever work, but hopefully nobody will be listening to them by then (assuming anyone does today).

Gotta love renewables.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 28th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Gotta love renewables.
    Seconded. Apparently "seconded" is too short a reply. Therefore "double dog seconded."
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Looks like renewables are still replacing about 1% of leccy generation per year, though the impact of the cuts on PV and on-shore wind support will probably kick in now, but off-shore wind has a huge amount of capacity on the way.

UK renewables hit record production

New data from the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) revealed that renewables powered 26.6 per cent of the UK's electricity needs between January and March 2017, a one per cent rise on last year's figures and the highest ever level for quarterly production.

Onshore wind led the charge, with production up an impressive 20 per cent on last year thanks to increased capacity, although offshore wind saw production dip by two per cent due to lower wind speeds. Hydro production fell 15 per cent due to low rainfall levels, but solar soared 16 per cent to 1.7TWh on the back of increased capacity.

Meanwhile, levels of energy generated from coal power slumped from 15.8 per cent last year to 11.3 per cent in Q1 2017.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 1st Jul 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I went for a short break in Brighton last autumn and was surprised to see a wind farm being built off-shore, and visible from our sea-front hotel window.
    Having wind farms such as the Rampion and London Array near population centres that will use the power must be a great help in avoiding long distance transmission and balancing the system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter