Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 5,371Posts
    • 9,157Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 27
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Good news:

CO2 emissions stay same for third year in row – despite global economy growing
    Carbon dioxide emissions from energy have not increased for three years in a row even as the global economy grew, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said.

Global emissions from the energy sector were 32.1bn tonnes in 2016, the same as the previous two years, while the economy grew 3.1%, the organisation said.

Bad news, the proverbial supertanker is still going in the wrong direction, and too fast, but we've stopped accelerating.

The pause in emissions growth was welcomed by the IEA, but it warned it was not enough to meet globally-agreed targets to limit temperature rises to below 2C above pre-industrial levels – considered to be the threshold for dangerous climate change.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Energy transition to generate US$10 trillion in benefits by 2050 – IEA/IRENA

The route to decarbonisation in the energy sector will create benefits of US$10 trillion every year by 2050, while requiring only US$1.8 trillion to implement, according to a new joint report from the International Energy Agency (IAE) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
    Costs of the energy transition up to 2050 are projected to reach US$29 trillion by 2050, roughly 0.4% of global GDP, but these costs are expected to then boost global GDP by 0.8% in the same period.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 21st Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    lstar337
    What a load of Sh!t
    Nappy power plant converts tonnes of waste into energy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39333446

A multi-million pound plant has opened in West Bromwich to convert tonnes of used nappies, sanitary protection and incontinence pads into fuel for power stations.
    On a similar note, I followed a tanker carrying human waste on my way to work this morning. It put a huge smile on my face for two reasons. Firstly, the number plate was P200 P00 , Secondly it had a sign on the back saying "This vehicle is carrying political promises".

So good to see a company with a real sense of humour.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 4th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 85,351 Thanks
    michaels
    More demand for batteries:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39478856

No wonder Tesla is worth more than Ford:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39485200
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Apr 17, 1:32 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Tory voters like PV and on-shore wind too, so it's hard to work out exactly who the government is trying to please by virtually destroying these two, cheap, industries?

Tories favour solar and call on government to encourage further renewables deployment

The report also concluded that the majority of Tory voters were proud of the UK’s historic support of climate and environmental initiatives, and 85% wanted the country to maintain renewable energy and energy efficiency targets post-Brexit, as these are currently set at EU level.

This extended to a majority of those surveyed wanting the current government to afford further support to the deployment of renewables despite the raft of cuts enacted shortly after the party’s election victory in May 2015.

Since then solar and onshore wind – the two cheapest renewable generation technologies according to the government’s advisory body, the Committee on Climate Change – have been subjected to various cuts in subsidies which have significantly stymied deployment.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Update on this month's long anticipated (no? Just me then) CfD auction. Off-shore wind is still expected to join PV and on-shore wind by going cheaper than new nuclear, but 9 years sooner than expected:

UK’s bet on offshore wind pays off as costs plunge

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a dramatic reduction in costs to below the £85/MWh target set by Government for 2026,” he said.
    Just for info, I believe the £85 figure is in 2012 monies not 2017 nor 2026 monies, and therefore compares to HPC's original strike price of £92.50, not today's inflationary linked price of about £100.

Yes, it's confusing, or at the very least I am.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Thought some might be interested in a Nov 2016 report on UK electricity generation costs.

I thought page 30 table 7 was very interesting as it gives estimates for PV and wind costs in 2016, 2020 and 2030, but compares the 2013 estimates to the 2016 estimates - *spoiler alert* estimated costs dropped massively during that 3 year period.

BEIS - ELECTRICITY GENERATION COSTS

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 10th Apr 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    zeupater
    Thought some might be interested in a Nov 2016 report on UK electricity generation costs.

I thought page 30 table 7 was very interesting as it gives estimates for PV and wind costs in 2016, 2020 and 2030, but compares the 2013 estimates to the 2016 estimates - *spoiler alert* estimated costs dropped massively during that 3 year period.

Originally posted by Martyn1981
    ... be a decent idea if the authors actually had a clue on what tornado charts are supposed to convey and therefore structure them appropriately ... as it is, they are not 'tornado charts' ...

... says it all really, predictions made not long ago have been proved so wrong in such a short timescale that the same people need to either (a) take the flack and justify themselves -or- (b) make excuses & move the goalposts through rushing out a report update (the age-old responsibility long grass solution)... the problem is that in not understanding basic terminology or how to best convey relative priorities and key impact parameters, they've simply produced something which instils no more confidence in accuracy as the original which has been proved to be totally inadequate .... apart from that, it doesn't really take a moment of genius to see how original assumptions have been manipulated and how they would impact the (in)accuracy of the estimations/predictions .... , , , .... ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 10-04-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • michaels
    • By michaels 11th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 85,351 Thanks
    michaels

Interesting projections - costs have fallen much more quickly than anticipated so future predicted reductions are now smaller.....
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 11th Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Interesting projections - costs have fallen much more quickly than anticipated so future predicted reductions are now smaller.....
    Originally posted by michaels
    As Z points out, the predictions have not been very good. So it could be that costs have fallen rapidly, or also that the earlier estimates were too pessimistic, possibly deliberately given that HPC was being contracted at that point in time.

I would also say that even the lower future estimates look a little questionable already. This month we should find out the latest off-shore wind contracts, with commissioning dates around 2021. Predictions are for £85(ish) in 2012 monies, which would be around £92 today (I think) v's the £106 in the chart for 2020.

There have been £50/MWh off-shore contracts for Dutch farms, but these are shallow coastal waters, and exclude the electricity infrastructure costs, but still interesting.

Also, for on-shore wind and PV the report suggests £60/MWh costs for 2030, but recent German (PV) and Italian (on-shore wind) contracts have been approx £60/MWh this year for pre-2020 commissioning, so 10yrs ahead of this report - but perhaps I'm splitting hairs on that one v's the £63-£67 for 2020 UK estimates.

All criticisms aside, still very positive news, just a shame that the government has taken so long to get closer to the costs, and has pretty much ended most of the support for PV and on-shore wind before they were fully mature ....... so close, so close!

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 11th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    zeupater
    .... just a shame that the government has taken so long to get closer to the costs, and has pretty much ended most of the support for PV and on-shore wind before they were fully mature ....... so close, so close!
    Hi

... The way that changes related to capital investment tax handling for technologies with a high investment to operating cost ratio have been stirred into the mix is extremely interesting too ... very much so when HinckleyC would be included in this subset ....

Anyway, to the above-referenced .... what's the odds on news of UK support for domestic-scale battery storage leaking out over the summer ... something along the lines of (say) £500/kWh of usable storage capped at (say) 50% of fully installed cost, payable in quarterly instalments over (say) 7 years ?? ... it'd certainly fit in with the basic structure of (say) RHI etc and could possibly launched under the name (say) RSI (no, not that RSI, a different one !!) and would certainly leverage the potential of existing microgeneration to address peak demand within a reasonable timescale and at a reasonable cost, which at an estimated £3billion(max) even at current costs would have far more immediate grid-balancing impact than the £12billion smart-meter debacle due to there being no co-reliance on consumerisation or uptake of smart-products and/or home automation ...

Just speculation, of course ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • michaels
    • By michaels 12th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 85,351 Thanks
    michaels
    Would it only be for those with micro generation or would you be able to package it with e7 and it would again be a way for home owners with a bit of capital to make a nice profit?
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 12th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    Would it only be for those with micro generation or would you be able to package it with e7 and it would again be a way for home owners with a bit of capital to make a nice profit?
    And the owners of power generating stations built to provide power at peak times don't make a profit?

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 12th Apr 17, 10:57 AM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

Can't see how anyone could make a profit out of a scheme with that kind of structure considering that there'd be a cap specifically to prevent it and individuals would provide the initial capital funding - for example ....

A (say) 13.5kWh system installed for £6350 would attract a potential £6750(500*13.5) of support, but the cap would limit this to £3175(6350/2) to be paid quarterly over 7 years ....

... However, someone purchasing their system from an opportunist rip-off supplier may be offered a smaller system with just 2kWh of storage for the same kind of price, in which case the support would be £1000(500*2) over 7 years, the cap wouldn't apply and therefore the integrity of the funding would be maintained ...

Of course, such a domestic scale funding scheme would be confined by various other criteria, maybe these would link the scheme's maximum storage capacity directly to the microgeneration capacity, maybe in the case of grid-tied pv this could logically be around 4kWh of usable storage per kWp of installed pv capacity ...

Regarding the E7/E10 overnight tariffs .... of course, utilising overnight 'cheap' tariff supply to charge the batteries in the winter would supplement lower pv generation and therefore maintain the ability to reduce peak demand - it's completely down to the capability of the unit's management system and how it's set-up ... it could even be a further condition of scheme access ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 12-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 12th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 18,546 Posts
    • 85,351 Thanks
    michaels
    Thinking about it - if we do need a subsidy to help energy supply and demand move into balance I would sooner it is paid even to the undeserving middle classes than to the French state Nuclear reactor company....
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 12th Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    zeupater
    Thinking about it - if we do need a subsidy to help energy supply and demand move into balance I would sooner it is paid even to the undeserving middle classes than to the French state Nuclear reactor company....
    Hi

True, but more than that it's a relatively inexpensive prospect. The £3billion(max) scheme mentioned earlier would result from almost all of the current pv installation base joining the scheme with 13.5kWh systems each capable of providing a peak output of 5kW. Essentially that would provide a potential to temporarily provide a maximum peak output of just under 5GW, so not insignificant considering that it's higher than HinckleyC ...

In reality, take-up would initially still be pretty slow ... I'd be surprised if take-up was over 20% of those with installed pv systems within 5 years and average capacity was over 5kWh, which would likely result in a scheme cost of <£500million giving a reasonable daily peak power demand reduction ranging from 200MW to 500MW ...

As mentioned earlier, all speculation, but speculation based on carefully reading between the lines of various reports such as the BEIS one referenced by Mart, taking special regard to the referenced sources as they often prove to be more interesting than the reports themselves ...

HTH
    Z
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Apr 17, 2:52 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Looking on the bright side, storage, especially if targeted towards the evening peak, would reduce the average price of leccy for everyone by peak lopping.

The NG does (or should?) choose cheaper leccy first, so any reduction in demand at any given time removes (or prevents) supply from higher priced sources.

Subsidies for storage might not be true subsidies at all, but rather a pre-payment by govt/leccy bodies based on future national savings.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 13th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,638 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Looking on the bright side, storage, especially if targeted towards the evening peak, would reduce the average price of leccy for everyone by peak lopping.
    There are those who think that in a few years roof top solar and battery storage will cheaper than distribution cost per kWh. Remind me, why do we need Hinkley Point C?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • warrenb
    • By warrenb 13th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    warrenb
    I am literally sitting here waiting for a suitable battery solution within price to come along and I would bite your hand off to get it. I am still quite tempted by the Growatt SP2000.

I like the fact it is DC side, so just plug and play and you don't loose any FIT payments with it, because what doesn't get to the meter during the day , will as the battery feeds the inverter after dark.
    Living in supposedly sunny Kent
    14*285 JA Solar Percium Panels
    Solis 4kw inverter
    ESE facing with a 40 degree slope
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 13th Apr 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    zeupater
    .... Remind me, why do we need Hinkley Point C?
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    .... because we tend to elect clueless politicians & employ naive civil servants, both groups having a much lower incentive (possibly even intellectual ability!) to perform their roles effectively than those they interact with ... trade bodies, lobby groups, multinationals etc ... after-all when did you last hear of a politician or civil servant losing their job as opposed to being moved aside or promoted when they underperformed ...

Standard Operating Procedure ... problem, indecision, report, long grass, bigger problem, indecision, report, panic, consult vested interests, comply, spend, spend more, report, panic, spend even more, achieve solution, pat self on back ... it's repeated time and again, what's more, the vested interest groups know this and have learned to manipulate the existence and scale of the original problem as well as to steer the consultation process towards their favoured position - and of course, to (knowingly) hugely underestimate original costs in order to gain competitive advantage over alternatives only to reap rewards later through introducing 'in project' uncertainty (/panic) ...

HinckleyC ? ... there's a very valid argument that just within the time-span of the latest round of reviews the advent of LED lightbulbs & TVs has reduced grid-demand to an extent where the problem which HinckleyC was to address has simply vanished .... so that probably leaves the project file and all of it's associated costs in the 'political vanity' cabinet ....

Z
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,875Posts Today

9,018Users online

Martin's Twitter