Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 5,298Posts
    • 8,951Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 27
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Good news:

CO2 emissions stay same for third year in row – despite global economy growing
    Carbon dioxide emissions from energy have not increased for three years in a row even as the global economy grew, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said.

Global emissions from the energy sector were 32.1bn tonnes in 2016, the same as the previous two years, while the economy grew 3.1%, the organisation said.

Bad news, the proverbial supertanker is still going in the wrong direction, and too fast, but we've stopped accelerating.

The pause in emissions growth was welcomed by the IEA, but it warned it was not enough to meet globally-agreed targets to limit temperature rises to below 2C above pre-industrial levels – considered to be the threshold for dangerous climate change.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Energy transition to generate US$10 trillion in benefits by 2050 – IEA/IRENA

The route to decarbonisation in the energy sector will create benefits of US$10 trillion every year by 2050, while requiring only US$1.8 trillion to implement, according to a new joint report from the International Energy Agency (IAE) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
    Costs of the energy transition up to 2050 are projected to reach US$29 trillion by 2050, roughly 0.4% of global GDP, but these costs are expected to then boost global GDP by 0.8% in the same period.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 21st Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    lstar337
    What a load of Sh!t
    Nappy power plant converts tonnes of waste into energy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39333446

A multi-million pound plant has opened in West Bromwich to convert tonnes of used nappies, sanitary protection and incontinence pads into fuel for power stations.
    On a similar note, I followed a tanker carrying human waste on my way to work this morning. It put a huge smile on my face for two reasons. Firstly, the number plate was P200 P00 , Secondly it had a sign on the back saying "This vehicle is carrying political promises".

So good to see a company with a real sense of humour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter