Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 4,938Posts
    • 8,511Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 19
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 18th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    This is quite amusing if you think about it:
    1) More RE than anticiapted has been successful in pushing down prices
    2) Therefore RE CfD payments are higher than expected
    3) Therefore RE is adding more to bills than expected

Except of course these bills are still lower than they would have been without RE resulting in lower prices in the first place....
    Originally posted by michaels
    Which got me thinking - what has happened to electricity prices - as I haven't really thought about it much other than always looking out for the best deal. I found a bill from Jan 2013 when I was paying 11.65 p/Kwh. I'm now paying 9.5p and the standing charge is down 5p per day too. Perhaps others here may have been more aware than me? Hopefully interesting enough though.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This is quite amusing if you think about it:
    1) More RE than anticiapted has been successful in pushing down prices
    2) Therefore RE CfD payments are higher than expected
    3) Therefore RE is adding more to bills than expected

Except of course these bills are still lower than they would have been without RE resulting in lower prices in the first place....
    Yep, glad you see the humour in the CfD element. We pay the same amount (price + subsidy) regardless of the breakdown of the two elements.

Another 'funny' thing is the government going on about us exceeding the levy control framework ..... well increase it then! Plus, as you mention, bills are lower than they expected them to be, helped by RE reducing peak prices, which should really be deducted from the 'subsidy' total if we want to be fair about it.

Germany is an interesting example, they have enough RE now to seriously reduce their average market price, but their bills are high due to the large amount of RE subsidies, catch 22.

Now they have, and are continuing to expand, a large RE sector they can look forward to low prices and low subsidies when the early high investments expire. Should they have waited? What is economically correct and what is morally correct?

For all the concerns in the UK, we've actually taken a more middle road.

Mart.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Which got me thinking - what has happened to electricity prices - as I haven't really thought about it much other than always looking out for the best deal. I found a bill from Jan 2013 when I was paying 11.65 p/Kwh. I'm now paying 9.5p and the standing charge is down 5p per day too. Perhaps others here may have been more aware than me? Hopefully interesting enough though.
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    The drop in the gas price (driven I believe by its link to the oil price(?)) has been the main driver of the price reduction.

I assume we'll see increases as coal drops off the grid, though its price is artificially low as it fails to account for air pollution and most of the CO2 cost. Gas will probably rise too. But the falling cost of renewables might be just in time.

If large scale storage is viable and economic, then it could mean an end to the massive peak prices which can run into hundreds of pounds per MWH, which even if only for short periods can push up the average market price, which in turn will impact the prices the leccy suppliers offer us.

I've posted this before, so apologies for repetition, but page 40 of this NAO report shows the significant revision that has been made on future wholesale leccy prices. By 2030 there's almost a £20/MWh (2p/kWh) difference now in expectations. This is part of the reason why CfD's are expected to contain a larger subsidy element, as can be seen on page 41 where the Hinkley subsidy is revised up from £6bn to £30bn (2013 v's 2016 expectations).

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 20th Oct 16, 9:10 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Onshore windfarms more popular than thought, UK poll finds

The ComRes poll, conducted for climate change charity 10:10, found that 73% of the British public supported onshore windfarms, with just 17% opposed, and the rest not sure. Strong support remained even when only considering the views of those from rural areas, who might live near windfarms: 65% support versus 25% against.

However, when people were asked what level of support they thought windfarms had across the country, just one in 10 said it was more than 70%. The average level of support estimated by people was just 42%, far below the true figure. Research for 10:10 conducted by Imperial College London showed that more than two-thirds of newspaper comment and editorial articles in the last five years were negative overall about windfarms.
    That's really impressive. I suspect the NIMBY attitude is reducing as more turbines are installed and folk find they are actually 'OK'.

Hopefully one day on-shore wind will be as massively popular as PV (),

The new poll showed even stronger public support for solar energy - 83% for and 8% against - but ministers have slashed solar subsidies.
    Mart.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Good news for the world, but Britain gets a 'could do better' from the teacher.

Renewables made up half of net electricity capacity added last year

(Not sure about H&S in the photo!)

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Similar to last post, note this is capacity not generation, but yet another milestone:

Renewable energy capacity overtakes coal

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Dong Energy considers sale of oil and gas assets to focus on windfarms

Offloading oil assets would result in the company, whose initials stand for Danish Oil and Natural Gas, focus on wind power instead, completing its transformation from fossil fuels to renewables.
    Perhaps a change of name to Dong Wind Power ..... DWP ..... perhaps not!
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 26-10-2016 at 8:34 PM.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Europe has bounced back a little on the world rankings, but UK is still slipping. Interesting brief on the European situation.

New projects boost Europe's attractiveness to renewables investors
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 26-10-2016 at 8:34 PM.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Nov 16, 9:00 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Some dramatic news for UK coal generation:

UK coal-powered electricity projected to fall by record amount

This article is suggesting a 2/3 drop on last year, if that's correct, then we could be looking at:-
    2014 31% of leccy generation
    2015 23%
    2016 8%?

For comparison RE delivered

2014 19.1%
    2015 24.7%

Claims that coal is cheap seem at odds with the facts. As soon as the plants were required to clean up emissions, pay a bit more for CO2, and compete with a gas price drop, they collapsed.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Nov 16, 5:57 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    UK climate targets at risk without government support for windfarms, says energy boss

The UK’s statutory climate advisers say that, while technically the UK’s carbon budgets could be met without onshore wind, doing so without it would be more expensive because it was so cost effective. Constraints on it would “necessitate deployment of more costly technologies and increase the cost of decarbonising the power sector,” the Committee on Climate Change said in the summer.

Analysts at Bloomberg have said that wind power is already the cheapest form of new power in the UK, and Anderson said that more onshore wind would be essential to keep energy bills down. But he said it was “extremely doubtful” the company would build any new onshore wind without support.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Nov 16, 12:01 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Evolt smart EV chargers to power up local power network trials

Evolt has been selected to provide electric vehicle (EV) chargers for a nationwide trial aimed at better understanding the impact of EV chargepoints on local power distribution networks.

Funded by Western Power Distribution (WPD) - the trading name encompassing four regional electricity distribution companies - the Electric Nation initiative aims to implement a prototype smart charging unit that will better manage power distribution at a local level at peak times.
    Interesting!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Nov 16, 9:30 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Background - there has been an awful lot of Aussie RE news around for some years as it's a hotbed of debate/argument over FF v's RE.

RE seems to be winning, as costs have tumbled. So it's interesting to see just how far, and fast some Australian states could move, and personally I'm shocked at the potential:-

Deutsche Bank sees South Australia at 95% renewables by 2025

Energy analysts at leading investment bank predict state of South Australia could easily beat aspirational target of 50% renewables by 2025, reaching 85% mark by 2020 and possibly as much as 95% by 2025.
    South Australia officially sources around 40% of its electricity from wind energy, and another 6% from rooftop solar. But with the completion of two new wind farms in the next 12 months – Hornsdale II and III – the share will likely total more than 50%, nearly 10 years before the government’s aspirational target.

Deutsche Bank believes that share will continue to grow, given its excellent wind and solar resources, its stated ambition to attract another $10 billion in renewable energy investment, and the impact of the federal renewable energy target.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Nov 16, 3:01 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    EU plans €320m funding boost for budding ocean energy industry

Some funding for the UK, but also this will hopefully boost technologies, and these should be of interest to the UK given our resources/circumstances.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Nov 16, 1:36 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Vattenfall secures contract for latest low cost offshore wind farm

Company announces it has won tender to build 600MW Danish offshore wind farm with a bid of €49.9/MWh
    WOW! Can't stress enough how low that price is. I assume that (unlike UK contracts) it won't include all infrastructure upgrade costs, and may be a simpler install, but even with a 30% mark up, that's still only €65/MWh. WOW!!!!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Nov 16, 5:45 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Tidal Power news.
    First power for Atlantis at MeyGen

Atlantis Resources has produced first power from its 6MW MeyGen tidal energy project in the Pentland Firth off the north coast of Scotland.

The developer said an initial Andritz Hydro Hammerfest 1.5MW turbine was successfully installed last week and plugged into a pre-laid cable.

“The project is exporting power for the first time, using only the tidally-driven water flows which rush through the Inner Sound of the Pentland Firth,” said Atlantis.

Everything you need to know about the 'incredibly exciting' giant tidal lagoon planned for Cardiff

Cardiff council leader Phil Bale has described a proposal for a giant tidal lagoon off the coast of Cardiff as "incredibly exciting".

The proposed lagoon would generate nearly as much electricity as the planned new nuclear power station across the Bristol Channel at Hinkley Point, Somerset.

It would be 10 times the size of the smaller "pathfinder" project planned for Swansea Bay and could supply every home in Wales with power.
    Not the best written article, especially the claim that it's powered by the rise and fall of the waves (I think they mean tides).

But a project close to my heart (and house!)

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Nov 16, 2:30 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Trump begins filling environmental posts with clowns

According to recent reports, Trump has picked long-time climate denier and spokesperson for the fossil fuel industry Myron Ebell to head the Environmental Protection Agency transition. This basically means the EPA will either cease to function or cease to exist. It also appears that the US will pull out of any agreements to limit greenhouse emissions.
    If the Environmental Protection Agency has a climate denier in charge, is it still an environmental protection agency?

To quote Dave Gorman's show - "If You Put a Sausage in it, It's Not a Viennetta"

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Nov 16, 11:24 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Could gas from grass rival fracking to heat UK homes?

The grass is always greener than the shale gas on the other side, according to a British businessman who claims grasslands could provide enough gas to heat all of the UK’s homes.

Dale Vince, the chairman of renewable energy company Ecotricity, is investing £10m in the first of a generation of what he calls ‘green gas mills’ that he says could compete against gas from fracking.

The company said its Hampshire plant at Sparsholt College, which has planning permission and is slated to be operational in 2018, will take grass harvested from nearby fields and break it down in an anaerobic digester.

Grass at the plant would be turned into biomethane within 45 days and then injected into the national network, providing the heating needs of more than 4,000 homes.

• michaels
    • By michaels 18th Nov 16, 3:01 PM
    • 18,107 Posts
    • 82,977 Thanks
    michaels
    Hmm - a bit like bio-ethanol...what happens to the cows that currently eat the silage?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hmm - a bit like bio-ethanol...what happens to the cows that currently eat the silage?
    Dunno ...... go out to Nando's!

I was wondering what happens to garden waste. Usually I mow the lawn once a week, no collector, and let the clippings break down in the lawn, but the last year, with our doggie (before she went to Leamington to get a job (stop sponging off us!)) I had to collect the grass, otherwise the dog and living room would turn green.

Our lawn isn't big, 40-50m2, but the cuttings would fill most of the green bin each fortnight. Does that all go for bio-gas, or composting or something?

Also in our park the council switched from regular mowing, to just twice a year (early and late) to create wildflower areas, we've done exactly the same with a small part of our lawn. When they mowed the 'wild' part they get 18 giant bales from it, but then leave these to rot in one corner, as apparently they are too poor a quality for animal feed due to possible litter and dog poo. I assume these would be useable for bio-gas too?

Perhaps I should read up on the subject!

• gefnew
    • By gefnew 18th Nov 16, 4:13 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    gefnew
    Hi Martyn
    There is a new eco generation plant that is just being finished at the water waste plant on rover way Cardiff.
    They will be taking household waste matter from the refuse teams and local farms, then it goes into a hopper and four large hydraulic rams crush all the liquid out of the waste and pump into storage tanks to digest and use the gas to run generating turbines.
    The pulp that is left goes to be composted.
    Just to let you Know.
    regards
    gefnew
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

5,708Users online

Martin's Twitter