Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NOWSE
    • By NOWSE 3rd Jun 15, 10:15 PM
    • 377Posts
    • 139Thanks
    NOWSE
    B & Q Diamond Card not as good as I'd thought
    • 3rd Jun 15, 10:15 PM
    B & Q Diamond Card not as good as I'd thought 3rd Jun 15 at 10:15 PM
    I have only recently passed 60 and therefore qualified for a diamond card. I had thought that any purchases that I made using the card on a Wednesday would qualify for the discount. It seems that the discount is only applicable on items being sold for their full price. any item in a sale or on any sort of offer is excluded.
Page 1
    • JustLikeThat
    • By JustLikeThat 4th Jun 15, 7:26 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    JustLikeThat
    • 4th Jun 15, 7:26 AM
    • 4th Jun 15, 7:26 AM
    No discount on any kitchen or bathroom items either. I went in with a list yesterday and was disappointed. I don't know if this is a new condition with the new card - we had an old one for many years.
    • nagisteve
    • By nagisteve 4th Jun 15, 3:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nagisteve
    • 4th Jun 15, 3:03 PM
    • 4th Jun 15, 3:03 PM
    There was never supposed to be discount on kitchen or bathroom and already discounted items, but the tills weren't smart enough so staff could get away with letting it through. Now the tills have been updated they can tell and stop the discount being applied.
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 4th Jun 15, 6:10 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    • 4th Jun 15, 6:10 PM
    • 4th Jun 15, 6:10 PM
    Actually B&Q are offering a lot of items with a huge discount and the card still takes 10% off. I purchased 16.00 worth of stuff only 1 item was at full price but I got 10% off the whole bill.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 4th Jun 15, 7:16 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 4th Jun 15, 7:16 PM
    • 4th Jun 15, 7:16 PM
    Anything already discounted doesn't get the 10% discount. Use B &Q most weeks on a Wednesday and this has been the case for at least the last twelve months. Surprised when visiting a few weeks ago and the assistant took my original card of 9 years off me and issued a new card as hadn't heard of the new scheme. Also bought a new sink and taps which, as already posted, didn't get the discount. To be honest I often find Wickes are cheaper than B &Q without extra discount.
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 5th Jun 15, 6:18 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    • 5th Jun 15, 6:18 PM
    • 5th Jun 15, 6:18 PM
    What do you mean by discounted? Most of my items were 'sale' I suppose. What is the difference?

Because I did get 10% off total bill which I can scan and prove.
    • nagisteve
    • By nagisteve 5th Jun 15, 6:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nagisteve
    • 5th Jun 15, 6:42 PM
    • 5th Jun 15, 6:42 PM
    Reduced to clear items would still get the discount. Items with 15% off or 3 for £10, for example, would have not have the discount taken off on top.
    • peter percent
    • By peter percent 21st Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    peter percent
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    • 21st Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    Thing that naffs me off about it is the silly Wednesday rule,for instance will all the tills be clogged up at 9am on a Tuesday/2.30 on a thursday? with old codgers trying to blag an extra 10% off,some people may NEVER be able to go on a Wednesday !I dont know of any other store or reward card that only operates just one day a week, this has had the opposite effect with me for small purchases , if I cant go on a Wednesday I shop at another place
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 21st Jan 17, 11:07 PM
    • 8,783 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 21st Jan 17, 11:07 PM
    • 21st Jan 17, 11:07 PM
    The best way to get the sort of stuff B&Q sell at a discount is to go to Toolstation or Screwfix instead.

I think the stuff in the garden centre isn't covered by the Diamond card either but could be wrong.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 21st Jan 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    When I worked for them any company price reductions or offers DID qualify for diamond discount, store mark downs do not qualify for extra discount. Kitchen, bathroom and bedroom stuff was suposed to be excluded but was hit and miss. The self scan checkouts used to accept diamond discount 7 days a week, they were struggling to find a fix for it!

For a good number of years staff discount was 20% and any other card gave 10%. When you swiped a discount card and the magnetic strip was damaged it defaulted to 10% discount, so a closely guarded secret within the business was that ANY plastic card whatsoever swiped after the discount button was pressed gave 10% off. We made sure checkout staff did not know this!!
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 11th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    We filled up one of those large trolleys with quite a bit of bathroom stuff took about 30 mins choosing cost about £350 got to checkout only to be told can't use Diamond card, no warning. I just left it all there at the check out and left in frustration, went elsewhere and got it all cheaper
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 11th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Plenty of places offering the same crap as B&Q at cheaper prices even like for like items.
    You could probably get most of it online delivered to your door for less than they charge.
    HTH
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    Altarf
    The best way to get the sort of stuff B&Q sell at a discount is to go to Toolstation or Screwfix instead.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    My local B&Q is the opposite side of the road to Screwfix, so I always check the price on their websites before deciding whether it is worth queuing up in Screwfix.

Recently I have found the prices in Screwfix are no cheaper than B&Q and often are slightly more expensive (buying 1 item and not bulk).
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8,783 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Contrary to their names I find Screwfix better for things like tools and Toolstation better for hardware.

B&Q seem to me to be moving away from DIY and hardware towards fitted kitchens etc. My local B&Q Superstore has sold off half its space for an Aldi supermarket so they can't be doing all that well.

I do get stuff at B&Q from time to time but certainly only on Wednesdays and after checking the other two's websites.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 12th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 12,623 Posts
    • 9,521 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I find B&Q expensive for most things. I really only use them for plants, some wood (not all), gravel. I mostly use toolstation as its close to me than screwfix and is close by too B&Q anyway

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I find B&Q expensive for most things. I really only use them for plants, some wood (not all), gravel. I mostly use toolstation as its close to me than screwfix and is close by too B&Q anyway
    Originally posted by Poppycat
    B&M bargains are much cheaper for plants and they are always having reductions when new stock is due. The last two years I've bought 24 plant trays of pansies and violas for £1 each.
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 15th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 17,794 Thanks
    evenasus
    B & Q have stopped the 10% discount for Diamond Card being used online. It's in store only.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy
    • lucielocket
    • By lucielocket 5th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    lucielocket
    Diamond discount for an online item
    Hi

Quick question!

I am thinking of buying a shed from B&Q that says the stores do not stock it, but if I go into a store, could I order it and still get the 10% diamond club discount?

Many thanks
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Apr 17, 5:12 PM
    • 18,863 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    We filled up one of those large trolleys with quite a bit of bathroom stuff took about 30 mins choosing cost about £350 got to checkout only to be told can't use Diamond card, no warning.
    Originally posted by letsbehonest
    The "warning" is in the terms and conditions you will have signed (but doubtless not read) when you applied for the Diamond Discount Card.
    • harrisom66
    • By harrisom66 27th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    harrisom66
    I was under the impression that using this card on a Wednesday entitled me to 10% on B & Q prices.

So I was a bit surprised to find it excludes items when you are buying goods on promotion. So if you are buying say 4 items for a certain price, there is no point in shopping on a Wednesday as you don't get any discount, just like any ordinary customer.

I am sure this is a new tactic by B & Q as I can't remember having this problem before.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement, I would have thought the discount offer would be across the board for ALL prices.

In future I will check prices without taking into account using the Diamond Club card discount and probably end up shopping elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,666Posts Today

6,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin