Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Legal Ombudsman
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question
    • 3rd Jun 15, 12:11 PM
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question 3rd Jun 15 at 12:11 PM
    Have you used a CMC to reclaim PPI or other financial products and received poor service? The Legal Ombudsman is here to answer your CMC queries and concerns. We resolve complaints about legal service providers and CMCs and our service is free.

It may be that your CMC has:
    • failed to do what they agreed
    • hasn’t handled your mis-sold PPI claim the way you expected them to
    • has been slow in responding
    • increased their charges without explaining why
    • unreasonably refused you a service
    • pressured you to accept a service you did not want
    We will investigate your complaint and if we decide the service you received was unreasonable, we can make sure your CMC puts it right.

How to get in touch with your questions and concerns

We're happy to answer your questions in this thread, so just reply below and we'll get back to you.

Alternatively there are lots of other ways you can get in touch.

1. Use our live chat function Mon-Fri between 08:30am and 5:30pm: https://legalombudsman.live-chat-help.com/
    2. Call us Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on our minicom 0300 555 1777
    3. Email us on cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk
    4. Or write to us at Legal ombudsman, PO Box 6804, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WG

You can also follow us on facebook or twitter @Legal_Ombudsman
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 21-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
Page 7
    • Derek1970
    • By Derek1970 5th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derek1970
    Hello my name is derek. After being bombarded with cold calls from a ppi claims company about ppi i decided to give in and let them check this out on my behalf. It is a company called the claims guys. On one claim they recovered a amout £164.98 and the second claim they recovered a total of. Just over £2500 which i thought was fantastic until i recieved letters for a charge for reclaiming these amouts i expected to pay some charge but i was not told that they wanted 30% of each claim for the amount of £164.98 they want £59.38 of that claim and the claim for £2500 they want a total of £921 i find these charges far to high and i was not informed of these charges until i recieved my payouts
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 6th Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    What you are telling us is that you bought worthless PPI without checking what you were buying first.

You then bought the, frankly, worthless services of a CMC without checking what you were buying first.

There seems to be a pattern emerging here.

I do not like CMCs at all and dislike the one you used in particular. However, unless you can show that the charges were not disclosed to you up front it looks like you will have to pay.

Next time check what you are buying before you sign up to it.
    • raboxo
    • By raboxo 27th Sep 16, 7:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    raboxo
    Trouble with a claims management company
    Hi after being hounded with what are really nuisance calls i reluctantly agreed to a company called Goldman Smith to look into any ppi i may of been entitled to, this was so i thought to silence them. However i never went any further with the process, I told them i did not want to because i just couldn't deal with the constant stress of calls,texts and letters. They have for the last 6 months been like a dog with a bone sending me texts, letters and calling several times a week which i have ignored. however now i am being threatened with court action as i have apparently wasted there time as they had started the initial sar searches of something. I really don't understand this but it is making me ill with the stress of worrying about court action. I have never had anything like this, i am a widowed parent of 2 children and just don't need this. Apparently i signed something at the beginning - which i did request a copy of for proof and yes i did it seems although i don't recall. there is only a 14 day cooling off period apparently and i asked to cancel outside of this so they can charge me £600. I have no means of paying this and i have tried speaking to them but got nowhere, ignoring it is not making it go away either. Can you advise if there is anything i can do as i do not feel this is right. Thank you
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 27th Sep 16, 9:41 PM
    • 85,129 Posts
    • 50,147 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi after being hounded with what are really nuisance calls i reluctantly agreed to a company called Goldman Smith to look into any ppi i may of been entitled to, this was so i thought to silence them. However i never went any further with the process, I told them i did not want to because i just couldn't deal with the constant stress of calls,texts and letters. They have for the last 6 months been like a dog with a bone sending me texts, letters and calling several times a week which i have ignored. however now i am being threatened with court action as i have apparently wasted there time as they had started the initial sar searches of something. I really don't understand this but it is making me ill with the stress of worrying about court action. I have never had anything like this, i am a widowed parent of 2 children and just don't need this. Apparently i signed something at the beginning - which i did request a copy of for proof and yes i did it seems although i don't recall. there is only a 14 day cooling off period apparently and i asked to cancel outside of this so they can charge me £600. I have no means of paying this and i have tried speaking to them but got nowhere, ignoring it is not making it go away either. Can you advise if there is anything i can do as i do not feel this is right. Thank you
    Originally posted by raboxo
    I will start with the telling off. You really need to stop entering contracts just because you are being sold to. You need to learn to say no. You are never going to meet these cold callers in person. Most cold calls are scammers or dodgy or from people you do not want to deal with. Hang up and do not engage with them in future. Some phones have an auto-block function (mine does) and it is great. Registering for TPS also helps.

You have entered into the contract and left it longer than 14 days. So, they have a right to charge you as per the contract terms. You are probably best at this stage to let them complete the process if it is a no win, no fee service.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • raboxo
    • By raboxo 27th Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    raboxo
    Thanks, yes i should of read the conditions better i accept that is my fault. i have never engaged in anything like this before and do not make any habits of entering contracts i was just caught at a weak moment. I take it there is little i can do, i want no further dealings with these people so don't intend to pursue any process.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Sep 16, 11:35 PM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    i want no further dealings with these people so don't intend to pursue any process.
    Originally posted by raboxo
    Unless you want to pay them £600 for nothing (or end up in court), I'd fill in their forms and let them progress with whatever complaint you might have.
    If your complaint fails, you'll owe nothing to anyone.

If it succeeds at least most of the redress will be yours to keep even though you'll still have to pay their fee.
    • majorchudley
    • By majorchudley 10th Oct 16, 6:52 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    majorchudley
    CMC selling
    I am currently using a CMC which have now started calling me to sell me critical illness cover. They are calling me at work and frankly getting right up my nose. They started by asking me if I was missold cover for illness and as I have a policy I explained who I was with I was then put through to a salesman who tried to sell me additional cover. Be warned everyone
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 10th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    I am currently using a CMC which have now started calling me to sell me critical illness cover. They are calling me at work and frankly getting right up my nose. They started by asking me if I was missold cover for illness and as I have a policy I explained who I was with I was then put through to a salesman who tried to sell me additional cover. Be warned everyone
    Originally posted by majorchudley
    Can you please name the CMC as this will help us to give more detailed guidance based on their regulatory status with both the MOJ and FCA.

This may sound odd but if they are trying to actually sell insurance they need to either be authorised by the FCA or an Appointed Representative of somebody who is. That would put the matter in the jurisdiction of FOS.

In my experience, the FCA and FOS are more likely to use their teeth than the MOJ and Legal Ombudsman.
    • JohnS303
    • By JohnS303 22nd Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnS303
    The Claims Guys Billing Me - But LOA not signed
    Hi and thanks for having me on the forum.

I'm looking for some help with The Claims Guys. I recently requested a PPI pack be sent to me to investigate if I had any accounts that they could help me with. I completed the various initial forms to start the process and the over the next couple of weeks received a variety of additional forms saying I had missed out vital information.

I then had a text from an old bank asking me to get in touch about 3 PPI claims which I did. Several weeks forward and on the 13th of Oct I had a letter from my bank and one from Claims Guys.

1. Bank - dated 13th Oct - offer of £6500, £1200 & £120 for the 3 accounts.

2. Claims Guys - letter dated 13th Oct saying the paperwork was missing vital information from my claim including signature - the part missing is the Letter Of Authority, I've kept this and haven't signed it.

I've now returned the bank offer direct to the bank accepting but I've had endless calls from the Claims guys and now today - 21st Oct letters wanting £3000 approx in fees for the above and again asking me to sign and agree then return the paperwork, which I haven't.

My question is, based on the fact that I have a letter saying I didn't complete the paperwork correctly from Claims Guys, where do I stand on having completed the claim directly with the bank on not paying the fees?

I have written to TCG's with a complaint and asked for an investigation to begin but they are calling me multiple times a day chasing me for payment I haven't actually had yet from the bank.

Thanks in advance
    J
    Last edited by JohnS303; 22-10-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: adding more info
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 85,129 Posts
    • 50,147 Thanks
    dunstonh
    If you entered in the contract then you are almost certainly liable to pay for them if it is form (rather than the contract) that was incomplete. If the contract wasnt signed then technically, you didnt enter in the contract correctly. However, if you went on to use their services without the contract being signed, that could possibly lead you to be liable for some costs. That is more of a legal issue.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    From the Legal Ombudsman
    Thank you for your query.

An important factor will be on what basis the Claims Guys were instructed and whether you signed the contract agreeing for the company to act on your behalf. We would also need to ask the Claims Guys for evidence of what work they carried out on your behalf. The contract is usually, but not always a separate document to the Letter of Authority which we note you did not sign. Please note that by not signing the Letter of Authority this does not automatically mean you are not liable for the Claims Guys fees.

We would require some further information and carry out a review of the evidence to determine if the Claims Guys can reasonably charge their fee.

Once you have raised a formal complaint the Claims Guys should provide you with their final response with eight weeks. We would suggest you call us on 0300 555 0333 and select option 1 and we will be able to discuss this with you further and advise you of your options.
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
    • Heidi1975
    • By Heidi1975 10th Nov 16, 7:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Heidi1975
    Hi , i need some advice on a CmC issue which is ongoing in the forums atm.

It is regarding a company called SmS Legal which has had it's Authorisation Cancelled last week by the Fsa.
    I wrote a letter to them of complaint and received a letter back on the 25th August saying they would be in touch within 8 weeks.
    The letter requested my refund of the initial fee i paid £495 as it has been a year since they received my money and i have had no claims refunded , they never replied in the 8 week window and still havn't and today i read a post saying their Authorisation has been cancelled and no one can get in touch with their office...
    Can you clear this up for me...what does it mean....??

Thx Heidi
  • Legal Ombudsman
    SMS Legal
    Hello Heidi, thank you for your query.

The Claims Management Regulation Unit cancelled Scarlet Marketing Services Ltd’s (also known as SMS Legal/U legal) license to operate on 27 October. As you have already complained directly to them, and as they have not responded to you, we are able to consider your complaint. Please contact us on 0300 555 0333. If you paid the upfront fee on either a credit or debit card, you may be also able to obtain a refund from your credit or debit card provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Take a look at this case study to see how we could help: http://bit.ly/2aw5yya
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter