Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 55
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 29th Nov 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    polymaff
    1- youíre married or in a civil partnership
    2 - you donít earn anything or your income is £11,500 or less
    3 - your partnerís income is between £11,501 and £45,000 (or £43,000 if youíre in Scotland)

Line 2 of their web site for eligibility.
    Originally posted by Purplehaze58
    Haven't you understood, yet? Have I wasted my time? The HMRC advice you quote is nonsense.
    • Purplehaze58
    • By Purplehaze58 29th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Purplehaze58
    Haven't you understood, yet? Have I wasted my time? The HMRC advice you quote is nonsense.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    Yes Iíve understood, donít get so stroppy! Iím just showing how what is written as eligibility on their site is utter nonsense and confusing to the layman.

And them saying that theyíll check, in their email, presumably to ensure you have earned nothing or less than £11500 before they process the claim, is nonsense.
    Weíre paying it back so thatís it.

Thanks for your input.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 29th Nov 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    badmemory
    Since HMRC had to outsource their IT their website has become (let's keep it polite) unreliable. I think it would be interesting to find out how much it saved, not forgetting to deduct from those savings how much extra they are having to pay for call centres to answer the phones & extra letters that are needed when this sort of thing happens.
    Last edited by badmemory; 29-11-2017 at 1:17 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 29th Nov 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    sheramber
    Yes Iíve understood, donít get so stroppy! Iím just showing how what is written as eligibility on their site is utter nonsense and confusing to the layman.

And them saying that theyíll check, in their email, presumably to ensure you have earned nothing or less than £11500 before they process the claim, is nonsense.
    Weíre paying it back so thatís it.

Thanks for your input.
    Originally posted by Purplehaze58

That is your assumption not what is said.

They could just be checking that the marriage allowance transfer was available for the year/s you claim, not whether you are entitled to claim it.
    • kothurthi
    • By kothurthi 29th Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kothurthi
    Is it also for people on Tier 2 visa in UK
    Hello,

Is this tax claiming applicable for people living in UK n Tier 2 Visa as well?
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 29th Nov 17, 11:00 PM
    • 7,373 Posts
    • 12,281 Thanks
    dori2o

That is your assumption not what is said.

They could just be checking that the marriage allowance transfer was available for the year/s you claim, not whether you are entitled to claim it.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    The wording is actually that they will check at the end of the tax year and notify if there is any tax due to be repaid or refunded.

The whole process is automated when done online. If the donor submits the claim and selects the box to confirm they understand the rules etc, then the claim goes through.

The information on the website makes it clear that responsibility lies with the person submitting the information.

Having dealt with hundreds of these claims I can honestly say that the biggest reason for things going wrong is because people dont read the information properly before submitting the claim.

Or they vastly underestimate what income they or their spouse are due to receive.

People also seem to be completely unaware of the effect that transferring 10% of their allowance has to their allowances, i. E that their allowance will reduce, so for the current year giving away 10% of the 11500 leaves them with only 10350 allowances, so if their income is below 11500 but above 10350 it will create a tax liability.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • Jen*H
    • By Jen*H 30th Nov 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jen*H
    Claiming if no longer eligible
    Can you claim for the last two years if you are currently ineligible (I am on maternity leave and being the basic rate tax payer will not earn enough to pay tax this year)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 30th Nov 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Can you claim for the last two years if you are currently ineligible (I am on maternity leave and being the basic rate tax payer will not earn enough to pay tax this year)
    Originally posted by Jen*H
    If you were eligible in the years you want to claim for then you should claim. Make sure you tell HMRC the year(s) for which you want to claim.

I am assuming from what you say that neither you nor your spouse will be liable for tax this year.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 30th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    badmemory
    Originally posted by Jen*H
    If you want to limit the years you apply for I would be inclined to do it in writing so you have proof what years you specified. If you do it by phone you could land up with unexpected bills for years you did not include.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 30th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Is this tax claiming applicable for people living in UK n Tier 2 Visa as well?
    Originally posted by kothurthi
    My understanding is that all you need is to have a National Insurance number (if you also qualify in terms of your incomes).
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Purplehaze58
    • By Purplehaze58 30th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Purplehaze58
    If you want to limit the years you apply for I would be inclined to do it in writing so you have proof what years you specified. If you do it by phone you could land up with unexpected bills for years you did not include.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    I agree. Good advice.
    • baxy
    • By baxy 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    baxy
    I transferred the full amount to my husband but since receiving my HMRC pension I am now over the tax threshold. Should I cancel the transfer?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 5th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    It depends on how much tax you will have to pay. It is still worthwhile for some people who are only just liable to tax but if you are going to be paying £230 or more you might want to reconsider.

Check gov.uk first though because when the year you want to cancel it from makes a difference as to who does the cancelling, you or your hubby.
    • Neilkenyon
    • By Neilkenyon 9th Dec 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Neilkenyon
    Can I ask I followed martins advice and applied for married tax as my wife earns less than &11000 per year and I earn less than £45000 we have had a letter now saying we owe them £400 and not the other way round how can this be?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    I'm pretty sure Martin Lewis has never given this advice,

I followed martins advice and applied for married tax as my wife earns less than &11000 per year and I earn less than £45000

Anyone who applies for marriage allowance either has extra tax to pay or it makes no difference. You can never ever pay less tax by applying.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 9th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 5,592 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Can I ask I followed martins advice and applied for married tax as my wife earns less than &11000 per year and I earn less than £45000 we have had a letter now saying we owe them £400 and not the other way round how can this be?
    Originally posted by Neilkenyon

Firstly, as Dazedandconfused said, I presume you mean your wife applied, as she is the one who is the lower earner ?

The marriage allowance works by allowing someone who isn't using their full £11,500 tax allowance to elect to transfer a fixed 10% to their spouse / civil partner, providing that the latter is not a higher rate tax payer.

For this year, your wife's tax allowance would effectively be reduced by £1,150 and yours increased by the same amount.

I think due to the low take up for this, when you now apply I believe that HMRC automatically award the allowance for tax years 2015-16 and 2016-17 as well as the current year. I think that the recipient of the transfer is sent a cheque for previous years - did you get one ?

There are a few ways that, having been given the allowance, you could then end up having to pay some/all of it back.

The ones I'm aware of are;
    - if the recipient was a higher rate tax payer in any of the years in question
    - if the transferer and recipient weren't actually married
    - if the transferer earns more than their reduced allowance (in which case they will owe some tax, but less than the recipient has received back)

Did the letter you've received not give any reason as to why you owe the tax ?

PS - be wary of using your real name on forums such as these, as you are giving away personal information
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 09-12-2017 at 4:37 PM.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 9th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    polymaff
    Originally posted by Neilkenyon
    Don't say "we" when talking about MAT. This is an arrangement between two connected individuals - and you must get clear which is which. For instance you say that "I ... applied for married tax ... " Did you really mean that the higher earner applied for MAT? Who did what - and who owes £400?

And what tax year(s)? £11,000 and £45,000 are parameters from different tax years
    • Emma2195
    • By Emma2195 10th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma2195
    Hello everyone,
    Please may someone advise me? I am a bit confused regarding the new marriage tax allowance amendment allowing someone to claim after their spouse has passed away. I am a widow as my husband died in 2003, so well before 2015. Can I still claim for marriage tax allowance or must your spouse have passed away AFTER 2015?
    I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me- thank you so much!!
    Kind regards,
    Emma
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Sorry for your loss but I genuinely don't understand your confusion.

Marriage Allowance started from 6 April 2015 so unless you were married on 6 April 2015 or later you cannot apply.

What have you read which made you think you possibly could apply?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 5,592 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Hello everyone,
    Please may someone advise me? I am a bit confused regarding the new marriage tax allowance amendment allowing someone to claim after their spouse has passed away. I am a widow as my husband died in 2003, so well before 2015. Can I still claim for marriage tax allowance or must your spouse have passed away AFTER 2015?
    I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me- thank you so much!!
    Kind regards,
    Emma
    Originally posted by Emma2195
    I don't think so. Looking at the draft legislation the amendments allow for applications for 'the tax year in which the individual dies, or an earlier tax year'.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-marriage-allowance-claims-on-behalf-of-deceased-partners
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter