Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 52
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    sheramber
    3. If your circumstances change

You or your partner can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change
    The date the allowance ends depends on who cancels it.

If you stop transferring the allowance to your partner, it will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

If your partner asks to stop receiving your allowance, HMRC will backdate the change to the start of the tax year you first started transferring it.
    • Loopy1
    • By Loopy1 9th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Loopy1
    Hello people just looking for some information we made our application for the tax allowance earlier in the year and they have agreed that we are entitled to it and have confirmed it will be backdated to 2015. The amendment to my tax allowance has been done but we have had no information or seen any payment for the backdated allowance that they stated would be paid by cheque within a few weeks. Has anyone had a similar issue or has any idea how long this process takes to complete. Any information would be helpful thanks
    Originally posted by cjs180uk
    Hiya I just came on to post the same thing. I have had my tax code changed and informed I have 2 years backpay...just wondering how long it takes but you appear to have answered my question!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    How have you been informed and what exactly do you mean by "2 years backpay"?
    • Loopy1
    • By Loopy1 14th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Loopy1
    Apologies incorret terminology what I meant to say is I am due marriage tax allowance from 2015-16 and 2016-17. I realised I could claim marriage tax allowance in September and was successful, my tax code for this year has just changed.

Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years but as my financial circumstances have not changed in those years there should be no reason why I should not receive it, in cheque form (approx £400)

I am just wondering how long it takes to receive those cheques but from what I have read I can't imagine they will rush to send these out.
    Last edited by Loopy1; 14-10-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years

Someone who applies for marriage allowance can only ever pay more tax (or the same) but never less as a result of applying.

It would be your spouse who is entitled to any refund which might be due. They need to check their position. You might have extra tax pay but it all depends on your income in those years and sometimes you will pay a bit but your spouse gets a bigger refund so as a couple you are better off overall.
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 14-10-2017 at 6:26 PM.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 7,324 Posts
    • 12,222 Thanks
    dori2o
    Apologies incorret terminology what I meant to say is I am due marriage tax allowance from 2015-16 and 2016-17. I realised I could claim marriage tax allowance in September and was successful, my tax code for this year has just changed.

Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years but as my financial circumstances have not changed in those years there should be no reason why I should not receive it, in cheque form (approx £400)

I am just wondering how long it takes to receive those cheques but from what I have read I can't imagine they will rush to send these out.
    Originally posted by Loopy1
    If it shows that 'YOU' applied for the Marriage Allowance transfer, that suggests that YOU have given your spouse the 10% of your allowance to them for those years.

If that is correct then your spouse can log into their online tax account and check for any tax calculations, or, check their income tax position for the 2 years previous to generate a calculation and refund.

If what you mean is that you can see that the transfer has been made in your favour but you have not yet received the transfer then you can log in online, go to check your income tax, review the 2015/16 and 2016/17 years and if necessary make a claim.

So, can you confirm what the account shows. Have you transferred the allowance to your spouse or is it the other way around?

Secondly, did you complete a tax return for either of those years?
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 16th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    • 810 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    badmemory
    Whilst they are changing the tax codes very quickly it seems to be taking several weeks to pay back previous years. From previous posts it seems to have taken a minimum of 5 weeks but that seems to be slipping out further now.
    • cjs180uk
    • By cjs180uk 18th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cjs180uk
    Hi does anyone know how long it takes to receive the backdated payments for this allowance. Our application was accepted some months ago and we had a confirmation to say we would receive the backdated payments to 2015. My tax code was adjusted quite quickly for the present year and we are seeing the benefit from that but the promised back payment from 2015 when this started has not materialised. We were told that we would receive a cheque for the previous 2 years back payments but nothing so far. Is there any way I can contact them to chase this up or is it just a process and we will have to wait until our claim comes to the top of the pile for processing. If anyone has any other information please let me know. Thank you
    • GrantWoody75
    • By GrantWoody75 19th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GrantWoody75
    Has anyone else lost out from doing this?

My wife works part-time and earns £10,800 a year. I earn £37,000 a year.

I've received a repayment of £429 which I'm told is for 2015/16 and 2016/17.

My wife has now received a demand for £435 for 2015/16 and 2016/17.

Did I get this badly wrong or has there been a mistake?

Spent nearly an hour on the phone to the tax office without getting anywhere. My wife now has to phone as well so they can look at her file.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 19th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Has anyone else lost out from doing this?
    My wife works part-time and earns £10,800 a year. I earn £37,000 a year.
    My wife has now received a demand for £435 for 2015/16 and 2016/17.
    Did I get this badly wrong or has there been a mistake?
    Spent nearly an hour on the phone to the tax office without getting anywhere. My wife now has to phone as well so they can look at her file.
    Originally posted by GrantWoody75
    It depends on your incomes and allowances for each tax year separately. The maximum rebate possible for the years 2015/16 & 2016/17 should be £432.

In the current year, if your wife's income is £10,800 and her allowances have been reduced (10% transferred to you) by £1,150 to £10,350 then there would be an extra tax liability for her of 20% of £450 (£10,800 - £10,350) = £90

You need to do similar calculations for 2015/16 and 2016/17 but, on the face of it, the demand from your wife seems excessive. It seems likely there are other factors involved here.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 19-10-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    sheramber
    Assuming your wife's income was £10800 for all years

2015/16 allowance 10600 less 10% = 9540
    income 10800 - 9540 = 1260 @ 20% = 250 tax due

Did your wife pay any tax 2015/16 as her income was over the personal allowance.? If she did then deduct that from the tax due of £250.

2016/17 allowance 11000 less 10% 1100 = 9900
    income 10800 - 9900 = 900 @20% = 180

total due £250 + £180 = £430
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 19th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    polymaff

My wife has now received a demand for £435 for 2015/16 and 2016/17..
    Originally posted by GrantWoody75
    Can you check the breakdown of those figures? We can't analyse your wife's figure without knowing her income in the two years, but your MAT credits should be even numbers of £s.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 20th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    polymaff

If the op is an employee not self employed then I think the figures make sense.

Op appears to have received the full MA credit for 2015:16 and 2016:17 less the tax they would owe because of the tax tables their employer would have used i.e. extra £9 allowances given in year which reduces the refund.

Conversely his spouse has given away 10% of their Personal Allowance so they owe an equivalent amount but they are having to pay the small amount owed under PAYE which is usually ignored.

The two combined gives (roughly) the £6 difference between refund the bill.

Given the op's comment "Did I get this badly wrong....." it seems likely he has persuaded his spouse to apply for Marriage Allowance without going to the trouble of actually checking what her income is in the relevant tax years.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I would have thought, though, that the rebate/underpayment for 2015/16 and 2016/17 would have been processed directly by HMRC rather than through PAYE which would be the case for 2017/18. I'm assuming here that the application for MA was during the current tax year.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 20th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Yes it would be direct not included in the current tax code but whenever they have sent me a refund they have sent a calculation showing the accurate position.

So when I have claimed work expenses of £500 they didn't send me £100 I got a calculation which showed my overall tax details for the year and I got a refund of £98, which I thought was the norm?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin