Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 48
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Yes, on gov.uk somewhere it says HMRC are reviewing last years tax between June and September so might be a month or two for 2016:17.

I guess 2015:16 was paid quickly because HMRC would have already got through reviewing everyone's tax for that year so no backlog.

I'm impressed that you applied and got a refund, for most people it is the spouse who didn't apply that gets the refund!
    • Rosrj1
    • By Rosrj1 2nd Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rosrj1
    Hi ... yeah i applied as i don't pay tax and my hubby got the refund which is all gd ... but did wonder about 2016/2017 as its only June and obviously a busy time for HMRC
    • Rosrj1
    • By Rosrj1 2nd Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rosrj1
    Yeah i know this .. we haven't received refund for 2016/2017 .. thats what i was asking
    • Rosrj1
    • By Rosrj1 2nd Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rosrj1
    Previous reply was for consumerist ..
    • Swanseanat
    • By Swanseanat 5th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanseanat
    Hi guys. Help me
    We applied for marriage allowance and got told we got accepted and they will send us a cheque.

Few weeks nothing !
    So we rang them up and apparently my husband underpaid his tax in 2012-2013 by £580 !!!
    Now I thought that was strange husband always paid his tax. He'd get a payslip every week and I always got annoyed on how much tax he paid.
    Now hubby being him just says it's obviously right. We'll have to pay it
    Me !!!
    Noooooo wayyyyy. Something's not right

They were taking off £300 odd of what they were giving us and taking it off the tax he owed. So only then owed £212
    But still. No !!

I got the Filing box out and luckily kept the majority of the payslips of that year.
    Sooo ...
    in early august his tax paid to year was £580
    Then 2 weeks later on payslips it shows tax paid to year £54 !!!!!
    £54 !!!!
    Then it just carries it on every week. But no sign of this £580 it's like it's disappeared !!!
    So his p60 showing £1005 tax paid
    But should be £1585 ( along them lines )
    He earned £15970
    So what he did pay is right. But it got lost somewhere

We've sent the payslips out last week but nothing as yet.

We have the proof he did pay it on payslips lucky I kept them. But surely it would have shown on the system he did pay it.
    Like where has the £580 gone
    And will they give us that cheque now as he didn't underpaid

I feel so stressed out over this.
    Just so glad I found the root to the problem. Just need to get it sorted now.

Anyone else been through this ???
    • Swanseanat
    • By Swanseanat 5th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanseanat
    Also company he worked for that year are now insolvent so can't go down that road. X
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    badmemory
    You need to check what the tax code was on both his pay slips. Also check total pay year-to-date do they follow on as they should. Is the company's tax reference the same on both payslips. Are you certain he didn't get a tax rebate? If there is a missing payslip you need to check what was paid into the bank.
    • Swanseanat
    • By Swanseanat 5th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanseanat
    Tax code on the tax paid to year which was £580 was 810L

But then the next payslip says 810L
    With tax paid to year says £54 !!!
    • Swanseanat
    • By Swanseanat 5th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanseanat
    All the income salary is all correct.
    It's just this missing £580
    I don't understand why it didn't carrying it on to the next payslip. Why it just started fresh in August
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    badmemory

I don't understand why it didn't carrying it on to the next payslip. Why it just started fresh in August
    Originally posted by Swanseanat
    This is why I suggested checking the employers paye reference on the pay slip. Just in case the company in trouble actually was sold to another company.

If you are missing a payslip between those 2 you mentioned all the tax may have been refunded on that payslip (you could try checking payments into the bank to see if anything looks odd!). Does the P60 (or any of the payslips) have anything like month 1 or week 1 or an X near the tax code - which does seem correct by the way.
    Last edited by badmemory; 05-06-2017 at 3:46 PM.
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 6th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6,445 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    cifpower
    Labour are planning to scrap this allowance if they win on Thursday

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-manifesto-tax-rises_uk_593666e0e4b0099e7faecf55?

• Nooneybin
    • By Nooneybin 9th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nooneybin
    How Long does payment take
    I applied for Marriage tax allowance last year and i have heard nothing from HMRC. Just gone online to redo the application and got told that it is active but i have heard nothing with regards to tax code change or backdated pay. Anyone know how long this is likely to take?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 8,340 Posts
    • 4,961 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Call them. The phone lines are much less busy on Saturdays.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    If you applied last year you should have got a new tax code but why are you expecting backdated pay? And do you really mean a tax refund? But same applies, why are you expecting one?
    • DawnH14
    • By DawnH14 25th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DawnH14
    Hi all

Just applying for the allowance, we were married October 2014 and have been eligible the whole time as hubby doesn't pay TAX and hasn't done since 2010 due to owning his business however the online calculator is saying we can backdate to 2016/2017 tax year and nothing about 2015/2016 tax year.

Changed our marriage date to 2013 just to see if it changed and it didn't. Reckon this is an error and I should ring them?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 25th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    The first year for marriage allowance is 2015:16 and although there are time limits for tax (normally 4 years) you still have plenty of time for that year.

If hubby is giving away the allowance he is the person who had to apply and maybe it's different if he's been filling in self assessment tax returns?

Rules are different for tax years which have ended so he will probably need to make three applications, one each for 2015:16 and 2016:17 and then one for the current tax year which will then continue until you either don't qualify or one of you cancels it.
    • DawnH14
    • By DawnH14 26th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DawnH14
    The first year for marriage allowance is 2015:16 and although there are time limits for tax (normally 4 years) you still have plenty of time for that year.

If hubby is giving away the allowance he is the person who had to apply and maybe it's different if he's been filling in self assessment tax returns?

Rules are different for tax years which have ended so he will probably need to make three applications, one each for 2015:16 and 2016:17 and then one for the current tax year which will then continue until you either don't qualify or one of you cancels it.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

He doesn't do SA, he takes a salary and dividends but doesn't pay any TAX on either. Yes he completed it as its him applying as he is the one who doesn't pay tax. We can't see any other option to apply apart from current year and then at the end as it says he qualifies for back pay for only for 16/17 tax year. It seems to be saying that no matter what info you put in. He's going to call them tomorrow to ask
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 26th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    polymaff
    ... hubby doesn't pay TAX and hasn't done since 2010 due to owning his business.
    Originally posted by DawnH14
    Businessmen do pay tax. Do you really mean that in seven years his business has made no profit at all?
    • leeroy3636
    • By leeroy3636 28th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    leeroy3636
    Marriage allowance tax
    Hi everyone, we have applied for this allowance, I am retired, I pay the basic tax rate on my pension, my wife works part time & does not pay tax on her income. Since applying I think ; although not sure, that my tax code has changed, when I say not sure, it was because we applied around the end of the tax year, so it could have changed anyway.
    We also applied for it to be back dated but I have not received a rebate.

Does anyone know if this is correct or what we should do, ie which of us applies for the rebate if applicable ?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 28th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    polymaff
    Hi everyone, we have applied for this allowance, I am retired, I pay the basic tax rate on my pension, my wife works part time & does not pay tax on her income. Since applying I think ; although not sure, that my tax code has changed, when I say not sure, it was because we applied around the end of the tax year, so it could have changed anyway.
    We also applied for it to be back dated but I have not received a rebate.

Does anyone know if this is correct or what we should do, ie which of us applies for the rebate if applicable ?
    Originally posted by leeroy3636
    By how much did your PAYE code change?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,969Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter