Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 153Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 45
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 17th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 4,557 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Hi who has to make the phone call the person who applied ( the person with none or lower income) or the person who's tax code has been changed?
    Originally posted by Elainer63
    . . . and both your tax codes will change. The non-taxpayer's (donor) code will decrease and the tax-payer's (recipient) will increase.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 18th Apr 17, 1:19 AM
    • 78,522 Posts
    • 9,650,221 Thanks
    weeowens
    You do not get this years by cheque, the increased tax code gives it week/month by week/month.
    Originally posted by notbritishgas
    Hi, isn't that what I posted ?

I know re this years tax code adjustment. It is for the last two years that I will get the cheque.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 18th Apr 17, 5:38 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    Hi, isn't that what I posted ?

I know re this years tax code adjustment. It is for the last two years that I will get the cheque.
    Originally posted by weeowens
    yes you did, my misread, it was the £400 that threw me.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    polymaff
    . . . and both your tax codes will change. The non-taxpayer's (donor) code will decrease and the tax-payer's (recipient) will increase.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Only if you have a PAYE code - and the donor could be a tax-payer.

The down-side of over-answering.
    • H1961
    • By H1961 18th Apr 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H1961
    Sorry didn't know how to post new question. Forgive me. Can't seem to get an answer to why 2 women living together cannot claim a tax break. Marriage allowance tax break applies to us but because we're not gay we can claim nothing. Anybody any ideas??
    • jsty3105
    • By jsty3105 18th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jsty3105
    Eligibility query:
    Scenario:
    - Me and my wife both have indefinite leave to remain visas and neither of us hold a British passport
    - I am a basic rate tax payer
    - She has a National Insurance number but is not working.
    - We have bank accounts under our names here

We were previously told by a customer service rep at HMRC that only British citizens can apply for this but I've not found info to back that up.

Looking through the previous posts on this thread, I've been unable to find anyone in a similar scenario to mine but I wondered if there were any lurkers about?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 18th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    H1961

I don't think whether you're gay or not is relevant.

Providing you are married or in a civil partnership then you would be eligible although other files may mean it's not worth claiming i.e. neither of you actually pay tax or one is paying higher rate tax.

This is on gov.uk and seems clear same sex married or civil partnership couples are included
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-transferable-tax-allowance-announced-by-government
    • Elainer63
    • By Elainer63 18th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elainer63
    I have just rang about the 2015/16 allowance ad was tol there has been problems which were sorted yesteday so letters wil be going out sooon followed by cheques
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 18th Apr 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Elainer63

Still waiting for 2015:16 myself, did they tell you there and then how much you were getting and how long for the cheque to arrive?
    • Elainer63
    • By Elainer63 18th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elainer63
    No I rang up about 15/16 was told they have had problems her looked and said problems sorted yesterday letters going out then cheques would be sent after but didn't say how long or how much
    • Number1ace
    • By Number1ace 20th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Number1ace
    I received the MA last year, how and when will I receive it this year.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 20th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    Alter ego
    I received the MA last year, how and when will I receive it this year.
    Originally posted by Number1ace
    Should be in your tax code for this year. You will receive it bit by bit each payday.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • LesU
    • By LesU 20th Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    LesU
    Probably obvious when reading the fine detail, but we've just wasted an hour applying for marriage allowance. My wife earns just below the personal allowance and did last year. I earn well above it.
    Nobody gave our circumstances as a scenario in all of the publicity hyp. surrounding this transfer.
    It turns out to be a complete waste of time, because for last year I will get a cheque and my wife will become a taxpayer for the same amount.
    Worst than that, I applied for the transfer to be ongoing. I have just gone on the website and cancelled the allowance transfer, only to be informed that it must now stay in place for the whole of this year. So my wife will pay tax this year as well, which I will have to pay her back for.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 20th Apr 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    If your wife earned below the personal allowance last year then it is normally still be beneficial overall, maybe just not by very much.

Only where she is literally four or five pounds under then you may well pay more tax overall as a couple as a result of claiming for 2016:17 (only pence more).
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 20-04-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    sheramber
    I am in a similar circumstance.

My husband gets the full allowance and I now pay £80 for the year.
    So a net gain for us.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 21st Apr 17, 7:18 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I am happy to see they have had issues with the 15-16 payments

My husband applied to transfer his allowance to me on his self assessment tax return for 15-16 back in January, but I haven't heard anything.

I have logged into my account and it I now showing as applied for marriage allowance retrospectively.

It wasn't showing at all a few weeks ago - hopefully I will get a nice cheque soon!
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 21st Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 5,719 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Any of the people apply from April got their £400? I was supposed to get £400+ but had £209 paid into my account today (Husband is self-employed so they must have details on file somewhere?!)

I'm assuming this is only for one year, so not sure if we'll get the other £200? I don't see why we wouldn't be eligible.

Did you get a letter or anything to say what was going off?
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,557 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Any of the people apply from April got their £400? I was supposed to get £400+ but had £209 paid into my account today (Husband is self-employed so they must have details on file somewhere?!) . . .
    Originally posted by Kayalana99
    The amounts involved are:
    2015/16: £210.00 £212.00 (£1,050 £1,060 tax allowance transferred)
    2016/17: £220.00 (£1,100 tax allowance transferred)

Edit: Oops! Don't know how that happened.

If you did not receive the full amounts for any particular year then that will be because of your tax situation - not your partner's.

It does, however, seem odd that you were paid only £209 (presumably for 2015/16). Perhaps you owed HMRC £1 in tax for that year or, maybe, you only paid £209 in tax for that year; HMRC won't refund tax you haven't paid.
    Last edited by Consumerist; Today at 9:26 AM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 21st Apr 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Consumerist

I don't think the op has told the full story in their post, see the thread on the Benefits and Tax Credits board.

If i was a gambler i would wager the op is the marriage allowance applicant, not actually the beneficiary. But happens to have received their spouses tax refund in their account.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 22nd Apr 17, 12:31 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 5,719 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    The amounts involved are:
    2015/16: £210.00 (£1,050 tax allowance transferred)
    2016/17: £220.00 (£1,100 tax allowance transferred)

If you did not receive the full amounts for any particular year then that will be because of your tax situation - not your partner's.

It does, however, seem odd that you were paid only £209 (presumably for 2015/16). Perhaps you owed HMRC £1 in tax for that year or, maybe, you only paid £209 in tax for that year; HMRC won't refund tax you haven't paid.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Will I get anything in the post do you think to tell me what is going on? It was £209.42 or something silly, are you sure it's £210 on the dot?

I've 100% not earned the tax threshold for past two years anyway.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,519Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin