Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
    • Pun
    • By Pun 2nd Sep 16, 12:02 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Pun
    If you're that bothered, why not send the link to John Lewis and ask them for their comments?
    • machloof
    • By machloof 3rd Nov 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    machloof
    Way to read low rating reviews
    Since I'm not allowed to add links as a beginner: this post is about the link in post #12

Log to the review website, you can find the total number of reviews. Divide the number of reviews by 5 and deduct 1 from the result to get the last page number.
    Add to the end of the web address /page number and it will take you to the last reviews with lower ratings.

Last edited by machloof; 03-11-2016 at 7:49 PM.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 8th Nov 16, 4:29 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    anotheruser
    My concerns are simple - if you leave them a bad review and it's less than 4 stars out of 5 - they simply won't publish it on their own website, they delete them instead.
    Originally posted by bacono
    Many, MANY websites do this.
    Just like Amazon's reviews are dubious. The whole "Question and Answer" thing is stupid. I've seen some replies that simply say "I don't know the answer - sorry" - that the hell is that?!

Eve (this is the yellow mattress yes?) seems to have had a marketing push after seeing something on Facebook, I thought I'd take a look.

There's other "hybrid" mattresses out there, url=https://www.leesa.co.uk/products/leesa-mattress]Leesa is another one[/url].

I'll get one... in about 3/4 years when my current one has "expired".
    • jerry9991
    • By jerry9991 20th Nov 16, 4:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jerry9991
    Since I'm not allowed to add links as a beginner: this post is about the link in post #12

Log to the review website, you can find the total number of reviews. Divide the number of reviews by 5 and deduct 1 from the result to get the last page number.
    Add to the end of the web address /page number and it will take you to the last reviews with lower ratings.

Originally posted by machloof
    Thanks for this machloof. Interesting to read the negative Eve mattress reviews. I'm not surprised they don't want them on their website!
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 12th Jan 17, 8:50 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cfw1994
    There's also www.simbasleep.com as well now.

I have just purchased a mattress from these guys so will see how it goes.

Finding real reviews for these mattress seem a bit light on the ground. However, Simba is sold at John Lewis.
    Originally posted by philljp
    Also interested in a review, now 6+ months on!
    Thx
    • tryfanterro
    • By tryfanterro 12th Jan 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tryfanterro
    my experience
    I fancied a go with the Eve mattress after watching many adverts and seeing the (now dubious) positive feedback. My issue: I ordered online and deliveries were scheduled between 0800 and 1900 , 2 deliveries on a single day. At 1700 an e mail to inform me that one delivery will not be happening. Roll forward to 1915, no second delivery. Called Eve, who said 'well if it's not with you yet then it probably won't be, I can call UPS but they probably won't get back to us'. They then explained that it will be delivered the next day, of course I was not happy as i had spent a day waiting for 2 deliveries but got neither. Next day, 1 delivery went to a neighbour, the next arrived with UPS some time later. The driver asked me to assist with what was an extremely heavy box, which i did, this is despite the doorstep promise from Eve. The box was filthy, so, when dragged to our bedroom left a very dirty carpet. Back on to Eve to express my annoyance and was offered a poultry mattress cover for my inconvenience. I was then offered, after several in depth conversations, £100 off if i were to cancel my interest free credit agreement and pay cash. A tempting offer? No, because this was a discount being offered at the time on their website. A few more telephone conversations and Eve's reluctance to accept that UPS are working for them, not me, they upped their offer to £150. By now I'd had enough and everything was going back. They still have no idea where my mattress had been and why it was not delivered. seemingly UPS are not very helpful. Worrying considering they are carrying nearly a grand's worth of goods. i was told terms and conditions state that Eve cannot be responsible for issues relating to deliveries and they use UPS to keep the cost down. I could not find any such term or condition in the small print. Anyway, my issue was clearly related to the logistics, not the mattress, but became that way when Eve continued to deny all responsibility for my wasted time, inconvenience, hassle and many, many minutes spent on the phone. Not a good experience.
    • JAS65
    • By JAS65 11th Feb 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JAS65
    Returning an Eve Mattress
    How did you get a return lable? I want to return my pillow for same reasons, it smells really bad. But they dont respond to their live chat or answer the phone!
    • ChloeBrook
    • By ChloeBrook 15th Apr 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChloeBrook
    Eve Mattress still doing ok?
    Hi Blissfulbabe

Saw your post about the Eve mattress - are you still happy with it?

Thanks
    :-)

I bought an Eve mattress about 3 months ago to replace my aging memory foam mattress - I have to say I think it's fantastic!

When I first lay on it I thought it was going to be too soft and not provide any support but I wake each morning without any aches and pains. It has all the advantages of a memory foam mattress but the layer of laytex on top mean you don't have that sinking feeling you get with memory foam and I don't feel I have to roll 'uphill' when turning over at night.

I realise three months is too soon to be able to say how well the mattress will last but my first impressions have been overwhelmingly positive
    Originally posted by blissfulbabe
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 15th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Lisbon
    If you manage to return one of these mattresses up to 100 days after it is delivered, what happens to the returned mattresses? How can anyone be sure their 'new' mattress hasn't already been used by someone else, probably without a mattress protector (yuk)?
    • pxtb
    • By pxtb 1st May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    pxtb
    If you manage to return one of these mattresses up to 100 days after it is delivered, what happens to the returned mattresses? How can anyone be sure their 'new' mattress hasn't already been used by someone else, probably without a mattress protector (yuk)?
    Originally posted by Lisbon
    Looks like they are being sold as 'rejuvenated' in livingsocial and wowcher - https://www.livingsocial.co.uk/deal/shop/1733243/169-instead-270-eve-mattress-single-premium?searchresult=true
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 1st May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Looks like they are being sold as 'rejuvenated' in livingsocial and wowcher - https://www.livingsocial.co.uk/deal/shop/1733243/169-instead-270-eve-mattress-single-premium?searchresult=true
    Originally posted by pxtb
    So you can have a re-covered second hand mattress (with no idea where it's been except under other people...) with no option to return after 100 nights if you don't like it...why on earth would anyone buy one? Yet over 1000 people apparently have, according the page where they are being sold.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 2nd May 17, 2:28 AM
    • 12,233 Posts
    • 11,535 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Maybe because they're half price?

Can't help wondering though; with all those new buy-to-rent landlords, how many will now be advertising with a premium price due to the "memory foam mattress" feature in their rent-to-the-masses flat...
    • Pun
    • By Pun 2nd May 17, 1:38 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Pun
    That sounds an awful lot of returns they are 'rejuvenating' - wonder what happens if you try to return one of these?
    • SarahMiles
    • By SarahMiles 16th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SarahMiles
    The Telegraph's Business Correspondent doesn't pull any punches talking about Eve. This article below is about their upcoming float and massive losses as a company. It costs them £250 to sell every mattress thanks to their marketing! 15% of customers return them. For those thinking they're getting a 10 year warranty with Eve mattress, think again. They might not be around next year at this rate!

Eve? You’d do better to stuff money under a mattress

There’s an old episode of The Simpsons in which Ranier Wolfcastle, a musclebound Teutonic action star, is interviewed about his new film. It’s an $80m production that he describes as “just me in front of a brick wall for an hour and a half”.

His exasperated interviewer, a highbrow film critic, demands to know how he sleeps at night. Wolfcastle deadpans: “On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies.” One wonders whether the people behind the stock market debut of Eve Sleep, a mattress seller that is raising £35m on Aim, might give a similar response if they were being candid. They must have been in dreamland when they put a £140m valuation on a company that made sales of just £12m last year.

Forget about profits and dividends “in the short and medium term”. Eve, which delivers vacuum-packed slabs of foam that top out at £950, says it want to spend all its earnings on marketing to increase its share of a fluffed up and absurdly defined “European sleep market” that it claims is worth £26bn. Eve-branded pyjamas and furniture offer massive opportunities for growth, we’re promised. Not that there are any earnings. It made a loss before tax of £11.3m last year, up from £1.5m over the previous 15 months.

The fact that none of the early backers are cashing in at this stage offers a little comfort to anyone considering buying the shares, but not much. If Eve was a great prospect they would surely reinvest. After all, it has only been two years since its first fundraising.

Either way, Eve definitely needs the money. It had £4.6m cash at the turn of the year and was burning almost a million pounds a month. In fact, the admission documents reveal that in March Eve had to bring in £5m in emergency funding from fund manager Neil Woodford, an existing investor.

“This investment was required to fund the company’s short-term cash requirements and was made to protect the investor’s original investment while the business sought a longer-term funding solution,” the admission document reveals. That long-term funding solution, it seems, is catatonic punters on Aim.

Regardless of the cash injection, the odds are against Eve. It is just one of a pile of venture capital-funded companies selling mattresses online. In essence it is mostly a brand, and one that is fundamentally quite similar to its rivals. Most of us only buy a new mattress about once a decade.

Building a powerful brand around such a transaction will probably be difficult and definitely be expensive. It costs Eve nearly £250 in marketing and other costs to sell each mattress.
    The fact that the float has attracted only two new institutions to invest above 3pc, Standard Life and Hargreave Hale, points to Eve’s uncomfortable financial prospects. If a company at so early a stage and so far away from profitability has already become too risky or expensive for its own venture capitalists, alarm bells should ring.

On top of that, this year has been very quiet for new listings. Any company that braves that market in the middle of a General Election campaign is over-confident or a touch desperate.
    Regardless, there are probably better places to put your money than Eve shares. Under a mattress, for instance.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 16th May 17, 1:26 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Marcon
    A very useful article/warning - thank you!
    • mrmagica
    • By mrmagica 3rd Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrmagica
    It's been a couple of years since I last looked - but I'm pretty sure 100% memory foam mattresses are a budget choice, and not ideal. It is unlikely a bed in a box is going to be good as a high quality pocket sprung mattress, with a layer or either latex or memory foam on both sides. I think the buzz around memory foam made people think this was the best possible tech, and you can find one for as little as £100. Find a high quality pocket sprung with the foam top = best of both worlds with quality inner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

7,943Users online

Martin's Twitter