Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 48
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 23rd Aug 17, 1:19 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thank you so much eDicky, I will have to have a look at those, although having not used pre paid cards I have a couple of questions already. Are they easy to apply for, can you apply for them through this site, and don't they charge you somewhere along the line either for putting money on them, I assume you put it on in sterling and they convert it, but wouldn't they charge then?
    Originally posted by Sammyg
    For Cyprus, get a Metro Bank card. Monzo might introduce ATM withdrawal charges at some point.
    Monzo, Loot, Starling Bank are better for worldwide travel.
    • clappyclaps
    • By clappyclaps 29th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clappyclaps
    Hi all,

How easy is it to manage/view transactions on the Clarity, Monza or Revolut cards? How quickly do the transactions tend to appear on your account or be debited from the preloaded amount?

I'm only asking as I'm debating getting one of these cards for my trip to the USA in 3 weeks, instead of doing my usual which is taking all cash. However I usually give myself a daily budget and so ideally I need to be able to monitor what I've spent on a daily basis, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do with any of these cards. My only alternative is to keep receipts and count up at the end of the day.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 29th Aug 17, 11:24 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Monzo, Starling Bank, Revolut will show immediately. Clarity may show as Pending for some hours
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Aug 17, 2:01 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    eDicky
    I need to be able to monitor what I've spent on a daily basis, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do with any of these cards.
    Originally posted by clappyclaps
    It's very easy with Monzo, Loot and Starling Bank, transactions appear instantly on the app (if your phone is online) and itemized reports are available. Loot has a kind a budgeting function (which I haven't tried). The Halifax app also gives instant indication of Clarity card transactions, initially as 'pending'.
    • clappyclaps
    • By clappyclaps 30th Aug 17, 5:51 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clappyclaps
    That great to hear, thank you both very much!
    • Kimberliexx
    • By Kimberliexx 31st Aug 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kimberliexx
    Prepaid Cards - Asia
    Hi any recommendations for prepaid cards to use in Asia - 5 week trip Mainly used for accommodation tia
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    eDicky
    For anyone looking to sign up for sterling bank and is looking for a passcode they can use this Y2RU83D6
    Originally posted by Ian786
    Is that the Wisconsin, Missouri or Nigerian Sterling Bank? I don't think any of them do prepaid cards...
    • Banshee298
    • By Banshee298 3rd Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Banshee298
    Hi everyone,
    I'm not a well-travelled person, the last time I went abroad was 17 years ago and I went with parents who were all clued up on the way to do things at the time.

I am going to Australia for 3 weeks and think a pre-paid card would be a sensible option but although I've looked at the Monzo card which seems to be highly rated I can't see a very good explanation of what the Mastercard rate is or what other charges there are (if any). I'm sorry, I'm just not very good at this!

My mother is also going and she doesn't have a smartphone (hence the earlier commend about clued up at the time!!!), can you recommend a card that would be good for her?

Thanks in advance!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Sep 17, 3:30 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    eDicky
    I can't see a very good explanation of what the Mastercard rate is or what other charges there are (if any). I'm sorry, I'm just not very good at this!

My mother is also going and she doesn't have a smartphone
    Originally posted by Banshee298
    Monzo has no fees and the daily MasterCard rate is the best you can hope for.

For your mother the Virgin Money Essential account gives a MasterCard without overseas fees for purchases, £1.50 per cash withdrawal, and requires no smartphone.
    • Cee.mass
    • By Cee.mass 4th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cee.mass
    Hi all,

I created a new thread but just realized theres a section here dedicated to travel cards.

I'm Just looking for some opinion and advice. I've searched the forum and it seems like the general opinion is Monzo and Revolut are the best PrePaid Travel cards.

Unfortunately I've left this to the last minute and am travelling to Malta on Thursday. Both these cards require around a week turnaround time it seems.

What other provider would anyone recommend for withdrawals and purchases that i could collect in person or receive in 2 days?

Many Thanks
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    eDicky
    Have you signed up for Monzo? The card usually (used to at least) only take a day or two to arrive.

If you are in southeast England with access to a Metro Bank branch you can walk in, open an account and walk out with their fee-free for Europe debit card in about forty minutes.

A Revolut card can be dispatched very quickly for additional fee.
    • Cee.mass
    • By Cee.mass 4th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cee.mass
    Thanks for the response.

I haven't signed up for Monzo, just presumed it would be too tight to try get it in time.

I'm in Scotland so Metro bank may be out of the question. Is there any major negatives with high street travel agent cards? (Thomson, Travelex etc)

Thanks again
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    dj1471
    Is there any major negatives with high street travel agent cards? (Thomson, Travelex etc)
    Originally posted by Cee.mass
    Yes, they will cost you a lot in fees and/or exchange rate loads. Compare to the cost of using your existing credit and debit cards before purchasing any of these.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Soldo provides supplementary cards for minors and good value for overseas use. Monthly fee begins after three months. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

https://family.soldo.com/en-uk/c/family/
    Originally posted by eDicky
    The problem with Soldo now which has been the problem since they became their own payments processor, is the speed in which credits get into the account. While they do receive Faster Payments on the day it is sent according to my statements, credits appear on the account the next working day. That means that if you credit the account by Faster Payments on a Friday you're stuck till Monday. These days that is way too slow.

Not a problem if credits are done by bank transfer and the Soldo account can be credited a few days before the money is needed but for credits which are urgent look elsewhere.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 21st Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Monzo card
    After some advice, please.

I am off to Canada soon and have received a Monzo card as my cash card. I am taking Canadian Dollars as well and also my credit card.
    I have put £100 on the Monzo card to start me off but on reading the info that came with it saying the card is only beta as yet so take another card as well, I'm a bit wary of putting any more money into it.
    Thoughts please. I haven't been abroad for years so things have changed a lot.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 21st Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    After some advice, please.

I am off to Canada soon and have received a Monzo card as my cash card. I am taking Canadian Dollars as well and also my credit card.
    I have put £100 on the Monzo card to start me off but on reading the info that came with it saying the card is only beta as yet so take another card as well, I'm a bit wary of putting any more money into it.
    Thoughts please. I haven't been abroad for years so things have changed a lot.
    Originally posted by harrys nan
    When is soon? Why are you taking C$??
    • Frugalsnail
    • By Frugalsnail 21st Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frugalsnail
    Last time we were abroad a few years ago (Corfu) we used a Halifax Clarity card and a Caxton prepaid card with no problems. It seems from the advice like we'd be better taking a Monzo card now. I dont find the website as as clear as the Caxton website and it seems there are less ways of loading money on the card. I guess I can download and use the app (not used to apps but can learn!) but what's this about Beta and taking an alternative card? Not very reassuring. If the card is contactless, what if you're shopping somewhere in rural France that's not set up for contactless? Also, do you need to be always signing on to wifi to check the app? Revolut seems to be the same. Loot seems to allow loading on the website but has the mag stripe transactions switched off so take another card. What does that mean? Would we just be better sticking to the Caxton which seemed to work everywhere last time?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 21st Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Last time we were abroad a few years ago (Corfu) we used a Halifax Clarity card and a Caxton prepaid card with no problems. It seems from the advice like we'd be better taking a Monzo card now. I dont find the website as as clear as the Caxton website and it seems there are less ways of loading money on the card. I guess I can download and use the app (not used to apps but can learn!) but what's this about Beta and taking an alternative card? Not very reassuring. If the card is contactless, what if you're shopping somewhere in rural France that's not set up for contactless? Also, do you need to be always signing on to wifi to check the app? Revolut seems to be the same. Loot seems to allow loading on the website but has the mag stripe transactions switched off so take another card. What does that mean? Would we just be better sticking to the Caxton which seemed to work everywhere last time?
    Originally posted by Frugalsnail
    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Monzo will soon start charging for ATM withdrawals abroad.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 21st Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    harrys nan
    When is soon? Why are you taking C$??
    Originally posted by WAYT
    going the end of October and taking a small amount of cash just for the first couple of days. Why would any of that make any difference?
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 21st Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    going the end of October and taking a small amount of cash just for the first couple of days. Why would any of that make any difference?
    Originally posted by harrys nan
    Because Monzo starts charging for ATM withdrawals abroad some time this year.
    Buying C$ here is expensive and a waste of time. The chance of no ATM machines working at the airport on arrival must be close to zero.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin