Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• So far have used the Revolut card in India, Canada, South Africa and the US without issues and at excellent rates. However, that isn't the real benefit. The real benefit is being able to send my daughter extra money in seconds while she is travelling. Its also useful for avoiding the punitive transfer fee that AirBNB levies on US rentals. Top up then enter your details and use any postcode (I used 90210) when you pay. Viola, avoiding £90 transfer fee for my holidays.
  • I have decided to get a revolut card to go to New York in May but am getting concerned about the pound weakening so want to try and lock in the rate sooner rather than later. Do i need to wait for the card or can i load it straight away using the app? Thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do i need to wait for the card or can i load it straight away using the app? Thanks
    You can load and exchange within the app immediately after installing it and signing up (<£750 before ID verification).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • I've had both the Fairfx euro and dollar cars for at least 5 years and for for my needs, the euro very good in the euro zone. The currency rate is much better than banks and it's easy to load extra cash while away. I use it to pay in restaurants and draw cash from ATMs, when its better to take enough cash for a few days as its it's the same charge for any amount. I was happy with the dollar card until our last trip away to Mexico when I had problems both in a restaurant and a resort where we stayed. On both occasions it appeared that the card had been refused and I paid another way only to find that my account showed 'authirisations' on the account. I eneded up with nearly 500 dollars. that were 'frozen' in the account. I have no idea why happened and it hasn't happened before and I wasn't able to sort it in the country despite help from Fairfx as the merchants just weren't interested. I know have to wait 21 days for them to be cancelled by Fairffx.
  • Peribanu
    Peribanu Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2016 at 1:05PM
    ath021075 wrote: »
    My husband and I are in a similar situation. We used to use Kalixa, which was great, no problems whatsoever to load at their website, we used it fine in many different countries around the world, and the exchange rates were quite good, but today I got the closing account email. From what I read the Revolut seems to be good (almost no fees, good exchange rates, works around the world), but as we have Windows phones, we cannot use it. If someone has any suggestions...
    I'm in the same situation (Windows Phone). Revolut seems to think no-one uses Windows Phone, despite 10% market share in the UK, and it's really about time they built an app OR provide access to Revolut via the Web or a Web app, like any other decent financial company. Here are some workarounds:

If you've got an iPad, you can run Revolut on that. If you have a small PC laptop or tablet that you can travel with, then run Revolut via Bluestacks (search for it, I'm not allowed to post a link). You don't have to pay for Bluestacks -- say no, if you are asked if you want to "go premium". Once you've installed the Bluestacks, you need to set up an Android instance in it (it's not hard), then when you've entered the info it asks for, including a Google account, you can search for the Revolut app on Google Play inside Bluestacks.

When you set up Revolut, enter the phone number of your Windows Phone, as you will need to receive a code via SMS (this would be the same on the iPad). This all works fine, I've done it myself, with my Windows Phone. In-app chat works too. But Revolut, please provide us with a better solution!!!! (Hint to Revolut: use Islandwood to port your iPhone app to Windows Phone/Mobile -- it's not hard! Or even better, use Xamarin to write the app once and publish to all platforms at once.)

The downside of the Bluestacks (or iPad) approach is that you really need to travel with your laptop or tablet, otherwise if something goes wrong, you've got no way to contact support. If you're not taking your laptop/tablet with you, you can still top up your Revolut card by bank transfer, but it's not instant as with debit card topups, which can only be done in-app. You can now check your balance at an ATM abroad.
  • sandiego
    sandiego Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well i just think im going to go back to using travellers checks a lot less hassle.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    sandiego wrote: »
    Well i just think im going to go back to using travellers checks a lot less hassle.

Good luck. You'll need it!
  • Jane10o0
    Jane10o0 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Revolut is an absolute con! Has anyone else found this. Can't believe MSE promotes them
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Jane10o0 wrote: »
    Revolut is an absolute con! Has anyone else found this. Can't believe MSE promotes them

In what way is it a con?
  • Hi All,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm new to all this.
    The company I have booked my holiday to Florida with have given me a free Centtrip travel card, preloaded with $50.
    Should I use this and then just cancel the card just in case they charge non-usage fees or something? I normally use a Halifax credit card when abroad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback