Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 44
    • jtaubman
    • By jtaubman 28th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jtaubman
    We went to India earlier in the year, we took both Revolut and Monza cards. We had no problem with the Revolut card, but the cash machines in India are the older type and require the mag stripe, so we were unable to withdraw money on the Monza card.

So make sure you take a couple of types of card just in case.

Previously we have used the FairFX cards in the EU for several years with no problems.

Since returning I have moved to using the Revolut card for most of my internet purchases, since it's often possible to purchase in USD cheaper than GBP.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 28th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    No-one seems to mention the reaction of the trader or person abroad from whom you are purchasing with the use of a credit card. Do they not add a premium to the bill?
    Originally posted by greymoney
    Some do. Most don't. A bit like the uk.
    • Travelman123
    • By Travelman123 30th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Travelman123
    Monzo Beta issue
    I have just received my Monzo card and noticed a warning that as it is currently in Beta stage it is best to carry an additional card. I was hoping to only carry one prepaid card. Has anyone had issues using the Monzo card?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have just received my Monzo card and noticed a warning that as it is currently in Beta stage it is best to carry an additional card. I was hoping to only carry one prepaid card. Has anyone had issues using the Monzo card?
    Originally posted by Travelman123
    I have not heard of any problems with Monzo until yesterday in the prepaid thread on the banking board, somebody had their card blocked. I think Monzo are unique in warning that you should carry backup, but it's never wise to rely on a single card when traveling, beta or not.
    Last edited by eDicky; 30-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    • borntobemild
    • By borntobemild 30th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    borntobemild
    Two Monzo cards
    I'm wondering about both me and my husband getting Monzo cards so as to get around the £1000 limit in a month - two weeks holiday coming up and I'd like to take next to no cash with us and just withdraw euros as needed. We have a joint account - do you think they'd be happy to give us a card each, and would each card have a separate £1000 limit even though they're both attached to the same bank account?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky
    Each Monzo card will have its own limits as a separate account, regardless of how funded. They will be happy if you also use the cards for purchases, to give them a little revenue...
    • Markhy81
    • By Markhy81 4th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markhy81
    Caxton FX
    Hello just after a little advice please, i have recently got a Caxton FX prepaid Mastercard for a trip to Spain and was wondering if anyone had had any nasty surprises when withdrawing money from ATMs.

Read a few horror stories of people being charged extortionate fees from vendors when withdrawing money

Any advice on what ATMs to use to avoid any of these nasty surprises?!

Thank You in advance

Mark
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky
    Read a few horror stories of people being charged extortionate fees from vendors when withdrawing money
    Originally posted by Markhy81
    Your card holds euros but will be recognised by the ATM as a UK card. It may offer to debit your card in pounds, so be careful, always select 'Without Conversion' and avoid any option that mentions pounds. Otherwise Caxton will charge to use your euro card for pounds and the ATM will give a terrible rate for changing the pounds back to euros! (There are much better cards available).
    • Markhy81
    • By Markhy81 4th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markhy81
    Caxton FX
    Caxton state they don't charge for ATM withdrawals?!

But they do however mention that I could be charged by the vendor?!

So if I just avoid all mention of £ I should be ok?!

Thanks
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky
    Caxton don't charge for ATM withdrawals in the currency of the card, but if pounds are taken from a euro card there will be a fee or terrible rate or both.

If an offer of conversion, mentioning pounds and an exchange rate appears on the screen, make sure you decline it. Also make sure you pay for purchases in euros. Attempts to offer payment in pounds is common in Spain.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 12,404 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Just taken some money out of an ATM using a Clarity. Was offered an on the spot conversion rate of 1.02.

We declined.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Markhy81
    • By Markhy81 5th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markhy81
    Thank You
    Thanks much appreciated

Will update with what i experience and any hidden charges I may have on my return
    • Clare Alison
    • By Clare Alison 7th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clare Alison
    WeSwap or Monzo; which prepaid card is better for purchases and cash withdrawal in Europe? Many thanks
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky
    WeSwap or Monzo; which prepaid card is better for purchases and cash withdrawal in Europe? Many thanks
    Originally posted by Clare Alison
    Monzo requires no planning ahead and waiting in order to get the ideal rate, then again to exchange back what you don't spend. It holds your money in pounds until you use the card, give the ideal rate with zero fees and is simplicity itself (unlike WeSwap, which I don't use).
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    adindas
    I understand with Revolut the Free ATM withdrawals is up to £200/€200 per month.

If for instance I withdraw EUR100 today July 8th and then EUR100 the following week July 15th. When is the earliest date I could withdraw without attracting 2% charges ???
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    dj1471
    I understand with Revolut the Free ATM withdrawals is up to £200/€200 per month.

If for instance I withdraw EUR100 today July 8th and then EUR100 the following week July 15th. When is the earliest date I could withdraw without attracting 2% charges ???
    Originally posted by adindas
    In my experience it's a rolling month, so August 8th. I'm sure it's detailed on the website somewhere.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    eDicky

Originally posted by adindas
    I've always understood it to be per calendar month, in which case you can withdraw again without fee on Aug 1st. So if your trip spans the end of month you can withdraw 400 with no fee. But I don't have actual experience...
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    adindas
    In my experience it's a rolling month, so August 8th. I'm sure it's detailed on the website somewhere.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I've always understood it to be per calendar month, in which case you can withdraw again without fee on Aug 1st. So if your trip spans the end of month you can withdraw 400 with no fee. But I don't have actual experience...
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Apart from EUR200 limit, Is there any limit for the number of withdrawal. For instance just to be used to get a small denomination of money from cash machine ??
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 8th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Originally posted by Clare Alison
    If you have access to a safe deposit box just take cash.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 12,404 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    If you have access to a safe deposit box just take cash.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Having seen a safe deposit box ripped out, or rather where it should have been, I certainly wouldn't trust my valuables in one.

I haven't taken cash abroad since the mid 90's.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,086Posts Today

7,196Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin